• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been keeping up with it a little ever since I saw Blaze mention it around here. Really impressive stuff.

Includes a clearer image of the poster in Speed Highway (double-sized here).

post06doublesize_zps1431c26b.png

I knew it was a girl, but yeah, definitely some scrap/throwaway design.

And then, more alarmingly, you realize that might not be a standard stomach you're seeing. Think Japanese idol posters.
She's wearing a bikini and has huge boobs.
Otherwise her right "arm" doesn't look right.

It did cross my mind though, what if this was an early, rough design for Rouge? Not saying I believe that for certain, but even the hair shares a small similarity with that swept curl, although more prominent here.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hm. I'll update the Pokecapn thread, and I'll post something on Link's Awakening, tomorrow. I'm... too tired to think, to be honest. Today's been more stressful for me than I wanted it to be. Barely got sleep at all.

I know you Americans get a holiday tomorrow, but we had ours last week. :p

Any of you played Metal Gear Ac!d?

I love card games and was think of picking this up.
Yeah, I played the first and second. Go for the second one if you have to choose between the two, though. It improves on many of the mechanics of the first. Ac!d 2 is its own narrative so you needn't have had to played the first one to enjoy the second. It is yet another "what if this happened?" scenario.

2 improves on some of the card mechanics by introducing various things. For example, you don't have to stop on an item to get it, turning around doesn't require another card for moving, hanging can be done without cards now, etc. You may also chain attacks via chain cards for when you want use an enhancement under certain conditions. There are also stuff like exploding barrels, fire extinguishers, oil slicks, etc. They can be used against you, and you can use them against bosses. And there are more difficulty settings unlocked when you beat the game.

Overall, I'd go with Ac!d 2 over the original. But the first one's fine, too.

But Schala would hog all the air time...=p
Actually, I'm relatively quiet when talking aloud unless I'm talking to friends or if I'm giving a presentation. I'm just shy when it comes to this stuff. Verbosity via writing is my strength.

Includes a clearer image of the poster in Speed Highway (double-sized here).

post06doublesize_zps1431c26b.png

I knew it was a girl, but yeah, definitely some scrap/throwaway design.

And then, more alarmingly, you realize that might not be a standard stomach you're seeing. Think Japanese idol posters.
She's wearing a bikini and has huge boobs.
Otherwise her right "arm" doesn't look right.

It did cross my mind though, what if this was an early, rough design for Rouge? Not saying I believe that for certain, but even the hair shares a small similarity with that swept curl, although more prominent here.
When you put it that way, that's pretty interesting. If they were going to bring a concept of Rouge early, I wonder if their angle of her would have been different (ie: a popstar vs a treasure hunter or whatever she is). I wonder how many things they scrapped from the first game and kept around for the second now.

Good job on people digging things up. I really like the more momentum-based stages we're seeing as opposed to the more automated stages that were in the final product.

Tizoc

Less than 3 weeks to E3, and 3 months til JoJo All-Stars is released~
How time flies, ya'all say what you like but you are hype for E3.
I am hype and ready for disappointment, the latter is covered/made up for by my PS3 backlog =V

This summer is gonna hit me hard tho: Need to spend $700+ for the car tires, then spend like $1000 on a new lappy come July lol.

NES
SMB 3
SNES
DKC 2
Genesis
Sonic 3 & Knuckles (honorable mention to Streets of Rage 3)
N64
Majora's Mask
PS1
Final Fantasy 9 (honorable mention to Crash Team Racing)
PS2
Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks/Persona 4 (honorable mention to Kingdom Hearts 2)
Gamecube
Def Jam: FFNY (honorable mentions to Melee and Wind Waker)
Dreamcast
Project Justice
Wii
OB49Cza.jpg

PS3
SSF4AE/Metal Gear Rising
Game Boy
Link's Awakening
PSP
Final Fantasy Dissidia 012
DS
Phoenix Wright 1/2/3
3DS
OB49Cza.jpg

BlackJace

I played a little bit of it. Its kind of weird to play but you'd might like it.

Yeah, I played the first and second. Go for the second one if you have to choose between the two, though. It improves on many of the mechanics of the first. Ac!d 2 is its own narrative so you needn't have had to played the first one to enjoy the second. It is yet another "what if this happened?" scenario.

2 improves on some of the card mechanics by introducing various things. For example, you don't have to stop on an item to get it, turning around doesn't require another card for moving, hanging can be done without cards now, etc. You may also chain attacks via chain cards for when you want use an enhancement under certain conditions. There are also stuff like exploding barrels, fire extinguishers, oil slicks, etc. They can be used against you, and you can use them against bosses. And there are more difficulty settings unlocked when you beat the game.

Overall, I'd go with Ac!d 2 over the original. But the first one's fine, too.
Thanks guys. Ac!d 1 is 21 bucks, so ill grab that. 2 on the other hand is $67...

I remember picking up Ac!d 2 for a friends birthday and it was like a fiver brand new, that was around 4 or 5 years ago, 67 dollaredos is quite a leap in asking price.

Carrying on with Tale of Graces F and what the shit at this Kurt fella, i've had easier times against optional post game bosses in other tales games, I need to get Schala or anyone else well versed in this game on the line and ask if this fight was supposed to be a huge difficulty spike or if I was just getting schooled and shamed, i'll admit the odds of that last one are quite high but even so, I think I stormed through 13 life bottles by the time it was all said and done, this should not be happening!

On the other hand it was my first sighting of the greatest of additions, a retry option after getting ones backside kicked instead of going back to the save point, simply wonderful.

Carrying on with Tale of Graces F and what the shit at this Kurt fella, i've had easier times against optional post game bosses in other tales games, I need to get Schala or anyone else well versed in this game on the line and ask if this fight was supposed to be a huge difficulty spike or if I was just getting schooled and shamed, i'll admit the odds of that last one are quite high but even so, I think I stormed through 13 life bottles by the time it was all said and done, this should not be happening!

Nocturnowl, I assure you, you are not a scrub.

Kurt is complete and utter bullshit.

Nocturnowl, I assure you, you are not a scrub.

Kurt is complete and utter bullshit.

You have filled me with much relief.
The game then has the audacity post fight to try and make me feel sympathy for the guy who just kept kicking the everloving crap out of me with his sudden sacrifice, IT DIDN'T WORK!

Kokonoe

Banned
Hot Coldman you have a great sense of humor, I haven't commented on a lot of your joke posts but over the past few months a lot of em make me laugh. Thanks.

It's from the Call of Duty segment of the Xbone reveal last week.

Oh, then it's okay to be cynical.

I'm biased.

Hot Coldman you have a great sense of humor, I haven't commented on a lot of your joke posts but over the past few months a lot of em make me laugh. Thanks.

No, thank you! It doesn't necessarily translate into real life so well, so I'm glad I'm a lot better at crackin' wise online.

Noi

You have filled me with much relief.
The game then has the audacity post fight to try and make me feel sympathy for the guy who just kept kicking the everloving crap out of me with his sudden sacrifice, IT DIDN'T WORK!

Kurt is, unfortunately, the beginning of the end when it comes to Graces' good boss fights. One thing you'll be quick to notice (starting with the Parasite Queen at the beginning) is that every boss that can summon an infinite number of minions as reinforcements becomes total bullshit of the highest magnitude, and some of the later bosses dial that shit up to 11.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
NES
SMB 3
Genesis
Sonic 3 & Knuckles (honorable mention to Streets of Rage 3)
N64
Majora's Mask
PS1
Final Fantasy 9 (honorable mention to Crash Team Racing)
PS3
SSF4AE/Metal Gear Rising
Game Boy
Link's Awakening
You are a good man, Beefy.

The best. <3

I'm tempted to start a Tumblr filled with the dumb shit you do, man
Dumb Shit Agumon Does

On the other hand it was my first sighting of the greatest of additions, a retry option after getting ones backside kicked instead of going back to the save point, simply wonderful.
If it makes you feel better, the Wii version of Kurt and quite a few other bosses (from here on) were much easier than the PS3 version. Once you kill his guards in the Wii version, they never come back. In the PS3 version they do, and I believe Kurt is granted the ability to attack more frequently and as such, he's harder than the original incarnation of the boss. So, yes, you should be feeling a difficulty spike now. Imagine me when I was facing him on Chaos difficulty. It was a nightmare the first time, really. (Edit: shit, why do I keep calling things by their Japanese names... Kurt! Not Kurtz, Schala.) But with that said, I had more trouble with Champion Boar than I did with Kurt for some reason.

However, this follows Tales boss design philosophy as of Tales of Hearts, where every single boss was designed incredibly poorly to take advantage of Free Run or they're extremely unbalanced. It's something I've come to dislike about the series' enemy design in general, and I wish I could see a change. Remember: using your allies as bait can make a difference + Around-Step, Around-Step, Around-Step. When he's in overlimit and will use a hi-ougi, stay the hell away from him and around-step to the other side of the arena. Though that's been par for the course for Tales games since Hearts.

Like Sciz, my eyes were completely rolling during that just because you could see some of that stuff in older games, too... and I'm glad someone did something like this. Better to keep a larger repertoire of games on-hand as a result of this.

Tizoc

Yo Schala, help a brutha out with Tales of Graces:
I've infiltrated Wallbridge and need to flip a switch, I find a switch but the game doesn't let me turn it. What do I gotta do first?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've infiltrated Wallbridge and need to flip a switch, I find a switch but the game doesn't let me turn it. What do I gotta do first?
I posted in the ToGf thread for ya!

I tried writing that out step-by-step from memory, and if you find parts of it confusing as you're going through it, just let me know and we'll see if we can go through it together since I can just load the game up any time.

Kurt is, unfortunately, the beginning of the end when it comes to Graces' good boss fights. One thing you'll be quick to notice (starting with the Parasite Queen at the beginning) is that every boss that can summon an infinite number of minions as reinforcements becomes total bullshit of the highest magnitude, and some of the later bosses dial that shit up to 11.
I figured that with the boar and chimera thing beforehand that reinforcements might be becoming a boss battle staple, i'm not sure how I feel about this.
Actually if this prophecy of shit turned up to 11 comes to pass then I know exactly how i'll feel about it.

If it makes you feel better, the Wii version of Kurt and quite a few other bosses (from here on) were much easier than the PS3 version. Once you kill his guards in the Wii version, they never come back. In the PS3 version they do, and I believe Kurt is granted the ability to attack more frequently and as such, he's harder than the original incarnation of the boss. So, yes, you should be feeling a difficulty spike now. Imagine me when I was facing him on Chaos difficulty. It was a nightmare the first time, really. (Edit: shit, why do I keep calling things by their Japanese names... Kurt! Not Kurtz, Schala.) But with that said, I had more trouble with Champion Boar than I did with Kurt for some reason.

However, this follows Tales boss design philosophy as of Tales of Hearts, where every single boss was designed incredibly poorly to take advantage of Free Run or they're extremely unbalanced. It's something I've come to dislike about the series' enemy design in general, and I wish I could see a change. Remember: using your allies as bait can make a difference + Around-Step, Around-Step, Around-Step. When he's in overlimit and will use a hi-ougi, stay the hell away from him and around-step to the other side of the arena. Though that's been par for the course for Tales games since Hearts.
You know I actually always forget that free run is a thing, I never really used it in Abyss, Vesperia or this one.
I never really got the how and why of the boss getting stun locked and actually allowing me to deal damage alongside him seemingly being in like super armour the vast majority of the time where attacking was punishable by a health devouring combo, granted i've been away from the game for around 6 or 7 months so maybe i've forgotten some of the basics but it felt like a roll of the dice whenever I decided to actually attack.

That place has one of the worst and most unclear progressions of any dungeon like area i've played in an RPG, unfortunately areas that all look the same seems to be a bit of a thing in Graces so far.

Spent most of my day barbeque hopping 'til I ran into a bunch of old friends at one in particular and ended up sticking around. Cracked a big smile when whoever 's iPod was hooked up the speakers started playing this.

How's your Memorial Day going, SonicGAF?

I'm pretty sure Parasite Queen was the boss that permanently stalled my Chaos difficulty run. What a nightmare.

Rikkun

Guys my gf just discovered Sonic's girlfriend is named Amy, and that's how people call her.
She just sent me like 20 images of Sonic X. Help.

Also, Sonic Advance 3 is so bad even if I liked the Toy world

Guys my gf just discovered Sonic's girlfriend is named Amy, and that's how people call her.
She just sent me like 20 images of Sonic X. Help.

Also, Sonic Advance 3 is so bad even if I liked the Toy world

Advance 3 is pretty fun and Toy Kingdom is the absolute best zone in that entire game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom