• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEO0MJ

I prefer this one muchos grande more.

Sonic 3's boss theme I don't care much for.

I so love this track.

isitxy2V46yUm.png

If he actually wore it in the game I wouldn't have minded that redesign much.

Well I secretly want Sony to acquire them...but they didn't do shit to get MonHun on a Sony system, so there's a very low chance here.
...unless Atlus goes Indie, then they'd be all over them...

Personally, I would rather see Sony do something with their other RPG IPs before picking up something like Persona. I know it's a fat chance of them doing that, though.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
Clean gameplay video of Desert Ruins Act 2 from Lost World.

Really like the music; sounds like something from the first Adventure game. Sonic's running animation bothers me though.

Lovin it!. Sega continues its tradition of strong music.

This has to be done with assistance from Kenichi Tokoi or Fumie Kumatani. Tomoya Ohtani has a certain style to him that's more like Dance, Hip-Hop, Techno, and Funk. Jazz was always more of Tokoi or Kumatani's field.

BlackJace

I happen to think Red Rings and Medals are bullshit in general. The point of the 3D stages that incorporate them are to blast through them as quickly as possible. I'm not keeping my eyes peeled for those things that, literally, are passed in seconds. Hell, you can't even go back in 3D stages a lot of the time.

The point of the Red Rings is to provide exploration to those that want it. Like, you just wanna blow through the stages? Gotta speed, keed? Then here you go, the base layout is for you. Got a turgid chilidog for pokin' about in every corner of a stage? Well there's your Red Rings and shit.

Unleashed's medals were the prototype form of that where they took the vocal "we like to explore the stages and shit" people at face value and made it a central part of the progression. After the unsurprisingly contradictary feedback, they scaled it back and reworked then as an optional extra.

qq more

I'm too afraid to admit that I was never that crazy about the PS2 in the gaming side. So I'll just say it here:

I was never crazy about the PS2

I'm just glad the Red Rings are in some kinda order again, like Colors. Owl will know what I'm saying. Fuck you, Generations!
I hear you, Generations really bungled a simple system with no order and then just telling you the general ring locations by bugging the side characters over and over to compensate in the worst way.

The point of the Red Rings is to provide exploration to those that want it. Like, you just wanna blow through the stages? Gotta speed, keed? Then here you go, the base layout is for you. Got a turgid chilidog for pokin' about in every corner of a stage? Well there's your Red Rings and shit.

Unleashed's medals were the prototype form of that where they took the vocal "we like to explore the stages and shit" people at face value and made it a central part of the progression. After the unsurprisingly contradictary feedback, they scaled it back and reworked then as an optional extra.
Precisely, it's another level of gameplay that helps boost the replay value.
While I do agree with Blackjace that Sonic isn't exactly the best character for snooping around levels on the hunt for hidden stuff (screw you CD) it still works if they position the rings in a position that serves as a reward for finding a hidden route of completing a tricky piece of platforming. Just don't make the actual act of picking up the ring difficult for the wrong reasons, remember that one red ring in modern city escape when being chased by the gun truck? that was just silly. In turn this was why medals pretty much sucked in Unleashed, it was basically like that instance ALL THE TIME and on top of that were tied to actual main game progression, Red rings fortunately are not.

Oh and obligatory hint towards these things for the love of all that is decent, insert DKC2 reference here, condemn NSMB Wii/U and their fake wall fetish and occasionally bullshit hidden exits.

Sciz

Lovin it!. Sega continues its tradition of strong music.

Eh. The only track I'm really feeling so far is the 3DS Desert Ruins theme, and even that comes off as a cut down Shamar. The other three are pleasant enough, but they don't go anywhere, like a more chipper take on Zero Gravity's music.

qq more

My brothers had Jak II actually. They won it from some Toonami sweepstakes many years ago.

then they told me its shit and sold it

the end

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That Atlus thread on gaming side is driving me bonkers. It's pages of people asking Company X to buy whatever. Tch.

Ni no Kuni impressions almost finished. Honestly, I expected myself to feel anger or frustration when I finished it, but I just feel nothing. Noi told me that he felt the same way when he got the platinum. It was so unremarkable and insulting that both of us felt nothing.

Eh. The only track I'm really feeling so far is the 3DS Desert Ruins theme, and even that comes off as a cut down Shamar. The other three are pleasant enough, but they don't go anywhere, like a more chipper take on Zero Gravity's music.
Yeah, it's kinda weird. You'd think that Ohtani and his band of composers would do some stuff with several movements and different instruments unique to every zone, but here, they just feel like they don't have momentum or they stay on the same rail for most of it. I guess the pacing of the levels don't encourage it? That's kind of a shame to me. Who knows.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I had a PS2 and Dreamcast back then. And a GBA.

I believe that between the ages of 14-16 (so 2002-2004), I used to heavily bash Nintendo, and that was solely why: a) I didn't get a GameCube (hell, none of my cousins did; they got an Xbox and PS2 instead), and b) I dropped the GBA like a hot potato back then, but that's moreso because I was concentrating on my studies more often.

I used to throw around arguments like, "Nintendo used to strongarm the market back in the 1990s and their hubris bit them in the ass!" or something. I used to bash on the Mario spinoffs all the time outside of the RPGs because whenever my buddies played them on our spare periods, they just looked like they weren't my thing at all. Read any Nintendo thread on gaming side, and that's probably how I behaved.

I was a teenager. I'm too old and I like games too much for that kind of garbage now. It's just immature, and it's not good discourse.

The story was very believable until that "I like games" part, Schala.

Also, don't look now, but I think Half-Life 3 is totally confirmed

Gaben pls

I was a Nintendo fanboy for the longest time during the PS2's reign. Then I finally got one for cheap when I was working at Game Crazy. My life changed on that day.

Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 (shush, Schala!), God of War 2, Capcom vs. SNK 2, motherfuckin' Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks.

PS2 da best. Now, and forever. The only thing that could match it was the Dreamcast.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't like how Sonic looks like he handles there. It strikes me as a little off. It makes me feel kinda uncertain, to be honest with you.

Edit: Wow at some of that spring/booster/enemy placement. Err.... Hm....

I was a Nintendo fanboy for the longest time during the PS2's reign. Then I finally got one for cheap when I was working at Game Crazy. My life changed on that day.

Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 (shush, Schala!), God of War 2, Capcom vs. SNK 2, motherfuckin' Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks.

PS2 da best. Now, and forever. The only thing that could match it was the Dreamcast.
SNES? I'm still buying SNES/SFC games to this day because I feel like I missed a lot or I want to buy things I've rented/borrowed back in the day.

PS2 had... buncha FF games I liked, Tales of Destiny R, Tales of Rebirth, DMC3 SE, Genso Suikoden V, DQ5/DQ8, Frequency, Amplitude, Front Mission 5, Grandia II/III, Haunting Ground, Silent Hill 2/3, Mega Man X8, Namco X Capcom, Shadow Hearts 1-3, Shadow of Destiny, Digital Devil Saga, SMT Nocturne, P3/P4, Wild Arms 3 & 5, a heckuva lot of Ys games, Yakuza, a buncha other stuff I forgot about...

So yes, good system.

I had a GC and PS2 and worked with a mutually beneficial plan with my friend where he as the bigger Sony fan picked up the many quality PS2 titles while my poorer and Nintendo loving arse picked up the fewer GC exclusives, and then we'd just borrow the games off each other and experience all the fun, I actually had incredibly few PS2 games now I think about it.
Hell to this day there's still a bit of that plan going on, to think that the gaming industry almost went in a direction that would prevent this money saving tradition!

I don't like how Sonic looks like he handles there. It strikes me as a little off. It makes me feel kinda uncertain, to be honest with you.

Something that I haven't really wanted to admit around here is that Lost World looks decent so far but not much more than that. I can't really put my finger on it, while I think the parkour system looks damn cool everything else is very...basic? of course we've barely seen anything yet but as opposed to refining and building up off Generations it looks like a slower colours that doesn't take much advantage of what Sonic as a series presents if that makes any sense (that one 2D pyramid interior stage in the 3DS game being a pretty big example of what i'm driving at).

Genesis>>>>>>>>>>>>>>everything else

Mega Drive>>>>>Genesis
50hz for life!

Nope, it makes it sound MEGA! you just got the Sega CD, we got the MEGA CD, MEGA!
You folks have me using Genesis in real life befuddling my less knowledgeable gaming friends, you will never know this pain.

Enjoy your grey and lilac SNES buttons that you keep pretending to like until your equally grey and lilac hearts can take no more.

I kid, I kid, Kiddo, I don't even mind the name Genesis.

Enjoy your grey and lilac SNES buttons that you keep pretending to like until your equally grey and lilac hearts can take no more.

I actually kinda like the US SNES color scheme. SFC/PAL SNES is better, but still.

You guys definitely got the best controllers, though. Color scheme of the SFC controllers, but without the hilariously short cord length.

Actually, I agree; we should have gotten the colorful buttons for the SNES.

Although best of both worlds would give us the concave buttons, as well (as opposed to the SFC's, which were all convex).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom