• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOGB

Banned
I thought I've made it clear that Superstar Ultra slays everything.
Superstar Ultra is my jam dawg

Return to Dreamland is great, Nightmare in Dreamland is great, Amazing Mirror was hilarious to me because of fun co-op memories, and I haven't played a whole lot of Canvas Curse, so I don't even know. Hopefully I get to fix that.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Man, I wish I owned Canvas Curse. I borrowed it from someone back when I was going to my old uni and I liked it a lot.

I just can't replay it now to see if I still stand by what I liked about it!

Well it's still sitting aside, maybe i'll post something later, maybe.
You go first...
I will, either today or tomorrow night for the benefit of bumping a thread with more traffic on the board. And man, I still have to post that AC post too.

I've just been feeling so out of it and so down for the past week or so, especially the past few days, to even do anything of merit. So I'm just sitting here finishing off Time and Eternity instead. :/

Man, I wish I owned Canvas Curse. I borrowed it from someone back when I was going to my old uni and I liked it a lot.

I just can't replay it now to see if I still stand by what I liked about it!
My sad confession is that replaying it earlier this year wasn't quite the awesome home coming I expected, oh it's still very good mind you but I think I played it a tad too much back in the day so even now it couldn't really surprise me once again.
I think a lot of the fun actually comes from ink trial, it really tests your ability with the games main mechanic.

I will, either today or tomorrow night for the benefit of bumping a thread with more traffic on the board. And man, I still have to post that AC post too.

I've just been feeling so out of it and so down for the past week or so, especially the past few days, to even do anything of merit. So I'm just sitting here finishing off Time and Eternity instead. :/

I'd feel pretty out of sorts if I were forcing myself through T&E as well.
But no, i've had a kind of bleh week myself.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Even if I'm feeling kinda... down and weird and not myself today, this kinda made me smile a bit, I guess.

k8a6pnX.jpg

I've been starting to play online with people little-by-little, and I have Noi to thank for that, actually. I'm really shy when it comes to this stuff, but I'm glad I know a few people who've been pretty patient with me.

My sad confession is that replaying it earlier this year wasn't quite the awesome home coming I expected, oh it's still very good mind you but I think I played it a tad too much back in the day so even now it couldn't really surprise me once again.
I think a lot of the fun actually comes from ink trial, it really tests your ability with the games main mechanic.
Aw, that's disappointing. I only got to play it once, and didn't get to play much of the ink trial either. I've been looking for a copy of at least Touch! Kirby! and I can't even find that. One day, though.

I'd feel pretty out of sorts if I were forcing myself through T&E as well.
But no, i've had a kind of bleh week myself.
I empathize completely. :/ Though part of me feels like I deserve it for behaving like a fool. Lowest point is today where I just don't feel up to doing anything or saying anything to anyone. Pretty much going through the motions here.

BlackJace

Amidst their bizarre actions regarding online, I can respect that Nintendo really embraces local multiplayer a lot. I don't think I've done couch co op or multiplayer for a year now :(

Amidst their bizarre actions regarding online, I can respect that Nintendo really embraces local multiplayer a lot. I don't think I've done couch co op or multiplayer for a year now :(

Yeah, it is appreciated, though I can never get any of my friends to play anything Nintendo that isn't Smash or Mario Kart, so I'm stuck playing most Nintendo titles alone regardless :/

Even if I'm feeling kinda... down and weird and not myself today, this kinda made me smile a bit, I guess.
That Blue Shell line is so very true, I have forged the strongest of bonds surviving the blue shell fallout.

I empathize completely. :/ Though part of me feels like I deserve it for behaving like a fool. Lowest point is today where I just don't feel up to doing anything or saying anything to anyone. Pretty much going through the motions here.

The arrival of a new week will make all the difference, I mean sure there's no real reason for it to but I choose to believe.

I actually got to finally break out the local multiplayer for NSMBU a few weeks back, my sides were dead by the end of it and that was with me on block placing duty of all things trying to save everyone else's hilariously uncoordinated arses.
The stage "run for it" in multiplayer is legendary.

Sciz

I actually got to finally break out the local multiplayer for NSMBU a few weeks back, my sides were dead by the end of it and that was with me on block placing duty of all things trying to save everyone else's hilariously uncoordinated arses.
The stage "run for it" in multiplayer is legendary.

People laugh about boost mode, but it actually is pretty sweet.

People laugh about boost mode, but it actually is pretty sweet.

I owe boost mode the ultimate moment of laughter, we'd finally reached the flagpole after many attempts on Run For It, only one player was left since i'd basically had to block them across the last stretch myself and i'd built a quick downward staircase lineup of blocks leading to the flagpole, it was damn near connected with the pole aside from a small gap just wide enough for a character to fall through if they decided to give up on jumping.
So of course the last guy left falls down that gap, he got given so much grief but it was the greatest failure i've ever been a part of.

While I don't advocate the idea that boost mode should be forced upon the player with the gamepad which is a silly decision at least this came from it, the omnipotent ability to assist or obstruct.

qq more

Come to think of it... it's just the platformers' multiplayer that's missing online now, right?

...er wait nevermind. I just immediately remembered Pikmin 3 as I clicked reply...

Come to think of it... it's just the platformers' multiplayer that's missing online now, right?

...er wait nevermind. I just immediately remembered Pikmin 3 as I clicked reply...

Starfox 64 3D, as well. No reason for that to not have online when even the DS entry did.

qq more

Starfox 64 3D, as well. No reason for that to not have online when even the DS entry did.

Yeah, I don't know what the hell they were thinking there. Although as of late they've been embracing online play a bit more. Who would've guessed Luigi Mansion and Kid Icarus get online multiplayer? Now if only they add story co-op online play in their games..

And just so all is clear, Superstar is the best Kirby game around. That music, the way they expanded the powers and gave them even more uses...the freaking Paint brush...plus it still looks great to this day.

Sciz

If the Retronauts podcast is anything to go by, Shake It didn't exactly set the world on fire. I've only ever played like, the first level.

It's well worth playing, especially once you start going for optional objectives. Less transformations than you'd expect from a Wario Land game, but it makes up for it in other ways.

It also cemented Tomoya Tomita as a musical genius, so there's that.

To be honest games as art and the future of gaming as a medium are two topics that I don't think about and therefore I don't have much to say. But I would be interested in reading/participating in other discussions about game design.

Pretty much where i'm at right now.

I can see how you guys can feel that way, for me it's been awhile since I discussed the topic and it was hard writing it without the inspiration from seeing statements from other people I may disagree with. I hope the thread itself doesn't come off as pretentious or anything as most of those types of discussions do in order to legitimize an opinion.

I think I've been on GAF for about 3 months now, and while I got carried away with having fun with the other discussions on most of these threads, I wanted to return to my initial reason for coming here in the first place and promote that kind of discussion.

Usually when it's brought up, I usually hear people discuss it in terms of narrative or making it "mature"/validate it as a hobby for adults/etc, which a lot I've disagreed with, and even felt that those mentalities were hindering it's evolution, especially when you consider the options we have when it comes to gaming, game design, control schemes, etc. I know that there are some devs that are more motivated to make gaming like film, and while I understand that we can learn or become inspired from film, attempts to emulate the medium is anything but the way to go.

I think about when people may consider games that may seem artsy/intellectual or narrative-driven as what makes video games art, due to the idea of them having "meaning", while ignoring everything else the core of what I believe truly is the art of a game (mechanics, gamplay, design). Therefore games that may not focus in being those type of psuedo-intellectual joints my not get as much love from the media or spotlight, despite being in the hands of a great player, it could look amazing. Or perhaps the puzzles and challenges may encourage you to approach everyday obstacles in life differently. As I say, "Shit like that."

*"artsy/intellectual" may be one of those buzzwords I need to add to that list.

qq more

Going through Kirby games now in the Dream Collection. Even though I've beaten Dreamland before, I've just beaten it again. I'm gonna start Kirby Adventure next and then Dreamland 2. Dreamland 2 and 3 are the only ones I've never beaten out of the 6 games from the collection.

Anyone else has this? It's pretty nice, presentation-wise.

Going through Kirby games now in the Dream Collection. Even though I've beaten Dreamland before, I've just beaten it again. I'm gonna start Kirby Adventure next and then Dreamland 2. Dreamland 2 and 3 are the only ones I've never beaten out of the 6 games from the collection.

I bought it just because I'm a Kirby fan...even though I don't have a system to play it on, lol. The soundtrack CD is very cool though, already have some of the tracks on my MP3 player.

qq more

I bought it just because I'm a Kirby fan...even though I don't have a system to play it on, lol. The soundtrack CD is very cool though, already have some of the tracks on my MP3 player.
Yeah! The CD is really cool. Nice to see at least 2-4 songs from every Kirby game, they picked some really dang good songs too!

EDIT: Too bad this wasn't on the CD but I can't get enough of Yogurt Yard's theme. So goooddddd

I thought about getting it. But then I remembered that Kirby is a dumb franchise and I wouldn't be caught dead with something like that in my collection. :)

*hides Kirby games*

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Here's to hoping today's a better day, I suppose. I'm not super-enthusiastic about it. :/

I'm also planning on finishing off the Toki Ending on my own this afternoon, and probably streaming the Towa Ending for interested parties in Time and Eternity tonight. It's a holiday here, so I know that some of you guys have to work.

I kept saying "oh, Gamestop has Xenoblade for $60. Much better than the eBay prices, right? I should really go about buying that at some point."

I take a look. Used copies are $90 now. eBay prices are actually only $10-20 more. Plus, the nearest store with a copy is 60 miles away, in another state entirely.

Why did Nintendo of America make this a limited-edition, only-available-from-Gamestop release? God damn.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Because they didn't think they'd make a lot of cash, especially considering how they "treated the Wii", so to speak in its ending years. They didn't give it a proper ending. To their credit, they were maybe a little right (but they don't have anyone else to blame outside of themselves for that, really).

On the other hand, it's really weird on their part because contrary to what everyone believes, it's really Squaresoft/Square Enix RPGs and Nintendo RPGs that sell the most/break 1 million copies in the US. I think if they'd properly advertised it and released it in a timely manner, Xenoblade would've broken that 1 million mark, too.

I have a sealed US copy since I still have my UK LE lying around here. That red CC Pro was neat. I have the Goldeneye CC Pro, too. And I think I have a white one. Yeah, I dunno why I have so many CC Pros either.

I really should have tried Xenoblade but I never took it out of its wrapping, realized it had been sitting for months and months without me ever getting this sudden urge to play it, so I sold it. Yes, perhaps a mistake on my end...I wish I had been able to try a demo first or something.

Because they didn't think they'd make a lot of cash, especially considering how they "treated the Wii", so to speak in its ending years. They didn't give it a proper ending. To their credit, they were maybe a little right (but they don't have anyone else to blame outside of themselves for that, really).
And they're paying dearly for it. By not supporting their own console in its final years, they completely lost the audience they'd been trying to cultivate as they moved on to its successor.

Doesn't help that they're not supporting said successor well at all, either.

I remember there was a rumor about an HD remake of Xenoblade for the Wii U... I'd totally spring for that, at this point.

I don't understand buying a game and not playing it.

Then again I'm the type who buys one game at a time, and if I don't have an immediate desire to play it I don't buy it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I keep wondering if I should actually hold onto that sealed US copy for the future to see if I can make a mint on it in a few years.

I remember in my pre-GAF years, having a laugh at Xenoblade actually having grassy fields as opposed to ground textures, while FF13 had none.

And they're paying dearly for it. By not supporting their own console in its final years, they completely lost the audience they'd been trying to cultivate as they moved on to its successor.

Doesn't help that they're not supporting said successor well at all, either.
I think they're trying to get the 3DS up to speed this year, and while it's an interesting strategy, their console is completely flailing because of that. I mean, I think they're kind of between a rock and a hard place atm. Either they don't go in full-force for the 3DS and save that market share from being gobbled up by smartphones and tablets, or they do what they're doing now and throwing a bunch of games on that platform while probably neglecting their console (which is equally as detrimental and you can't really spin that into a positive from a marketing/sales point of view).

I have to wonder about the holiday season now. Yeah, it'll move a few units because of presumably World U, Sonic Lost World, and TWW HD, but I don't know if they'll even hit their foolish 9 mil unit forecast. And to be honest, I'm not sure how the PS4 and Xbone will even fare this holiday season considering their launch lineups, either. It'll be a weird holiday season, I think.

And now there's a topic on it.

Clearly somebody was lurking in this thread :V

And to be honest, I'm not sure how the PS4 and Xbone will even fare this holiday season considering their launch lineups, either. It'll be a weird holiday season, I think.
I dunno about Xbone, but PS4 seems poised to do gangbusters.

I know GAF's really hard on it, and it's Bosman's go-to game for a quick gag, but I actually like the look of Knack. Not enough to spend $400 on a console when I'm not sure what my financial situation will be once I move into this condo I'm purchasing, but I'll probably be looking into it when I eventually get a PS4. So, there's that game that it has going for it. Xbox One has Crimson Dragon, at least, but I don't really want an Xbox One, even though most of my reasons for outright hating it have been alleviated.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
No one reads this thread! :p

I think the PS4 will get a bunch of early adopters, for sure. At least people who like investing in new tech first and foremost... like me. Especially since it has some cross-gen games that some people wanted (ex: Watch Dogs, in my case... and I get the feeling that dad's gonna want to get me AC4 since it takes place in the Caribbean this time and he likes watching me go through the AC games since he finds them dramatic; he totally wants to see if they'll get some genuine patois and Caribbean dialects in there when I told him they mightn't). I dunno if I'll jump on Knack yet because I haven't seen a lot of footage for it from a gameplay standpoint. I imagine it'll be a lot like other platforms' launch lineups, though. I can see myself getting 1-3 games for it at first. It's a small shame that one of their biggest hitters from E3, Infamous Second Son, is a launch window game as opposed to a day one title.

It's weird. The Wii U did some things right with their launch lineup, and I thought it was one of the better console lineups out there since it had something for everyone (but the Wii launch lineup was even better). Problem is, you have to consistently support the system every month or two with new games, lots of ads, get your thing on Ellen, make money, etc. Not to mention that they didn't adequately support their previous console in its dying years and people just ended up forgetting about it (a ton of people I know from uni or otherwise forgot about it). Otherwise, people are still going to think it's just an add-on for the progenitor console. Much like how people thought the 3DS was just another DS.

Even the ladies I work with in the hospital don't know what it is or even care for it, and they've all had Wii consoles at some point. Their kids are more into 360s now.

I think the PS4 will get a bunch of early adopters, for sure. At least people who like investing in new tech first and foremost... like me.
I invested in new tech on day one, and I have a Wii U to show for it :V

(Then again, first-day sales seem to be the bulk of the console's lifetime sales, so...)

That rumor about a $500 PS4/Vita bundle sounds kind of good. They could push that as a higher-end Wii U-esque setup, more or less.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I invested in new tech on day one, and I have a Wii U to show for it :V

(Then again, first-day sales seem to be the bulk of the console's lifetime sales, so...)

That rumor about a $500 PS4/Vita bundle sounds kind of good. They could push that as a higher-end Wii U-esque setup, more or less.
Well, I liked the Wii launch lineup so much that I ended up waiting outside of a store at 3 AM on launch day for a Wii! It was pretty fun, actually. And they gave us free coffee/hot chocolate and timbits/doughnuts in the morning. So sometimes investing in new tech day one can be a good thing. Didn't work out so well with the 3DS and Vita, but I was happy it worked out for Wii.

Huh... would you invest in a Vita, though? Most of the games I've liked for the platform have been DD-only, JP-only, or relatively niche.

Lurkers reading our thread and then stealing topics from us? We can't have anything. :(
It's cuz you didn't put a big fat TM in the thread title / OP, Beef.

Mm.

I wonder why that was.
I bet some guy spent 5 months working on a rock.

Also because they didn't know what the hell they were doing, going by that post-mortem article, lol.

Well, I liked the Wii launch lineup so much that I ended up waiting outside of a store at 3 AM on launch day for a Wii! It was pretty fun, actually. And they gave us free coffee/hot chocolate and timbits/doughnuts in the morning. So sometimes investing in new tech day one can be a good thing. Didn't work out so well with the 3DS and Vita, but I was happy it worked out for Wii.
Hey, I did that outside my local Target that night, too. Only time I've camped out for a console, and given how friggin' cold it was, probably will be the only time I do, too!

Glad I did, though. I could play Twilight Princess while most of America was just trying to find one of the damn things.

BlackJace

If I ended with a WiiU this holiday, that'll be one of the first things I get I guess.
Still not 100% sure though. That kick mechanic is so irritating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom