• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 4 or AGAINST |OT| of Huelen in Green-Eyed Heaven

The Awkward Wizard said:
A bit off topic, but I've always wondered why Sonic CD has yet to be released on any of the digital download services for consoles/computers. Does anyone know?
Sega CD cannot be easily emulated for whatever reason, and the source code's gone, IIRC. They can and have ported the PC version to other platforms, but it's not a good port.

RobbieNick

Anth0ny said:
Fixed for stupidy :D

Fixed again!!:D

Oh, this is gonna be fun.

Nice job on the OP Willy.

Anticitizen One said:
soniccd-cover.jpg

Every single game mentioned in this thread is awesome compared to this shit.

Fixed another.

WillyFive

I AM JOHN! said:
Sega CD cannot be easily emulated for whatever reason, and the source code's gone, IIRC. They can and have ported the PC version to other platforms, but it's not a good port.

It was ported to the Gamecube using the PC version as well.

They have a habit of porting PC versions, it seems.

Lijik

I AM JOHN! said:
Willy105 said:
It was ported to the Gamecube by using the PC version.
Sega ports the PC version when they need to port Sonic CD.

Sciz

The Awkward Wizard said:
A bit off topic, but I've always wondered why Sonic CD has yet to be released on any of the digital download services for consoles/computers. Does anyone know?
Sega can't be arsed to write a Sega CD emulator and porting the PC version around takes actual work.

Sonic CD really isn't as good as everyone says it is. It's got some nice elements, but it's got funky physics, weird level design, and hunting out robot generator locations without a guide is kind of boring because they're always hidden in some really nasty places.

It's still a great game, mind you, but not the gold standard everyone claims. :p

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I've never really played Sonic CD seriously. I remember being put off by the art as a kid and then never being able to get by that fucking pinball boss.

Lijik

Sega1991 said:
It's still a great game, mind you, but not the gold standard everyone claims. :p

Well if I've learned anything from Sonic threads its that everyone has their own personal fucked up standards so stop caring about them.

TheOGB

Banned
Sega1991 said:
Blasphemy.
I agree.

Are they ever going to do WiiWare demos again? Because they should do one for this. I don't feel like going all the way to my friend's house just to play this.

The Awkward Wizard said:
Because it's Sega.

Sega1991 said:
Sonic CD really isn't as good as everyone says it is.
Shut up. >:|

It's definitely not my favorite Sonic game, but it has some really interesting ideas that I'd love to have seen expand upon rather than deny the game's existence, not the least of which being that game's take on level design and exploration. Plus, I really like the Peel Out. Too bad the expansion on Sonic CD we're going to get is Sonic Advance HD: Episode 2. :\

IrishNinja

I AM JOHN! said:

never got to play the port, any details on its suckery?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
IrishNinja said:

Bad sound quality, missing effects like water transparency and long, ugly loading screens for starters.

The best option is to get the Mega Drive version and play it on an emulator. EU or JP for the superior soundtrack.

goldenpp72

sega cd can't be emulated easily? I can run a sega cd emulator at perfect speed on a psp while snes still doesn't work, if a company can't run a sega cd emulator at top speed on a current gen console they should just close their doors.

_Alkaline_ said:
The shift to a hip-hop new jack swing sound for 3 was a great shift for the series and totally fitted it. It's also no surprise that the MJ stuff is the best in the game, though Hydrocity Zone (particularly Act 2) is beyond brilliant. And Kuckles has flying Battery which is godly. I also liked the addition of having different tracks for each act as it provided some extra variety.

I wouldn't say 3 is a clear winner. Given 2 has stuff like Metropolis, Chemical Plant, Aquatic Ruin, Emerald Hill, Mystic Cave, etc. But I rate them both very highly as game soundtracks.

Sonic 1 is all class too, but it doesn't quite match the compositions of its younger brothers. It does have Starlight Zone though.

As for 4, from what I've heard I'd say the compositions themselves are pretty good, but god some of those synths are too retro for their own good. They actually manage to sound more dated than the Genesis games. Melodically though they're pretty solid.

I agree with everything said here, but I want to say something that might prove unpopular, but whatever: The cheesy American Road-Rock that the series shifted to in Sonic Adventure was also a perfect fit. Azure Blue World, Dilapidated Way and Robotnik's Theme all fit the fabric of the series and the characters perfectly. When it's not rock that soundtrack is still hitting the right buttons - the theme of the Egg Carrier, for example, is a great classic synthy Robotnik theme.

I think when people remember Sonic Adventure they tend to remember the character themes, which were cheesy as fuck (in the bad way) and Knuckles' god awful rap music in every level, but other than those things the music for all the other characters was awesome and a great step for the series. Sonic Adventure 2's soundtrack was similarly quality (but continued the theme tune & Knuckles missteps) and then Heroes... everything Heroes onwards eiter isn't very memorable, or isn't very Sonic. The soundtrack is probably the best thing about Sonic 06, but the main problem with it is it doesn't fit the series and character too well.

I think the ultimate proof that Sonic Adventure's music fits well with old Sonic is this remake of a Sonic 3 song in that style, by one of the original composers. So good.

goldenpp72 said:
sega cd can't be emulated easily? I can run a sega cd emulator at perfect speed on a psp while snes still doesn't work, if a company can't run a sega cd emulator at top speed on a current gen console they should just close their doors.
They haven't bothered to pay for or commission a SEGA CD emulator because 99% of the people playing won't notice the difference between Sonic CD PC and Sonic CD SEGA CD, and the 1% that do notice buy the shit anyway. Even if the emulator only costs $5 to develop, it's a needless expenditure.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Segata Sanshiro said:
They haven't bothered to pay for or commission a SEGA CD emulator because 99% of the people playing won't notice the difference between Sonic CD PC and Sonic CD SEGA CD, and the 1% that do notice buy the shit anyway. Even if the emulator only costs $5 to develop, it's a needless expenditure.
To be fair, the Sega CD version actually has a lot of slowdown issues. The emulated PC version, on the other hand, runs smoother overall. Only difference is the addition of ugly ass loading screens. If not for that, the PC version would be superior at this point.

There may be other subtle differences, but really, a perfect 60 fps more than makes up for it. The slowdown on Sega CD was embarrassing.

IrishNinja said:

The PC port itself is not awful, outside of a poor sampling rate for sound effects. Like many older games, it can be a bit of a bear to get working on modern systems - even Windows XP. There's fan-made patches you have to deal with and such if you want to play it nowadays. Besides that, though, it's as good or better than the Sega CD version.

The port in Sonic Gems, though, mangles the PC port in a couple of ways. I actually made a comparison video earlier this year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwKs6b8BIvI

WillyFive

luka said:
Bad sound quality, missing effects like water transparency and long, ugly loading screens for starters.

The best option is to get the Mega Drive version and play it on an emulator. EU or JP for the superior soundtrack.

Other than the missing water transparency, the Gamecube version was just fine, and it had no load times.

Although the special stage is WAY too fast.

0 HP

playing sonic cd back when it came out, as an 8 year old or w/e, is like dropping acid. i can't believe you people are actually saying its shit lol

WillyFive

0 HP said:
playing sonic cd back when it came out, as an 8 year old or w/e, is like dropping acid. i can't believe you people are actually saying its shit lol

It's not a bad game at all. It's just the usual GAF over-reaction, don't worry about it. Just because it's as good as the trilogy, it doesn't mean it's a bad game (something more people here should learn).

0 HP said:
You've clearly mistaken Sonic fans for stable, reasonable people.

Sonic 2 and 3 are also terrible amiriteeee?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Sonic CD was fantastic. Just a notch below 3&K and 2. Sure, it was quirky at points, but it was still damn fun, and a crazy ride.

I mean, the metal sonic race as a kid had me more pumped than most other games ever had, period.

Fuck the haters.

0 HP

SwiftSketcher said:
You've clearly mistaken Sonic fans for stable, reasonable people.

Sonic 2 and 3 are also terrible amiriteeee?
i like everything pre dreamcast. after that i guess i either outgrew it or it just got stupid

Suairyu

Banned
Stat Flow said:
Sonic CD was fantastic. Just a notch below 3&K and 2. Sure, it was quirky at points, but it was still damn fun, and a crazy ride.

I mean, the metal sonic race as a kid had me more pumped than most other games ever had, period.

Fuck the haters.
That was actually my biggest disappointment in the entire game. After all the build up to the confrontation I felt the actual thing was severely lacking.

Adverts made it look way more fun.

But then, SEGA have a talent for making Sonic commercials that seem better than the game.
0 HP said:
i like everything pre dreamcast. after that i guess i either outgrew it or it just got stupid
Pretty much this, a couple of the game gear games aside. But Sonic Unleashed did have one or two levels of exhilarating brilliance. Worth the bargain-bin price I paid for it.

Kulock said:
One of the primary control methods is tilt controls. You don't actually rotate the phone along with the loop, you just keep it tilted, and you stay with Sonic's viewpoint while he runs around it, so tilting left and right still sort of make sense.
Did you have to rotate the d-pad in the Genesis games everytime Sonic did a loop? No, you just held it in the direction you were already running. No need to spin the god damned screen.

Suairyu said:
:lol :lol :lol

The Spoony Hou said:
Did you have to rotate the d-pad in the Genesis games everytime Sonic did a loop? No, you just held it in the direction you were already running. No need to spin the god damned screen.

If they had the hardware to spin the screen in 1990, they might have tried it.

There's actually curley-q thing in Sonic CD twice in Palmtree Panic, it's not a loop exactly (even though I think it was intended to be), but if you watch the background behind Sonic, it flips upside down as you run around it until it launches you from the top, it's basically showing a loop from Sonic's perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amM1g2ph_7Q#t=1m50s

Besides, this is being marketed to people who haven't either touched a Sonic game in years, or maybe never at all. It might actually be something that makes more sense to them, since their input is primarily limited to tilting left and right, they might get confused which way to tilt when he's upside down. Continuing to hold right isn't as obvious as you'd think to some.

Saw the game today. No matter how much I hate what Sonic has become, it was so nostalgic watching the hedgehog running and *gasp* I think I have gotten used to the new look and I *gasp* like it... :/

EDIT: And I just remembered that it costs $15 no matter how nostalgic it is. AGAINST! I rather buy Sonic Collection for less than that...

Kulock said:

Yeah, I remember that useless graphical gimmick.

And holding the direction to keep running upside down is in all Sonic games. If someone somehow thinks he must spin the d-pad or something, just one loop will suffice for the test (I do believe I myself stopped in the middle of the first loop I tried). Come on, kids play Sonic games, and no one ever got stuck in any loop because of stupidity.

Also, if that was such a good idea, they would implement in the other versions (I do hope they don't). Next, they will make the screen spin every time Sonic is rolling.

Kulock said:

What would happen if you stopped moving? Would Sonic fall off the loop? Go backwards? Sonic CD is the Sonic I have the least experience with.

Kulock said:
Besides, this is being marketed to people who haven't either touched a Sonic game in years, or maybe never at all. It might actually be something that makes more sense to them, since their input is primarily limited to tilting left and right, they might get confused which way to tilt when he's upside down. Continuing to hold right isn't as obvious as you'd think to some.
Someone gets it!

SwiftSketcher said:
What would happen if you stopped moving? Would Sonic fall off the loop? Go backwards? Sonic CD is the Sonic I have the least experience with.

Once you get to a certain point up the ramp (pretty much when he runs past the giant D-Pad symbol telling you to keep pressing Right and it spins), Sonic charges up on auto-pilot the rest of the way up.

If instead of holding right, you hold left, you can land on top of the ramp, and either jump back down normally, or if you drop back down the "loop", he does a special animation you don't otherwise see in the game. It's a little like what he does here, but just the part before he spins.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm on a huge platforming kick recently (downloaded and playing Mario 1, 2, Lost Levels, Castlevania, and DKC3 all for the first time*), so more downloadable platformers are always welcome and I'll be checking this out. Still, somewhat disappointed at what could have been. Hopefully Episode 2 is more like a sequel than an expansion.

*I played Mario 1 and 2 before through All Stars, but I never beat them.

Mael

All I can say is.....awesome thread title!
I probably won't pick this game up though.
I mean I'm all for trying all the weird shit and all but seriously I lost my web connexion and that have priority....
That and Other M burned me on bad games last month and I don't know if I can stomach another one right now.

Also the pricing will be interesting to follow between the iOS version and the others :lol
can't help but feel this game will be very.....Sega.

Top Bottom