• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
...I almost read that Xenoblade spoiler. Phew.

I still need to track down a copy of that at Gamestop. I don't want to go the eBay route; it's already exaggeratedly expensive there, while Gamestop just has a $10 markup.

qq more

I preordered it so I don't have to worry about buying it at a ridiculous price when it gets discontinued. Have yet to play it, but I've ripped it so it's ready to be played on Dolphin but ehhh not in the mood for RPGs...

Xenoblade would be so much better if it wrapped up like 15- 20 hours earlier than it did, it could've been my game of that year but it really limped to the finish line, that accursed grinding!

That accursed good with knows NOTHING about me, you hear!?
This information will all come in handy when our corrupt king of Sonic gaf makes us play his hellish board game, "Beefs Boiling Board"

"In Sonic gaf we have many a tome, for which user do they call home?"
- Light Magus
- Dark Schala
- Some stupid Owl

KazooieHeadHD.png
"With coupons, even! No wonder his MM stream had lower framerate than my first game."
Cheato.png
"code Beef must enter on treasure trove cove's sandcastle floor is framerate"

BHZ Mayor

Experiencing some of that intense 50hz action I see.

We will keep this dream alive so that it may be dashed.

okay two things...

1. report back on if Jak 1 holds up, i've been thinking of replaying it at some point
2. if you touch Jak 2, well you only have yourself to blame.

I can tell you right now that Jak 1 still holds up if you don't mind it being easy to breeze through. I got the platinum for it in about 7 or 8 hours.

TheOGB

Banned
I think this is the first time in several months I'll be playing Colors.

I don't remember if I had a problem with the Classic Controller scheme...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Truthfact: The GameCube controller is one of my favourite controllers of the forever. It felt way better than the CC / CCPro for Colours.

This information will all come in handy when our corrupt king of Sonic gaf makes us play his hellish board game, "Beefs Boiling Board"

- Light Magus
- Dark Schala
- Some stupid Owl
I would say that two of the answers would qualify but you're not some stupid owl. You're a Nocturne owl. :)

TheOGB

Banned
I am one of those poor unfortunate souls who never had a Gamecube of my own
PS2 fo lyfe, even though I mostly liked it for keeping up with Crash
, so I don't have a Gamecube controller.

I can't stand the Gamecube controller for anything but Smash. I use the CCPro for everything else, even if the buttons feel a little cheaper, it feels more comfortable to me,

rhymetime.gif
"Yes, this post makes me very proud, Beef's law really stands out in a crowd!"

Brentilda_icon.png

"Beef freshens himself up with Sonic scented perfume!"
"He also spends his evenings dancing alone to Nocturne from Sonic Chronicles!"
"And he gets his clothes from the Cena section of a WWE merchandise stand!"

KazooieHeadHD.png
"With coupons, even! No wonder his MM stream had lower framerate than my first game."

- Light Magus
- Dark Schala
- Some stupid Owl

Cheato.png
"code Beef must enter on treasure trove cove's sandcastle floor is framerate"

I can't state enough how much this series of posts made me laugh.

I don't know if my nostalgia for Banjo Kazooie/Tooie is misplaced, but I wear it proudly

I am one of those poor unfortunate souls who never had a Gamecube of my own
PS2 fo lyfe, even though I mostly liked it for keeping up with Crash
, so I don't have a Gamecube controller.

That means you got the joy of experiencing Wrath of Cortex and those PS2 load times

You may not even notice, but you're probably scarred for life.

No idea how the next-gen version of Crash somehow ended up with worse graphics, controls, and level design than the PS1 Crash 2/3, but here we are.

Classic Controller is fine for anything you might want to use it for.

Will never understand the Gamecube controller fetishism. It's comfortable sure, but it's not some supercontroller that renders all others unusable.

TheOGB

Banned
Buy one then!
Eh, it's not that high on the priority list, and it might as well just fall off the bottom if I can't even use it on the Wii U. :p

That means you got the joy of experiencing Wrath of Cortex and those PS2 load times

You may not even notice, but you're probably scarred for life.

No idea how the next-gen version of Crash somehow ended up with worse graphics, controls, and level design than the PS1 Crash 2/3, but here we are.
Oh, I've noticed.

I heard pinging similar to that noise that plays during the loading like a year and a half ago and had a flashback. I thought I was dying.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I like the GCN controller because it genuinely feels good in my little hands; with that said, I don't like the d-pad on it much at all. I guess the triggers would be a detractor, but out of all the controller that are compatible with the Wii, I like the Cube controller the most.

I never had a GameCube, but I know that one of the first game purchases I made when I bought my Wii on launch day was buy The Wind Waker, Four Swords Adventure, a GameCube controller, and a memory card. Just so I had something else to play besides Twilight Princess. >.>

...I've admitted this to Bean in private (who said he figured as much when I said I had never played Super Mario 64 prior to this year), but I have to admit it here. I have never played a Banjo game before.

I can tell you right now that Jak 1 still holds up if you don't mind it being easy to breeze through. I got the platinum for it in about 7 or 8 hours.
Yeah i'll probably go for it at some point soon, oh if only it ever went on sale by itself without the other games.

I think this is the first time in several months I'll be playing Colors.

I don't remember if I had a problem with the Classic Controller scheme...

The stick is twitchy compared to the GC controller which is the main issue.

I would say that two of the answers would qualify but you're not some stupid owl. You're a Nocturne owl. :)
This either explains why i'm still awake to read this heart warming message or that there's a rogue E in there indicating some mind mangling bioware music.
I'm going with the first one to finish this day on a high note.

I can't state enough how much this series of posts made me laugh.
I had far more fun thinking up the Brentilda stuff than I really should, i'm sure Beef knows its all in good fun.

I don't know if my nostalgia for Banjo Kazooie/Tooie is misplaced, but I wear it proudly
The original has taken a bit of a beating from father time in a few aspects but it still holds together from my most recent run about two years ago, not sure about Tooie, need to put it on my to redo list.

My day is no longer ending on a high note, nightmares of Crash falling through a void will haunt me.

I like the GCN controller because it genuinely feels good in my little hands; with that said, I don't like the d-pad on it much at all. I guess the triggers would be a detractor, but out of all the controller that are compatible with the Wii, I like the Cube controller the most.

I never had a GameCube, but I know that one of the first game purchases I made when I bought my Wii on launch day was buy The Wind Waker, Four Swords Adventure, a GameCube controller, and a memory card. Just so I had something else to play besides Twilight Princess. >.>

...I've admitted this to Bean in private (who said he figured as much when I said I had never played Super Mario 64 prior to this year), but I have to admit it here. I have never played a Banjo game before.

Banjo isn't exactly the greatest game around...it's in the same vein as DK64...just not as bad.

BHZ Mayor

The original has taken a bit of a beating from father time in a few aspects but it still holds together from my most recent run about two years ago, not sure about Tooie, need to put it on my to redo list.

Tooie's still okay, but there's a lot of pointless point A to point B gameplay due to the levels being so large and relying a lot on backtracking, but still only having 10 jiggies each. I much prefer Kazooie's pacing.

Banjo isn't exactly the greatest game around...it's in the same vein as DK64...just not as bad.

Eh, the first Banjo to me pretty much strikes to perfect balance of collection and scale. Only flaw being the notes resetting. Tooie, however, has the opposite problem of DK64, in that the levels are too big with little to collect comparatively. As stated above, I think it relies to much on backtracking.

Anyway, back to Going Commando, a sequel that did things right.

As somebody who mostly got to know the series through the XBLA ports, it really isn't misplaced at all.

Although Tooie can get a bit tedious, and isn't very good at signalling "hey, bozo, you really can't get anything more in here now; go do another world and come back here later". I kinda liked Kazooie's "yeah, you CAN get everything in here in one go" approach better.

Yeah, pretty much this. Played the first game this time last year, and while a few things haven't aged well as I remembered, it was still pretty solid. One thing that did impress me was how much variety was in the game. Even as the game winds down, there's still a few neat concepts in the later worlds. And I don't think I have to mention the quiz show.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The Banjo games are... "collect all this stuff" games, then? Oh dear.

if you play jak ii, don't panic. just lie down, and simply wait to die.
Do you see what you guys did?

He's been ranting and raving about Jak II for, what, 10 years now... and no one's heeded his warnings. -_-

Noi

I like Tooie more than Kazooie simply by virtue of being the game I played first. Going back to Kazooie and having everything be smaller in scale was a bit of a letdown, though I don't know if I'd enjoy Tooie today as much as I did back then. I haven't played it in years!

Edit: Jak II is poop, you may as well just get the standalone first game and pretend everyone dies at the end.

Ratchet and Clank is always goooood though. Need to pick up Deadlocked HD down the line.

GAMERG0D

I always thought FF X wasn't that great, but now it's in my Top 5 FF games with IV, V VI, and VII... in no order.

Oh Jak II, fuck that game.

The Banjo games are... "collect all this stuff" games, then? Oh dear.
Well, technically, yes. But I think it works in Kazooie. The levels are just small enough that it's not really a chore to do... although I was missing the last couple of notes in Mad Monster Mansion and Click Clock Wood for the longest time. (XBLA saves the notes you've collected so you don't have to collect them all in one go, unlike the N64 original.)

BHZ Mayor

Edit: Jak II is poop, you may as well just get the standalone first game and pretend everyone dies at the end.

When I started this last playthrough of Jak 2, I realized, that with the exception of the main four, everyone does die immediately after the end of the first game. The metal heads kill them all after coming through the rift, so technically, that happened anyway.

Anth0ny

I feel like Kazooie has aged better than Tooie. Perfect level design in that game, and one of the greatest soundtracks of all time.

Tooie's worlds are just too huge. Unbearable without that cheat code that lets you run 2x faster.

Also,
N64>
SNES>PS2

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That FF7 video... qq more, this is a good reminder that you should play FF7 one day.

And I... man, I don't know if I'd like the Banjo games given what you guys have been saying. I could give one of them a shot one day, I suppose, before I write them off.

You... you can play Colors with the GC controller?

*looks on the back of the box*

DAMMIT
Heeheeheeheeeeeeee!

I'm so sorry, this just made me giggle a lot. Like qq said, a lot of people overlooked that, and when they find out that they could've used the GC controller, their reactions are so cute.

I always thought FF X wasn't that great, but now it's in my Top 5 FF games with IV, V VI, and VII... in no order.
But you have a Final Fantasy VIII avatar!

I actually got around to watching that one anime that turned Sonic into a human and he teams up with other SEGA franchises to fight Nintendo... if this series has one thing going for it, it's that
they actually killed off Tails within the first two minutes of the first episode

Seriously though, it's fucking stupid and hilarious; when does the next episode come out?

TheOGB

Banned
Finally finished Colors challenge mode after loafing around.

Maybe it's because I'm a bit reckless or because I expected it, but I didn't notice any big problems with 2D platforming, double jumping, or any of that. Still a fun, solid good time.

GAMERG0D

But you have a Final Fantasy VIII avatar!
But VIII is objectively bad with drawing magic, levels not mattering, an unlikable protagonist, and many more issues.

I don't mind any of those things. When I said Top 5 I didn't mean my favorite games. I'd probably put VIII in front of VII if we were talking favs.

PKrockin

Now someone tell me I can play Black Knight with the GC controller, because sword clashing King Arthur is the most bullshit thing. I've been doing nothing but failing at clashing in his second phase for a half hour now.

edit: 45 minutes

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
But VIII is objectively bad with... levels not mattering
I have never once thought that this was a bad thing. It's one of the better FFs to easily speedrun as a result of that. If it weren't for the fact that junctioning can break the game for you, I would've said that enemies scaling with you and essentially being punished for being at a high/max level (since enemies get harder-hitting skills to go with their newfound stats) would be a nice way of coordinating balance throughout the game.

Now someone tell me I can play Black Knight with the GC controller, because sword clashing King Arthur is the most bullshit thing. I've been doing nothing but failing at clashing in his second phase for a half hour now.

edit: 45 minutes
Wiimote/Nunchuk only. :(

That fight was tough, iirc. It really is dumb. I just remember someone saying "follow the onscreen prompts! Time the sword slash!" No. I love the music, but the fight itself is very bs.

PKrockin

It took 58 minutes but somehow I beat him. I hope this is the end of the game but I doubt it.

Time the slash? lol. I have really good timing. The Wiimote is just unresponsive and/or the fight is programmed badly and/or the window is like 2 frames.

OK, I saw the credits and it took me back to the main menu without any scenes hinting that there's more to the story so I'm counting this one as complete. I'm finally free of the shitty Sonic games and I can go collect red rings in Generations! :)

I have never once thought that this was a bad thing. It's one of the better FFs to easily speedrun as a result of that. If it weren't for the fact that junctioning can break the game for you, I would've said that enemies scaling with you and essentially being punished for being at a high/max level (since enemies get harder-hitting skills to go with their newfound stats) would be a nice way of coordinating balance throughout the game.

I hate enemies that scale. For me, leveling up and experience points in RPGs are there so you can have a tough enemy and level until you are stronger than they are. If enemies increase in strength with the player, then there's not really any incentive to keep leveling outside of gaining some kind of perverse pleasure in watching numbers increment.

The worst was Lunar: The Silver Star Story Complete, which:

A) Featured bosses that scaled to the hero's level
B) Discouraged grinding by reducing the encounter rate the more you fought
C) Was distinguished by being a Working Designs joint

I got stuck on the second or third boss in the game and there is absolutely nothing you can do to overcome it. You have a finite amount of money, a finite inventory space, finite EXP, and a boss that can kill you in two hits and frequently attacks twice per turn. Hopeless.

I played to disc 2 of FFVIII and it was the opposite: I breezed through every encounter and didn't care one iota about the story, so the game held nothing of interest for me at all.

Edit: Hey cool! Post #9999 in this thread!

if you play jak ii, don't panic. just lie down, and simply wait to die.
Secretly all of us who have touched the cursed Jak 2 disc already died long ago, now we're just ghosts unable to cross over because we must remain to wail about Jak 2 and warn the living.

Tooie is the principle example of how a game can be too damn big for its own good.
And complex, single jigsaw pieces can involve tying together tasks across multiple worlds, though looking back this is actually one of the games stronger points on an ambitious level.

The only thing I don't like about Banjo 1 is how you lose all your notes when you die and/or when you willingly exit a level. They fixed that in the XBLA release, I hear.
Rusty Bucket Bay engine room devours the tears of 100 note collection.

Jak II is poop, you may as well just get the standalone first game and pretend everyone dies at the end.
It's a better fate for old Jak truly, he wont be tortured and Daxter wont develop a potty mouth.

I feel like Kazooie has aged better than Tooie. Perfect level design in that game, and one of the greatest soundtracks of all time.
Yes, very much so, I didn't really realise how much I liked it until last year but it's damn good stuff throughout.

Finally finished Colors challenge mode after loafing around.

Maybe it's because I'm a bit reckless or because I expected it, but I didn't notice any big problems with 2D platforming, double jumping, or any of that. Still a fun, solid good time.

Playing so much Colours probably gets you used to its style of physics, challenge mode is great and they should've put it in Generations as well.
All Sonic games should have this from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom