• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackJace

The second half of SMT4 got really easy

like stupid easy

not sure what to think about it

It's like a bell curve. Hard as fuck in the beginning, easier in the middle, then certain fights ramp back up in the end. The final bosses of my alignment route were complete pushovers, though.

The Master difficultly shows no mercy, even late game, so try that if you decide to play through it again.

I don't know a lot about Senran Kagura but my understanding is that it's a beat em up or something with a heap of juvenile fanservice. Ace Attorney meanwhile, for all its flippancy and general goofiness, is still a crime drama that deals with some mature themes amongst all the humour.

I would certainly rate the latter higher than the former if I were a classification board.

qq more

I don't know a lot about Senran Kagura but my understanding is that it's a beat em up or something with a heap of juvenile fanservice. Ace Attorney meanwhile, for all its flippancy and general goofiness, is still a crime drama that deals with some mature themes amongst all the humour.

I would certainly rate the latter higher than the former if I were a classification board.
Phoenix Wright was always rated T though...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The new PW game uses 3D models, though. That's why the ratings were upped. It's just like in the past how Final Fantasy VII had a warning on it for "realistic violence" because of the series' transition to 3D models, and subseqent offerings in the series used "animated violence" on the ESRB label.

This is not out of the ordinary for the ESRB at all.

And whatever, I'll play Senran Kagura. I don't really care because I've honestly heard good things about it. Why would I deprive myself of a video game based on aesthetics if it's enjoyable? No, I shouldn't say something like that. I probably would not play something based on its aesthetics or premise at times despite the gameplay systems being decent in some cases. Sometimes it's a real shame that decent mechanics can be overshadowed by the overall game direction in terms of narrative and characterization.

Noi

I think it's totally fair that, for once, a game relating to murder and "violent" themes is getting a harsher rating than one that has some junevile fanservice at worst.

Plus Burst isn't as fanservice-y as the Vita game. If /that/ one got a T rating, then I'd be surprised.

And whatever, I'll play Senran Kagura. I don't really care because I've honestly heard good things about it. Why would I deprive myself of a video game based on aesthetics if it's enjoyable?

Because the same people who warned against PxZ being not so hot have the same opinion on SKB. :v

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Because the same people who warned against PxZ being not so hot have the same opinion on SKB. :v
Oh really? Booooo, then.

Parakeetman also said that Mind = 0 is pretty awful, too. So that's going to be a budget import or when it its like $20 down the line for me. That's a shame because the game looked interesting to me.

qq more

Man, I really miss the Wheelie power up. Dream Land 3 is a good game though.

So I guess some of the people defending the game's gameplay are just looking for excuses to play a bad fanservice game? :V

Actually, how bad is the game? Or is it just average?

Noi

So I guess some of the people defending the game's gameplay are just looking for excuses to play a bad fanservice game? :V

Actually, how bad is the game? Or is it just average?

Just average. Remember that opinions are still opinions, so some people disliking it doesn't mean everyone will. But as far as I've gathered, the general opinion among SK fans is that Burst is average at best while Shinovi Versus is actually really good. Hell, even RyogaSaotome likes it, and he hates the ever loving hell out of Time and Eternity!

Shame that we're never getting the latter if XSeed are gonna use Burst sales as an indicator for more games. (´・_・`)

Parakeetman also said that Mind = 0 is pretty awful, too. So that's going to be a budget import or when it its like $20 down the line for me. That's a shame because the game looked interesting to me.

Despite that being the case, I thought it was a bit refreshing to see Aquire doing patches for a single player RPG to improve the user experience post release. You don't see many RPG developers ever bothering with patches like that.

qq more

I hate the Star Pieces stuff in Dream Land 3 so much. I'll go into detail why I hate it later. Right now it's just damn annoying, I don't think I'll bother 100%ing this game.

Noi

Man, I really miss the Wheelie power up. Dream Land 3 is a good game though.

I hate the Star Pieces stuff in Dream Land 3 so much. I'll go into detail why I hate it later. Right now it's just damn annoying, I don't think I'll bother 100%ing this game.

Sd5FnFw.jpg

qq more

I still think the game itself is good... at least the real meat of it. But man, those star pieces are nothing but trial and error BS. Not cool, HAL...

TheOGB

Banned
I'd play Senran Kagura on the same grounds as I'd play Dragon's Crown:

I just don't give a fuck, I want beat-em-ups ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I like that guy

And whatever, I'll play Senran Kagura. I don't really care because I've honestly heard good things about it. Why would I deprive myself of a video game based on aesthetics if it's enjoyable? No, I shouldn't say something like that. I probably would not play something based on its aesthetics or premise at times despite the gameplay systems being decent in some cases. Sometimes it's a real shame that decent mechanics can be overshadowed by the overall game direction in terms of narrative and characterization.

Sounds like this game is right up your alley then, Schala. :D

That said, I have been thinking of picking up SMTIV, mostly to get the $30 eShop credit and then put that toward AA5. Thing is, I wasn't really planning on getting SMTIV before this, so I'm wondering how good the game is. My only other experience with SMT is Persona 3, which I did enjoy a great deal but took me forever to beat.

Noi

Yeah, Layton x PW is more a Level-5 game than a Capcom game. Just like how PxZ is considered a Namco title despite featuring 2 other companies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
More like Level-5's done good, really.

AAI2's never coming out in English.
Yep.

Uh. I really hate that there isn't a summary thread for Nintendo Directs (seriously, I really do and the topics get spread around so much that some of them fall off the front page and onto page 3-4 and it's just why am I looking for these). Can someone summarize it for me quickly since I have a hair appointment to go to in a few minutes, please?

ShadiWulf

that latest cutscene... so much iizuka-san

utter eggman humiliation, he always seems to like to make eggman look bad, been doing it since SA1, lol, but this, wow. That's one of the worst humiliations eggman has ever gotten i think.

and those demonic six, they are just downright psycho and insane, the way they are animated too.. lol

BlackJace

JC we told you not to expect much from it. Everyone and their grandma knows the TGS one is legit.

Though them spending more time on Pikmin was asinine.

GAMERG0D

I like how they alluded to an AC game for Wii U because the Plaza service ends next year. Plus all those hi-res assets used in the Plaza...

Yep.

Uh. I really hate that there isn't a summary thread for Nintendo Directs (seriously, I really do and the topics get spread around so much that some of them fall off the front page and onto page 3-4 and it's just why am I looking for these). Can someone summarize it for me quickly since I have a hair appointment to go to in a few minutes, please?
Ehm, off the top of my head:

• Lost World release date re-revealed. 3DS-to-Wii U 2P connectivity functions revealed; 3DS player can build gadgets in Tails's workshop, and then use them in the Wii U version to help Sonic out in a stage (by collecting rings with a helicopter that Sonic doesn't have time to reach, for instance).
  • Rayman Legends was featured. Highlighted the Murfy segments, given that they are, as far as I know, Wii U (and Vita?) exclusive. Also, Rayman can dress up as Mario, and Globox as Luigi. It's cute.
  • Art Academy stuff.
  • Cut to the Nintendo Treehouse (Bill Trinnen? Not sure). Mario and Luigi Dream Team highlighted. Focus on badges, and how you can mix and match them for additional side effects.
  • Summer Carnival '92: RECCA is coming to 3DS VC at some point. Wario Land 3 is coming to the 3DS VC at the end of the month (shut up and take my money, Nintendo). So's SMB3, to both 3DS and Wii U, if you've been living under a rock or something. (I suppose it's the first portable SMB3 since SMA4?)
  • Professor Layton 6 shown off briefly.
  • "And that's all we have for now..." "OBJECTION!" "Oh, you're right! Layton's gonna be in TWO games: that one, and Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, both coming 2014! Here's an English trailer!"
  • Iwata comes back. "This is the Year of Luigi, so Sakurai's revealing Luigi before Smash launches instead of hiding him as a secret character. Surprise!"
  • Shows off the dual-world mechanics in A Link Between Worlds. Light World is pretty much LttP verbatim. Dark World, Iwata claims, looks different, but other than a river drying up to reveal a bottomless pit (woah), it still looks pretty much like LttP to me. However, you travel between them by finding thin cracks in the wall, doing your wall-walking move, and sliding the now-paper-thin Link into the crack, upon which he'll appear at the same point in the opposite world. I know a lot's rehashed, but there's just enough new stuff that I'm seriously interested in this.
  • Wind Waker HD talk. "This takes place a few months before Phantom Hourglass, so if you played that first, play this one!" Talk about streamlining the Triforce hunt at the end of the game and the sailing mechanics to make them move faster. No mention of the supposed "Hard Mode", or why I want to put $60 on a game I beat in 2003 or so.
  • Animal Crossing Wii U app from now until late 2014. Basically the Warawara Plaza (they need a better English name for that) that you see when you boot up the Wii U, but now focused entirely on Animal Crossing characters. Also, a Miiverse community for the game; this app lets you upload photos from the 3DS game to Miiverse, via the SD card port on both units. Nifty, but I don't care much about Animal Crossing.
  • Wonderful 101 ND on Friday.
  • Also, the European one showed off KORG for the 3DS, and several indie games coming to the Wii U. The NA one did not.

I might be forgetting something.

The American Direct got a M&L badge tutorial? due to certain events in the game I find that kind of hilarious.

So anyway i'm pretty chuffed to see Orbot and Cubot again, old Eggers didn't just leave them to drift in Space.

Tizoc

The American Direct got a M&L badge tutorial? due to certain events in the game I find that kind of hilarious.

So anyway i'm pretty chuffed to see Orbot and Cubot again, old Eggers didn't just leave them to drift in Space.

I ended up liking them thanks to the comic series. What still boggles my mind to this day is how they managed to get Deco and Boco as Eggman's robolackies in Sonic X; they originally appeared in a Japanese anime series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A9jLWHusDs

Also MOON THEME!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wihyFSQhL4

Yep.

Luigi in Smash Bros. Get hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom