• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Watching a friend play X Zone he borrowed from cookie girl

"why the fuck am I fightin' a small nation in every chapter!?"

This is the game ya'll wanted huh
And it's the same thing ad nauseam until the end of the game. :)

8 Tea Parties, billions of Ricardos and counting.

fuck this game :lol
Post your impressions in the OT. The conversations like... make my brain melt.

Like. Everyone's so fucking vapid, it hurts.

If we're still on the LW thread, I could do images if one of you wanted.
Yep; I'll see what Coldman wants to do tomorrow.

TheOGB

Banned
Images for Lost World OT? Got it

rVNztvM.png

Bam

The Bill Clinton thing is a reference to what the developers perceived as Clinton's can-do attitude when running for president.

It's an interesting mix to be sure

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
In 1991, Clinton announced his candidacy for President, yes. But that was in October. Even then, he would've still had the worldwide attention.

Even if he wasn't running for president, and he was still a governor, they still would have paid attention to him. Some of us actually do watch those Republican/Democrat conferences or whatever else you guys have got going on in politics. You'd be surprised with how much the rest of the world pays attention to American politics. Because whatever you guys do will affect the rest of us one way or another (ex: economics, environment, etc.).

I thought the Bill Clinton/Michael Jackson/Santa thing was common knowledge. Or at least I saw that in a documentary a looong time ago and that knowledge just stuck with me.

Coldman, let me know what you want to do for the OT so we can claim it. :V

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Shadow Hog. I'm like 22 days younger than you. This shouldn't be possible. (I kid.) :p

This is what happens when your mother leaves CNN on in the living room like 24/7.

OH. Time and Eternity DLC is up.
- Peppers (5-pack) Item Pack (Free)
- A Touch of Love Item Pack (0.99)
- A Hint of Swimwear Bonus Quest ($2.99)
- A Hint of Fishing Bonus Quest ($2.99)

Safe to say, we are not buying any of that DLC for the stream. I wrote some impressions here for the Whatcha Been Playin' thread, which essentially boil down to me expressing my disbelief for everything. I also namedropped JC for a Remember Me snip, and brought up a mystery game that I've been playing lately.

New Sonic episode of Did You Know Gaming is out.

Sonic's personality was inspired by
Bill Clinton
? What?

Yep. Michael Jackson's boots, Santa Claus's color scheme, and Bill Clinton's "no-nonsense, get-it-done attitude".

The info comes from a Gametap documentary they put out years ago when Gametap was still relevant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D9h-4vQUHM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkhjBAYL2Hs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mFs2v7XM4o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbu4TEE1_pE

Some pretty interesting info about the creation of Sonic in those first two episodes. You can really tell they were aiming for Sonic to be a big deal in America first and foremost.

Of course, Sega of Japan had to go and fuck a lot of that up, because that's what Sega of Japan should primarily be known for these days.

GAMERG0D

Shadow Hog. I'm like 22 days younger than you. This shouldn't be possible. (I kid.) :p

This is what happens when your mother leaves CNN on in the living room like 24/7.

OH. Time and Eternity DLC is up.
- Peppers (5-pack) Item Pack (Free)
- A Touch of Love Item Pack (0.99)
- A Hint of Swimwear Bonus Quest ($2.99)
- A Hint of Fishing Bonus Quest ($2.99)

Safe to say, we are not buying any of that DLC for the stream. I wrote some impressions here for the Whatcha Been Playin' thread, which essentially boil down to me expressing my disbelief for everything. I also namedropped JC for a Remember Me snip, and brought up a mystery game that I've been playing lately.
Wait what stream?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The late-night streams (well, late night for me!) where I randomly play Time and Eternity for like two hours and don't talk over it since I wouldn't be in a position to.

Eff it. Here're the archives.

I don't like advertising my twitch channel much cuz I'm shy.

qq more

is there going to be another stream tonight? It looked like the game is finally advancing on the dumb plot after all of that "RICARDO! RICARDO! TEA PARTY! RICARDO! RICARDO! TEA PARTY!"

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
...You guys are more interested in this game than I am. It's kinda scary. :V

We'll see. Chance of thunderstorms here. I'll see when we get the latest forecast because when I went outside just now it was super-windy.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, if you need help with Graces, I platinumed the game twice. Ask me anything.

Same goes for Xillia. I platinumed that game twice. Ask me anything about that, too. I like the game, but it does so much wrong that it's hard to overlook its flaws.

I'll probably bail out for a bit when it gets too creepy.

But yeah, the game honestly became so bad that I have to see it to the end. It's like Sonic 06, but only more painful.
No you won't. You'll keep watching. And I'm the one suffering. You're just watching me suffer in silence.

Spinluck

Well, if you need help with Graces, I platinumed the game twice. Ask me anything.

Same goes for Xillia. I platinumed that game twice. Ask me anything about that, too. I like the game, but it does so much wrong that it's hard to overlook its flaws.

This may sound dumb. But when I bought Graces the day it came out on PS3, it was meant for me and my friends (and siblings) to play it together since they loved the series- it's sort of like past time for me and them since Symphonia.

At the time we were able to hang out a lot often, but I moved pretty far (plus school and work), and we rarely all get together now. Since then I've put it down completely, I'll probably finish it alone, I have no problem doing that, but that's what made stop playing it I believe.

Wow, what problems did you have with Xillia? Do you prefer Graces?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This may sound dumb. But when I bought Graces the day it came out on PS3, it was meant for me and my friends (and siblings) to play it together since they loved the series- it's sort of like past time for me and them since Symphonia.

At the time we were able to hang out a lot often, but I moved pretty far (plus school and work), and we rarely all get together now. Since then I've put it down completely, I'll probably finish it alone, I have no problem doing that, but that's what made stop playing it I believe.

Wow, what problems did you have with Xillia? Do you prefer Graces?
That's not dumb. Aha, that's part of getting older, I guess. It's why I hope the next mainline Tales has online MP or something, so I can actually play it with a few J-GAF people when we import next time.

My favourite games in the series are Graces/Destiny R/Rebirth. Rebirth has the worst story in the series, but it's still one of my favourites to play. Destiny R is what all the games should aspire to be should they continue on a 2D route, and Graces is the best 3D battle system in the series to me (and it's an excellent attempt at trying to make all of the systems cohesive and work together nicely).

As for Xillia, I've written a lot about how the game just dissatisfied me in the end in many a Tales thread. That isn't to say it's a bad game, because plenty of people enjoyed it, and if I hated it, I wouldn't have played through the game four times. Here are a few posts:
http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43179295&postcount=1400 (detailing why I thought the game has design problems after my second plat run)
This post where I compared Graces and Xillia

Additionally:
  • The boss design in the Tales game has been pretty bad since Tales of Hearts, and it continues here. It actively encourages the player to free run instead of dodge. Bosses like to break out of combos after 10-12-20 hits, and they like to OVL/hi-ougi for no reason.
  • Every character is broken to a degree, and the systems are easily exploitable enough if an enemy has an elemental strength and continues to use it so that you null out the damage. Essentially, the game has poor balancing that's too much in favour of the player.
  • The environments are terrrribleeeeeeeeeee. Giant empty fields filled with nothing.
  • This doesn't feel like a 15th anniversary game at all. Graces f, by contrast, actually felt like one. This strips a lot of the side content that you're used to seeing in a Tales game outside of the Fell Arms quest. Xillia 2 rectifies this by a lot, but it's just a shame that we don't see that in the game that they spent the time developing for the 15th anniversary.
  • One of the characters drove me nuts. Outside of that, I thought the cast was fairly decent.
  • The EX Dungeon is freaking terrible and I hate it. Map retreads all day everyday. And you have to do the stupid thing three times to completely finish it off.
  • Arena battles are just meaningless now.
  • Shop levelling system just kind of diminishes the significance of entering a new town.
  • No cooking; you buy food from restaurants now.
  • The levelling system is like the Crystarium. It gives you the illusion of choice, when really, it doesn't seem to matter much because you're going to get all the skills for the characters anyway.
  • The game and its plot are not unfinished, but you can't help but to feel the game, or at least the final act of the game, was cut short, possibly due to time constraints. It's a shame because they had an interesting world building up there.
  • The sidequests are basically MMO-like fetch quests and they don't feel as significant as previous Tales game quests.

There's a bunch of other stuff that I can't remember off the top of my head, but those are the most significant. EDIT: I should add that I thought Xillia was fun to play. It's just flawed.

Xillia 2 gave everything a speed nerf which I enjoyed a lot. But I don't like the pacing and design of that game very much, as I wrote here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44456832&postcount=800
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44518930&postcount=815

Xillia 2 is still the better game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
*turns on Wii-U for first time in six months, blinking blue light of death*

this fuckin' console
Wait a minute. This is a thing?! I didn't know that!

Boy am I glad I didn't buy a launch unit. >.>

"HAY ARE YOU AN ASSASSIN? ARE YOU GUYS GONNA KILL ME?"

brilliant plan toki
Anime game.

Did you like the part where I realized that magic spells were completely OP and can one-shot enemies? That was my first time using it and I was completely shocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom