• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't counting Superstar because it's not really a "straight platformer" the way the Dream Land/Adventure/64 games are (though it is just made up of a bunch of little platformers, really). I never bothered to get all the treasures in Great Cave Offensive anyway, though.

qq more

Only slightly even tiniest bit annoying was trying to find all the treasure in the Great Cave Offensive...otherwise, I thought getting 100 percent in Superstar was pretty easy.

Great Cave Offensive is probably my favorite non-traditional Kirby mode. It was metroidvania Kirby done right.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Famitsu's comments:
Clear the game in 30 hours, over 50 hours completely.
The character’s are charming and the pleasant mood is nice.
As for the mood, preferences are likely to differ.
The anime character’s movements are fresh and original.
Consecutive battles with smaller mobs go on too long.
Noticed that there were few roads to explore in the towns.
The sense of movement in the anime was excellent.
Battles are fun with light tactics, but sometimes the strategic nature of it is tense.
It’s easy to read what attack the enemy will do and avoid it.
On the whole, the anime is monotonous and a bit sketchy.
Overall, it’s pretty decent, definitely give it a try.
It’s an ambitious title with the intention of challenging the graphics and system.
Fans of Masuda’s scenarios have to check it out.
You could say it’s Utopia for boys.

I guess they didn't do everything because there was an area where the framerate dropped to like 10-15fps for no reason.

qq more

B-b-but wasn't this game considered one the worst of in Japan that year?

" The sense of movement in the anime was excellent."

No

NO IT WASN'T

Dreamland 3 killed me with that nonsense. Having to get all the mcguffin in that one with all the guessing games that had you restart the whole level if you failed them once was a load of bullshit.

Easy platformers my ass.

But that's what I loved about Dreamland 3. lol

Pietepiet

Dreamland 3 killed me with that nonsense. Having to get all the mcguffin in that one with all the guessing games that had you restart the whole level if you failed them once was a load of bullshit.

Easy platformers my ass.

I've been on a Kirby binge the past two weeks and Dreamland 3 is so damn boring. Very uninteresting level design, and I just don't like the single-use powers as opposed to Super Star and Return to Dreamland's multiple moves per power. Animal Friends are such cuties though

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Weird, I can't sleep even though I'm dead tired. But I'll post this and force myself to sleep because I thought it was funny.

The reference is this song, of course.

heyheywtjvw.png

Tizoc

tRIED Sonic Adventure 1 on my PS3 and...the first stage was like a straight line, just so players can experience Sonic running at high speeds...granted that was impressive back in 1998 but now...

I'm a believer that Kirby 64's true final boss was made too cumbersome to access so that children wouldn't see
Zero 2
. That might have been frightening to younger kids.
Some of those shards were straight up BS, dragging in a power combo from another stage was a frequent event.

tRIED Sonic Adventure 1 on my PS3 and...the first stage was like a straight line, just so players can experience Sonic running at high speeds...granted that was impressive back in 1998 but now...

It does heave the best music in the game though.

Collecting all of the Rainbow Drops in Dreamland 2 was pretty fun, didn't really find issue with it at all. The Crystal Shards less so, since the only indication you had for some of the power combinations necessary were the colors on the blocks usually blocking the path to the crystal.

Heart stars in Dreamland 3 are straight up bullshit, though. Dreamland 3 in general is a pretty weak, boring game, though it easily has one of my favorite final boss sequences in the series.

PKrockin

Haha, Schala, I was about to post that I'm way too excited for Xillia, and ask you to just say a few sentences about the game to deflate my hype again.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I hope I'm a character in your FF7 playthrough, Schala.
So you want to be Cid then?

Because qq more's Aeris. Who wants to be Yuffie?

Haha, Schala, I was about to post that I'm way too excited for Xillia, and ask you to just say a few sentences about the game to deflate my hype again.
What are you most excited about with respect to the game? I'll say something about that particular aspect. :p

Mystic Arte incoming: Tales of hype deflation.
I'm not sure if i'm currently immune to its status effect or if I was struck by the move long ago and my hype never recovered.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ok.

Cloud - Bean
Barret - HEY HEY
Tifa - Schala
Aeris - qq more
Red XIII - Coldman
Yuffie -
Cait Sith - Shadow Hog (ShdwHg)
Vincent -
Cid - Beef

Rude/Rufus Shinra - JC

When in doubt, I'm always Yuffie
Sure.

Edit: Beaten out within the minute, bah.
Uh oh.

Mystic Arte incoming: Tales of hype deflation.
I'm not sure if i'm currently immune to its status effect or if I was struck by the move long ago and my hype never recovered.
It's what I excel at.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm hearing the story is somehow quite good, and I know that can't be true but release day hype has me almost believing it.
There's one character who I don't like very much because he's completely dumb and it kind of adds up over time. Additionally, I heard that in the English version, Elise and Tipo fare worse.

But overall, I... kinda like this cast, and Tipo's my second-favourite Tales mascot character. It's one of the better narratives in the series. It's just that the game itself suffers because it's kind of dictated by the narrative and pacing of it (because of the push for better cinematic / better directed cutscenes in Tales). So it exists more to tell a story as opposed to letting the player explore the world a little more. That's partially why the fields are so barren, and why the sidequests are nothing more than fetch quests with some character quests (which can be missable, btw), sprinkled in.

A lot of the stuff like Tales staples (cameo battles in the arena, hot springs scenes, character quirkiness sidequests, etc) were simply stripped in order to tell a story. Titles don't even matter because they aren't something you equip. They're just things that tell you how your trophy / grade progression is going.

There is a reason why I said some people thought that this was the FF13 of Tales games, and why I said that I felt like Tales of Graces f was more of an anniversary game than Tales of Xillia ever was. I don't really like how streamlined it is, and how stripped down it is compared to other games in the series.

Kiddo can be Yuffie, I'll just go ahead and brood in my coffin.

Okay:

Vincent - Noi
Yuffie - tiggerkiddo (though I'm trying to rationalize how to fit that into 9 characters)

9 characters, right? "ShadowHog" fits :V
I juuuuuuust remembered that.

Noi

*checks leaderboard*

...I'm still in the top 20 even when saltybet blew up in numbers? Man, people suck at managing their bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom