• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciz

So Sonic Advance 1 was... good? I only played the first zone of the second game. Basically held right to win, like I've heard.

Advance 1 is a surprisingly reasonable facsimile of the classics for the first four zones. The physics are only a little off, the level design is passably sophisticated, and there aren't too many of Dimps' usual cheap shots. Then you hit Angel Island and the whole thing falls to pieces, but it's nice while it lasts.

I just want a new Dragon Ball Advance Adventure. Dimps pls

Too bad, Dimps is too busy working on their first big new 3D Sonic. They're finally moving up to the big show. Next-gen Sonic, with the greenest eyes you've ever seen

and the furriest fur!

i0GAnRUmjGCpR.gif

Too bad, Dimps is too busy working on their first big new 3D Sonic. They're finally moving up to the big show. Next-gen Sonic, with the greenest eyes you've ever seen

I kinda resigned myself to not getting what I want from Dimps when we never got Burst Limit 2. Guess they don't feel the need to do that kind of thing anymore now that're on the Capcom/SF4 train.

I'm okay with Artdink doing the new DBZ game though. Their Gundam/Macross games on PSP were pretty cool.

This is actually pretty cool to see. Probably the most solid evidence of "this is what we can do this gen but couldn't last" I've seen yet.

Man, if mascot platformers were still a thing, I can only imagine this thick fur technology would get a heckuva lotta use. Might still be able to use it for grass or something...

qq more

So Sonic Advance 1 was... good? I only played the first zone of the second game. Basically held right to win, like I've heard.

Advance 1 is very good. Only Zone 6 really sucked. The rest were fun levels (although Angel Island could've been a bit nicer). Amy mode is really interesting and I'm not even a fan of the character!

Advance 2 was really awful and was definitely hold right to win/fall into pits for no reason.

OMG Aero

You guys had better get Danganronpa Vita! It's Ace Attorney on crack, and you'll come to love it. Seriously, it's so good. I kinda hope they sneak in some Ace Attorney/Persona references if they can into the localization, because that's what it is: Ace Attorney + social links + Zero Escape. Buy it.
Oh is that game getting localised? Is it actually any good?
All I know about Danganronpa is that it's basically the most popular let's play on Something Awful and has like 5 million views.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh is that game getting localised? Is it actually any good?
All I know about Danganronpa is that it's basically the most popular let's play on Something Awful and has like 5 million views.
Really good. The puzzles are fun. Essentially, it's like a puzzle visual novel along the lines of 999/VLR. It has trials like Ace Attorney does. The Vita version includes a school life mode where you can basically social link up with your friends instead of going through the whole trial thing only.

I met Schala today.
She was hairier than expected.
... dammit, Noi. I'm cuter than that. >:L

I think.

and the furriest fur!

i0GAnRUmjGCpR.gif

sonic looks a little different than what i remember in this .gif

You guys had better get Danganronpa Vita! It's Ace Attorney on crack, and you'll come to love it. Seriously, it's so good. I kinda hope they sneak in some Ace Attorney/Persona references if they can into the localization, because that's what it is: Ace Attorney + social links + Zero Escape. Buy it.

I won't because I already spoiled the ending. B)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hey Schala, good ol' GameTrailers happens to think Ni No Kuni is of the best games of the year so far lol.
You know, I was feeling very miserable today, and this made me feel even more miserable. :/

Silly. Learn what decent RPG mechanics are and don't get distracted by pretty tassels.

Man, I just wanna curl up in bed with a big bowl of ice cream or a box of chocolates... then I think about the calorie count and I'm like, "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooope."

Your best friend DYne didn't wanna take care of his kid, so you both had to fight each other. Congrats, now you ARE Marlene's father.
You're that far in already? I'm impressed.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
But that there is standard industry protocol!
Next-gen brown filters would like a word!

EDIT: Their reasoning for Ni no Kuni is complete bs. Gah, I knew they were gonna focus on the visuals as opposed to the shoddy combat mechanics and growth options. I'm surprised they didn't bring up how god-awful repetitive it is. And "takes its time to explore its mechanics"? Talk about 20 hours in! How do people ding FF13 for that, and not Ni No Kuni? Sometimes it feels worse at times because the AI is completely braindead, even more braindead than FF13's is at times. *headdesk*

I love how they make the combat system sound like it has more depth than it really does. There are several of us on (and off of) GAF who can tell you that they're dead-wrong. One of whom went on the plat run route, someone who did a bit of the postgame quests, and myself--I did most of the postgame quests and got tired of the monotony of trying to almost do a plat run until I realized wtf I was doing.

I always thought Schala was crazy, and this just confirms it

Also, Beef I'm gonna step up and be the man of the house for Marlene, but I'll curse DYne's name to the end of the earth.

Next-gen brown filters would like a word!

The illustrious industry of gaming journalism will award extra points for graphical prowess whether gritty or surprisingly colourful, there is room for both as long as its potent enough to distract from potentially lacking gameplay.

And seeing this new evidence from Blackjace, maybe you'd understand if you actually played past the first few hours, that tome was all an elaborate hoax!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Evidence that I didn't play past the first few hours, confirmed:

bnjoal2cuaawidqlxsw9.jpg

And pfft. Grading based on superficial layers. Just because it looks pretty doesn't mean that it has a ton of depth. It's nice to look at, but how much enjoyment will that give you in the end? :/

zAaAB.gif

I will not accept this fraudulent "evidence"!
There's a gaping hole in that one guys testimony, ergo you have to be mad instead!

And pfft. Grading based on superficial layers. Just because it looks pretty doesn't mean that it has a ton of depth. It's nice to look at, but how much enjoyment will that give you in the end? :/
Any game that pumps so much money/effort into visuals has to be good by default, it's a little law I like to call "AAA Law".

(I can't keep this charade up much longer, I feel so filthy)

Look at this chick, taking somebody else's save file pic from RPGamer.com

Also, did you know RPGamer has like, the exact same layout from 2000 and still isn't built for widescreen

There's even a "Back" button at the bottom

OMG Aero

You guys are too swept up in your Ni No Kuni hate to realise that Luigi's Mansion 2 is the sole 3DS game on that list in a year when Fire Emblem Awakening and Animal Crossing New Leaf came out.

Edit: Also Denpa Men 2: the greatest RPG of all time.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I still have to play Luigi's Mansion 2, but Bean's taking his time getting through his videos that I'm waiting until he's ready to start. So I have no idea whether or not it's good yet! We'll see when I play it.

I haven't played Animal Crossing yet. Fire Emblem was a decent game. I still think I like the SFC games far more, though. Just at least in terms of narrative since Seisen no Keifu had one of the most despicable villains in RPGs, ever.

Look at this chick, taking somebody else's save file pic from RPGamer.com

Also, did you know RPGamer has like, the exact same layout from 2000 and still isn't built for widescreen

There's even a "Back" button at the bottom
Pfft. Nope, still mine.

Also, I forgot that RPGamer existed for a while! Man, they still do have the same layout from back then. :x

I will not accept this fraudulent "evidence"!
There's a gaping hole in that one guys testimony, ergo you have to be mad instead!

Any game that pumps so much money/effort into visuals has to be good by default, it's a little law I like to call "AAA Law".

(I can't keep this charade up much longer, I feel so filthy)
I can't be mad because my misery's running counter to my annoyance, creating this small feeling of general indifference verging on annoyance. :p

With that said, there are a lot of games that look really awesome and colourful, and also play well. Including some in this generation. Vesperia, Rayman Origins, Sonic Colours/Gens, etc. Though, to be fair, it might be cheating if I do list platformers.

I had you cast Beta on him too so you could show him who the alpha was.
Hahaha! Beef, you're the bestest.

Speaking of popular GOTY 2013 contenders, I recently beat Metal Gear Rising, and, ah, was kinda dissapointed. Like it doesn't really go that much further beyond the idea that was demonstarted in the demo. It's no Bayonetta or Vanquish. I think I enjoyed DmC more (has more variety)

Despite the 5 hour length it got tiring at certain spots :/ (maybe I'm playing it worng got mostly B ranks tough)

PKrockin

What's everyone's favorite depiction of Sonic? I've always been partial to the way he looks in the Sonic CD into, ever since I was a kid.

The nice thing about a simple design like Sonic is it gives you more time to animate more frames of him moving fast, making more impressive animation.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sonic OVA depiction. So cute.

Speaking of popular GOTY 2013 contenders, I recently beat Metal Gear Rising, and, ah, was kinda dissapointed. Like it doesn't really go that much further beyond the idea that was demonstarted in the demo. It's no Bayonetta or Vanquish. I think I enjoyed DmC more (has more variety)

Despite the 5 hour length it got tiring at certain spots :/ (maybe I'm playing it worng got mostly B ranks tough)
My reaction for going from Metal Gear Rising almost immediately to DmC was apparently hilarious. I can't say I agree about DmC, though. I really dislike how easy it is to combo things. Art design looks alright.

With that said, Rising is still in the lead for my GotY, but I expect that to change come September.

I finished Trails in the Sky.

And the winner for slowest RPG in the history of anything goes toooooo you already know.

I mean sure it was good, but nowhere near as good as some people seem to portray. It was just pleasant and inoffensive, but not spectacular. And do to the ending being a cliffhangar and all the games already being out I have now spoiled myself silly on the sequels.

:V

So yeah.

OMG Aero

Fire Emblem Awakening ain't that great either though.
Awakening is my first Fire Emblem so I'm not even going to pretend to be a good authority on it, but I think it's a much better game than Luigi's Mansion 2, and with how Animal Crossing has blown up on the internet I would think that would be on the list over Luigi too.

But then again I spent the majority of today playing a Neptunia game so what the fuck do I know about good games.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
But Neptunia mk2 actually has decent battle mechanics and alchemy! I don't know much about Victory, but I presume it builds upon the mechanics of mk2. It's the first Neptunia game that's actually pure garbage because lol, random healing, bad framerate, poor battle mechanics, weird share system, etc.

I finished Trails in the Sky.

And the winner for slowest RPG in the history of anything goes toooooo you already know.

I mean sure it was good, but nowhere near as good as some people seem to portray. It was just pleasant and inoffensive, but not spectacular. And do to the ending being a cliffhangar and all the games already being out I have now spoiled myself silly on the sequels.

:V

So yeah.
I told you that Trails in the Sky SC and 3rd are way better, and have better pacing. 3rd, in particular, has better characterization for all of the side characters in SC and FC, and the sidequests actually matter in terms of building upon character relationships. It's also pretty unconventional in terms of its setting, so it doesn't necessarily play it safe. And the soundtrack is really freaking good and jazzy. SC has better growth for Estelle and Joshua, and stuff actually happens in there (outside of the bits towards the end where it feels like a MacGuffin Quest).

It's okay; I don't think that highly of FC either. 3rd is where the series finally clicked for me and made me go for Zero no Kiseki next. I was originally going to go for Zero because I liked the soundtrack so much, but I'm glad I heeded everyone else's advice and played SC and 3rd instead of going right to Zero.

I haven't finished Zero and I'm waiting for Ao no Kiseki Evolution to finally be announced, so no spoilers for those, please. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom