• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to see you all have transitioned from playing nonsense like Jak II to CT and FFVII!

I'd like to be
Magus
(Is this even a spoiler anymore?) if you plan on actually recruiting him.

To elaborate on the odd point, despite how infamous Uncharted is for movie setpieces, Naughty Dog does a good job in making the player feel in control of what happens during them. Where other games would take control away from the player just for dramatic effect, Uncharted has you pressing all the buttons to do all the stunts. If I feel like climbing up a cliff and then leaping down to my death, ND don't put invisible walls to stop me from doing so. If I want to let this truck run me over just to see what happens, the truck won't slow down while Drake keeps running forward at a slower pace. If I get crowded by 30 dudes who I have to take out with stealth and shootin', I do it all on my own. It's as "gamelike" as I can imagine one making a hollywood-esque blockbuster without stopping the player and taking control away to do cool shit every 5 seconds.

(I haven't played UC3 so this opinion isn't including that one.)

This is generally why the setpieces are praised, at the very least they wont be a cutscene and you actually have some control during them, other games would probably reduce them to a fancy looking QTE so I appreciate them not doing that, stuff like
the jeep jumping, falling building with helicopter pursuit
are pretty memorable segments.
Though it has to be said, that truck ain't gonna hit you unless you let it.

In other news i'm gutted that you took Robo, i'm just going to pout over here.

Okay so far:

Crono: Rebel (THAT'S ME)
Marle: ?
Lucca: Schala (yes? no? maybe???)
Frog: Coldman (THAT'S NOT ME)
Robo: Noi (if my understandation of speeching is good)
Ayla: ?
Magus
: Seven Force
Crono's mom: JC
Flea: qq more

EDIT: I might make Kokonoe Ayla, 'cause I think she is staying out of this topic until the new Sonic game comes out.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Schala's already in the game, though! Then you'll have two Schalas.

(I'll respond to Nocturnowl in a bit when I have some time to read stuff.)

Also, yes. Steins;Gate is not a high school "pick your waifu" sim. It's much better than that. Check out the anime if you must, but it only covers the true ending. The characterization in the VN is very good, and the time travel aspect is handled very well. Also, I'm a fool and ordered the 2-pack last night after considering it. The things I do at like 5 AM, because I'm still balking at the price over here. >_<

On the topic of birthdays, it was always one of those things that I was good at memorizing when I was a little kid. I always knew when it was one of my classmates' birthday, so I gave 'em a dollar or two to buy something at the variety store across the street as a little treat (couldn't afford anything, so I just gave them a bit of my allowance or something since they could use it more than I could that day). So of course if you've mentioned it to me in the past, I'd probably remember your birthday.

BlackJace

It's a shame Transformed can't seem to get recognition if its not compared against Mario Kart. I hate when people make thread titles like that. Now it's barely talking about what makes the game great, and instead its a versus thread :(

PKrockin

Playing Sonic CD some more... one of the things I love about it is the contrast in the environments throughout the time periods. Past Quartz Quadrant is a nice peaceful cavern with a clear blue lake in the background, and tons of crystals. Then you go to the bad future and Robotnik has apparently mined every last crystal and built an enormous factory complex. Not only that, but everything is on fire, no doubt due to some horrible EPA violation. You really get a sense of what's at stake if Sonic fails. After that you're even more satisfied when you earn a good future and see the plants, animals, and machines in harmony.

Steins;Gate is like the furthest thing from that.
Also, yes. Steins;Gate is not a high school "pick your waifu" sim. It's much better than that. Check out the anime if you must, but it only covers the true ending. The characterization in the VN is very good, and the time travel aspect is handled very well. Also, I'm a fool and ordered the 2-pack last night after considering it. The things I do at like 5 AM, because I'm still balking at the price over here. >_<

I'm sold.

It's a shame Transformed can't seem to get recognition if its not compared against Mario Kart. I hate when people make thread titles like that. Now it's barely talking about what makes the game great, and instead its a versus thread :(

"Nuh uh" "Uh huh" "Nuh uh" "Your mom"

OMG Aero

It is totally better than Mario Kart though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I started Tales of Innocence R. Ruca's angry face is the button for the Vita game.

2013-07-06-1717095bsv5.jpg
2013-07-06-1717360wsye.jpg

It's so much better than the DS version, but the dungeon design is still meh. The menu UI doesn't look as pretty as Hearts R's. I never liked Innocence's OP, either. The song, yes, but the OP itself, noooo. I like the animation in the new OP better, but I like the old OP song more. I'm too picky. I'm not that picky about the original DS one being in the resolution it is, though.

DS Version

2013-07-06-171859axsgv.jpg

Vita OP

2013-07-06-172938qgsbv.jpg
2013-07-06-1729326usls.jpg
2013-07-06-1729473vs3q.jpg
2013-07-06-172909vrszi.jpg

Trophies: Played Vesperia PS3/360? This is the same kinda deal. There's a "get all titles" trophy, speedrun trophy, get max levels trophy (Lv 200, just like Xillia 2; but Xillia 2's max level trophy's easier because you have EXP bonus exploits in that game). Naturally, because of this, the trophy list is harder than Graces f, Xillia's, and Xillia 2's (and out of those three, Graces' is the most difficult, because the Xillia games' are boring as hell and consist of doing repetitive tasks). Cutscenes are thankfully skippable, and judging by how long the DS version was, you can probably play this in 4-5 hours on a speedrun with the 2x grade option.

The menus don't look as good as Hearts R's. The menus look like... bleh. Also, not a lot of difficulty options? That's a shame.

Overall, I like the battle system better than the vanilla Innocence. Having two analog sticks really really helps out, too. Because you switch lines/free run with L-stick, move camera with the R-stick, and you move about your line with the D-pad. It feels versatile. The demo was a really good introduction to this game, so if you wanted to try it on JPSN, go ahead. The only thing is that I don't really like the colour palette in this game? Some of it looks too dry. Other times it looks too drab.

Oh, and Zero no Kiseki Evolution's still looking nice to me.

Then you go to the bad future and Robotnik has apparently mined every last crystal and built an enormous factory complex. Not only that, but everything is on fire, no doubt due to some horrible EPA violation.
Hahahahahaha! I never thought of that before! Oh man.

Robotnik's bad at science, confirmed.

PKrockin

Tales of Innocence R

Oh, cool, I want to try this game soon. I already own the DS version
both of them
but the Kanji looks much clearer in the Vita version. That'd be really helpful since my Japanese still kind of sucks.

Hahahahahaha! I never thought of that before! Oh man.

Robotnik's bad at science, confirmed.

lol, what, you never noticed in every single bad future all his machines and badniks are in a horrible state of disrepair? For a genius with an IQ of 300, he's awful at engineering--it's just that Sonic always destroys his creations before they get a chance to malfunction.

That menu UI looks kind of like a blander version of Vesperia's.

Then again, I don't really think I have much to say for the UI design in the series outside of Abyss (Really liked the journal/postcard theme it had going on).

I remember making an incredibly garish menu theme back on Symphonia, I was young and foolish!

You know there's nothing quite like a well done menu.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You guys had better get Danganronpa Vita! It's Ace Attorney on crack, and you'll come to love it. Seriously, it's so good. I kinda hope they sneak in some Ace Attorney/Persona references if they can into the localization, because that's what it is: Ace Attorney + social links + Zero Escape. Buy it.

Oh, cool, I want to try this game soon. I already own the DS version
both of them
but the Kanji looks much clearer in the Vita version. That'd be really helpful since my Japanese still kind of sucks.
Yeah, the better resolution really helps out here. I love it, and I loved it in other games like Ys Celceta and Time Travelers because the text became so much easier to read. Well, if you need help, you can always ask whenever you need it.

lol, what, you never noticed in every single bad future all his machines and badniks are in a horrible state of disrepair? For a genius with an IQ of 300, he's awful at engineering--it's just that Sonic always destroys his creations before they get a chance to malfunction.
I never noticed that at all, outside of how the level makeup looks a little cruddy! Haha. Man, you learn something new every day.

That menu UI looks kind of like a blander version of Vesperia's.

Then again, I don't really think I have much to say for the UI design in the series outside of Abyss (Really liked the journal/postcard theme it had going on).
Like I said in the Tales thread, I really wish they would do something like that again. The synopses were genuinely appreciated. Plus Innocence's UI just looks blah to me now because I played the Hearts R demo and saw that the UI was actually pretty in it.

It's only now that Tales UI has gotten much better, even with their creativity with the Abyss UI. Even Xillia's was okay to me. Xillia 2's was decent.

PKrockin

I remember making an incredibly garish menu theme back on Symphonia, I was young and foolish!

You know there's nothing quite like a well done menu.

Hah, me too. I played it a million times and I wanted a different menu every time, so each playthrough it got more and more horrible.

You guys had better get Danganronpa Vita! It's Ace Attorney on crack, and you'll come to love it. Seriously, it's so good. I kinda hope they sneak in some Ace Attorney/Persona references if they can into the localization, because that's what it is: Ace Attorney + social links + Zero Escape. Buy it.

Oh snap, Danganronpa is getting localized, huh? That's another VN to keep an eye on. I heard about it from Slowbeef of Retsupurae back when he wouldn't shut up about it. I'm looking forward to it.

We're getting a lot of good localization news, huh? Ironic, after what happened with Aksys.

Yeah, the better resolution really helps out here. I love it, and I loved it in other games like Ys Celceta and Time Travelers because the text became so much easier to read. Well, if you need help, you can always ask whenever you need it.

Definitely. I know a hell of a lot of Kanji but I'm pretty slow at reading actual material due to lack of practice.

Like I said in the Tales thread, I really wish they would do something like that again. The synopses were genuinely appreciated. Plus Innocence's UI just looks blah to me now because I played the Hearts R demo and saw that the UI was actually pretty in it.

Yeah, I liked the journal aesthetic of Abyss's UI. It fit with how the Synopsis was actually Luke's journal as mentioned in the story. Pretty neat. I wish they went a little lighter on the tan/brown though, that's pretty much the only color used in all the menus.

EDIT: Happy birthday, Blazey-Blaze/Sega1991! I ain't postin' the cake because Nocturnowl's birthday's in like three days and I think we're going to celebrate a ton of July birthdays anyway!

I'm like 30 now so I don't really get birthday presents anymore. And the couple times I have whined about that fact, I've felt super bad when a friend or two broke down and got me something on Steam.

That being said, this just showed up in my inbox:

tumblr_mpjerbzTJ31rr2g16o1_1280.png

So, yaaaaaaay. I also got $60 yesterday from a neighbor, but that wasn't a birthday present... she's paying me to water her garden while she's on vacation.

I also bought myself Sonic CD (supportin' Taxman) and Sonic 4 Episode 2 (wanna play that Classic Sonic mod) for like $5. And also gifted a friend Sonic Adventure 2 because it was $2.50 and he had it on his wishlist. :p

I've been playing Sonic CD and I've actually been really liking it thus far; more than I actually enjoyed of what I've played o 3 and Knuckles, but it's been a while since I've played it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Glad you got a prezzie, Blazey-Blaze.

I like Sonic CD quite a bit, as I've gone into in the past. I'd elaborate, but I just had a conversation where the end-result has me feeling kind of bummed out.

PKrockin

It's not my favorite Sonic game, but I'll certainly defend it since most people are actually calling it "terrible." I wish half the series was as fun as CD.

Nocturnowl, I hope you're happy. Thanks to your doohickey in CT a hole was torn into the space time continuum, and now Kokonoe ceases to exist.

WHAT A GREAT DAY FOR A FAIR

Also, Sonic CD is good, 'kay? 'Kay.

So Sonic Advance 1 was... good? I only played the first zone of the second game. Basically held right to win, like I've heard.

It's... sort of decent. It falls into the usual Dimps design nonsense pretty quickly, but it's not nearly as bad as Advance 2 or the mess Advance 3 was. The level design seems to accommodate Amy and her unique skillset more than anyone else.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So Sonic Advance 1 was... good? I only played the first zone of the second game. Basically held right to win, like I've heard.
SAdv1 is the best of the SAdv games because, as Seven Force said, it doesn't fall as quickly into Dimps level design tropes of making the levels endlessly descend + putting boosters everywhere + feeling generally weird as fast as SAdv2/3 did.

As for the Rush games, I feel like Rush Adventure was the best one out of the three in terms of its level design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom