• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKrockin

There's one character who I don't like very much because he's completely dumb and it kind of adds up over time. Additionally, I heard that in the English version, Elise and Tipo fare worse.

But overall, I... kinda like this cast, and Tipo's my second-favourite Tales mascot character. It's one of the better narratives in the series. It's just that the game itself suffers because it's kind of dictated by the narrative and pacing of it (because of the push for better cinematic / better directed cutscenes in Tales). So it exists more to tell a story as opposed to letting the player explore the world a little more. That's partially why the fields are so barren, and why the sidequests are nothing more than fetch quests with some character quests (which can be missable, btw), sprinkled in.

A lot of the stuff like Tales staples (cameo battles in the arena, hot springs scenes, character quirkiness sidequests, etc) were simply stripped in order to tell a story. Titles don't even matter because they aren't something you equip. They're just things that tell you how your trophy / grade progression is going.

There is a reason why I said some people thought that this was the FF13 of Tales games, and why I said that I felt like Tales of Graces f was more of an anniversary game than Tales of Xillia ever was. I don't really like how streamlined it is, and how stripped down it is compared to other games in the series.
You're losing your touch Schala, I'm still hyped. Either that or the boiler has exploded and the hype train cannot be stopped. Wish me luck that the tracks don't stop over a cliff.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The EX dungeon fucking sucks because you have to traipse through maps that you've been through before only they have a colour filter and look brown.

Oh, and you have to do that THREE TIMES to completely clear the dungeon. So you have to keep going through the same maps over and over, and if you were doing the plat run for the game, you've been through those maps dozens of times.

I hate that EX dungeon so much.

You're losing your touch Schala, I'm still hyped. Either that or the boiler has exploded and the hype train cannot be stopped. Wish me luck that the tracks don't stop over a cliff.
It also doesn't help that I kind of like 5/6ths of the cast, and parts of the narrative in general, does it? :lol

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
...So it's basically Vesperia's EX dungeon?
Yup. Except I dislike this one more because the environments weren't great to begin with and I wish they didn't use the same concept again.

At least the Zone Cage did something interesting in comparison!

I want the Symphonia hd remake alreadyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
I'm not importing that this time.

...you know, I say that now...

Since Xillia has an actual sequel does that mean that instead of ending with the direct to DVD final act as per Tales tradition it just ends with a cliffhanger whimper leading to a full sequel of direct to DVD/Dawn of the New World levels of plot?

Noi

9454459634_6d03394154_c.jpg

This game be pretty, yo.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Since Xillia has an actual sequel does that mean that instead of ending with the direct to DVD final act as per Tales tradition it just ends with a cliffhanger whimper leading to a full sequel of direct to DVD/Dawn of the New World levels of plot?
To be honest, the last portion of the game really doesn't do that. It actually ends abruptly, but most of the plot's loose ends are tied up adequately. The sequel is pretty much like a Dawn of the New World sort of thing with two new main characters, with the previous cast supporting them. But it's a story that stands on its own in the Xillia universe.

I feel like the beginning of the game has weird pacing, but it picks up towards the end... but just ends, when we'd finally got to something interesting that the game was hinting at for a while. It's like if Tales of Symphonia ended after you got to Tethe'alla. This is a spoiler for the final dungeon, but if you're curious... (Tales of Xillia final dungeon spoilers)
the final dungeon is literally a straight path to the final boss; in essence, it's not even a final dungeon at all. You just take a warp, go through this one small branch area, and then go down the path to the final boss, which feels completely anticlimactic
. Now this is something that put me off the game a lot, and it's one of the largest reasons why people say the game feels unfinished, aside from a lot of the Tales staples not being in the game at all.

I thought Xillia 2 was a prequel.
Nope; sequel.

This game be pretty, yo.
Wow, that really does look good.

I imagine it looks even better... on... well, you know what I'm gonna say.

I didn't even know there was an EX dungeon. I thought it was cut like the other extras. Hype level raised again.
We can't put out this roaring fire of hype, talk of whatever new jargon likely exists to describe magic in this entry will just fan the flames further.

To be honest, the last portion of the game really doesn't do that. It actually ends abruptly, but most of the plot's loose ends are tied up adequately. The sequel is pretty much like a Dawn of the New World sort of thing with two new main characters, with the previous cast supporting them. But it's a story that stands on its own in the Xillia universe.

I feel like the beginning of the game has weird pacing, but it picks up towards the end... but just ends, when we'd finally got to something interesting that the game was hinting at for a while. It's like if Tales of Symphonia ended after you got to Tethe'alla. This is a spoiler for the final dungeon, but if you're curious... (Tales of Xillia final dungeon spoilers)
the final dungeon is literally a straight path to the final boss; in essence, it's not even a final dungeon at all. You just take a warp, go through this one small branch area, and then go down the path to the final boss, which feels completely anticlimactic
. Now this is something that put me off the game a lot, and it's one of the largest reasons why people say the game feels unfinished, aside from a lot of the Tales staples not being in the game at all.

When I often say that final dungeons in JRPGS could do with a bit of trimming down on length this wasn't quite the level of cutting down I had in mind!

Seeing how the sequel takes that angle actually makes me more intrigued in picking up Xillia when it goes down in price, I was a bit concerned about it not standing alone too well or something of the sort.

PKrockin

Ah... still, I guess that's better than a Skyward Sword-esque
"hey I'm just gonna put a warp point here in this nice peaceful grove, come have our final duel whenever I guess"
or a ridiculous, convoluted maze of a final dungeon with no easy way back out.

I'm gonna make an RPG where the final dungeon is just your party walking into the castle and the final boss just suckerpunches you, starting the battle.

BlackJace

So, Senran Kagura... anybody play the series? Dragon's Crown got me in a beat em up mood, so I'm wondering if the just announced Burst is worth it.

Ah... still, I guess that's better than a Skyward Sword-esque
"hey I'm just gonna put a warp point here in this nice peaceful grove, come have our final duel whenever I guess"
or a ridiculous, convoluted maze of a final dungeon with no easy way back out.
I thought Skyward Sword
built up to its finish well enough with the medium length sliding room dungeon, kind of annoyingly executed enemy horde and final Ghirahim fight, really it's just that this all occurs in locations you've already visited as well as Demise giving you a chance to grab some final lunch breaking the flow of all the above sections happening in succession.

I'm gonna make an RPG where the final dungeon is just your party walking into the castle and the final boss just suckerpunches you, starting the battle.
Sounds pretty awesome, I must admit.
I could get behind such a boss, no sitting on a fancy throne waxing poetic about being a God, just a stealthy kick to the nads, start off the fight with low health.

PKrockin

Will the party still have about 20 talks amongst themselves just before entering the castle about how this is it this is the final battle is everyone ready everyone talk about why the bad guy is bad again we should make our final preparations are you sure we're ready ok let's go and ensure a bright future for the world

Better yet, he attacks you in the middle of your big final boss speech. "I won't give in! The people of JRPGtown believe in me...and in my heart I believe in th--" *BOPPED*

see PKrockin has the right idea

Will the party still have about 20 talks amongst themselves just before entering the castle about how this is it this is the final battle is everyone ready everyone talk about why the bad guy is bad again we should make our final preparations are you sure we're ready ok let's go and ensure a bright future for the world

Better yet, he attacks you in the middle of your big final boss speech. "I won't give in! The people of JRPGtown believe in me...and in my heart I believe in th--" *BOPPED*

see PKrockin has the right idea

Actually the way I pictured it was the party is walking up to the castle. Protag asks if everyone is prepared, mentally and physically, and then as soon as he pushes the door open...

*KRAK*

The Protag just got kicked right in the skull, knocking him out of the battle for a few turns.

I like your guys' idea too, though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So, Senran Kagura... anybody play the series? Dragon's Crown got me in a beat em up mood, so I'm wondering if the just announced Burst is worth it.
A few people I know say that the Vita game is really good. The 3DS games are also apparently good. I was going to import Shinovi Versus until I saw the price and said nooooooo. I'll probably import a budget version down the line, then. I really want to play it since a lot of people who I usually trust with import impressions say it's good.

The reason why I'm looking at it is because it's by Tamsoft, the people behind Battle Arena Toshinden and Tokyo Beat Down. They also did Guardian's Crusade.

Fund it.

RPG of the Forever.

I'll give it all the good reviews in the world.

Beef, it should be a party of Chao warriors, screw the sucker punch, just throw the muhfuckas into a wall.

If it was a group of Chao Warriors, then I'd just dump them into a pit of lava. And I'd stick around for it too. None of that James Bond bullshit where he leaves early. I'm making sure that shit gets done.

If it was a group of Chao Warriors, then I'd just dump them into a pit of lava. And I'd stick around for it too. None of that James Bond bullshit where he leaves early. I'm making sure that shit gets done.

So no unnecessarily slow dipping mechanism and just assuming that it all goes to plan? some villain you are Beef, you'd drop the villain's creed to ensure chao murder, I guess that says it all really.

qq more

Probably a shallow opinion to hold, but I probably wouldn't play SK even if it was a great beat em up.

Same. There's tons of great beat em ups I can play instead without having to deal with the stupid perverted weeaboo crap.

EDIT: Honestly, T&E annoyed me enough with the pervertedness. I don't think SK would be enjoyable at all to me. lol

BlackJace

I mean, its sort of offputting because of..well you know, but I always tend to give those type of games a chance. If it was Versus, I would really be interested considering a friend of mine won't shut up about it.

Noi

Probably a shallow opinion to hold, but I probably wouldn't play SK even if it was a great beat em up.

Nah, that's totally fair. Even I'd have a hard time playing Shinovi Versus at my house without being both on my own and with headphones.

....Though personally, SKB being digital-only on 3DS is more offensive than any content in the game.

BlackJace

Nah, that's totally fair. Even I'd have a hard time playing Shinovi Versus at my house without being both on my own and with headphones.

....Though personally, SKB being digital-only on 3DS is more offensive than any content in the game.

Yeesh, it's like you read my mind.

So no unnecessarily slow dipping mechanism and just assuming that it all goes to plan? some villain you are Beef, you'd drop the villain's creed to ensure chao murder, I guess that says it all really.

No way, man. Besides, if I leave, then that means one of YOU guys might try to save them!

PKrockin

Personally it's such blatant, pathetic pandering it's kind of insulting.

"Ok, our last game didn't sell. Do a beat-em-up, but with underage girls' clothes ripping off. Those stupid otaku will buy anything with boobs. Then we can sell them figurines and bidy pillows."

BHZ Mayor

I thought Skyward Sword
built up to its finish well enough with the medium length sliding room dungeon, kind of annoyingly executed enemy horde and final Ghirahim fight, really it's just that this all occurs in locations you've already visited as well as Demise giving you a chance to grab some final lunch breaking the flow of all the above sections happening in succession.

The
enemy horde was annoying in how you were supposed feel like you were supposed to run through just mowing them down, but due to the mechanics you had to stop and strategically fight most of them. Kinda killed the mood and immersion tbh.

qq more

Aaaaaah, I need to update my Vita. Tales of Innocence R won't let me find a save point fast enough. ;-;

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=645767

"Schala, I want to see the Towa ending! You've gotta stream it!"

I never said it like that! I wanted to see how stupid the end game was

and jesus christ was it stupid

what were they thinking about EVERYTHING

i could go on how fucking awful everything is about that game

On the bright side, I don't have to hear that fuckin comedy theme anymore for the rest of my life.

No way, man. Besides, if I leave, then that means one of YOU guys might try to save them!
I ain't burning my feathers for Chao, i'm hardcore enough to have abandoned one into the wilderness even with the sad pic and music trying to deter me, I'll let them burn and shed one tear because I ain't no hero.

The
enemy horde was annoying in how you were supposed feel like you were supposed to run through just mowing them down, but due to the mechanics you had to stop and strategically fight most of them. Kinda killed the mood and immersion tbh.

Exactly my thoughts on it, nice idea but not executed that well at all, it's hardly a musou like experience.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I never said it like that! I wanted to see how stupid the end game was

and jesus christ was it stupid

what were they thinking about EVERYTHING

i could go on how fucking awful everything is about that game
You didn't play through the entire thing and didn't have to see the third chapter, though. The third chapter was just one HUGE MacGuffin quest that bored me to tears, and it made me finally learn that this game went 10-15fps in some places!

And you wanted me to waifu Towa instead of Toki. :p

"Which girl should I end with?"
"TOWA! She's soooo much better!"

On the bright side, I don't have to hear that fuckin comedy theme anymore for the rest of my life.
At least this theme was good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom