• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

qq more

That's a good idea, especially considering getting loose copies of any of the GBA Pokemon games online are a gamble since a lot of them are bootlegs.

Back when Nintendo still sold DS cases with the little notch inside to hold GBA games on their online store, I bought a bunch and used them to store some of my loose GB/GBA games. Even printed the covers so I knew which was which.

K78pws8.jpg

TzfwkXY.jpg

That's what I've done but it doesn't feel the same... I heard 3DS cases actually holds GB/GBC carts pretty decent without needing mods.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Nail on the head. Well, that and Sonic Boom. Can't stand that Sweet Cuppin' Cakes-sounding Believe in Yourself.
I totally switched the soundtrack over to US for Metallic Madness Act 3 just so I could hear Sonic Boom at the end. I like it way better than the JP vocal stuff, and I feel like it fits the end anime scene better.

Nah, it's not CIB. I guess the place I got if from just didn't know the value of it. The label's in pretty good condition, which was the reason I bought it; the label from my childhood copy is pretty much gone, and in it's place is a cut out piece of paper taped to the place on the cart where the label would be with "Chrono Trigger" written in marker and a poorly drawn doodle of Crono. (I was 9, sue me.)

Yeah, CIB copies of the SFC version are pretty cheap. I might just get it one of these days just for the sake of collecting.
A good find and price. Sometimes you can find loose copies for ridiculous, ridiculous amounts, so I'm glad you grabbed it when you could. Especially to replace the copy you had, haha.

And that's the exact reason why I want to grab a copy of the SFC version. Just so that I can have it.

One of the aspects I did like about the good ending is Riou's staunch refusal to submit to their fate regardless of what the runes had plans to do.

Doing this also mirrors the tale of Han and Genkaku's duel which gives it even more gravitas.
You could have seen this throughout the game, too. That's why they kept getting sick or fainted; trying to resist what the runes wanted.

That's what I've done but it doesn't feel the same... I heard 3DS cases actually holds GB/GBC carts pretty decent without needing mods.

I just tried that out just now--it does work surprisingly well, especially if you have the original manual (or some kind of replacement) to add as extra padding so the game doesn't slide around in the case.

If I could add some borders in the case so it didn't need padding, that would be ideal, though.

TheOGB

Banned
Annndroiiiiiiid

holy moly that difference, now they really DO sound like something on a 90s keyboard (I figured out how to play Mystic Cave on my uncle's hella dusty keyboard while I was in Tennessee :3)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Put together a comparison between the music in the original Sonic 1 and the recent smartphone re-release of Sonic 1

http://blazehedgehog.tumblr.com/post/54263603842/heres-something-i-dont-think-ive-seen-anyone-do
Oh man, when putting them side by side like that, it's just so weird to hear things that are there now. They're so incredibly different. Thanks for doing this, Blazey-Blaze. Especially for Spring Yard. Totally full percussion.

Sheesh!

Also I decided to actually take a picture of these. Finally got a chance to add the third piece.

dsc00812z2s0u.jpg

BHZ Mayor

*spoiler warning*

So I finished The Last of Us today, and I have to say Naughty Dog came with it. They absolutely nailed it with the detail. The game does an excellent job blending the cinematic presentation with the gameplay without over-reliance on setpieces. There was one particular moment however where my response was literally "Come on game with this Uncharted-ass shit. You were doing so good." But other than that, this is a "game game" through and through.

The characters did a great job of making me feel a connection with them, to the point where I cheered
"Yeah! Chop his ass up!" when Eliie killed a late game villain that kidnapped her
. The locations help accentuate the mood and the details
(and notes and journals you can pick up)
even help tell the story, from the hopelessness of the post-apocalyptic setting to the brief moments where you can just relax and bask in the scenery. There was one area
(the river in the pine tree forest when you're on the way to meet your character's brother)
where I had to actually stop and take in the scale and beauty of the location Naughty Dog crafted.

There were a couple of moments in the game where it was a little unclear where to go or what to do, but other than that, I don't have anything bad to say about this game. I recommend this to anyone who is a fan of Naughty Dog's recent output, or games similar in style to Resident Evil 4.

Well, on to Going Commando for real this time.

P.S. Better than Jak 2.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
HAPPY CANADA DAY

Rick Mercer tells Americans about Canada.
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

===

BHZ Mayor, being better than Jak II isn't that high of a bar. I'll get onto playing TLoU when... uh, I can. And when I finish the Uncharted games. I wasn't home all weekend, so I haven't played it since I've started it (so chapter 3ish). I just don't feel right going out and getting TLoU until I play Uncharted, just because I feel like that game fits within the Uncharted scheme of things, and it'd be neat to see how the cinematic presentation evolves throughout those games up to The Last of Us.

===

That picture there is a work of art, so sublime, it really speaks to me.
Sheeeesh. I'll finish DKC3 now that I own it! Pretty happy I have CIB copies of these now, even if I'm not a huge fan of 'em. They look nice. The boxes, I mean.

Tizoc

Yo, Schala, YO!
Review Deadpool next!

Oh and that reminds me, did SEGA ever mention releasing Sonic 2 to 3DS? ...and wether it was the GG or Genesis version?

Ferr986

Yo, Schala, YO!
Review Deadpool next!

Oh and that reminds me, did SEGA ever mention releasing Sonic 2 to 3DS? ...and wether it was the GG or Genesis version?

Isnt the GG version of Sonic2 on the eshop already?

I guess the MD version will come as a 3D.

I just tried that out just now--it does work surprisingly well, especially if you have the original manual (or some kind of replacement) to add as extra padding so the game doesn't slide around in the case.

If I could add some borders in the case so it didn't need padding, that would be ideal, though.

So to follow up on this I decided that the best way to create a border would be to cut up a foam sheet and insert into the case. Luckily, someone on The Cover Project's forum already thought up the idea and used it successfully!

I looked around afterward and noticed that Michael's carries sticky back foam sheets. I'm going to compare the depth of those foam sheets with the 3DS cases, and hopefully there won't be any trimming required. If there isn't, it would be a very simple matter of cutting the sheets into strips and then inserting them into the case. It is a pretty appealing aspect for me, because I have wanted to put all of my games into cases but I never wanted to do the heavy modifications on a DS case to get it to work. Right now I have all of my GB/C and GBA games in a large binder with plastic sleeves, which is pretty effective too, but I love displaying my collection.

PKrockin

Could any of you who've had the misfortune of playing Shadow the Hedgehog all the way through tell me how long the game is? howlongtobeat.com says 6-8 hours, but it's taking me forever. I have to go slowly or else I'll miss one of the 30 million required collectables/enemies in the shitty environments where everything looks the same. I wasted an hour in the "hacking Eggman's database" level by dying in a certain pit until I got a game over. I'm just about fucking done with searching for shit in slow, boring-ass levels after 15 hours of that in Heroes and Unleashed.

I only beat, like, six of the ten paths required to unlock the Last Story when I briefly had the game (worked at Gamestop at the time, and y'know that whole thing about borrowing new games to try out, as a perk of the job? It's totally true, and it's how I played this shit).

Took me a few hours. Didn't actually clock it at any point.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Shadow the Hedgehog, to get everything and all of the endings, took me about 10-12 hours, iirc. Just beat it in 6 hours and get one ending. The rest of them aren't worth it and you can watch them on YouTube anyway!

Nintendo of Canada put this up for us today.

971306_20598714285898ejs3o.jpg

Man, I miss when Colin used to be on This Hour; he was only on for two years, but he was greeeeeaaaat. I love Rick Mercer, and it's awesome that he has his own show now, but This Hour was so darn good when it started up.

Learn more about Canada here, where Rick Mercer teaches Canadians about the country. Don Cherry coaches a hockey team, and buys material for his snazzy suits at Fabricland. As an aside, I voted for this good man's party in 2010. He passed away in 2011, but he was an amazing guy and I thought he was pretty cute. This is Jack Layton and his wife in Star Trek uniforms. This is the NeoGAF thread for his passing.

I'm happy that my parents chose Canada to live a few months after I was born. It's a good place. Stressful at times, but it's a good place. Met lots of neat people.

Edit: Oh ya, I made a cake.

dsc00813a0san.jpg

More Canada fun, from my page-a-day calendar:

Oɴ Wʜʏ Cᴀɴᴀᴅᴀ Sʜᴏᴜʟᴅ Sᴇᴀʟ Iᴛs Bᴏʀᴅᴇʀs
  • Don't all Canadians wear raccoon hats? Where can I buy one?
  • Where does Alberta end and Canada begin?
  • Do you have a glacier at this visitor's center?
actual questions asked of Canadian forest rangers

Things I know about Canada:

• One of their cricketers scored one of the fastest ODI centuries ever at the 2003 World Cup
  • I can't tell their accent from US ones
  • As fellow Brommonwealthians they're probably pretty great
  • Scott Pilgrim

Sciz

So according to TSSZ's twitter, the legal dispute between Penders and Archie is over and Penders is going through with the Lara-Su series. Is that good?

It's good in the sense that there shouldn't be any more uncertainty and the creative staff can get on with planning out the future without worrying. There's one major plotline which might be unceremoniously cut off, but nothing else of value was lost, and Penders gets to finally write more of his anthropomorphic echidna Krypton blather that a few dozen people still care about.

Well I finished Deadly Premonition earlier, it’s an odd one that’s for sure.
Make no mistake the game both plays and looks like arse, our currently absent friend Hot Coldman gave me the advice to just stick with it at first and while simple advice it’s understandable, the game has an incredibly weak first impression, getting past the visual hurdle is one thing but the frame rate on the PS3 version fumbles all over the place. The short gameplay segment at the start consists of awkward aiming mechanics, spongy enemies, block pushing and picking up a key item to use just down the path, the most damning thing here? This represents a good portion of this games gameplay output that you will repeat ad nasuem.

Talk about starting off on the wrong foot, if I wasn’t aware of the games cult classic status I doubt I’d ever have carried on, in fact it took me a while to even get back to it after finishing the prologue, I returned to be greeted with the games somewhat unwieldy driving controls and surprisingly huge map that’s a pain to route plan with since you can only zoom it out so far. So yeah it was still on the wrong foot, hopping onwards.
But at some point, beyond the lumber mill section (which was surprisingly combat heavy compared to the other areas of its kind considering how early in the game it was) the games bizarre style started sinking in, for all its failings on the gameplay front I started getting the impression that this was not something that lacked effort. There’s plenty of games out there that simply play poorly because they’re rushed out licensed titles or because it was clear the people behind it gave zero fucks yet Deadly Premonition comes across as having ambition, I may even use that cop out term of “charm”, well it’s not so bad when used positively. The quirkiness combined with an interesting "whodunit" kept me intrigued and before I knew it I was playing for hours at a time, even if I dreaded every moment where the loading screen signified I was about to be shooting at zombie things with the same 3 wailing sound bites heard over and over, even when the game had me taking a boring lengthy trip across the map with me having to plan out my route as to get there as fast as possible, basically the plot was carrying it along for me.

One of the most unintentionally hilarious things in this game has to be how limited the soundtrack is, there’s only a handful of tracks with wildly differing styles used all the time, often within the same cutscenes, you go from the cheerful whistling ear worm to end all ear worms straight into a warped saxophone, it’s oddly endearing much like the game itself.

Unfortunately the good times didn’t last, the last 2 or 3 chapters of the game completely fell flat with me for the most part, pacing was a bit off, the plot went in a direction that I just didn’t find at all as engaging as before which in turn highlighted the poor game mechanics once more which had stayed consistently crud for like the entire game, capped off with a pretty awful final boss battle I wasn’t left feeling as positive as I was during the mid game stretch.

It’s a game I’m glad to have played as it’s interesting to see just how plot and characters can rise above shoddy mechanics and technical flaws to make for an engaging experience but I can’t see myself ever playing it again, one of those rare cases of a game that could really have benefited from actually having less game in it, it’s not really strong survival horror anyway, to think the original version was even worse in this respect is certainly something. A marmite game in its truest form.

The best pro wrestler ever comes from Canada

I'll give you a hint: starts with "Chris" and doesn't end in Jericho
I remember one of my favourites being some variety of Chris from Canada.

Noi

Talk about starting off on the wrong foot, if I wasn’t aware of the games cult classic status I doubt I’d ever have carried on, in fact it took me a while to even get back to it after finishing the prologue, I returned to be greeted with the games somewhat unwieldy driving controls and surprisingly huge map that’s a pain to route plan with since you can only zoom it out so far. So yeah it was still on the wrong foot, hopping onwards.

This was me. I played through the first few chapters before stopping, and actually took a bit of effort for me to pick it up back up. Glad I did though, the game's great.

I didn't think the final boss was bad, but then again I had infinite ammo versions of damn near every gun by that point.

Well the final boss was just kind of a tedious note to end on, the game doesn't really mesh well with the whole boss thing in general i'd say, that and I kept screwing up the very last bit because my many shots all somehow kept missing the final target, actually that's pretty much where my grouchiness there stems from.

Believe me, I was really lamenting my choice of the shotgun when I remembered how much more useful the machine gun would've been, even the shotgun's spread wasn't beneficial here.

Woah, that game there is apparently making stealth cool again, step aside mark of the ninja, you do not have a badass vampire equivalent of Sam Fisher!

Noi

I love that every single gameplay segment there as a visible objective marker that tell you were to go with no compromise. Stealth gameplay done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom