• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides modern Sonic, and arguably the villains (although I wanna see someone do 16-bit sprites for the villains), the game's style looks ripped out of the Mega Drive/Saturn era, just with the bells and whistles of HD consoles. It's like Sonic Adventure never happened.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sleep? What's that?

What the hell is this thing you call "sleep"?

Also, that trailer's pretty dang good. I'm pretty excited for the game, and I told you guys those were villains. Sheesh.

more liek Sonic Galaxy
And that's another thing. I'm afraid I'll have to stock up on Gravol to force myself through the game. I hope that isn't the case.

Seriously one of the finest OSTs for any game ever.
My man!

Spent most of my day barbeque hopping 'til I ran into a bunch of old friends at one in particular and ended up sticking around. Cracked a big smile when whoever 's iPod was hooked up the speakers started playing this.

How's your Memorial Day going, SonicGAF?
Well, our holiday was last week. That was when I had my vacation, and I felt good about that. And yessssssss, Seven Force. Your family's the bomb. :D

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, I think I'm going to agree with Blaze a little bit here. I like how it looks. I... I kinda feel weird about it because I feel like I'm going to have to play it like I did Mario Galaxy and pop a Gravol every time I go through it. Blaze was mentioning that he thought it was a little slow, and I kind of agree. It seems like it's a side-game a la the Storybook games with experimental trappings from the likes of Sonic Xtreme.

I don't dislike it, but it seems like an interesting experiment? It's not what I was looking for, but I'm interested in trying it out nonetheless. But you'll have to understand my hesitance here.

Village

And what were you expecting?

Colors kinda thing with a mario galaxy feel.

I liked the unleashed/generation boost stuff

If sega just gave me the day time stuff from unleashed , with more levels character specific levels.

All my money.

I would pay money to finally see amy rose finally contribute good to something.

Well, I think I'm going to agree with Blaze a little bit here. I like how it looks. I... I kinda feel weird about it because I feel like I'm going to have to play it like I did Mario Galaxy and pop a Gravol every time I go through it. Blaze was mentioning that he thought it was a little slow, and I kind of agree. It seems like it's a side-game a la the Storybook games with experimental trappings from the likes of Sonic Xtreme.

I don't dislike it, but it seems like an interesting experiment? It's not what I was looking for, but I'm interested in trying it out nonetheless. But you'll have to understand my hesitance here.

Please be excited.

Kokonoe

Banned
Well, I'm not selling the Wii U now, it's honestly worth owning with this coming out. It's officially my most anticipated title of 2013.

Ah yeah, the motion sickness thing.

I don't know, seems like the return of classic genesis era gameplay in a new wrapper.

Yea, I can voice some wariness as well, though it kinda has to do with the reason Village posted.

The reason why I don't really like Colours (outside of the wisps being boring, heavy use of 2D, unnecessary double jump and the horrendous script) is that it's not really a Sonic game more so a rather lackluster Mario game with a Sonic skin on it, but at least the levels looked creative. With what we see of Lost World, it's even more of a Mario game (what we saw from the gameplay definitely echoes the Galaxy games) with even more of a Sonic skin on it (i.e. flickies returning, Not-Green Hill Zone being the first level we see, figure-8 running animation). I kinda got warning signs as soon as I saw the image of the Lost World.

Got alerted to the existence of a trailer through a friend texting me something to the effect of "MY EYES!", fortunately he meant it in a good this is colourful and crazy kind of way and not the avert your eyes this is horrible alternative.
Coming 2013, simply delicious, the platformers just keep coming this year, tears to my eyes.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I still want to play this, sheesh. I know the running joke is that I hate everything, but give me some credit.

I liked the unleashed/generation boost stuff

If sega just gave me the day time stuff from unleashed
Well, there are a few people in this thread, like me and Blaze (and I assume Arc Christelle) who genuinely seem to like that sort of thing as well (ie: the speedy time-attack sort of thing). It's a genuine rush, and you're using your mechanics and general style and flow quickly enough to create an excellent run in order to get a higher score. That's why I like the Unleashed scoring system so much. It has so many factors that go into your final score and rank, and you have to not just work with the time and ring count, but also the style in which you get through the level, and the skills that you can use to facilitate a faster run-time.

With that said, I love the look of Lost Worlds, because it's the opposite of the Sonic 2006 style.

Ah yeah, the motion sickness thing.

I don't know, seems like the return of classic genesis era gameplay in a new wrapper.
Well, again, that's why it reminds me of Sonic Xtreme so much. That's what Xtreme was kind of like. Here, they're adding some additional moves which seem kind of neat, but overall, it seems like an experiment with the right external trappings.

And yup. Motion sickness is an absolute curse. Heck, it took me a day or so to adjust to both Unleashed and Generations.

I chortle at any who doubted this, I CHORTLE AT THEM!
Buncha people in the announcement thread, lol.

The reason why I don't really like Colours (outside of the wisps being boring, heavy use of 2D, unnecessary double jump and the horrendous script) is that it's not really a Sonic game more so a rather lackluster Mario game with a Sonic skin on it, but at least the levels looked creative. With what we see of Lost World, it's even more of a Mario game (what we saw from the gameplay definitely echoes the Galaxy games) with even more of a Sonic skin on it (i.e. flickies returning, Not-Green Hill Zone being the first level we see, figure-8 running animation). I kinda got warning signs as soon as I saw the image of the Lost World.
This is... actually an interesting criticism, and it's something that was lying at the back of my mind. It's particularly because of that time way two years ago or so when my bf, who was a huge Mario/Nintendo fan, played Sonic Colours and Generations. Ended up liking Colours more because it played more like a Mario game with the powerups, focus on collectibles, and focus on platforming as opposed to speeding through the level. Granted, I love Colours. It's the game that made me take another quick look at Sonic games again and said, "Schala, after the disaster that was Heroes and 2006, maybe they're turning 'em around, after all!" But after a few games like Unleashed and Generations, I've gotten accustomed to a faster platforming experience. I still like both types of games, myself, and both genuinely have their own merits.

To be honest, this is what I expected from Lost World initially. I have to wonder if there's another game in the works for the other consoles that focus more on the speedier aspects of the series.

Village

I still want to play this, sheesh. I know the running joke is that I hate everything, but give me some credit.

Well, there are a few people in this thread, like me and Blaze (and I assume Arc Christelle) who genuinely seem to like that sort of thing as well (ie: the speedy time-attack sort of thing). It's a genuine rush, and you're using your mechanics and general style and flow quickly enough to create an excellent run in order to get a higher score. That's why I like the Unleashed scoring system so much. It has so many factors that go into your final score and rank, and you have to not just work with the time and ring count, but also the style in which you get through the level, and the skills that you can use to facilitate a faster run-time.

With that said, I love the look of Lost Worlds, because it's the opposite of the Sonic 2006 style.

I dislike the look.

I know this is blasphemous, But I never actually hated how some of the levels looked in 06.

It was just horrid to play, I know its supposed to be a like the old games but it isn't doing it for me.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I dislike the look.

I know this is blasphemous, But I never actually hated how some of the levels looked in 06.
I meant the character design, lol.

But with that said, I like the colour palette of Lost World more. I love bright, vibrant colours like that.

Village

I meant the character design, lol.

But with that said, I like the colour palette of Lost World more. I love bright, vibrant colours like that.

Hmm interesting, I didnt have a problem with cg 06 sonic, he had middle mouth. Now he has side mouth, side mouth works in cartoons not in 3d shit looks weird.

also didn't really mind the long spines either.

That's not blasphemous. lol
In the church of sonic, you arent supposed to admit that during sonic teams periods of not good, they still had some good ideas.

Call me weird my favorite level 06 is the grayest one kingdom valley. Thought it was nice, they could have done way way better.

But I liked it

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
good god almighty I need a Wii U
spiiiiiiiiiiiiin <3

Yeah, I'll get one by the end of the year, I think. I can't say no to Sonic or Zelda. :/

Hmm interesting, I didnt have a problem with cg 06 sonic, he had middle mouth. Now he has side mouth, side mouth works in cartoons not in 3d shit looks weird.

also didn't really mind the long spines either.

Call me weird my favorite level 06 is the grayest one kingdom valley. Thought it was nice, they could have done way way better.
I meant the enemy design.
KuGsj.gif

But with that said, I like Sonic's models from Unleashed-onwards more. But again, the vibrancy of the environments from Unleashed-onwards + the scene direction helped out with that a lot.

And if I had to choose a level from 06... I'd go with Kingdom Valley, myself. But White Acropolis's music is dope, yo. Even if the level itself is bullshit and Sonic sometimes doesn't respond to controls and if you get hit, Sonic keeps going for a while and then he dies as soon as you hit the checkpoint.

I really didn't expect a Sonic game to be thing that pushes me into buying a Wii U this year, and yet, here we are.

Man, I can't even begin to imagine how crazy the art design will be this time around. It feels nice to be genuinely excited for a new entry in the series again.

Village

spiiiiiiiiiiiiin <3

Yeah, I'll get one by the end of the year, I think. I can't say no to Sonic or Zelda. :/

I meant the enemy design.
KuGsj.gif

But with that said, I like Sonic's models from Unleashed-onwards more. But again, the vibrancy of the environments from Unleashed-onwards + the scene direction helped out with that a lot.

And if I had to choose a level from 06... I'd go with Kingdom Valley, myself. But White Acropolis's music is dope, yo. Even if the level itself is bullshit and Sonic sometimes doesn't respond to controls and if you get hit, Sonic keeps going for a while and then he dies as soon as you hit the checkpoint.

I would like more levels like that in a sonic game, just a bit more well designed and in a set. But those levels wouldn't be sonics levels, sonic seems a bit to bright and bouncy for those levels.

Those would be interesting knuckles run through levels. Ancient temple kinda thing. Never really was too fond of sonic running though those types of levels in adventure 1. I was always keen on the idea to have levels that fit a characters personality, backstory ect, it makes that characters experiences a bit more memorable. Not saying that characters shouldn't be thrown out of their element every once in a while.

Also I just cannot get with side mouth. I am fine with shorter spines and being a bit more bright blue, but dat side mouth. ECH

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, you know, if someone was posting that gif to say, "Sonic came back, man!" then it'd make sense to me! Okay, if your team went into the second half against another team and they were down 0-1, had a man sent off early on, went down another goal, and came back and their gk tied it off a corner and you guys won on PKs, shit, I'd be happy too.

I didn't think people watched the Mexican league football, lol.

I mean, holy shit, talk about a triumph! lol, Piojo Herrera. Hahahahaha.

...I know... don't talk about sports in here. v_v

No one cares about the Confederations Cup this year in this thread anyway so I'm gonna watch it alone. SPORTS.

Tizoc

Ya know what that image would be the best reaction to SEGA announcing something I'd drop money on day 1 during E3~

I'm surprised that there was quite a bit of gameplay. I can't recall a single debut trailer for a big budget console Sonic title this past gen ever being more than just a CG teaser.

qq more

all that wisp hate...

What did you guys think of the Wisps in Colors? Personally I thought they were a fun addition and some of the powerups were fun to mess around with (such as Drill).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom