• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching the Unleashed Project for Generations PC and other Generations PC modsj ust makes me sad to see all the wasted potential that SEGA threw out when they decided to switch gameplay styles for Lost World. :(

GAMERG0D

I still have to play Luigi's Mansion 2, but Bean's taking his time getting through his videos that I'm waiting until he's ready to start. So I have no idea whether or not it's good yet! We'll see when I play it.

I haven't played Animal Crossing yet. Fire Emblem was a decent game. I still think I like the SFC games far more, though. Just at least in terms of narrative since Seisen no Keifu had one of the most despicable villains in RPGs, ever.
You gotta! Both are charming games, I have over 120 hours in New Leaf.
crazy, I know...

I'm currently playing Final Fantasy
on iOS because my PSP screen is busted
and I'm going to play Mario & Luigi SS and Pokemon Red in anticipation of the new titles coming for all three series this year. FF X isn't exactly new, but it's going to be great.

You guys are too swept up in your Ni No Kuni hate to realise that Luigi's Mansion 2 is the sole 3DS game on that list in a year when Fire Emblem Awakening and Animal Crossing New Leaf came out.
I should mention I don't actually hate the game, i'm just indifferent to it.

I like those 3DS titles but I don't quite have the same overwhelming fuck yeah feeling that others seem to.

Fire Emblem comes the closest, it's sort of my GotY so far just because it's more Fire Emblem which is reliably enjoyable, but while this entry is fantastically robust I really don't like how they handled the difficulty curve and levelling, you've got all these various ways to keep leveling up, skills, class swapping and all of that so you can like grind and max stats, shit that's exactly what I don't want to be doing in a FE game. I'd like to say the grinding was optional but in hard mode it felt like the enemies would suddenly jump up in levels between chapters, units alone are too weak, units together are too strong. Basically Path of Radiance is still my jam, it may have far less content but its to the point and the plot is actually interesting as well.

I have a post somewhere in the LM2 OT with my thoughts on that, short version is that it's better than the first game but I might prefer the original anyway because the mission structure makes LM2 feel very stop and start. Glad they brought the idea back though, it was always worth revisiting and there's nothing much like it.

Animal Crossing is just more Animal Crossing, it's easily the best one but I played the shit out of the GC and DS entries for reasons I can't quite explain, especially the DS entry, all the fish, all the bugs, no debts left, full rooms of glorious co-ordinated furniture, there's basically nothing left for me in the series, I have already been to the top of the mountain and seen the sights. That said i'm still getting plenty of playtime out of it, it's the perfect game to have as a download title and it was free, cheers NoE!

Secret best game on the 3DS this year is Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, local multiplayer is easily the most fun i've had with video games this year, though having pumped hours into the standard MH3 I don't really think of it as GotY material since it's basically a super duper expansion pack.

Speaking of popular GOTY 2013 contenders, I recently beat Metal Gear Rising, and, ah, was kinda dissapointed. Like it doesn't really go that much further beyond the idea that was demonstarted in the demo. It's no Bayonetta or Vanquish. I think I enjoyed DmC more (has more variety)

Despite the 5 hour length it got tiring at certain spots :/ (maybe I'm playing it worng got mostly B ranks tough)
I finished my very hard run yesterday, I think there's some really noticeable flaws in the game yet it's fantastic fun which kind of overrides my smaller issues.
The game's pretty generous to people who aren't that great at action games like myself, it's a nice change for me to actually be able to make it through higher difficulties in this genre.

I don't even hate Raiden in the game, the fine folks in this thread should remember my feelings on cyborg Raiden back in Feb, I didn't believe that this game could possibly change my perception yet here we are.

sonic4highres.png
To the person who first pointed out that wibbly wobbly smile, I hate you.

Watching the Unleashed Project for Generations PC and other Generations PC modsj ust makes me sad to see all the wasted potential that SEGA threw out when they decided to switch gameplay styles for Lost World. :(

All what Sega is doing with the game currently seems abritary...I hope it impresses me more with further levels.

It's really weird, considering that their reason for altering gameplay styles for Lost World is so they could "give control back to the player". Not only does the control itself look rather finicky, but I don't see anything in Sonic's new move set that couldn't be done with Generations' style of level design.

Noi

Awakening is my first Fire Emblem so I'm not even going to pretend to be a good authority on it, but I think it's a much better game than Luigi's Mansion 2, and with how Animal Crossing has blown up on the internet I would think that would be on the list over Luigi too.

But then again I spent the majority of today playing a Neptunia game so what the fuck do I know about good games.

I by no means mean that Awakening is a bad game, of course, but while I'm glad that it lead to tons of new fans, I worry about the future of the series post-Awakening. As a result of it's development issues (which fall on Nintendo not viewing FE as a profitable enough series, but I'm not gonna touch on THAT particular can of worms), Awakening opted for an "everything and the kitchen approach were they included every idea they ever had for the series all at once. That's great on paper, but it lead to the game's balancing getting thrown completely out of whack, something that's usually super tight in the series. Not to mention that I have a hard time taking the game seriously when it tries to be super serious like previous entries, but also ups the comedic angle by 300%.

I had my fun with Awakening, but I get more of a feeling of it being an "anniversary" game as a result of all the spotpass cross-game stuff rather than a real numbered entry. I can't say I'd findthr future of the series being games just like Awakening to be very appealing (to me).

PKrockin

Fire Emblem comes the closest, it's sort of my GotY so far just because it's more Fire Emblem which is reliably enjoyable, but while this entry is fantastically robust I really don't like how they handled the difficulty curve and levelling, you've got all these various ways to keep leveling up, skills, class swapping and all of that so you can like grind and max stats, shit that's exactly what I don't want to be doing in a FE game. I'd like to say the grinding was optional but in hard mode it felt like the enemies would suddenly jump up in levels between chapters, units alone are too weak, units together are too strong. Basically Path of Radiance is still my jam, it may have far less content but its to the point and the plot is actually interesting as well.

This is my problem with Awakening as well. Despite having six difficulty setups available from the beginning, none of them are as balanced or well designed as FE7. Fire Emblem is better as a tightly controlled campaign with a set amount of resources, discouraging grinding, min-maxing or any of that garbage.

I still have to play Luigi's Mansion 2, but Bean's taking his time getting through his videos that I'm waiting until he's ready to start. So I have no idea whether or not it's good yet! We'll see when I play it.

I haven't played Animal Crossing yet. Fire Emblem was a decent game. I still think I like the SFC games far more, though. Just at least in terms of narrative since Seisen no Keifu had one of the most despicable villains in RPGs, ever.

There's no need to. It's a charming, quirky game but it's not fun. Ask people whether it's fun and they'll point to the number of hours they've put into it. The game is all about feeding addiction, like those Mobage games. Once you start, you've got to keep playing. Gotta water all those flowers today or my grass won't grow back. Gotta buy everything in the stores today so I can unlock more features. Gotta check turnip prices or I'll lose my investment. Gotta pluck those weeds. Gotta dig up those fossils. Gotta grind bells. Gotta grind medals.

The thing Nintendo missed is making any of these things fun. Your chores could not be more basic or uninvolving. That would be alright except it's also somewhat time-consuming due to sluggish menus, inventory constraints, inventory constraints and unnecessarily long dialogue dragging everything down and really making them feel like chores.

You might like it if you have way too much time on your hands and nothing to do, because it is a good time waster I guess. But if I have time to waste I'd rather spend it on real chores that actually benefit my life, or on games that are actually enjoyable.

Dear Twitch, why is this unofficial app better than yours? I can even chat on it!

Is this Android? If so, which app?

There's no need to. It's a charming, quirky game but it's not fun. Ask people whether it's fun and they'll point to the number of hours they've put into it. The game is all about feeding addiction, like those Mobage games. Once you start, you've got to keep playing. Gotta water all those flowers today or my grass won't grow back. Gotta buy everything in the stores today so I can unlock more features. Gotta check turnip prices or I'll lose my investment. Gotta pluck those weeds. Gotta dig up those fossils. Gotta grind bells. Gotta grind medals.

The thing Nintendo missed is making any of these things fun. Your chores could not be more basic or uninvolving. That would be alright except it's also somewhat time-consuming due to sluggish menus, inventory constraints, inventory constraints and unnecessarily long dialogue dragging everything down and really making them feel like chores.

You might like it if you have way too much time on your hands and nothing to do, because it is a good time waster I guess. But if I have time to waste I'd rather spend it on real chores that actually benefit my life, or on games that are actually enjoyable.

tumblr_mcz617rSy01r38j04o1_500.gif

Noi

Because if the Twitch site alone is so garbage, how can you expect their mobile apps to be any good?

God, I hope Ustream getting Sony money leads to having a worthwhile competitor.

PKrockin

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcz617rSy01r38j04o1_500.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

lol, I said inventory constraints twice. Bottom line is the game was made to be addicting and grindy rather than fun. I just get a nagging feeling that I'm completely wasting my time navigating 200 screens of dialogue and multiple inventory loads just to buy out the stores and immediately sell everything back so I can add items to my catalog and upgrade the stores. I don't get that replaying a chapter of Kid Icarus Uprising for hearts/weapons, because the core game is fun. I could just not buy out the store all the time but then I'll have access to far fewer items each day, and customizing my house with those items is the main appeal of the game.

[quote="PhantomOfTheKnight, post: 68791306"]Yea, it's called Stream Chat.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. My friend's been telling me about her problems with twitch.tv'... the chat won't load on Linux no matter what browser she uses, apparently. She'll love this.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I finished Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. Before the last few chapters, I was going to say that it was a pretty average game. I... probably still might say that it's an average game, but it has quite a few flaws which dragged the game down a whole lot for me. I've gone into why I don't think the platforming is as good as I thought it was going to be already. I don't particularly like the game's structure of being:
platform -> shoot a fuckton of dudes -> shoot another wave of dudes -> platform more -> shoot more dudes -> where the fuck are all these dudes coming from how much are they paying them -> solve a puzzle that doesn't need much thought -> platform -> lol, more dudes to shoot, etc​
Now, this design doesn't necessarily have to be bad if it weren't so monotonous. Almost every chapter consisted of the same structure, so much so that it felt like the chapters completely overstayed their welcome. Even if the chapters transitioned, I couldn't help but to feel that the game was a bit of slog at times. I'd talked to Bean about this the other night, but man, I flipping hate the jet ski sections. The first one wasn't so bad, but it's like... you have to take it easy and go slow, so it kinda screws with the breakneck pacing that the game's trying to dictate to you (I suppose these chapters were supposed to be a bit slower to give the player a reprieve, but I don't think it felt that way). It wasn't until I got to the Rapids chapter that I learned the blind shooting / running and gunning was the best way to get through it, but the rapid chapter was just... bad and kinda slow. I didn't like manoeuvring the jet ski at all, though shooting was fine. Noi tells me that ND stopped doing these segments in future games, so I'll be glad if that's the case.

There was one bit in the game that I really really liked, and it was when you were trying to solve a puzzle/find the right path to go with the Roman numerals. It kinda reminded me of the tomb stuff in AC2/Brotherhood, but the tomb challenges in Assassin's Creed are more like tests of platforming skill than its equivalent in Drake's Fortune. I was hoping that that chapter would have gone into that direction, but it didn't. Ah well.

Alright, now I should probably talk about the chapters where (Chapters 17 and onwards spoilers)
it became something out of a survival horror game. I like survival horror games from time to time, so nah, nothing really freaked me out. But man, some of these guys feel like sponges. I learned the hard way that you couldn't headshot them to death and that running and gunning with the MP-40 was the way to go. But fuck, waves after waves of these coming from who knows where. Sometimes this ain't good design, just because it ends up feeling monotonous after a while. I do wish they were introduced to the player earlier on in the game from a design perspective, to be honest, but we're talking about a game that places narrative above all, so it can't likely be done.

The part of the game where I felt it was straight-up nuts was the Church Courtyard shootout and the Church. Church Courtyard has wave after wave coming at you from higher ground where you can't see with sniper rifles, and it kinda gets repetitive fast. Oh man, the Church. Sometimes you can't tell where anyone is. The Church has so many enemies firing at you and Sully's no help sometimes. Luckily there are Dragon Snipers around for you to easily crack some heads, but those take time to look around and fire, so sometimes you're up against like 4-5 shooting at you at different intervals and still need to time a shot. Because I'm not going to run and gun with a dragon sniper. And the final boss is a QTE. Yay, I guess.

You know, going by how many times I hear, "Uncharted # is a great game, but it has these sections that take too long or the enemies feel like sponges or it falls apart towards the end," in different threads and from other people, I have to wonder if this is consistent with general Uncharted design. I have to wonder if The Last of Us has sections like that now.

Nathan Drake seems like a likeable guy, and I wish there was more of an opportunity to get to know him better as a dude who's not shooting dudes. I wanted to know more about him as a treasure hunter outside of brief snippets of Spanish translation and reminiscing about his ancestor. His dialogue's alright, and his natural charm is nice to watch. Basically, I'm wondering if he gets more depth as the series goes on. The same goes for Sully. I hear lots of good things about Sully, but I'm guessing you get to know him more in the other two games than this one since
he was MIA for half of it

I think my problem is that I went in anticipating an action/adventure sort of game. But I'd heard that UC1 ain't that great anyway, and that I shouldn't really push myself to finish it off if I didn't want to. And I came very close to doing that in Chapters 18/19 or so. So... I hope Uncharted 2 will be better. I didn't dislike Uncharted 1, but I felt like it was a slog that by the end, I was hoping that it would be over soon. It's just a very average game for me, and I wish some chapters were designed differently. And I wish that I'd played the role of a treasure hunter more often in terms of solving puzzles. Though to be fair, I think the first few chapters of the game just made it seem like the rest of the game was going to be like that in terms of exploration.

------

I've started Remember Me. It seems to have an interesting world, and I doubt the game's going to capitalize on that. But the combat's so easy, and I'm playing on the hardest mode here. There's so much jargon being thrown around here. I'm going to guess that it's going to be one of those games where it's just a few paces short of being decent. I kinda like the art direction so far, but Uncharted just tuckered me out, so I had to quit out before getting to a memory remix.

EDIT: You know. I really need to start playing games I actually might like for a change. Oh! OH! Minis on the Move is pretty decent. I like that one. I'm a sucker for puzzle games, though. :x

snippety-snip
To be fair, I haven't played a single Animal Crossing game since the GameCube one. I've been tossing it around in my head to give it a shot, but by the time I actually decide to jump in, people will have probably stopped the game. And I mean my friends who constantly play it and it's all they ever freaking talk about. Seriously, it's like half the time they're talking a completely different language and sometimes I feel left out as a result. It's the stupid peer pressure, I think. I say that because I generally have a habit of jokingly calling it "Chores: The Game" as well.

Man, from how you put it, though, if there's a set schedule for everything... you know what it kinda reminds me of? When I was an undergraduate, all of the time-based facebook games were all the rage. So we had people excusing themselves from tutorials/labs, or bringing their laptops to a differential calculus class that didn't require computers, or ducking out of class early to water their crops or whatever the heck they had to do in this facebook game.

We'll see. I'm not one to play simulation games at all, but I might give it a fair chance one day. Again, I'm just hoping that if/when I decide to pick it up, it won't be too late and everyone else will have moved on by then.

Yea, it's called Stream Chat.
Thank yoooooouuuuuu!

GAMERG0D

We'll see. I'm not one to play simulation games at all, but I might give it a fair chance one day. Again, I'm just hoping that if/when I decide to pick it up, it won't be too late and everyone else will have moved on by then.
New Leaf hasn't even been out for a month and we're already on OT3, the GAF community isn't going anywhere for that game for a good while. Also I believe that three people (including myself) in this thread have the game, so that's good too.

As for the 'chores' thing, while that's not entirely true, it starts to feel that way once you get a really good hang of the game.

Noi

I feel like you may like Golden Abyss as much as I did, Schala, despite it having it's own issues. But there's much more banter between characters, it has way more/better puzzles (some of which actually require a bit of exploration to solve), and even whole "dedicated" to walking through ruins without shooting a single dude.

PKrockin

Yeah, Schala, as far as I'm aware those issues do plague the other two PS3 Uncharted games as well.

To be fair, I haven't played a single Animal Crossing game since the GameCube one. I've been tossing it around in my head to give it a shot, but by the time I actually decide to jump in, people will have probably stopped the game. And I mean my friends who constantly play it and it's all they ever freaking talk about. Seriously, it's like half the time they're talking a completely different language and sometimes I feel left out as a result. It's the stupid peer pressure, I think. I say that because I generally have a habit of jokingly calling it "Chores: The Game" as well.

I was in the exact same position as you before I bought it some two weeks back.

• The last I played of the series was the Gamecube game a decade ago, mostly for the NES games
  • I mocked the series for being the video game equivalent of cleaning the house, including in this thread
  • Despite said mockery I decided to give it another shot after seeing how much people love it--maybe I was wrong
  • Nope I was right the first time

You people need to be in the chat more often. You keep missing Diabetus's video game streams!

(Although I missed half of his DKC one, too. :\)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Whoa what, Ryan Davis from Giant Bomb is dead!? He just got married last week...
I can't believe it. I keep shaking. I really couldn't believe it.

I just... he was so young. My heart goes out to everyone--his friends and family. He's been a constant in games journalism for me, so it kind of hurts.

I don't listen to much GB, but I know one of the greatest assets were their personalities. You never felt they were putting on a fake professional smile or anything, that this was really them. You watch and listen to them week after week, month after month, year after year, like friends you invite in your home. You feel like you know them, even if you never met them. To suddenly lose someone like that...devastating, absolutely devastating. Can't imagine how his wife feels.

Very sad to hear this.

I don't listen to GB, didn't know their assets was personalities, and have no idea who Ryan Davis really is, but hearing somebody a lot of people know has died is always disheartening. Especially when they only just married. To be widowed that fast? That's got to be hard on the wife.

BlackJace

The fact that I kept hearing how much joy he brought to GB's listeners really speaks about his character. I hope the rest of the crew can find the resolve to press on.

I don't listen to much GB, but I know one of the greatest assets were their personalities. You never felt they were putting on a fake professional smile or anything, that this was really them. You watch and listen to them week after week, month after month, year after year, like friends you invite in your home. You feel like you know them, even if you never met them. To suddenly lose someone like that...devastating, absolutely devastating. Can't imagine how his wife feels.

Very sad to hear this.

Yeah, pretty much my thoughts exactly. Completely devastating.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

Very sad to hear this.
Pretty much. It's really upsetting to know that it happened after his wedding. Putting myself in his other half's shoes, I can't even imagine how she feels. I mean, looking at their wedding photos, looking at some of the gifs of Ryan gettin' loose and dancing, and just being all around happy on that day; it was one of the happiest moments of their entire lives.

I genuinely feel awful for the GB crew, too. They're all buddies and seem like very good friends. Especially him and Jeff. I can't even freaking imagine how they must be feeling because they've been working together for years.

Ryan Davis has been a constant in games journalism for me. Ever since GB started up, I started to get to know his personality, his personal quirks, his personal tastes, and how out-there he can be with his opinions. We may not always agree on everything, but I appreciate how passionate Ryan Davis could be whenever he talked about, well, anything. Including buying things at Best Buy, or going uh uh uh uh uh in an attempt to mimic Assassin's Creed. Despite being completely hard-headed and somewhat aggressive at times, he was genuinely funny and light-hearted when he wanted to be. That one stream with Rorie, him, and Jeff is one that I'll hold dear in my heart. Them drinking and shooting the shit and going nuts is one of my favourite stream archives to watch whenever I'm getting stressed. Or their classic games streams when Ryan's reminiscing about the past and playing crap like Friday the 13th. Like you said, I feel like I knew a fraction of the guy, even if it's the personality he put in front of the microphone and screen at the time.

Ryan Davis would've cracked a joke about him being the third trending topic in the world right now. He would've loved it and relished in it. Probably would've donned the Kinect poncho and had a grand ol' time.

And now I'm crying. Laughing too, thinking of that. But crying.

Everybody who just went to that man's wedding is going to his funeral, in less than a month. Crazy.

--

In times like this, you have to focus on things that make you happy. Time to start that Jak 2 run!

I would watch random quick looks now and again on giantbomb and they were always good, while I walk home from work lately I been listening to a backlog of podcasts too, I can still hear Ryan talking about pso2 in my head.

Such a shame, he is only a few years older then me and he just got married, makes me feel really sad.

TheOGB

Banned
What the fuuuuuuuuuuck

I was just watching some old GB stuff yesterday, what the hell.

Damn... my heart goes out to his family and friends.

ahhh god, that's so fucking sad, I haven't even seen a lot of GB content but I can't stop crying ;~;

Made it to the date event in FF7. Schala came into my room and she forgot what she was gonna say, so instead she suggests going out on a date.

I'm gonna mess up this play we're in so hard.

Also I've never watched the Giant Bomb stuff, but my heart goes out to Mr. Davis.

Shut man, not really a Giant Bomb regular but I know the guys, I can't believe it.

It must be awful to have to bury your husband the week after you marry him.

Never watched Giant Bomb stuff, but damn, that is terrible. And if I understand it correctly, this was during his honeymoon of all things? Just wow.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, that's what hurt the most for me, too. So fucking soon after his wedding, and it's just so shocking. Especially when you take into account that he was 34-years-old. That is way too young. You know what? He's probably laughing it up in the afterlife with a giant sombrero, playing Saints Row 3, drinking something good, all while thinking of the next AC game to be all like uh uh uh uh uh.

That's what I'm gonna remember. Ryan Davis always trying to be the life of the party and cracking jokes. I'm gonna miss his presence a lot. But I'm gonna fondly remember the times when he made me laugh incredibly hard.

In times like this, you have to focus on things that make you happy. Time to start that Jak 2 run!
No Jak 2 run. Playing Remember Me instead.

Watching Dragonball Evolution Quick Look. Because who the fuck is this? That's not Goku!

Made it to the date event in FF7. Schala came into my room and she forgot what she was gonna say, so instead she suggests going out on a date.

I'm gonna mess up this play we're in so hard.
Why are you messing the play up for the both of us? Ruining our date. >:|

qq more

sooooo much CD hate

get in there and defend it, Owl

Don't even bother arguing with Winterfang. He's a waste of time and only gives you headaches (and sometimes something to laugh at). He thinks Pokemon GSC is a terrible game and that the protag is Justin Bieber

oh and you apparently don't ride Bicycles in that game, just Skateboards

yeah

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Let's try not to talk bad about other site members in this thread. I'm not in the mood for it at all, and it's mean and exclusionary, regardless of everyone's opinion of said user(s).

It's actually a bit of a put-off, to be honest. :/

I feel like you may like Golden Abyss as much as I did, Schala, despite it having it's own issues. But there's much more banter between characters, it has way more/better puzzles (some of which actually require a bit of exploration to solve), and even whole "dedicated" to walking through ruins without shooting a single dude.
I actually do have a copy of Golden Abyss somewhere around here, but if it's more focused on puzzles and stuff, that's fine with me. I just hope that the touchscreen/backtouch controls are decent.

I was in the exact same position as you before I bought it some two weeks back.
Hm. I was thinking of waiting for a sale or something, but I don't think that's gonna happen for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom