• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noi

It's still not a great game by any means, but at least Black Knight starts you off with an actually controllable Sonic, which was the worst part of Secret Rings to me.

Plus the game's structure is a lot more straightforward than Ring's "have to do 3142321 missions before you can unlock the next world".

The trick to Black Knight: just do the jumpy, homing spin-y buzzsaw thing that just mows through the lines of enemies. Don't actually try to sword fight, just treat it like an extension of his usual spin jumps.

I didn't mind Black Knight. It wasn't especially good or anything, but I got it pretty cheap and didn't hate my time with it.

Village

I really don't know, I haven't been "into" Sonic since the early 2000s. It's a good soundtrack though, lots of good stage themes like Metal Harbor, Prison Lane, etc.

I found one

Remix of Dive into the mellow

Like Water

I found another one, but Its like a bunch of sonic songs remixed together old an new, so it may not count. And its kind of hype for early in the morning.

qq more

well congrats qq more, you got the AC thread shut

ARE YOU HAPPY NOW
Wait what?! Did they posted perverted stuff again?

EDIT: Sats!!!!!!! *shakes fist*

It's still not a great game by any means, but at least Black Knight starts you off with an actually controllable Sonic, which was the worst part of Secret Rings to me.

Plus the game's structure is a lot more straightforward than Ring's "have to do 3142321 missions before you can unlock the next world".
This already sounds like a much better game than Shitret Rings. I recall people saying it's worse but now I don't honestly see how.

Isn't Black Knight really short? Can't be that bad. I will say the cover looks kinda cool for some reason, although I don't know how in the hell using a sword could possibly work in a Sonic game.

Black Knight takes about two hours to get to the fake "ending" and another hour and a half or so to get to the real ending.

Honestly, a couple days ago somebody asked me what I thought about Black Knight on my Tumblr, so I'll just paste that here:

"Visually impressive but not much else about it is notable. It feels like one of those games that didn’t need Sonic the Hedgehog to be in it. The music, the setting, and the mechanics are all nothing like a Sonic game at all.

It’s some kind of weird waggle-focused melee combat game where the melee combat really, really sucks. But you can also run fast? But running fast never feels “right”. You’re rarely allowed to just cut loose and run fast because there’s always a wave of enemies that spawns directly in front of you. And there’s no elegant way to deal with them - if you fight them, it takes entirely too long. If you jump over them, you have this weird super floaty jump that slows you way down and breaks your flow… it’s bad.

And, like, what’s the deal with the villager item exchange system? Why do I get loot at the end of a stage? Why does any of this exist? From a game design standpoint it feels so tacked on and weird. Like there’s definitely a functional purpose it serves but it does not contribute to anything cohesive. It’s just kind of there as these weird systems that get brought up in a couple of missions but can be completely ignored 98% of the time.

And then there’s the completely awful dragon battles, the confusing equip system, the abysmal fight with King Arthur… ugh. It’s a technically impressive game, I guess, and not especially buggy or anything, but in terms of its actual design it is nothing but a trainwreck of ideas I don’t ever want to see again."

qq more

I built mine last year and also upgraded my graphics card earlier this year. So I don't think I have any need to upgrade my comp anytime soon. For GPUs, GTX 550 Ti is pretty neat, I really recommend it for its price (120-140ish range the last time I saw it) and it can run Sonic Gen at 60FPS.

EDIT: Looking at it now. It's cheaper now. Around 100-120ish dollars.

Bleh, maybe I need to revisit Black Knight. I remember having a better time playing Secret Rings but it seems everyone else had the opposite opinion.

Despite its problems starting up, I still think Secret Rings is the better game. I just don't think Black Knight is as bad as its reputation might have people believe.

Third game is going to be Sonic 4 Episode 3 as a download title.

Calling it.

If it was going to be Sonic 4, I'd expect it to be a retail release combining episodes 1 and 2 with a new third part into a single game.

I hope it's not that, though.

qq more

Like I said in the other thread, considering all 3 games are exclusive to Nintendo, I doubt the 3rd one would be an episode of a multiplat game.

Uv6N85C.jpg

PKrockin

Well, since I'm working miles away from my consoles again I might as well go ahead and play all the Genesis games I have on Steam.

There's a hell of a lot of precise jumping in Sonic 1. Funny, for a game marketed around speed. You really have to be careful, watch your timing, and know how Sonic controls at slower speeds. Pretty much the opposite of Sonic 4. Good game, but not my favorite, partially because I hate Marble and Labyrinth Zone. They slow the game down quite a bit and just aren't very fun, Marble in particular.

Also Scrap Brain is a bitch. I barely scraped by on my last continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom