• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 4 or AGAINST |OT| of Huelen in Green-Eyed Heaven

RobbieNick said:
(scores)

Am I the only sane person who just thinks the iPhone version is an okay, "flawed but fun" game?

More like "NeoLAF" AmIrite?:D

2eBKe.jpg

Saying the game is flawed and then posting reviews that are 5/5 and even B's is kinda odd, don't you think?

Or is it just so majestically fun that it obtains a very high or perfect score even through flaws that involve controls, physics, presentation and polish, and graphics? So fun in fact, that people dogging on the game are mistaken?

Us silly peasants judging a game based on its own merits, psh.

Teknoman

jman2050 said:
Seriously, it's a platformer on the iPhone using the same shitty dpad controls as always. Even if the game were actually good it wouldn't be worth $5, let alone $10.

Also I'm still LOLing at people who expect dramatic game-changing improvements in the console version.

Well some levels were changes, and animations as well, so thats sorta game changing.

Im still reserving my judgment for when I play the PS3 demo.

RobbieNick

FunkyMunkey said:
Saying the game is flawed and then posting reviews that are 5/5 and even B's is kinda odd, don't you think?

Or is it just so majestically fun that it obtains a very high or perfect score even through flaws that involve controls, physics, presentation and polish, and graphics? So fun in fact, that people dogging on the game are mistaken?

Us silly peasants judging a game based on its own merits, psh.

I'm merely poking fun at both extremes. Either folks are saying it's the worst game ever or the best. I seem to be the only one saying it's just okay.

With the amount of total shit that is poured on the AppStore daily, Sonic 4 is seen as pure gold to these guys and thus they give it perfect reviews.

I hope their "reviews" don't hold any weight towards Metacrtic scores and such. Oh, they do?

Yeah, this is why I stopped reading (well, relying on) reviews years ago.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I'm not falling for the GAF hate crowd, hopefully there will be a demo and I will try it out for myself. I think the HD graphics look good! So the rest is controls.

jetsetfluken said:
With the amount of total shit that is poured on the AppStore daily, Sonic 4 is seen as pure gold to these guys and thus they give it perfect reviews.

I hope their "reviews" don't hold any weight towards Metacrtic scores and such. Oh, they do?

Yeah, this is why I stopped reading (well, relying on) reviews years ago.

Maybe you should have stopped reading reviews when you realized that different people have different opinions and all won't equal to yours?

Or you can lump together all reviewers and say they give a game a score because they've all fallen in the same psychological trapdoor, thus keeping your belief that there is only black and white! (Don't take my comments too harshly, they are not meant to personally offend!).

WillyFive

jetsetfluken said:

If your theory is correct, then the console versions would need lower scores. Let's find out.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Willy105 said:
If your theory is correct, then the console versions would need lower scores. Let's find out.

I assure you it will, even if it's the better version.

Lijik

SwiftSketcher said:
People who are complaining about controls have obviously not played Sonic 1 or 2 on the iphone. Sth4 is a noticeably easier to control.
I find the exact opposite to be true, to be honest.

Lijik said:
I find the exact opposite to be true, to be honest.
I played Sonic 2 with a controller recently and had a much easier time beating the game than the iphone version. Actually, I haven't even managed to beat Sonic 2 on the iphone yet.

TheOGB

Banned
Jazzy Network said:
I wouldn't say I loved 3D Blast but I liked it. Saturn version was good and the soundtrack by Richard Jacques was amazing.
Let me in said:
i fucking love you people

Diablohead said:
they're still making N64 games?

I gotta say, I am not liking any of what I'm seeing so far. I've yet to play it but discounting the 4, this still just looks like an extremely mediocre Rush game.

And I have to say how much I hate that last Badnik in Splash Hill Act 1 and how its placement can make you lose all your rings at the literal last seconds of the level unless you use a homing attack.

Somebody please tell me it isn't always in a position to fuck you over. RobbieNick?

The jumping just doesn't feel nearly as tight as it does in the original Sonic games. Whereas games like New Super Mario Bros and the new NBA Jam meticulously have recreated every single detail of their predecessors and seem like a labor of love, some of the stuff here seems haphazard and careless. Theres absolutely no momentum involved in jumping. Jump right and let go of right in mid air, and Sonic drops like a rock. Spin dash, jump and then let go of the controls and Sonic will stop on a dime.

I was excited to see the same Bonus level from the original Sonic, but its all about the details and something small like not having that sound which plays when you run out of time and the screen spins like in the original game makes the game feel a little sloppy and unpolished. Reminds me of Mortal Kombat Trilogy which was kinda broken gameplay wise and missing a lot of sound effects too. It looked and mostly played like Mortal Kombat, but it wasn't up to the same level of polish that MK2 or MK3 were at.

So far I've played two levels and one thing that strikes me is it seems as though the jumping pads/boost pads sometimes throw you into a situation where you land right beside an enemy or onto spikes and I think thats a little unfair. From what I remember in the original Sonic games (and I don't remember it too well-- I'm not really a hardcore Sonic fan), the challenge would not be getting smacked by hidden traps in places which involve a lot of speed, but it was seeing the dangers clearly in places where you had to stop due to blocked terrain and figuring out how to traverse them to be able to GET to the jump pads or useful items.

Also think its sloppy of them to not support iOS4/retina display natively. This would be a much better looking game with retina display, higher res textures and if it was running at 60 FPS. And if they don't plan on doing that, they shouldn't sell this at a premium price.

The only reason I can think about giving sonic that stupid method of jumping and letting go to drop like a brick is because the base engine is just sonic rush, the jumping was like that in rush too.

This game has to have been made on the smallest budget ever and they have the cheek to call it sonic 4 and hype it as a true sequel :/

Dimps would have been better taking the sonic advance 1 engine, reskinning it and calling it a day, at least that felt like a sonic game.

*edit* It's been nearly 24 hours now since the UK release of sonic 4, to those who live over the pond this is how the UK app store top-selling games look:

169mflu.png

To hit that mark you need to sell a tens of thousand copies at least. :(

Sonic 4 has an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 :(

It is also listed as iphone game of the week, fuck!

DigiMish

Maybe because the majority of the people that downloaded it... I don't know... dare I say it in this thread... DARE I?

... liked it?

The exact same thing is going to happen with Sonic 4.

Sean

Banned
If it makes you feel any better Sonic 4 is ranked quite a bit lower on the US app store. #17 on the Top Paid list, meanwhile Sonic 2 (which is on sale for $1.99) is at #7.

#17 is probably still a ton of copies sold though, and Sonic 4 is #2 on the "Top Grossing" chart.

Sean said:
If it makes you feel any better Sonic 4 is ranked quite a bit lower on the US app store. #17 on the Top Paid list, meanwhile Sonic 2 (which is on sale for $1.99) is at #7.

#17 is probably still a ton of copies sold though, and Sonic 4 is #2 on the "Top Grossing" chart.
I just checked the grossing chart here and sonic 4 is first, followed by cut the rope at number 2. damn uk'ers :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
DigiMish said:
Maybe because the majority of the people that downloaded it... I don't know... dare I say it in this thread... DARE I?

... liked it?

The exact same thing is going to happen with Sonic 4.

There were people who liked Shadow the Hedgehog too.

DigiMish

Andrex said:
There were people who liked Shadow the Hedgehog too.
Exactly. It's all about the audience. And the audience is receiving this game positively. Can you rate iPhone apps anytime, or do you have to purchase it first?

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Diablohead said:
To hit that mark you need to sell a tens of thousand copies at least. :(

Sonic 4 has an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 :(

It is also listed as iphone game of the week, fuck!
:lol These updates are fun.

Ixzion

jetsetfluken said:
Unfortunately, that extremism will be seen by the casuals, and it will be bought in droves, just as Capcom was praised for "bringing back the classics" with MM9 when it was just a ROMhack of one of the simplist (to-retile and modify) NES games.
How about 16-bit Mega Man X sequel? Too much work. And not with Inafune in charge with his childish hatred towards X because things didn't go his way back then. We "CapGod" make Mega Man Universe instead. You buy.

Shots fired!

Capcom said "Hey guys, we're bringing a classic-styled Mega Man game called Mega Man 9 to you guys!"

Capcom delivers Mega Man 9, which controls just like the classic MM2 and feels like it (physics all there) AS PROMISED, with new bosses and enemies, kick-ass new music (that sounds like the classic tunes) and new well-designed stages (which feature things that the NES could not do) which add a new flavor to what we've known Mega Man to be. Mega Man 9 stands toe-to-toe with the best of the Mega Man line of games.

Sega said "Hey guys, we're bringing a classic-styled Sonic game called Sonic 4 to you guys!"

Sega delivers Sonic 4, which DOES NOT control like the classic Sonic games and DOES NOThave the same tight physics of the classic line of games. This IS NOT what was promised. The stages and bosses are seemingly rehashed versions of what we had before (it's more of a remake than a main entry, from what I can tell), only done with less success. Most of the soundtrack is a weird psuedo-classic-ish style that is mediocre, at best, and fails to hit the right feeling that true classic Sonic music does (Splash Hill as it is decent, but geckoyamori does a MUCH BETTER JOB at making it sound like a classic Sonic song.). Sonic 4 can not hold a candle to any of the mainline Sonic games, as many of the replies in this topic seem to attest to.

When you compare MM9 to Sonic 4, the contrast is glaring, to say the least.

The people buying this game, when they can already see and acknowledge that the quality isn't up there and that there's been lie upon lie stacked to convince people that "classic Sonic is back", are baffling. I'd rather crumple up my $15 and eat it. How can you actively see that it's terrible, complain for months, and still give Sega your damn money? It feels like I'm taking crazy pills!

That said, I've already said goodbye to Sonic. I'm just watching everything unfold now. This topic is going to be the last one I post in because it's the last time I'll let my hopes get inflated by Sega regarding Sonic because I know Sonic 5 will just be Sonic 4 Part whatever.

clav

Ixzion said:
Capcom said "Hey guys, we're bringing a classic-styled Mega Man game called Mega Man 9 to you guys!"

Capcom delivers Mega Man 9, which controls just like the classic MM2 and feels like it (physics all there) AS PROMISED, with new bosses and enemies, kick-ass new music (that sounds like the classic tunes) and new well-designed stages (which feature things that the NES could not do) which add a new flavor to what we've known Mega Man to be. Mega Man 9 stands toe-to-toe with the best of the Mega Man line of games.

Sega said "Hey guys, we're bringing a classic-styled Sonic game called Sonic 4 to you guys!"

Sega delivers Sonic 4, which DOES NOT control like the classic Sonic games and DOES NOThave the same tight physics of the classic line of games. This IS NOT what was promised. The stages and bosses are seemingly rehashed versions of what we had before (it's more of a remake than a main entry, from what I can tell), only done with less success. Most of the soundtrack is a weird psuedo-classic-ish style that is mediocre, at best, and fails to hit the right feeling that true classic Sonic music does (Splash Hill as it is decent, but geckoyamori does a MUCH BETTER JOB at making it sound like a classic Sonic song.). Sonic 4 can not hold a candle to any of the mainline Sonic games, as many of the replies in this topic seem to attest to.

The people buying this game, when they can already see and acknowledge that the quality isn't up there and that there's been lie upon lie stacked to convince people that "classic Sonic is back", are baffling. I'd rather crumple up my $15 and eat it. How can you actively see that it's terrible, complain for months, and still give Sega your damn money? It feels like I'm taking crazy pills!

That said, I've already said goodbye to Sonic. I'm just watching everything unfold now. This topic is going to be the last one I post in because it's the last time I'll let my hopes get inflated by Sega regarding Sonic because I know Sonic 5 will just be Sonic 4 Part whatever.
I actually like Act 3 done in the Sonic 2 style: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eev7lcV1tag&feature=related

Otherwise, I agree with everything you've said. This game is definitely not what the fans wanted. To call it Sonic 4 is blasphemy.

RagnarokX

Ixzion said:

Very well said.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's funny how, in retrospect, the Sonic Cycle marches on. I once argued that it simply MUST be over if they're busting out the "4".. But no, I was wrong. I underestimated modern Sega's shittery. Sonic Cycle is still very much at play.

Teknoman

Add me to the Sonic 3d blast soundtrack Saturn ver. fanlist.

Awesome stuff. And Sonic Cycle might not be in play for long once Colors console version hits. The game releases in November, and no horrible gameplay ideas have surfaced.

Oh and lets just wait to mess around with the console versions. Complain all you want if its crappy then...but to judge the game based on the Iphone version is like judging SFIV based on that.

Not saying the game will be awesome, but c'mon.

RobbieNick

BocoDragon said:
It's funny how, in retrospect, the Sonic Cycle marches on. I once argued that it simply MUST be over if they're busting out the "4".. But no, I was wrong. I underestimated modern Sega's shittery. Sonic Cycle is still very much at play.

Wrong Sonic Cycle says it has to include both friends and new friends and have shitty reviews. Not just that a batch of people on GAF hate it. Reviews have been very positive.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I guess you're right, this is much worse than the usual cycle.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
RobbieNick said:
Wrong Sonic Cycle says it has to include both friends and new friends and have shitty reviews. Not just that a batch of people on GAF hate it. Reviews have been very positive.

If there's hype, then disappointment, about a Sonic game, that is the Sonic Cycle. The other technicalities usually follow, but not always.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Ixzion said:

Good point, though I'm still looking forward to enjoying this game.

Firestorm

RobbieNick said:
Jesus really?

He's referring to the typical bait and switch bullshit from Sega and the typical "OH MAYBE THIS TIME" behaviour of fans. Shitty friends have really had nothing to do with anything in the series aside from increasing the chances of gameplay in a style that isn't appropriate for a Sonic game.

RobbieNick

Andrex said:
If there's hype, then disappointment, about a Sonic game, that is the Sonic Cycle. The other technicalities usually follow, but not always.

Yea, let's just ignore everything on the cycle, not to mention it's mainly a batch of folks on GAF hating on the game while it gets rave reviews elsewhere. Yea. Let's just make the rules up as we go.

Keep pumping out the melodrama GAF, it's entertaining reading. Also, keep buying games you hated on months before they came out.:lol

Bought the iPhone version.

It's really shit. My main issues are the physics, soundtrack, and controls. Now I'm wondering if I should spend another $15 for the console version.

Maybe I'll put that $15 towards Sonic Colors DS. It seems to be the better 2D Sonic game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't hate the game, I think it's a serviceable iPhone game with exceptionally poor branding.

That doesn't stop the Cycle from being in full-effect within the community.

RobbieNick said:
Yea, let's just ignore everything on the cycle, not to mention it's mainly a batch of folks on GAF hating on the game while it gets rave reviews elsewhere. Yea. Let's just make the rules up as we go.

Keep pumping out the melodrama GAF, it's entertaining reading. Also, keep buying games you hated on months before they came out.:lol

Arguing about whether or not this game followed the Sonic Cycle is just as melodramatic as the Cycle itself.

Interesting side note: Sonic 4 comes out the day the milk in my fridge expires. Coincidence?

LaneDS

Ixzion said:
(Splash Hill as it is decent, but geckoyamori does a MUCH BETTER JOB at making it sound like a classic Sonic song.)

Damn, haven't heard the original, but that version is pretty great and sounds like what I would have expected from the soundtrack to Sonic 4.

Rez said:
I don't hate the game, I think it's a serviceable iPhone game with exceptionally poor branding.

Agreed.

In the game's defence, though -- it has some pretty good level design and platforming.

Rez said:

For some fans, the Cycle is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Jonnyram

Wait, this game is out on iPhone already?
Because I can't find it on the App Store in Japan, and there's been no press releases here either afaik.

Ixzion said:
at best, and fails to hit the right feeling that true classic Sonic music does (Splash Hill as it is decent, but geckoyamori does a MUCH BETTER JOB at making it sound like a classic Sonic song.). Sonic 4 can not hold a candle to any of the mainline Sonic games, as many of the replies in this topic seem to attest to.
This tune always reminds me of Ristar more then sonic when played in that cheerful style.

SnowTeeth

Banned
I'm happy that I bought the game and I'm enjoying the levels I've played so far...

....what I don't like has already been covered here. The fucking ridiculous way Sonic controls and the mediocre soundtrack are true disappointments. Any why no retina visuals?

Another thing that shits me is the fact that there's a jump button. Wouldn't it be easier to have Sonic jump by simply tapping the screen? I've lost count how many times I've missed the button and lost rings as a result. It just seems beyond stupid to me.

Diablohead said:
This tune always reminds me of Ristar more then sonic when played in that cheerful style.

Sonic Colors appears to have a really good soundtrack, at least based on a few of the tracks I've heard.

It's a shame Sonic 4 seems to be underwhelm in this regard. The genesis games had such terrific soundtracks.

SnowTeeth said:
I'm happy that I bought the game and I'm enjoying the levels I've played so far...

....what I don't like has already been covered here. The fucking ridiculous way Sonic controls and the mediocre soundtrack are true disappointments. Any why no retina visuals?

Another thing that shits me is the fact that there's a jump button. Wouldn't it be easier to have Sonic jump by simply tapping the screen? I've lost count how many times I've missed the button and lost rings as a result. It just seems beyond stupid to me.
With a 1 button game I agree, going back to Bounce On with tilt controls the jump was done by touching anywhere on the screen and it worked really well, still a favourite platformer on iOS.

Nexus Zero said:
Not really - Sonic games don't have to be shit.
Right, but games like Sonic Rush aren't shit, but for some fans, they're still let down by them. They have a specific Sonic game in their heads every time SEGA makes an announcement, and the odds of the game SEGA's making ever matching that is close enough to nil as to be negligible.

Top Bottom