• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aw fuck, it seems I've missed a lot since I've slept. BlackJace is banned?! How long is he banned for? :(

Eh shouldn't be too lon-

image.php

Who the hell are you?

I don't want to leave a good rant standing alone but i'm still reeling from the idea that Sciz would favour NSMB DS over Wii, suffice to say I disagree, strongly, vehemently.
I will however agree that fake walls are cack.

...Why bother making a variant cover if you're just going to make the art so fucking terrible?

The way the death egg looking thing is staring in shock at the gangly Sonic crew is pretty much perfect, I think I pulled the same face.

Just got in from my first day of work. Man, am I tired.

Gonna be an unbelievable hypocrite for a moment here: I'm kinda getting an overwhelming urge to get Ducktales HD just because of some issues I've had with seeing footage of the game. Mainly involving tone and the juxtaposition of two very distinct branches of nostalgia the game seems to be bad at juggling. Anyway, I kinda want to see if I'm right about that.

Game looks fun itself, but yeah.

You mean doing a bad job of juggling nostalgia for the original NES game and nostalgia for the actual cartoon? If so, then yeah, I agree. It's something that's gotten a lot more apparent with each new video of the game, and it seems detrimental to the game's quality as a whole. I think it'll still turn out okay, but there's definitely some cause for concern there.

Aeana did him in for what looked like some silliness in the "SMTIV or P4G" thread. Doubt it's a perm, can't see BlackJace having a troubled history.

Oh wow, that's unfortunate. Can't imagine it'll be a long one, though.

That intro music. You've suddenly kicked off a marathon of watching old Thomas episodes on youtube. It's almost embarrassing to admit how hopelessly addicted I was to watching Thomas as a kid. Hell, they're the thing that got me kickstarted on speaking English period.

Edit: I see that I'm not alone!

Yoooo, we're having a non ironic Thomas the Tank Engine love fest in here? I knew you guys were fucking awesome.

You mean doing a bad job of juggling nostalgia for the original NES game and nostalgia for the actual cartoon? If so, then yeah, I agree. It's something that's gotten a lot more apparent with each new video of the game, and it seems detrimental to the game's quality as a whole. I think it'll still turn out okay, but there's definitely some cause for concern there.

Yeah, that's exactly my problem. It's just fucking bizarre seeing footage from the Himalayas level and seeing the drawn-out cutscene with Scrooge and McQuack with the proper voices and all (actually I dunno if Launchpad has the same voice, but w/e), then seeing the player get into the level proper and having this crazy guitar riff come in out of nowhere. It doesn't fit at all. Don't get me wrong, I love the new mixes, but I like them more as someone's OCRemix project or something than how they're actually presented in-game. And that's before you get into the insanity of putting cutscenes inside a 30-minute NES platformer.

Personally, I think they're mad for playing so much on nostalgia for the cartoon, because once you got past the start menu literally none of that game's charms come from the source material. It's a beloved NES game that just so happens to be based on a Disney cartoon. But I guess that's the problem with remaking a game based on a dead 80s spin-off cartoon; Disney's gonna come down and use this one opportunity they're gonna get to satiate their old-school Disney Afternoon fans who never get any love.

Yeah, that's exactly my problem. It's just fucking bizarre seeing footage from the Himalayas level and seeing the drawn-out cutscene with Scrooge and McQuack with the proper voices and all (actually I dunno if Launchpad has the same voice, but w/e), then seeing the player get into the level proper and having this crazy guitar riff come in out of nowhere. It doesn't fit at all. Don't get me wrong, I love the new mixes, but I like them more as someone's OCRemix project or something than how they're actually presented in-game. And that's before you get into the insanity of putting cutscenes inside a 30-minute NES platformer.

Personally, I think they're mad for playing so much on nostalgia for the cartoon, because once you got past the start menu literally none of that game's charms come from the source material. It's a beloved NES game that just so happens to be based on a Disney cartoon. But I guess that's the problem with remaking a game based on a dead 80s spin-off cartoon; Disney's gonna come down and use this one opportunity they're gonna get to satiate their old-school Disney Afternoon fans who never get any love.

Yeah, pretty much. While I do appreciate the sentiment as a massive fan of both the cartoon and the game, the cartoon nostalgia really shouldn't have taken precedence over the actual game.

Like, if there was an option to not just skip cutscenes, but completely disable them, allowing for one to play through the game OG style, I wouldn't really have an issue, but like you said, the way it's all presented as is just makes everything flow really weirdly.

Sciz

I don't want to leave a good rant standing alone but i'm still reeling from the idea that Sciz would favour NSMB DS over Wii, suffice to say I disagree, strongly, vehemently.

Aside from not being a completely derivative mixed bag, I prefer the item reserve system to the inventory, and NSMB DS has better pacing in a variety of ways. The gameplay speed is a hair faster in general; Mario moves about the same, but monsters and moving parts aren't quite so sluggish since the game doesn't have to accommodate four players. The levels are shorter, not so tiny as SMB3's but not so long that they ever start to drag. And most importantly, the ratio of Mario's size to the screen's size is much closer to how it was on the NES and SNES compared to how goddamn tiny he is in NSMBW.

Being zoomed out too much is a Bad Thing: you can't hide anything offscreen when the camera shows the entire X or Y axis at once, and it's harder to surprise the player with any upcoming obstacle when he's got two seconds to see it coming instead of one. It makes the player spend more mental time on planning ahead instead just reacting moment-to-moment, which probably explains the headache I was getting near the end there. You can counter the problem in a few ways, and NSMBW uses all of them. You can drop stuff down from the top of the screen, since it's a shorter distance and thus harder to see coming. You can pad the levels out with larger platforms and some repetition of content to keep more than one room or mechanic from being relevant and visible at a time which is good for multiplayer anyway, although it causes the dragging issue mentioned above. Or you can hide part of the screen from the player outright, which is where all the clouds and darkness and fake walls I was griping about earlier come into play.

Or you can just zoom the camera back in to a more reasonable point and wipe all of those problems out in one go. It's the inverse of the problem Mega Man 7 has where the game is too zoomed in and you don't have enough room and maneuver and see what's coming.

NSMB DS doesn't know what it wants to be, but at least it isn't fighting core mechanical issues the whole way through. Plus, dem sweet brass licks.

What the fuck is going on with the left cover?

Archie has this bad habit of digging up semi-notable guest artists for the variant covers who have no idea how to draw for the series. This month's appears to be this guy. Ironically, the people they source straight from deviantArt are usually pretty good.

Kokonoe

Banned
Happy Birthday Kokonoe!

Here's a Bulbasaur cake!

AF35ZyG.jpg

Haha! Awesome.

Happy birthday Kokonoe! Make sure you come back to page 276 after Lost World comes out to read these :V

Thanks for the heads up, I was able to dodge it.

Happy Koko Day!

Happy birthday Kokonoe, August is the best month for birthdays!

Happy birthday Kokonoe
221920_200860213286615_100000879124488_533038_3759276_n.jpg

Happy Birthday, Kokonoe! Perhaps one day you shall see this posts after Lost World is released. :eek:

That cake looks like it would taste like grass
and poison

Happy Birthday Kokonoe.

once again...

zIVZj.gif

Thanks everyone! =) I'm 23 years old today, guess I be gettin' oooooold.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Happy birthday, Kokonoe. I'd post a cake, but qq more had that covered. :p (Because he used the same idea I had, that jerk)

Also, that variant cover looks like ass. Who approved that?

I think so too. I ended up watching the Quick Look for that game, and I was like... Well, I couldn't really believe how slow it was. The dialogue is so painfully slow, but the thing about the DuckTales NES game wasn't that it was based on the cartoon. It was that it was a legitimately good game in its own right. You didn't care about references to the cartoon at all, because the game had a few things going for it.

It was the first licensed game that Capcom developed on its own. It had some Mega Man staff on it like Keiji Inafune, Yoshihiro Sakaguchi, and Tokuro Fujiwara. The game was noted for its decent game design back then, despite its shortness and its lack of difficulty. So that's what you've gotta look at DuckTales as. A faithful reproduction of the Mega Man architecture and a good game in general. When I think of DuckTales NES, I don't think of DuckTales the cartoon at all. Even back then, Disney oversaw the development and look how nicely it turned out.

I kind of hope that the music jives well with it, but from what I saw of the quick look, well...

In college, I learned to be okay with B's and C's...I've had a few classes taught by teachers who seemed to really really hate giving out A's and made it their goal that A's were hardly earned.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't know about American colleges/universities, but in Canada, they usually follow a curve. They can only give up so many As (not a lot), so many Bs, a lot of Cs, so many Ds and so many Fs. And they usually strive to meet that number whether the professors like it or not. Sometimes if your grade is equivalent to an A-, you might get bumped down to a B+ because they gave out all their As already. Not even kidding about this; it happens. That's why whenever you get hired as a TA, even if you grade the students' work or quizzes, the prof has to check it over to make sure you didn't give them a higher grade than they would.

I remember taking a Mammalian Physiology course a few years ago. The class average was 78 or so in the end. The faculty said that was a huge problem because class averages in the school with that class size (and it was a sophomore class) should never be that high, so they had to call the professor in for a meeting to explain why the average was so high and allow people to keep their grades. Mind you, the exams were multiple choice, so it isn't a case of easy grading here and there. (But the exams were so easy compared to a lot of the exams I took at the school since almost every exam was designed to ask you the most obscure question; these exams just asked you the material on the class slides).

Conversely, one of my last Latin classes had about 7 people at the beginning, which ended up dropping to 4-5 people at the end. The class average was 88. Faculty didn't care because the class size was so small and it was a senior class anyway.

I had a conversation with one of my former profs a few years ago, who did say that Ivy League schools have a tendency to inflate their students' grades for the prestige, much like how one of our schools in Canada does for the same reason. Though the school I'd went to was a more of a research/publication school. The school I'm currently going to is relatively new and I honestly like that there isn't a huge standard to live up to outside of having a huge focus on STEM programs for men and women (like, we barely have humanities programs at all).

*shrug* My GPA for my junior and senior years was important to me because I wanted to go to graduate school... though I'm not sure the tons and tons of stress was probably worth it.

BHZ Mayor

I don't know about American colleges/universities, but in Canada, they usually follow a curve. They can only give up so many As (not a lot), so many Bs, a lot of Cs, so many Ds and so many Fs. And they usually strive to meet that number whether the professors like it or not. Sometimes if your grade is equivalent to an A-, you might get bumped down to a B+ because they gave out all their As already. Not even kidding about this; it happens. That's why whenever you get hired as a TA, even if you grade the students' work or quizzes, the prof has to check it over to make sure you didn't give them a higher grade than they would.

I remember taking a Mammalian Physiology course a few years ago. The class average was 78 or so in the end. The faculty said that was a huge problem because class averages in the school with that class size (and it was a sophomore class) should never be that high, so they had to call the professor in for a meeting to explain why the average was so high and allow people to keep their grades. Mind you, the exams were multiple choice, so it isn't a case of easy grading here and there. (But the exams were so easy compared to a lot of the exams I took at the school since almost every exam was designed to ask you the most obscure question; these exams just asked you the material on the class slides).

That sounds obscenely stupid.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That sounds obscenely stupid.
That professor ended up leaving her position at the school because she really disliked having to deal with the faculty all the time because her class averages were just high. It's a real shame because she was very good at teaching, and whenever she had new research to share, she would insert it into the lecture or explain concepts to you from other classes.

The school I currently go to doesn't give a shit about that sort of thing, and they encourage high class averages (possibly for some recognition, but hey, if I benefit from that, that's great). Regardless of the fact that for my program anything under a certain grade depending on the course is deemed a fail so you've gotta get a high grade anyway, I really like the smaller class sizes and emphasis on letting you get the grade you rightfully earned because you have more one-on-one interaction with people who actually work hands-on in the field as opposed to just doing research and publishing papers the field.

It's one thing to go to the other school for a sense of prestige and the school's legacy, but when they consistently stress you out to the point of not having a social life/skipping meals/not getting sleep and emphasizing constant study because you've gotta get the A that they may not let you get, it's absolutely frustrating. Those years were not good for my personal health at all.

PKrockin

In the US, I think it's mostly law schools that grade on a curve like that.

I never liked grading on a curve because I've been in classes where everyone was motivated and classes where clearly not a single person in that room gave a shit.

I'm just so glad I'm no longer in college...though to be honest, I think sometimes not everyone needs to be pushed to go to college. Trade schools might be better off for others.

Or an apprenticeship!

Or the military!

Or marry some rich person!

Just have SOME plan goddamnit...I know too many people in the same damn place they were 4-5 years ago, multiple kids, still working at Home Depot

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm just so glad I'm no longer in college...though to be honest, I think sometimes not everyone needs to be pushed to go to college. Trade schools might be better off for others.
This. And trades earn you lots of cash here. One of my friends went to school for plumbing and he earns more money a year than some of my friends in nursing or engineering (depends on what field they're in, though). Another one went to school to be an electrician and he has lots of job security. Additionally, we have private institutions like Herzing, Everest, Trillium, etc. Their programs typically last for 1-2 years with an internship and then you can work afterwards as you have certification. I know lots of people who ended up doing that after they realized college/uni wasn't for them and they're working full-time now. It's also much cheaper than a college diploma/uni degree.

So no, school isn't for everyone at all. It's certainly beneficial to go to school to get a piece of paper, but not every school is going to give you a piece of paper + an internship that'll let you get some job experience. Hell, I know a few people who went to the military college or just straight-up joined the military right out of high school, and they're pretty damn successful (though some don't like that they move often). Some went on to take on apprenticeships instead. Point is, they're out of school and they're working already... and they have no loans to pay off because the military supported them throughout school. But the military option isn't for everyone either.

Oh, and Canada separates Colleges from Universities. Universities are where you go to pursue degrees, and you generally have less hands-on opportunities. In my... 7 years of going to university, I can say that they moreso prepare you for something in academia. Colleges offer more hands-on courses, and they let people pursue diplomas or certificates... but they're more career-oriented than academically-focused.

Additionally, Ontario high schools offer different branches depending on if you want to pursue college, trades, apprenticeships, or university. There are courses designed for people who want to go right into the workplace/apprenticeships right after high school, courses designed specifically for people who want to go to college, and courses designed specifically for people who want to go to university. So I took (Uni English, Uni Religion (Catholic school; had to take religion for 4 years), Uni Calculus, Uni Chem, Uni Bio, Uni Physics, Uni Stats, Uni Discrete, etc.). Certain classes were only available to each branch. Some classes were for both types of students. Some classes were open to all three types of students. I didn't like the segregation much, since a lot of my friends were in the college-level classes, but it kind of ensured that things weren't too hard for everyone. Plus everyone has to take the same standardized tests in the form of the literacy test and the math test.

Honestly, if I'd known so many years ago that I didn't want to be a doctor (and that I wasn't going to be able to be a speech-language pathologist), I would have gone to college for something and then would've been working earlier + got job experience. My current university is a combination of uni+college, and I love the hands-on approach very much.

I kind of feel bad for some of my buddies in the Ph.D. program because they still don't know wtf they want to do and are just going to school still because they have nothing else to do! At the end, they're going to have lots of loans to pay back, but employment in academia isn't a sure-fire thing at all. Not from what I heard. One of my friends used to teach at the university I graduated from, and he ended up moving several times because getting tenure/having stable employment is difficult in academia. This guy has a family to support now, so it's kind of a shame for him to constantly move.

I was offered by my uncle to stay with him in Brooklyn if I chose to go to New York for school two years ago, but I'd have to get relicensed if I came back to Canada to work. I heard American schools are a little more relaxed than ours in terms of requirements, and that's something I would've liked, tbh.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Anyone get DuckTales yet and play around with it enough to say something about it?

I'm getting the boxed version next week because boxes are neato. But I could always wait if there's some unfavourable stuff about it.

Noi

I have it downloaded and ready to go, but I'm too busy grinding my life away in Dynasty Warriors right now. Maybe tomorrow.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The Mario & Luigi Dream Team tutorial complaints seem kind of unfounded so far on the basis that you can skip them or A your way through them? Like, select "No" and you don't have to go through the tutorial? I can see some people getting irritated that you have to say "no" a lot, but this is a lot like Bowser's Inside Story so far, and I really don't see a problem here given that the tutorials are tailored for newcomers.

I have to say that I love the NPC dialogue, too. "Visiting person!" and a few others got a chuckle out of me.

This is so much better than Sticker Star so far.

Oscar Worthy Choices That Have A Big And Meaningful Impact On The Story

tumblr_mobnx7utc81qijc81o1_500.png

oh gosh everything depends on this moment can I pull both triggers at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom