• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Something that I haven't really wanted to admit around here is that Lost World looks decent so far but not much more than that. I can't really put my finger on it, while I think the parkour system looks damn cool everything else is very...basic? of course we've barely seen anything yet but as opposed to refining and building up off Generations it looks like a slower colours that doesn't take much advantage of what Sonic as a series presents if that makes any sense (that one 2D pyramid interior stage in the 3DS game being a pretty big example of what i'm driving at).
Well, that's kinda it, eh? It looks like a Sonic game, but it sounds and seems to play a little strangely of how slower-paced it is, and because of the enemy placement and spring/booster alignment. And I guess most of us aren't super-fond of boosters and too many springs since they slow momentum. I've said my piece on the music already; I'm not too sure about the direction here.

Everything indeed looks kind of basic, but maybe those levels don't take proper advantage of what Sonic can do? Who knows. I just really don't like what I see in some of those linear levels in terms of control at all. It doesn't look tight. Again, I need to try it for myself to say anything more confidently. Right now I'm going on what I see, which is inadequate in terms of impressions.

Release a dang demo, Sega.

Funny how this conversation comes up, as I'm literally playing my SNES at this moment.

toG6nQn.jpg

That's not the arcade version at all

enjoy your mode 7 tech demo Neon Night Riders level and worse sprite animations

(and the Technodrone and Bebop/Rocksteady, so it kinda evens out)

Well it's nice to see some of you appreciate the skittle buttons, however I would not suggest trying to taste the rainbow in this case.

That only makes me hate that zone more

Now you know where my burning hatred of the zone stems from, I come from a strange world where Marble Zone was even slower.

Well, that's kinda it, eh? It looks like a Sonic game, but it sounds and seems to play a little strangely of how slower-paced it is, and because of the enemy placement and spring/booster alignment. And I guess most of us aren't super-fond of boosters and too many springs since they slow momentum. I've said my piece on the music already; I'm not too sure about the direction here.

Everything indeed looks kind of basic, but maybe those levels don't take proper advantage of what Sonic can do? Who knows. I just really don't like what I see in some of those linear levels in terms of control at all. It doesn't look tight. Again, I need to try it for myself to say anything more confidently. Right now I'm going on what I see, which is inadequate in terms of impressions.

I think they need to really push that parkour stuff in the later stages, it has the potential for some fast paced stop and you'll die style platforming. But yes it's still world 1 and 2 stuff right now and there's nothing that looks bad so far either which is nice. A demo would be beneficial and now Nintendo finally have a system that can pull off such a gargantuan feat, it's a brave new era, the same sort of new as new super mario bros.

TheOGB

Banned
I was going to start playing Super Mario RPG again but now I wanna make muffins >.>

The thing is, we'd probably play the same zones being shown off. I bet somewhere in this game there are a good chunk of levels that totally make the gameplay shine, and we'll be all "Hell yeah!", but we won't ever see them before release. :[

My problem with Lost World is that it looks like it controls really awkwardly. Slow movement is too slow, fast movement is 2K6-twitchy for no explained reason, and there's not really any medium inbetween. Adding a run button wasn't a bad idea but I'm concerned they're going about it the wrong way.

Which is a shame, because practically everything else I've seen about the game looks ace (aside from having jungles and candy in what's ostensibly a desert - kind of indecisive about what you're going for there, aren't you, Sonic Team?).

qq more

Weren't the impressions of the game have been rather favorable? It looks like the run button just makes the movement look weird to us because it's something we haven't experienced ourselves with yet, it probably plays a lot better than it really seems to. I'm not really worried.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
At least Seven Force is playing a good game without any huge attachments to it. I have to keep the silly Game Genie attached when I'm playing SFC/PAL games like so:

dsc00806v6sse.jpg

The thing is, we'd probably play the same zones being shown off. I bet somewhere in this game there are a good chunk of levels that totally make the gameplay shine, and we'll be all "Hell yeah!", but we won't ever see them before release. :[
Well, I was moreso saying that from the footage it looks slow and looks like it controls awkwardly in general, but if we got the chance to play it ourselves, maybe then what we're saying right now might be proven wrong since we'd get a chance to perfect the stages or explore more to see what else they've thrown in there (ie: learn the map).

But yeah, on the other hand, this might be the case like in Generations where the demo levels are certainly not representative of the overall game.

Now you know where my burning hatred of the zone stems from, I come from a strange world where Marble Zone was even slower.

I think they need to really push that parkour stuff in the later stages, it has the potential for some fast paced stop and you'll die style platforming. But yes it's still world 1 and 2 stuff right now and there's nothing that looks bad so far either which is nice. A demo would be beneficial and now Nintendo finally have a system that can pull off such a gargantuan feat, it's a brave new era, the same sort of new as new super mario bros.
Perhaps they should have ported the PAL version of Marble Zone to the android/iOS version so that qq more could complain even more about it.

It's too bad that E3 demos would probably never be released on eShop or PSN or XBL just because they want to have the opportunity to answer player questions and issues readily for instant feedback. Regardless, a demo for a build leading up to release would probably alleviate my hesitation a bit. I think there will be a Zone or two later on that will emphasize the parkour stuff, but I'm honestly hoping for an Action Master-esque sort of stage. That was the best.

My problem with Lost World is that it looks like it controls really awkwardly. Slow movement is too slow, fast movement is 2K6-twitchy for no explained reason, and there's not really any medium inbetween. Adding a run button wasn't a bad idea but I'm concerned they're going about it the wrong way.

Which is a shame, because practically everything else I've seen about the game looks ace (aside from having jungles and candy in what's ostensibly a desert - kind of indecisive about what you're going for there, aren't you, Sonic Team?).
A dessert desert. :p

The bolded's something I've started noticing too. I think Blaze touched on it a few times in his tumblr writeups, but it just looks incredibly imprecise and there simply seems to be a lack of control there. Compared to Unleashed, Colours, and Generations, the control in some of these sections don't look as tight or as stable as Dragon Road Day, Terminal Velocity, or Sky Sanctuary. I dunno. Like you said, there just doesn't seem to be a middle ground here.

Oh good, we stop pretending Sonic Lost World looked very good, that was getting a little out of control around here.

In other news, just got the Jak and Daxter HD collection. It's time to collect shit and rage at bad checkpoints. I blame.....Noi

At least Seven Force is playing a good game without any huge attachments to it. I have to keep the silly Game Genie attached when I'm playing SFC/PAL games like so
Experiencing some of that intense 50hz action I see.

I think there will be a Zone or two later on that will emphasize the parkour stuff, but I'm honestly hoping for an Action Master-esque sort of stage. That was the best.
We will keep this dream alive so that it may be dashed.

Oh good, we stop pretending Sonic Lost World looked very good, that was getting a little out of control around here.

In other news, just got the Jak and Daxter HD collection. It's time to collect shit and rage at bad checkpoints. I blame.....Noi
okay two things...

1. report back on if Jak 1 holds up, i've been thinking of replaying it at some point
2. if you touch Jak 2, well you only have yourself to blame.

I just yanked the tabs in the SNES off with some pliers, heh. They're not completely removed, but there's enough space now so that SFC carts work. No more passthrough cartridges for me!

Good thing the RetroN 5 is going to be region free!

FUCK

I WANT MORE INFO ON THAT SYSTEM

The SNES emulation is my main concern. If it's about the same as the Retron 3, then I'll probably pass, even with all of the perks.

qq more

Nope. Still looks good.

The SNES emulation is my main concern. If it's about the same as the Retron 3, then I'll probably pass, even with all of the perks.

They've stated they're going to fix the audio issue, which was like the only major issue with the SNES on the RetroN 3.

They've stated they're going to fix the audio issue, which was like the only major issue with the SNES on the RetroN 3.

Yeah, but it was a bad enough issue (seriously, the fuck was that sound emulation) that I held off from buying one.

That, and CVIII didn't work on the NES side of things.

qq more

Yeah, but it was a bad enough issue (seriously, the fuck was that sound emulation) that I held off from buying one.

That and, CVIII didn't work on the NES side of things.
Yeah, the sound issue was REALLY bad with certain games on the RetroN 3. Good god, DKC and Yoshi's Island...

Actually, CVIII works. RetroN 3's NES compatibility was noted for making CVIII work.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Will you people stop playing Jak 2?

It's almost like you want AniHawk to come in here and knock some sense into you all with a review or something.

It's hilarious because I knew someone was gonna start playing it soon. I just had a feeling.

I just yanked the tabs in the SNES off with some pliers, heh. They're not completely removed, but there's enough space now so that SFC carts work. No more passthrough cartridges for me!
See, I've taken apart almost every console I've owned and replaced parts/recalibrated bits, but I just don't trust myself with the SNES. If it's as barebones as the NES and I can easily take it apart and put it back together, then no prob. I'll take it apart, yank the stupid tabs off with pliers/a dremel tool just so I can quit using the Game Genie. It's kinda time consuming having to blow into two carts & clean them with alcohol/windex if one of them doesn't work.

Like, taking a NES apart and putting it back together isn't an issue because there's barely anything in there. Just take it apart, replace the 72-pin connector, clean, put it back together, it works fine. This is the only SNES I've got. It's my favourite system. ;-;

It wasn't that hard to take apart, right? If not, I'll grab a pair of pliers right now and do it myself. Edit: Did you open it up, or did you hold the shutter down and chip away at the tabs? Because I don't have the tool to open it up from the bottom. I'll have to buy one if that's the case.

This is why you're my guinea pig for that stuff. If the sound doesn't work well, then I'll pass. Shame because it supports HDMI.

Noi

Started on Project x wedidn'thaveenoughmoneyforthevocalOP Zone, does this game really need FIVE prologue stages to teach you how to play the game

I accept the blame.

Man, you know a series went to shit when even I don't want to get three full trophy sets worth for the handheld version.

See, I've taken apart almost every console I've owned and replaced parts/recalibrated bits, but I just don't trust myself with the SNES. If it's as barebones as the NES and I can easily take it apart and put it back together, then no prob. I'll take it apart, yank the stupid tabs off with pliers/a dremel tool just so I can quit using the Game Genie. It's kinda time consuming having to blow into two carts & clean them with alcohol/windex if one of them doesn't work.

Like, taking a NES apart and putting it back together isn't an issue because there's barely anything in there. Just take it apart, replace the 72-pin connector, clean, put it back together, it works fine. This is the only SNES I've got. It's my favourite system. ;-;

It wasn't that hard to take apart, right? If not, I'll grab a pair of pliers right now and do it myself. Edit: Did you open it up, or did you hold the shutter down and chip away at the tabs? Because I don't have the tool to open it up from the bottom. I'll have to buy one if that's the case.

I took the tabs off of two of the SNES's I own. The first time, I chipped away while holding the shutter open (Which is why there's still some of it remaining), and I ordered the security bit and properly took it apart the second time and opened it up with that. There's a lot less screwing/unscrewing involved with that than replacing the pin connector in an NES, so I'd say it's easier. You just remove the screws, lift the top cover of the SNES, and go to town on the tabs.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Man, it's pretty awful what the RetroN3 did to the Genesis's sound chip. Poor Thunder Force IV ;_;
That sounds like awful! God, what in the world. So muffly.

I took the tabs off of two of the SNES's I own. The first time, I chipped away while holding the shutter open (Which is why there's still some of it remaining), and I ordered the security bit and properly took it apart the second time and opened it up with that. There's a lot less screwing/unscrewing involved with that than replacing the pin connector in an NES, so I'd say it's easier. You just remove the screws, lift the top cover of the SNES, and go to town on the tabs.
I see. I was gonna hold the shutter open and take an exactoknife / pliers to it, but now that I remember, I think we do have some security bits around here (I remember those being my favourite tools when I was little because I played with them a lot), but man, I dunno where they are anymore. I might have to buy a set because we mightn't be able to find it.

But yeah, I think taking it apart and lifting the cover up for better access will be much better. Thanks a lot. I'll get that done when I get some tools.

Started on Project x wedidn'thaveenoughmoneyforthevocalOP Zone, does this game really need FIVE prologue stages to teach you how to play the game
You're starting to make me not want to play it, you know.

PS2 > SNES

It is law.
Beefy, now you're making me cry. I was looking at the PS2 game list earlier, and I just said to myself, "Wow, there's more schlock than good on this system sometimes." To be fair, though, the SNES suffered from the same thing.

Would be glad to share the impressions with everyone here! I'm hoping it'll be as great as it sounds. I'll make sure to test out every SNES/Genesis/NES game I own and see how it goes.
It's too bad you don't have a copy of Tales of Phantasia, Tengai Makyou Zero, Lion King SNES, or Star Ocean, because then we'd really know how the sound is on that system.

I guess I'd have to ask if you own a copy of Yoshi's Island or Secret of Mana because then we'd know. What you want to do is get a bunch of games that pushed the SNES hardware like Yoshi's Island, Rendering Ranger R2, Star Fox, Mega Man X2/X3, and Super Mario RPG.

qq more

It's too bad you don't have a copy of Tales of Phantasia, Tengai Makyou Zero, Lion King SNES, or Star Ocean, because then we'd really know how the sound is on that system.

I guess I'd have to ask if you own a copy of Yoshi's Island or Secret of Mana because then we'd know. What you want to do is get a bunch of games that pushed the SNES hardware like Yoshi's Island, Rendering Ranger R2, Star Fox, Mega Man X2/X3, and Super Mario RPG.

I have Yoshi's Island, Star Fox, and every Mega Man SNES game... including Soccer. (Don't have the MMBASS repro yet. Low priority)

Genesis > Mega Drive
USA SNES > dumb skittle buttons
PS2 > SNES

It is law.

I was totally with you until the PS2 bit.

Heropon

I've just beaten the first Sonic and for some reason I remembered less bottomless pits. I'm not very fond of them, and that's the reason I've come to appreciate Labyrinth Zone much more this time.

PS: Marble Zone is still the worst zone.

qq more

I've just beaten the first Sonic and for some reason I remembered less bottomless pits. I'm not very fond of them, and that's the reason I've come to appreciate Labyrinth Zone much more this time.

PS: Marble Zone is still the worst zone.

Outside of Sonic 1, the Genesis games rarely have death pits except for a select few levels (but that's due to their level trope). Kind of a shame the 2D series became very pit-happy when Dimps came into the scene lol.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm not putting down the SNES, but the PS2 was just superior.
Man, in terms of life cycles you're right. PS2's getting FIFA 14 this year (for credible reasons).

The last SNES game that I can remember is... Metal Slader Glory in 2000 or something? That system was released in 1990 in Japan. I think there was a re-release of Zoop in 2000 as well. Um. I think the last US game was Frogger in 1998. There's a new SNES game coming out this year, apparently.

I have Yoshi's Island, Star Fox, and every Mega Man SNES game... including Soccer. (Don't have the MMBASS repro yet. Low priority)
I'm surprised you don't have the MMnB repro yet when I do! :O

But yeah, those games would be a good start for testing. At least from a graphical side.

But thou must.

I only bought it now cause you were gonna play it!
This is true.

Heropon

Outside of Sonic 1, the Genesis games rarely have death pits except for a select few levels (but that's due to their level trope). Kind of a shame the 2D series became very pit-happy when Dimps came into the scene lol.

You're right. Maybe I mixed the three Genesis games when I thought about the amount of bottomless pits? I did remember about Flying Fortress having lots them and it's evident why, but I didn't expect so many in Scrap Brain. About that, Scrap Brain 3rd act is my favourite because it's the shortest.

qq more

You're right. Maybe I mixed the three Genesis games when I thought about the amount of bottomless pits? I did remember about Flying Fortress having lots them and it's evident why, but I didn't expect so many in Scrap Brain. About that, Scrap Brain 3rd act is my favourite because it's the shortest.

Flying Battery had some but it was rather reasonable. Come to think of it, it's usually the sky levels with bottomless pits in Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

I think Scrap Brain had pits just because it was the final level, it was meant to be a brutal death trap zone. At least that's what I'm assuming the thought process was there.

OMG Aero

So I just got round to finishing Xenoblade.
I don't think I can play video games any more, nothing will top how fucking nuts that game got at the end.

Wichu

Might as well cross-post this here from the SA2 thread. I've spent some time over the last couple of days figuring out how to get my Chao from the GC game over to the Steam port. It was totally worth it.

Oh, and while I'm here:
I don't think I can play video games any more, nothing will top how fucking nuts that game got at the end.
As awesome a game as Xenoblade is, you need to go play 999 and Virtue's Last Reward. My friend beat 999 a few days ago, and his mind was basically all over the floor.

Heropon

I think Scrap Brain had pits just because it was the final level, it was meant to be a brutal death trap zone. At least that's what I'm assuming the thought process was there.

All the urban levels had bottomless pits (it reminds me of the pits in London in Tomb Raider III), I suppose that falling from a skyscrapper is a bad thing even for a tough hedgehog like Sonic.

They nailed the "Everything trying to kill you" feeling in Scrap Brain thanks to the large number of blazes, killer machines and pits. I think Flying Fortress, Launch Zone and Death Egg don't come close in that aspect, but maybe my mind is playing tricks on me again, so I'll play those games again and see if those zones are truly "less dangerous".

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Haha, I remember when I beat Virtue's Last Reward and my first post in the Spoiler thread was, "What the hell, you guys? What the hell?!" Actually when I think about it, most of my reactions in the OT for that game were basically like that. I know Noi was laughing every time I updated when I got an ending because my mind was all over the floor half the time.

As for Xenoblade, it's the only Xeno-prefix game I like by Takahashi for various reasons. Moreso to do with the environments and immersion + gem system + some of the characters. I don't think it's as good great awesome amazing outstanding as everyone else does, but it's a good game. I'm glad everyone got to play it in the end. I'm even happy that I imported the European LE. :V

Might as well cross-post this here from the SA2 thread. I've spent some time over the last couple of days figuring out how to get my Chao from the GC game over to the Steam port. It was totally worth it.
Holy crap. That's smart! My hat's off to you because I think some people who aren't named Professor Beef would be really interested in this in this thread.

qq more

All the urban levels had bottomless pits (it reminds me of the pits in London in Tomb Raider III), I suppose that falling from a skyscrapper is a bad thing even for a tough hedgehog like Sonic.

They nailed the "Everything trying to kill you" feeling in Scrap Brain thanks to the large number of blazes, killer machines and pits. I think Flying Fortress, Launch Zone and Death Egg don't come close in that aspect, but maybe my mind is playing tricks on me again, so I'll play those games again and see if those zones are truly "less dangerous".
Oh yeah, forgot levels like Chemical Plant had some. They were sort of annoying in Act 2.

Launch Base might had some death pits, I don't remember it very well.

Flying Battery had a notable few, but I think the difficulty wasn't so bad.

Death Egg... uh... trying to remember the pits, I think a lot of it was focused on hazards but I may be wrong.

rhymetime.gif
"Yes, this post makes me very proud, Beef's law really stands out in a crowd!"

Brentilda_icon.png

"Beef freshens himself up with Sonic scented perfume!"
"He also spends his evenings dancing alone to Nocturne from Sonic Chronicles!"
"And he gets his clothes from the Cena section of a WWE merchandise stand!"

One of video games' greatest endings IMO. Seriously who would have thought that
Alvis was a computer program for a space station, and the entire game was nothing more than some kind of computer simulation. What made it really mind blowing was how subtle they showed it to you, and they let you draw your own conclusion from what they showed.

As much as I love Tales of Graces F, this game is my favourite in the story department.

Haha, I remember when I beat Virtue's Last Reward and my first post in the Spoiler thread was, "What the hell, you guys? What the hell?!" Actually when I think about it, most of my reactions in the OT for that game were basically like that. I know Noi was laughing every time I updated when I got an ending because my mind was all over the floor half the time.
I remember what 999 was like with every ending, so I'm expecting similar results here!

...though I sort of wish I could play the 3DS version, if only because trying to write on this screen sucks so much. And I don't like how imprecise it feels sometimes interacting with things. But I can't argue with free, after all.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I remember what 999 was like with every ending, so I'm expecting similar results here!

...though I sort of wish I could play the 3DS version, if only because trying to write on this screen sucks so much. And I don't like how imprecise it feels sometimes interacting with things. But I can't argue with free, after all.
What I did was I took screencaps of certain codes or whatever I had to remember in-game and just used the photo app while playing the game if I needed to. Better alternative to trying to write on the screen with my finger.

What I did was I took screencaps of certain codes or whatever I had to remember in-game and just used the photo app while playing the game if I needed to. Better alternative to trying to write on the screen with my finger.
Oh right, that's a thing on here...

I was just gonna use this notebook I have here though, that works for me :)

One of video games' greatest endings IMO. Seriously who would have thought that
Alvis a computer program for a space station, and the entire game was nothing more than some kind of computer simulation. What made it really mind blowing was how subtle they showed it to you, and they let you draw your own conclusion from what they showed.
Yeah, see I was of the opposite opinion. Really just couldn't stand the whole ending and felt the whole thing got real stupid. Then again, I really stopped liking the game in general after
the events in Sword Valley
, so my mood was already spoiled by that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom