• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

Dario's white world mod for Generations is pretty damn awesome, and even makes sense within the narrative that Sega drew up, but you can quickly see why they couldn't do it: you can't see incoming hazards--at all--and if they left the hazards colored while keeping everything else white, it'd be an aesthetic mess.

Definitely nice to have as an option, though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Dario's white world mod for Generations is pretty damn awesome, and even makes sense within the narrative that Sega drew up, but you can quickly see why they couldn't do it: you can't see incoming hazards--at all--and if they left the hazards colored while keeping everything else white, it'd be an aesthetic mess.

Definitely nice to have as an option, though.
That's honestly what I thought Generations was going to be. When they said "Sonic will restore colour to the world", I said, so we'll be painting the stages when Sonic runs through them, then? It'd be an extra incentive to run through the stages more than once to get through all of the paths.

But you're right; I didn't even think of the hazards and not being able to see them. Unless they coloured the hazards black or something. Ah well.

TheOGB

Banned
I honestly enjoyed all the gens and their reigons pretty well, but man, if it wasn't for Platinum Gen IV would have been lame as fuck

Village

Oh its boring? I skipped both B/Ws, so this is news to me.

Really? I liked it. The B/W male protag looked lame to me.

Wat? The black and white dude looked awesome , he was dressed relatively normal and well for that matter. Not like hat hair two pants magoo over there. I think the B/W 2 protagonist gets too much crap , he was dressed aside from his tai hair pretty normal for a surfer dude or someone who should live in a more tropical climate. If that guy was the protagonist for gen 3 i would be down.

B/W honestly feels like just a refined Gen IV with the battle system with an inferior region. The towns weren't so interesting, even the big city was a disappointment!

City was dope to me.

Some the best gym leaders in a long while too.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'd much rather play Dream Team than this filth.

tlFE6cg.png

I had my stream equipment still set up from yesterday, so this is the only way I can play the stupid thing (because the way elgato works, you have to keep it hooked up to the computer so that the input will go through to the TV--and it works with the PS3 component cables rather than the HDMI cord, so I don't like going through the hassle of continuing to fix the display conditions).

qq more saw my Sonic 06 save yesterday and he was all "Schala, Schala, play Sonic 06!"

Owl I really want to play Dream Team send me your 3DS/Dream Team cart

I'm afraid you'll have to wait, your hype will build and build in the few weeks left and it'll make your eventual acquisition of the game all the sweeter, but then about a week or so later you'll drag yourself into the OT and begrudgingly start typing up your impressions with the post title of "Nocturnowl was right".

Was my thesis statement will be either:

-"Nocturnowl was right, that handsome blimey devil..."

or

-"Screw Nocturnowl, the bastard, this game is awesome!"

PKrockin

I'd much rather play Dream Team than this filth.

tlFE6cg.png

I had my stream equipment still set up from yesterday, so this is the only way I can play the stupid thing (because the way elgato works, you have to keep it hooked up to the computer so that the input will go through to the TV--and it works with the PS3 component cables rather than the HDMI cord, so I don't like going through the hassle of continuing to fix the display conditions).

qq more saw my Sonic 06 save yesterday and he was all "Schala, Schala, play Sonic 06!"

The concept for the battle system in this game seems like it could be like Punch-Out, where you watch your opponent for tells and react with a well timed sidestep/block/counter/position change. But it looks like you can kind of just mash X and win.

I think I've liked Guacmelee, Metal Gear Rising, and Bioshock Infinite more than Owl, so chances are pretty good this trend will continue. Either I'm too easy or Owl is secretly Dark Schala

Spinluck

I like Project M, but I think it's dumb that they just made Fox and Falco clones again.

Mario's a monster though, and I love-hate what they did to Sonic.

Was my thesis statement will be either:

-"Nocturnowl was right, that handsome blimey devil..."

or

-"Screw Nocturnowl, the bastard, this game is awesome!"
I eagerly anticipate either my praising or shaming.

Whoa, now.

What's up with Dream Team? You can tell me...

I'll give you the short version (loooong version is in the thread, probably best left for viewing when you've actually played it yourself).
It's a good game surrounded by a bunch of issues. The most prominent being the series hand holding/tutorial heavy nature being taken to the nth degree, the game really doesn't trust the player to figure things out for themselves.
I'd also say the game felt bloated and poorly paced, it's a lot longer than previous M&L games but I didn't think there was any good reason for this outside of length for the sake of length, it just makes each new area become gradually exhausting and you'll be butting heads with the same enemies far too often.
Some enemy moves just go on too long, in particular the ones that have the bros being chased. Ah but i'll stop being mister hype killer, there's plenty of people who think the game is fine, I remember you liking Bowser's Inside Story a lot, it feels like a successor to that entry so you'll likely enjoy it a lot more than I did.

daily reminder that Nocturnowl unironically enjoys professional wrestling and thus his tastes can not be fully trusted
Yeah well you genuinely enjoyed watching the gameplay of WWE13 matches on a regular basis.
0zd0W6q.gif

I think I've liked Guacmelee, Metal Gear Rising, and Bioshock Infinite more than Owl, so chances are pretty good this trend will continue. Either I'm too easy or Owl is secretly Dark Schala
Well you certainly have enjoyed all of those more than me, I think i'm set to be playing the Last of Us some point soon and then that one can no doubt join your list, maybe you have grown weak, yeah that must be it, it's definitely not me being a miserable bastard, yup!

One day me and Schala will start playing a game at the same time and start trying to one up each others flaw hunting, it'll be an encounter for the ages.

Yeah well you genuinely enjoyed watching the gameplay of WWE13 matches on a regular basis.
0zd0W6q.gif

inWoBXCcIX95c.gif

Also, Owl you just need to get in touch with your inner gamer. And I'll tell you this, TLOU was the one game of the year that turned off my inner game critic. At first I was all "auto-run section, lulz", "easiest puzzle ever, whatever", "infinite ammo set piece in survival game, lulz ND", "NPCs making loud ass noises and guards can't hear, lol video game AI". And yet by the second half of the game, it was doing so much right that the flaws just kinda ceased to matter. It was a nice feeling.

PKrockin

The best thing I can say about wrestling is I did enjoy watching Spoony emotionally break down over how bad an episode of TNA was once.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The concept for the battle system in this game seems like it could be like Punch-Out, where you watch your opponent for tells and react with a well timed sidestep/block/counter/position change. But it looks like you can kind of just mash X and win.
That's pretty much it, eh? They have some interesting tools for the battle system, but either way, you can just mash O and win. It's like "O O O, special" half the time. It really doesn't help, either, that some enemies don't attack when they're far from you, or that the palette swaps just seem to use the same attack pattern as the previous palette swap.

I now have access to some elemental attacks, so I assume the game's going to become more of a cakewalk.

I'll give you the short version (loooong version is in the thread, probably best left for viewing when you've actually played it yourself).
It's a good game surrounded by a bunch of issues. The most prominent being the series hand holding/tutorial heavy nature being taken to the nth degree, the game really doesn't trust the player to figure things out for themselves.
I'd also say the game felt bloated and poorly paced, it's a lot longer than previous M&L games but I didn't think there was any good reason for this outside of length for the sake of length, it just makes each new area become gradually exhausting and you'll be butting heads with the same enemies far too often.
Some enemy moves just go on too long, in particular the ones that have the bros being chased. Ah but i'll stop being mister hype killer, there's plenty of people who think the game is fine, I remember you liking Bowser's Inside Story a lot, it feels like a successor to that entry so you'll likely enjoy it a lot more than I did.
Nope, most of your criticisms sound fair, as I usually like to criticize games for wasting my time as a player with unnecessary animations or bloat. Though the hand-holding is something that has me feeling iffy. I wonder how that's going to go.

Who knows, I might like it. I've been anticipating it for a while, but I'm glad I'm going in with tempered expectations. So thank you.

One day me and Schala will start playing a game at the same time and start trying to one up each others flaw hunting, it'll be an encounter for the ages.
I eagerly await the day.

Maybe it'll be Sonic Lost World. Though I think you guys get it before we do in NA.

...speaking of which, although it's too early to discuss it, who's doing the OT for that game? Coldman's out of the running cuz he did Sonic Adventure 2's OT.

Noi

Nope, most of your criticisms sound fair, as I usually like to criticize games for wasting my time as a player with unnecessary animations or bloat. Though the hand-holding is something that has me feeling iffy. I wonder how that's going to go.

You love Skyward Sword, so you're probably gonna love Dream Team as well. ◔ヮ◔

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
We should draw straws.

I'll help with the formatting and writing for whomever is doing the thread. I can't do images worth a shit.

I'd love to do the thread itself, but I'm just bad, bad, bad at images.

You love Skyward Sword, so you're probably gonna love Dream Team as well. ◔ヮ◔
Yoooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuu... can shut your faaaaaaaaceeeeee... :p

I'm bad at images too, I just got OMG Aero to fix up my banner. You only need a banner.

Look guys, the SA2 OT was my defining moment as a NeoGAF webizen, and, like all aging rockstars, I must eventually return to the well.

also I wanna make a bunch of jokes about t-rexs in San Diego

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Can't I give you a cameo portion like I did for my Phantasy Star thread, if it's the case that I do it?

Pffffffffft. Now I'm curious about the T-Rexes bit that Coldman may post. Hmmm.

Clearly the OT should be a clusterfuck collaboration between Sonic Gaf members.

Also, Owl you just need to get in touch with your inner gamer. And I'll tell you this, TLOU was the one game of the year that turned off my inner game critic. At first I was all "auto-run section, lulz", "easiest puzzle ever, whatever", "infinite ammo set piece in survival game, lulz ND", "NPCs making loud ass noises and guards can't hear, lol video game AI". And yet by the second half of the game, it was doing so much right that the flaws just kinda ceased to matter. It was a nice feeling.
Reaching that state of inner gamer is easier said than done, sometimes the game has to really connect with you on a personal level for that to work and as it stands right now the general theme of the game doesn't do much for me.
Every now and then I envy one of my friends ability to seemingly enjoy any notable big game and be oblivious to any flaws, but then I also remember that MGS4 may be his favourite game of the generation.

I will happily devour large amounts of Crow if Naughty Dog of all developers can overcome my ultimate nit picking 2013 edition as that's like the perfect storybook ending but we shall see.
You'll know i'm in trouble if I end up doing this with Tropical Freeze, that's the sign that i've truly lost all connection to my inner gamer.

The best thing I can say about wrestling is I did enjoy watching Spoony emotionally break down over how bad an episode of TNA was once.
I'd say you could see that every week in Wrasslegaf but that would imply people are invested enough in TNA to break down over its awfulness.

Who knows, I might like it. I've been anticipating it for a while, but I'm glad I'm going in with tempered expectations. So thank you.
It feels odd to be thanked for potentially sabotaging hype.

I eagerly await the day.

Maybe it'll be Sonic Lost World. Though I think you guys get it before we do in NA.

Hilariously enough we basically have been doing this with the trailers so far, as of right now I think you're winning.

Village

Clearly the OT should be a clusterfuck collaboration between Sonic Gaf members.

Reaching that state of inner gamer is easier said than done, sometimes the game has to really connect with you on a personal level for that to work and as it stands right now the general theme of the game doesn't do much for me.
Every now and then I envy one of my friends ability to seemingly enjoy any notable big game and be oblivious to any flaws, but then I also remember that MGS4 may be his favourite game of the generation.

I will happily devour large amounts of Crow if Naughty Dog of all developers can overcome my ultimate nit picking 2013 edition as that's like the perfect storybook ending but we shall see.
You'll know i'm in trouble if I end up doing this with Tropical Freeze, that's the sign that i've truly lost all connection to my inner gamer.

I'd say you could see that every week in Wrasslegaf but that would imply people are invested enough in TNA to break down over its awfulness.

It feels odd to be thanked for potentially sabotaging hype.

Hilariously enough we basically have been doing this with the trailers so far, as of right now I think you're winning.

TNA is still a thing? wow ok .

Watching a friend play X Zone he borrowed from cookie girl

"why the fuck am I fightin' a small nation in every chapter!?"

This is the game ya'll wanted huh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom