• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKrockin

Can't wait to grab million of rings in New Sonic The Hedgehog 2! (That actually sounds fun)

I've probably grabbed a million rings just between Unleashed and Colors. Those games were ridiculously generous.

You mean tries to emulate the classics, but has various quirks with the physics and remarkably phoned-in graphics that hold it back?

I think we had that already. It was called Sonic 4.

Well, at least NSMB is fun.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ace Attorney 5 is out in Japan and the cover looks sooo cooooool.

NSMB's great though... Well, except for the DS game, it was okay.
I said it before and I'll say it again: Bean's gonna have to tie me to a chair and make me watch him play that game to make me experience that game again. And possibly like it more than I do. Going back to it is difficult for me. NSMBW is the game that NSMB DS should've been, really.

And I want to say that it's probably because whenever I think of the Mario series on NES, I think of SMB3 as opposed to SMB1 which NSMB takes after and tries to improve on. While SM3DL takes after SMB3, I surprisingly felt lukewarm to that as well.

I've said this in the past, though: I've generally liked Sonic more than Mario growing up.

qq more

valve

pls

valve

stop

Ace Attorney 5 is out in Japan and the cover looks sooo cooooool.

I said it before and I'll say it again: Bean's gonna have to tie me to a chair and make me watch him play that game to make me experience that game again. And possibly like it more than I do. Going back to it is difficult for me. NSMBW is the game that NSMB DS should've been, really.

And I want to say that it's probably because whenever I think of the Mario series on NES, I think of SMB3 as opposed to SMB1 which NSMB takes after and tries to improve on.

fuckkkk when is the release date here?!

also I tried getting back to NSMB1 after 100%ing NSMB2... big mistake

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
fuckkkk when is the release date here?!

also I tried getting back to NSMB1 after 100%ing NSMB2... big mistake
I should add that some people broke street date (July 25th), so some people have it earlyyyy... like RyougaSaotome. So jealous.

We don't have a release date for the NA/EU version yet.

NSMB1 just feels weird to go back to after NSMB2, doesn't it? Not to mention that NSMB2's level design just feels better in some respects. Mario feels better to control, too, in some ways.

PKrockin

And I want to say that it's probably because whenever I think of the Mario series on NES, I think of SMB3 as opposed to SMB1 which NSMB takes after and tries to improve on. While SM3DL takes after SMB3, I surprisingly felt lukewarm to that as well.

I've said this in the past, though: I've generally liked Sonic more than Mario growing up.

I agree with everything here, except I always liked Mario more than Sonic. My major problem with NSMB from the moment I read about it in Nintendo Power is that it's a successor to the inferior SMB1. Without vertically scrolling levels, flight, more complex level design and such it felt like a big step backwards from SMB3, which was and still is my favorite game of all time. To me the game kind of lacked identity outside of the Mega Mushroom and pandering to nostalgia. The later games mostly rectified this though, and I'm enjoying NSMBU a lot more.

Good God, that Vinesauce thread got so derailed by Giant Bomb fanboys that I had to resort to PMing a mod. I always feel anxious when I do that, since I never know which mod to PM - I settled on Gotchaeye this time, but still, I never know which one's the most receptive. So, uh, yeah, I'm feeling swell.

Also, man, I really need to get to bed earlier. In bed at 1AM, out of bed at 10AM. Had to skip showering just to get to work earlier than noon. I'm consistently leaving work at 7PM. This isn't right. Argh.

valve

pls

valve

stop
What, the BreenGrub Twitter account or something?

qq more

Valve

Half-Life 3 confirmed
Don't tease me :(

I should add that some people broke street date (July 25th), so some people have it earlyyyy... like RyougaSaotome. So jealous.

We don't have a release date for the NA/EU version yet.

NSMB1 just feels weird to go back to after NSMB2, doesn't it? Not to mention that NSMB2's level design just feels better in some respects. Mario feels better to control, too, in some ways.
Oh, I see.. Lame we don't have a release date yet. It's one of my most wanted games... is it coming out here this year at least?

I agree with everything here, except I always liked Mario more than Sonic. My major problem with NSMB from the moment I read about it in Nintendo Power is that it's a successor to the inferior SMB1. Without vertically scrolling levels, flight, more complex level design and such it felt like a big step backwards from SMB3, which was and still is my favorite game of all time. To me the game kind of lacked identity outside of the Mega Mushroom and pandering to nostalgia. The later games mostly rectified this though, and I'm enjoying NSMBU a lot more.
I agree. NSMB felt so lacking for that reason. It wasn't a bad game but it felt really unsatisfying and somewhat soulless. So glad the sequels improved on that. NSMB2 and U are amazing games.

Nope! Mario is the superior platformer! ...Even though I play Sonic far more than I do with Mario. <.<

What, the BreenGrub Twitter account or something?

Yes.

Kokonoe

Banned
I want to share this here because I'm really happy right now.

Holy smokes, to heck with the Power Glove! I'm playing with real power.

My new LG 39 inch 1080p TV just came in, and I hooked it up with DVI to HDMI from my PSP and for some reason the audio works. (I have no idea how that happens)

Anyhow, it looks gorgeous on a big TV rendered at 1080p.

ihGFXXeeCoxKy.jpg

If I play this with Dolphin I'll have my Wind Waker HD before it comes out!

Spinluck

Well, like I'd mentioned, I had lots of fun with the game when I'd learned how to exploit it easily, and the battle system/movement is faster paced. Normal battles are a lot of fun to experience, especially on Hard (you don't unlock the hardest difficulty until NG+).

Don't let me deter your hype by any means. The running joke in this thread happens to be that I hate video games because I make long posts about games I've just finished... especially for the ones I don't enjoy. (BTW, it isn't true; I like video games! I've just played a lot of them to be more critical. >.>) But I enjoyed my time with Xillia's battle system, and the better cinematic flow of delivering dialogue. Towns are very nice to look at, being able to switch characters on the fly mid-battle is highly desirable (ie: you can switch characters in the active battle party with characters in standby as you're battling with R3), and fast-travel with R3 saves a hell of a lot of time. There is no airship, so R3's fast-travel is the alternative.

With respect to the environments, there are some cubby holes that you can crawl into and elevated areas that you can climb up for treasures or sparklies on the field in order to use to level up your shopes, but outside of that and fighting enemies, there's little design relevance for them (other than the developers showing that they have control of more scale in terms of environments, but they just don't do anything with them). In FFXII, you can do more things like fish, do quests, watch enemies beat on each other, etc. Not to mention that there are environmental conditions (ex: weather, terrain effects (ex: Dalmasca Estersand is on sand, so Earth attacks are 20% stronger than normal, etc)). So, I suppose the difference is that FFXII does something interesting with its expansive environments, while Xillia kind of... doesn't outside of leaving duffel bags and sparklies for players to grind for the treasure trophies/increase shop levels with.

So keep hyped. I think a lot of people are going to like Xillia in the west because it's more story-focused than Graces was. Xillia's just not the sort of Tales game I like because I just prefer the Team Destiny-ish games.

I'm still excited for it. If it's what you think about the game it's what you think, nothing wrong with being a passionate fan with your criticisms. I just loved what I've seen from Xillia so far, so it just stunk to hear a few things about that already annoy me in other games (that fast travel sounds nice though).

But thanks for the heads up though, I totally forgot that there may have been Gaffers who played Xillia long before it got localized, heh.

EDIT: So guys, the Pikmin 3 commercial is actually nice.

qq more

I was actually shocked to hear Xillia is still coming out in America. For the longest time I thought it was localized already but nope :lol

Sciz

NSMBU is close to greatness, having taken some cues from the true king of 2D Mario, SMW. Still plays it too safe, though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm still excited for it. If it's what you think about the game it's what you think, nothing wrong with being a passionate fan with your criticisms. I just loved what I've seen from Xillia so far, so it just stunk to hear a few things about that already annoy me in other games (that fast travel sounds nice though).

But thanks for the heads up though, I totally forgot that there may have been Gaffers who played Xillia long before it got localized, heh.
Yeah, sometimes it's weird! I played Graces in 2010 (and some GAF members played it when it was on Wii), and Xillia in 2011, so sometimes it mixes me up too... especially for Game of the Year stuff. Because that usually means I can't vote for the game when it comes out in English or something.

I'm not that much of a Tales fan, but some people tease me for being one since I own a lot of the games (spinoffs included), books, and merchandise, so... I guess I am. It's just kinda sad that it's overtaken my real favourite series in Suikoden as the two Suikoden games released this gen did absolutely nothing for me as they were not in the canon of the rest of the series. :/

I was actually shocked to hear Xillia is still coming out in America. For the longest time I thought it was localized already but nope :lol
That's cuz I've been talking about it for 1.5 years now in here. :p

And that's because I streamed a little bit of Tales of Xillia 2 for you once.

NSMBU is close to greatness, having taken some cues from the true king of 2D Mario, SMW. Still plays it too safe, though.
I heard NSMBU has the best level design out of all of the NSMB games. True or false?

qq more

I heard NSMBU has the best level design out of all of the NSMB games. True or false?

True. Dare I say it's one of the best 2D Mario games ever made! Probably just below SMW and SMB3. I mean it's nothing special but I'd be lying if I didn't say I had tons of fun with it.

EDIT: Um... by the way. Is anyone getting problems with the mibbit link in the OP? One of our lurkers just told me it sometimes links him to a virus executable file. Odd...

Sciz

True, though it's a matter of degrees. There's more stuff than ever before, as they steadily incorporate more and more gimmicks from prior games while retaining everything from NSMBW, so it's an improvement if only because they've had to come up with more creative ways to use the same old mechanics and creeps. The real innovation is all tucked away in challenge mode.

The flying squirrel suit is a joy to use, at least.

Kokonoe

Banned
I was mostly alone about this in the NSMBU thread, but I honestly don't view NSMBU that much higher than Wii. I feel most of the improvements were from the bump to 720p. I played Wii right before Wii U, and I completed both. I do have to say, NSMBU does have some interesting moments, but it's like once every world where you see something unique to the game theme wise like the outside ghost swamp area.

I couldn't really compare it to World or 3 as those are much more rewarding to play for me, but there is still fun to be had with NSMBU, just not the kind where you're dazzled. I don't feel the game is worth the 60$ price tag, I'd say it's worthy of a 30$ price tag. I also played the DLC which had more creativity in some aspects of the level design, but the overall design is just short bursts of difficulty spikes and some being kind of annoying.

I don't know, although I do enjoy NSMB games, I just don't consider them anything to shake too much of a stick at.

qq more

I was mostly alone about this in the NSMBU thread, but I honestly don't view NSMBU that much higher than Wii. I feel most of the improvements were from the bump to 720p. I played Wii right before Wii U, and I completed both. I do have to say, NSMBU does have some interesting moments, but it's like once every world where you see something unique to the game theme wise like the outside ghost swamp area.

I couldn't really compare it to World or 3 as those are much more rewarding to play for me, but there is still fun to be had with NSMBU, just not the kind where you're dazzled. I don't feel the game is worth the 60$ price tag, I'd say it's worthy of a 30$ price tag. I also played the DLC which had more creativity in some aspects of the level design, but the overall design is just short bursts of difficulty spikes and some being kind of annoying.

I don't know, although I do enjoy NSMB games, I just don't consider them anything to shake too much of a stick at.
I definitely agree about the 60 dollar price tag for the game. It was way too much. I waited until I could get it for 40 and even then I had some amazon dollars left over at the time. Not sure what Nintendo was thinking pricing the game that much, it was clearly not even close to being a budget enough of a game to even warrant a 60 dollar tag.

I didn't think the Wii U game was that much better than the Wii game, if at all, but that speaks more to the quality of the latter than the lack of it in the former. The aesthetic is certainly kind of bland by this point (though New Super Mario Bros. U took some good steps in that regard with a lot of its backgrounds) and they're still maybe a bit safe/formulaic but the actual stage design is top shelf stuff.

It feels like a prettier expansion pack than a brand new game.

To a certain extent, I'm entirely okay with that. You don't need to reinvent the wheel all the time, and there's only so many places to go after 25 years of refinement.

I don't think it's even a problem of oversaturation given there's only been one per system. The biggest crime is in how poorly they've staggered the releases. DS->Wii->3DS or Wii U would've been fine, but having both of the last two so close to each other really highlighted how flat the whole enterprise is (after the big spike from the middling original DS game to the fantastic Wii one). The "million coins" thing of NSMB2, as satisfying as it could be on a base level of OMG LOOK AT ALL THE SHINIES, was a pretty obvious surface-level gimmick.

More variation would be nice, but I think it's really only necessary aesthetically (more like the painted swamp in NSMBU would be nice) and power ups or stage gimmicks. The core of New Super Mario is rock solid and there's no point changing it for the sake of change.

Pietepiet

Edit: Daingurse is right; this looks slow. I wonder if this is going to be one of those gimmick levels. Hmmm.

Game is looking worse with each video I see and I'm super disappointed by that :( The initial trailer and parkour idea had a lot of promise, but all I'm seeing now is slow levels and horrible, almost Heroes-like steering and turning. The way Sonic changes direction looks so awkwardly fast, with too sharp angles. Also whisps :(

Will still get this, but not nearly as excited as I was about Generations before release.

[EDIT] The level names also just seem random as hell. I don't get it.

Game is looking worse with each video I see and I'm super disappointed by that :( The initial trailer and parkour idea had a lot of promise, but all I'm seeing now is slow levels and horrible, almost Heroes-like steering and turning. The way Sonic changes direction looks so awkwardly fast, with too sharp angles. Also whisps :(

Will still get this, but not nearly as excited as I was about Generations before release.

At least that one gaffer with the Sonic avatar wearing a yellow scarf will be happy.

Village

Holy crap yes.

I didn't think the Wii U game was that much better than the Wii game, if at all, but that speaks more to the quality of the latter than the lack of it in the former. The aesthetic is certainly kind of bland by this point (though New Super Mario Bros. U took some good steps in that regard with a lot of its backgrounds) and they're still maybe a bit safe/formulaic but the actual stage design is top shelf stuff.

NSMB Wii is a lot better than people often tend to give it credit for, I played SMB3, SMW and NSMB Wii back to back in early 2012 and came away feeling that NSMB Wii may have been my favourite of the three.
NSMBU is basically a slightly better NSMB Wii, it lacks in any sort of immediate wow factor and some of its more interesting level ideas originated from NSMB Wii to begin with but when it comes down to it it probably has the best level design of the lot, throw in the challenge mode and Luigi DLC and dare I say it may be the best 2D Mario out there if you don't get bogged down by similar aesthetics.

SMW used to be my favourite but i'm beginning to find after replaying it again this year that its focus on secrets might have been detrimental to it, the difficulty curve is kind of all over the place as well, which is a shame as the castles are great and ramp up with the world progression but standard overworld levels stay pretty breezy from Yoshi's Island to Valley of Bowser. Not that other Mario games are exactly tough either mind you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom