• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least the secret exits aren't as tough to find as opposed to other SNES platformers.

They're certainly preferable to the silliness on display with some of New Super Luigi U's hidden exits.
But in turn this does lead to one problem I have is when going for all the exits you notice quite a few secret exits are just placed right near the standard exits, so you essentially end up doubling back across a lot of stages.
Which isn't that bad a thing really but a few stages like Forest of Illusion 2, Valley of Bowser 2, Star Road 2, Donut Plains...2 (jeez, what's with the twos?) and certain Ghost Houses aren't exactly stages you want to immediately replay just to do something different just before the standard exit.
Of course i'm now wondering why this bugs me more than say going back through NSMB stages for star coins which i'm pretty fine with, maybe it's because they tend to be more enjoyable to seek out? oh well.

Rlan

So at PAX AUS they had the 3DS E3 demo of Sonic: Lost World, yay!

Based on the demo I'm not sure just how big the 3DS version will be. All of Windy Hill's levels weren't completely round -- instead they were something like 1/3 of a sphere, with invisible walls keeping you in, which kind of blowed.

The game itself was pretty fun in these more "open" levels, I didn't have much of a problem with Sonic's turning circle stuff that others complain about here.

The Dusty Desert 2D level though was just awful, plain awful. The small walkways go against the whole parkour thing and makes it look so horribly broken. Instead of just stopping at a wall you just run up it in a really broken fashion.

The initial trailer and parkour idea had a lot of promise, but all I'm seeing now is slow levels and horrible, almost Heroes-like steering and turning. The way Sonic changes direction looks so awkwardly fast, with too sharp angles.
Careful, I brought that up in the Wisp reveal trailer thread, and got treated like complete shit for it.

Still, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's seeing it. Allegedly it's better than it appears, but since I only have videos to go off of, and the videos are far from promising in this respect, I'm not going to be convinced until I've had some hands-on time of my own.

Sciz

Of course i'm now wondering why this bugs me more than say going back through NSMB stages for star coins which i'm pretty fine with, maybe it's because they tend to be more enjoyable to seek out? oh well.

I've really soured on the star coin concept. Nintendo doesn't want anyone getting stuck on finding them so none of them are hidden particularly well, and every level has to have three so it ends up making secrets a very uniformly paced affair. If they're easy to find and you know they exist, it sucks all the fun out of them being secrets. SMW's secret exits were labeled on the map but you never had any idea where they were hidden, and SMB3 is loaded with obscure little niches and bonus areas from start to finish. And in any case, all star coins do is unlock bonus levels which is something you used to get anyway, so there isn't even a proper reward.

My other issue with the NSMB games being full of stuff is that they seldom take the opportunity to explore the possibilities. Each level is its own self-contained theme park and then you'll probably never see any of its hazards again. SMW didn't have as much stuff, even compared to SMB3, but the designers took what it did have and fleshed the hell out of it. As a result it's a much tighter game thematically, while being no less creative than any of its more feature packed brethren.

PKrockin

Yeah, I usually end up getting all the Star Coins in a level the first time I beat it. It's sort of pointless to me. Just have one well-hidden Star Coin per level if you just end up putting the other two in plain sight.

BlackJace

Lost World is garnering really polarizing opinions it seems. I still have to reserve judgment on it. I actually like the somewhat slower impressions, considering the "boost through the stage really fucking fast" trope got old, and sacrificed some platforming finesse.

Still cautiously optimistic.

And happy birthday, Noi.

Noi

I made 30 bux at EVO at a side-betting station where you could bet up to $5 and have to randomly play one of SMW's special stages. If you did it on the first try, you got double your ongoing bet. My childhood making me money.

Happy Birthday, Me!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I was saying to a few people that I've grown incredibly weary of the Star Coins stuff in the NSMB games, myself. They aren't difficult to find at all, and honestly, it feels like a chore to get them. I'm not the hugest fan of World because I just prefer SMB3 more, but I really liked how World handled its hidden areas, and it did it in the best way in the entire series. You just had to futz around and find the hidden exits in the areas, or you can just use the Star Road to beat the game real quick.

Regardless, it was nice reading impressions in here about the game and noting that there is a bit of a divisiveness with respect to how the game seems to people as opposed to outright stating that it was really good. I'll be picking a Wii U up with NSMBU and Super Luigi U soon enough to see for myself. Thanks, guys and gals.

i hate video games
Your name is not--...
But you're not Schala.
...what he said. >.>

So at PAX AUS they had the 3DS E3 demo of Sonic: Lost World, yay!

Based on the demo I'm not sure just how big the 3DS version will be. All of Windy Hill's levels weren't completely round -- instead they were something like 1/3 of a sphere, with invisible walls keeping you in, which kind of blowed.

The game itself was pretty fun in these more "open" levels, I didn't have much of a problem with Sonic's turning circle stuff that others complain about here.

The Dusty Desert 2D level though was just awful, plain awful. The small walkways go against the whole parkour thing and makes it look so horribly broken. Instead of just stopping at a wall you just run up it in a really broken fashion.
Oh, neat, thanks for the impressions.

What's the HUD like? I ask only because for the Wii U version, in order to use Wisps, you need to touch them on the Gamepad screen. What's accelerating like in terms of a control scheme as well?

Hm, so the parkour thing feels really weird in the 3DS version? I wonder if it'll be the same in the Wii U version. I hope not, because that sort of flexibility was something Sonic needed, and if it's not really elegant in a control manner and if it feels too loose, it could be problematic. I know a lot of people in here have been drawing comparisons to Heroes upon seeing footage, and I kinda feel inclined to agree sometimes, and other times I don't for the sake of feeling like Sonic Team's gotten much better since that point in time.

Granted, this is the 3DS version we're talking about. It's interesting that Dusty Desert was the one that felt really weird.

I've really soured on the star coin concept. Nintendo doesn't want anyone getting stuck on finding them so none of them are hidden particularly well, and every level has to have three so it ends up making secrets a very uniformly paced affair. If they're easy to find and you know they exist, it sucks all the fun out of them being secrets. SMW's secret exits were labeled on the map but you never had any idea where they were hidden, and SMB3 is loaded with obscure little niches and bonus areas from start to finish. And in any case, all star coins do is unlock bonus levels which is something you used to get anyway, so there isn't even a proper reward.

My other issue with the NSMB games being full of stuff is that they seldom take the opportunity to explore the possibilities. Each level is its own self-contained theme park and then you'll probably never see any of its hazards again. SMW didn't have as much stuff, even compared to SMB3, but the designers took what it did have and fleshed the hell out of it. As a result it's a much tighter game thematically, while being no less creative than any of its more feature packed brethren.
I'm going to have to disagree on both counts here, If anything I always thought the best star coins were the ones in plain sight that required overcoming an optional enemy obstacle or using one of the games mechanics to nab it like sliding an iced enemy off a platform or simply completing a P switch task. The more actually hidden ones tend to rely on the whole fake wall thing which is far too common an occurrence in the console outings, oddly NSMB2 sidesteps this entirely and has what i'd consider the best coin placement of the lot.

As for stages, just my personal preference really for a stage have something new to show for itself.
Certainly though I remember a few times in SMG2 where a new idea was introduced for a galaxy but then vanished never to be seen elsewhere leaving me wanting a bit more of it, but then Super Mario 3D Land came along and for example took the underused flip panels of SMG2 and then proceeded to overuse them, in which case I found out which angle I prefer on this point. But once again that's just my preference, I just wish Mario stages were a bit longer at times so they could get as more mileage out of each idea, Still regarding the NSMB games, most unique stage ideas return across the sequels anyway, especially in the case of Wii to U to Luigi.

I made 30 bux at EVO at a side-betting station where you could bet up to $5 and have to randomly play one of SMW's special stages. If you did it on the first try, you got double your ongoing bet. My childhood making me money.

Happy Birthday, Me!

Gnarly, Groovy and Mondo would be easy money by comparison to the rest, in truth i'd probably choke on Tubular, the very last bit of Awesome or Outrageous though.

Oh and happy birthday, July must be Sonic Gaf month, suck it Beefmas.

Mario World has too enviorment variety. That's why I think Mario 3 is superior.
I assume you mean to say too little right?
SMW is pretty clever with its use of palette switchups for both foregrounds and backgrounds to create more variety that way.

I'll stay up a little longer instead of napping. This Okami run is good.

I guess I could watch the DKCR one. I guess. Schedule: http://marathon.speeddemosarchive.com/schedule.

My eyes are getting pretty twitchy, though. Shame I have to babysit otherwise I'd be sleeping.
Speedrunning Okami sounds like an oxymoron but here we are.
Oh Schala you card, playing down your clear hype for ROLL JUMPS with sleepiness, you make me chortle.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
And according to my mental birthdays list…

January: GAMERG0D
February: Emitan, (Regulus Tera, since he’d posted in the previous thread)
March: OMG Aero, BlackJace
April: Shadow Hog, Nert, tiggerkiddo, Dark Schala
May: Gravijah
June: Seven Force
July: Blaze/Sega1991, Nocturnowl, Arc Christelle, BHZ Mayor, qq more, Noi, (kayos, though he doesn't post much in this thread)
August: I am unsure if this person would like me to publicly announce their birthday, but if they would, I'll totally edit this post.
October: TheOGB, iirc but I could be wrong about that because I just remember him mentioning it offhand.
November: Lightning Lord, Green Scar, (probably Diablohead because I remember him saying it was days after Sonic 2 launched)
December: BEEFMAS, Phantom Year Eve

And with respect to our lurkers: iirc, Culver said his birthday was in October, Techokami’s birthday’s in July, and Bean's birthday is in late December.

Of course, I might be wrong or missing some people’s (because they’ve probably never mentioned it, or I may have forgotten).

Speedrunning Okami sounds like an oxymoron but here we are.
Oh Schala you card, playing down your clear hype for ROLL JUMPS with sleepiness, you make me chortle.
I'll be so excited by the time they hit World 4 that sleep will take me. I'll be dreaming about DKCR and DKC: Tropical Island Breeze.

I have better things to do on my birthday than watch speedruns.

Like playing Madagascar 3: The Video Game
with my little cousin
At least you're past your 100th platinum this time around. :p

And according to my mental birthdays list…

January: Phantom, GAMERG0D
February: Emitan, (Regulus Tera, since he’d posted in the previous thread)
March: OMG Aero, BlackJace
April: Shadow Hog, Nert, tiggerkiddo, Dark Schala
May: Gravijah
June: Seven Force
July: Blaze/Sega1991, Nocturnowl, Arc Christelle, BHZ Mayor, qq more, Noi, (kayos, though he doesn't post much in this thread)
August: I am unsure if this person would like me to publicly announce their birthday, but if they would, I'll totally edit this post.
October: TheOGB, iirc but I could be wrong about that because I just remember him mentioning it offhand.
November: Lightning Lord, Green Scar, (probably Diablohead because I remember him saying it was days after Sonic 2 launched)
December: BEEFMAS

And with respect to our lurkers: iirc, Culver said his birthday was in October, Techokami’s birthday’s in July, and Bean's birthday is in late December.

Of course, I might be wrong or missing some people’s (because they’ve probably never mentioned it, or I may have forgotten).

I'll be so excited by the time they hit World 4 that sleep will take me. I'll be dreaming about DKCR and DKC: Tropical Island Breeze.

At least you're past your 100th platinum this time around. :p

Mine is December 31st, Schala. You were close though.

March is no fun, it's still cold, it's not yet actually spring so you can still get snow (In fact March and April seems to be when we get most of our snow...I guess to make up for the rest of winter being mild and dry) and it's darn windy.

BlackJace

Buncha haters. Nah but March can be miserable in terms of weather, at least in the US.
Having a birthday on St. Patrick's Day is something my parents won't stop reminding me about, though.

Sciz

I'm going to have to disagree on both counts here, If anything I always thought the best star coins were the ones in plain sight that required overcoming an optional enemy obstacle or using one of the games mechanics to nab it like sliding an iced enemy off a platform or simply completing a P switch task.

Those are the better ones, certainly, since they just add to the platforming challenge. Still feels like the more interesting content is shuffled just off to the side as a glorified achievement system, there to be done once so the game gives you a gold star and never revisited thereafter.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that they're a big shiny "HEY GUYS CHECK OUT WHAT'S OVER HERE HUH HUH" sign instead of letting the player organically discover cool shit on his own, and that's boring. Sonic's red star coins work out a little better despite being basically the same thing because they're usually just placed in the middle of secret or high-skill routes instead of being the end goal themselves.

I remember that one March (2011, I think?) where the East Coast literally got hit with two or so snowstorms a week, so every time I think of March, I think of that. #FuckMarch

Mostly kidding, it's a decent month.

I have better things to do on my birthday than watch speedruns.

Like playing Madagascar 3: The Video Game
with my little cousin
I thought you had succumbed to licensed movie games for your trophy needs, you had me going there for a second.

YEAH!
Hang on a minute, there's something not quite right about this statement.

Those are the better ones, certainly, since they just add to the platforming challenge. Still feels like the more interesting content is shuffled just off to the side as a glorified achievement system, there to be done once so the game gives you a gold star and never revisited thereafter.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that they're a big shiny "HEY GUYS CHECK OUT WHAT'S OVER HERE HUH HUH" sign instead of letting the player organically discover cool shit on his own, and that's boring. Sonic's red star coins work out a little better despite being basically the same thing because they're usually just placed in the middle of secret or high-skill routes instead of being the end goal themselves.
Through all this star coins talk I was wondering what peoples thoughts on the red rings were, needless to say I like them as well and think they're integrated nicely as the pursuit of them often led me to discover new routes which is always part of the fun in Sonic games.

Noi

The platforming in Madagascar 3 makes me cry. So trivial, so bland, why back in my day Crash Bandicoot was nice and tough and we could beat it just fine. No wonder kids these days are growing up lacking!

PKrockin

The platforming in Madagascar 3 makes me cry. So trivial, so bland, why back in my day Crash Bandicoot was nice and tough and we could beat it just fine. No wonder kids these days are growing up lacking!
Yeah, we had real licensed classics like Superman 64.

Sonic-Gaf should just make it's own platformer
I'm sure one of us has a Mario World romhack we'd rather not admit we made.
that would be me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom