• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
watched 20 minutes of that stream...dat dialog...dat character blocking...dat music...

thisishorrible.jpg

The 3D rendered backgrounds are a bit disappointing, and the cutscenes drag a tad too long for my liking, but otherwise yeah, it actually looks pretty nice as far as the actual game itself goes. Kind of a stark contrast to Strider, really.

Of course, some people are already convinced it's going to be terrible, but opinions and all that.

Looks far better than that Castle of Illusion remake, in any case.

The more Wayforward talks about Ducktales Remastered, the less it sounds like the type of game I wanted.

I have no proof to substantiate this, but somebody told me they heard the game got focus-tested to hell and the kids they tested with had a real hard time understanding the original game. One of the developer diaries definitely sounds like they've streamlined and linearized it.

Which... I mean, that's almost like streamlining and linearizing Super Metroid.

I've pretty much stopped talking about XIII and specifically LR. I've probably hated enough on it so it's far more relaxing not to even bother with it

The more Wayforward talks about Ducktales Remastered, the less it sounds like the type of game I wanted.

I have no proof to substantiate this, but somebody told me they heard the game got focus-tested to hell and the kids they tested with had a real hard time understanding the original game. One of the developer diaries definitely sounds like they've streamlined and linearized it.

Which... I mean, that's almost like streamlining and linearizing Super Metroid.

I saw you say this elsewhere, but watching the playthrough of Transylvania at E3, they didn't break the game up into segments or anything, it still had the Metroid structure to it. What they did, to my understanding, was give players a reason to visit all the areas of a stage (beyond just money/high score, which isn't enough of an incentive for many people these days). It's basically forcing people to work through the whole level, instead of just taking shortcuts and missing big parts of them.

They whole thing in the documentary about breaking it up into three areas I believe was meant artistically, as in "We've designed the look of each level", not that they made them into linear chunks. I think the game also does fading transitions between certain sections, like the mine cart tracks and the castle proper, but I don't think they cut it up into nothing but straight lines.

Noi

That actually does a good job of showing why Meta Knight is so OP, since those recoveries are much more likely to be done by people than Snake blowing himself back up.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I finished streaming Time and Eternity for some of you fine folks.

Hope you enjoyed it! :)

Sorry to almost triple post, but wow... really nifty mod for Generations:

Dynamic White World effect in stages

They really should've found a way to fit this into the game, even if it was just for a special segment, the last boss fight, something.
This is exactly what I'd envisioned Sonic Generations to be like. Exactly.

Man, that mod looks sweet.

PKrockin

PM'd.

I don't really like advertising my twitch channel much, haha. I'm shy.

Well now you all have got me curious to see what a trainwreck of a game it is. I heard a long time ago it was supposed to be a masterpiece that would save JRPGs.

edit: one minute in... kill me.

PKrockin

Ugh... so the plot of the game is to go back in time and save the male lead from getting killed on the day of the wedding.

Well I might be a little motivated if he wasn't a completely unlikeable douche.

PKrockin

He's also a big pervert :V

Well, yeah, that's the thing. So far he's just a brainless horndog. Typical shit anime protagonist. Great. Why does she even want to marry this guy? Why should I care if he dies?

If she can freely time travel why doesn't she just go back a day and get a couple royal guards to attend the wedding and deal with the six assassins?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I swear that you guys were paying more attention to the story than I was. Even qq more knows the names of more of the characters than I do.

I zoned out half the time until we got to the part where the conversations started looping. Even the conversations are palette swa--*shot*.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I didn't even realize that there was in-battle dialogue until you guys mentioned it.

"Deep and intricate battle system". Noi was asking me yesterday whether I liked not being able to cancel an attack into a dodge or block or not.
KuGsj.gif

I liked how they seemed to have given me a large battle arena, but I was only able to move on a line towards the enemy. That flip kick animation takes way too much time. And I liked how all of the palette swaps had the same attack pattern. That was neat. I heard even the spells were palette swaps of each other.

qq more

We should keep count on how many tea parties there are in the game until you beat it. It's like those people that counted the load times for that Sonic 06 LP! Tea parties are the new load times!

4 so far... an hour in already.

I saw you say this elsewhere, but watching the playthrough of Transylvania at E3, they didn't break the game up into segments or anything, it still had the Metroid structure to it. What they did, to my understanding, was give players a reason to visit all the areas of a stage (beyond just money/high score, which isn't enough of an incentive for many people these days). It's basically forcing people to work through the whole level, instead of just taking shortcuts and missing big parts of them.

They whole thing in the documentary about breaking it up into three areas I believe was meant artistically, as in "We've designed the look of each level", not that they made them into linear chunks. I think the game also does fading transitions between certain sections, like the mine cart tracks and the castle proper, but I don't think they cut it up into nothing but straight lines.

That's a relief.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Digging Bunnie's new look, though I had gotten used to her full mobian form long ago.
Bunnie's new look is nice. I kinda like it. But that's just on the cover. Wonder how it's gonna flow in the comic proper.

I've missed these kinds of covers too. I liked when the Knuckles comics did it.

We should keep count on how many tea parties there are in the game until you beat it. It's like those people that counted the load times for that Sonic 06 LP! Tea parties are the new load times!

4 so far... an hour in already.
Wait, you guys legitimately want me to stream the whole thing? Haha. I was thinking of keeping a save for a legitimate playthrough (that was the first save you saw until I decided to start the other playthrough), so I'll probably keep count.

Palette swapped spells? That's almost impressive in how lazy it is.
Gotta save JRPGs somehow on a budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom