• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So much Luigi. Even my 3DS has Dark Moon in there. It ain't bad so far. I was so tired last night that I went to bed at 12:30 and didn't get to play much of it. :/

Yeah, I even bought the guide even though I mightn't use it. So interesting that it's small, though. It's about the size of one of my smaller philosophy textbooks.

dsc00866bdlpv.jpg

Yeah, I even bought the guide even though I mightn't use it. So interesting that it's small, though. It's about the size of one of my smaller philosophy textbooks.

I'm surprised they even made a guide for the game seeing how it has an in built guide for the entire game to begin with.

YOHOHOHO TUTORIAL JOKE!

This made my morning. And to think I overslept for class today so I just uploaded the video this morning.
Slightly tangential, but I'm so sick of hearing "it's going back to its roots" with regards to this series. It's not that the roots aren't worth going back to; it's that we've been promised that so many times now that it's completely meaningless, especially when some of those "going back to the roots!" games were pretty far removed from them (Sonic 2K6, for example, where you can't even jump into enemies).

So much Luigi. Even my 3DS has Dark Moon in there. It ain't bad so far. I was so tired last night that I went to bed at 12:30 and didn't get to play much of it. :/

dsc00866bdlpv.jpg

Really want to get Dream Team, but I need to first get BiS.

That said, I have been enjoying my 3DS XL a lot. Such a difference. I even took some pictures of it but I'm too lazy to post them here.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I wouldn't say that. Some not in the demographic like Sonic, but they just happen to like Mario far more. Like Bean, for example. Or others like Shadow Hog just really like Sonic enough to work on fan material.

With that said, what was the demographic like for the Genesis in America in the past, anyway?

You went Hollywood, so you're safe. Enjoy your penthouse suite, Schala. I'll be here in this cardboard box.
If I make you brownies, will you forgive me? ;-;

Shhh, don't tell anyone.

You are a rare and mystical creature, like an Abra that doesn't teleport away.
(ღ˘‿˘ღ)

This made my morning. And to think I overslept for class today so I just uploaded the video this morning.
Okay, that's funny:

w3F4bgW.png

I didn't even notice until I noticed the animations and the eyes, lol.

I'm guessing the Genesis's main demo was INSANE PEOPLE, considering the SNES in the US got all the cool shit. Unlike here, where Nintendo basically bent over thanks to not bringing over any JRPGs.

I'm guessing the Genesis's main demo was INSANE PEOPLE, considering the SNES in the US got all the cool shit. Unlike here, where Nintendo basically bent over thanks to not bringing over any JRPGs.
Genesis got plenty of cool shit, though. It was a bit weaker in terms of RPGs, true, but it had tons of platformers, shmups, fighting games etc, and one of the biggest draws in the US was its much more comprehensive library of sports games (which actually means nothing to me, since I was in it for the platformers, but it must be noted all the same).

Are the Sonic Retro forums down for anyone else? I keep getting this message that I don't have access to the forums.
Works for me.

What I want to know is why no NeoGAF page wants to finish loading anymore. ABP's off as it always is for GAF, and since I try to allow everything NoScript complains about wrt GAF, that's not showing anything blocked, either. Something just keeps loading and loading and loading and loading and loading... Firefox claims it's from pagead2.googlesyndication.com, but that could be anything.

I do gather EA Sports was pretty much born on the Genesis. Also, bloody Mortal Kombat.

Obviously both consoles felt equal at the time, I just consider a lot of the SNES library to be far more influential on the medium as a whole. Obviously the Mega Drive had plenty of iconic games but I can't think of many that actually felt important at the time. Meanwhile, I'd have killed to have grown up alongside games like A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Starwing, FF6, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound... the things those games were doing with graphics and sound and narrative is insane for its time.

But that's hindsight for you. I'm guessing no-one can really wager the importance of a game at the time of its release.

I still have no idea what trademark "Star Fox" was supposed to be in conflict with, over there.

Although "Lylat Wars" was certainly an interesting name to use to work around it.

TheOGB

Banned
The things that'll get you banned from GAF seem so solid in theory and nebulous in practice to me that I have no idea what I'd get banned for if I did

just like real life

Noi

I was an SNES kid growing up, but I was the type who, when prompted to pick between the Spawn SNES game and the Scooby Doo one for his birthday gift, picked the latter.

It was a surprisingly good game and I own a boxed copy of it even now!

Noi

That intro music. You've suddenly kicked off a marathon of watching old Thomas episodes on youtube. It's almost embarrassing to admit how hopelessly addicted I was to watching Thomas as a kid. Hell, they're the thing that got me kickstarted on speaking English period.

Edit: I see that I'm not alone!

...Typing that, I'm suddenly reminded that I was the proud owner of this little gem.

I used to play this for hours every day without getting tired until it just didn't work anymore.
Tim Follin did this soundtrack.

Seriously.

And I used to watch Shining Time Station all the friggin' time, back in the day, so I was quite intimate with Thomas the Tank Engine. (And because my name is Thomas, I was also quite intimate with being called "Thomas the Tank Engine". Not a particularly good insult on the part of the insulter, looking back on it.)

Noi

...Wait, he's called "The Fat Controller" in the UK? Eff that, Sir Topham Hatt 4 life.

Edit: "James' driver and fireman were feeling him all over to see if he was hurt."

...*snrk*

Sciz

incoming rant

NSMB Wii is... eeeeeeeeh. I think I've come out the other end of it liking NSMB DS more, for all its warts. For the most part is really is an uprezzed version of the original with slightly more refined level design, and it's worse in some ways. The handful of enemy types in DS that were still a little bit dangerous (e.g. Bloopers, Fire Snakes) got nerfed, and the kind of interesting SM64 holdovers were axed in favor of dredging up more stuff from SMB3 and World in lesser forms. Stuff like the red coin rings and end of level flagpoles were also nerfed, removing even the pleasure of conquering those irrelevant challenges.

SMW's spin jump is back, but it can't bounce off of dangerous enemies anymore and breaking bricks is still the domain of the boring-ass ground pound, so like the also returning Yoshi, it's but a shadow of its former glory. There's some fun to be had in using the mid-air spin borrowed from Galaxy to pull off otherwise impossible maneuvers, but the game never actually asks it of you.

Powerup selection is better, although not without its issues. The ice flower is pretty awesome, putting the power of the old throwable white blocks in your hands along with serving as a way to make impromptu platforms. The propeller suit is easily the series' worst flight powerup, sporting all of a double jump and a momentum-killing slow fall; the flying squirrel suit from U is a much better implementation of the idea. It also isn't very common, so you're generally using one of the flowers anyway, or one of the propeller blocks scattered around for the sole purpose of making the suit redundant. Then there's the penguin suit, which kicks ass by combining the best attributes of the ice flower, frog suit, and shell suit. Unfortunately they don't exist outside of worlds 3 and 4 and the one ice level in 9, so like the tanooki and hammer brother suits in SMB3, the idea's a bit wasted. And the mini mushroom survived being cut and is more fun than ever thanks to the Galaxy spin, but it's also basically nonexistent.

The game's Big New Idea is rotation: Terrain rotates, platforms rotate, blocks rotate, pipes rotate, everything can rotate. And does. All over the place. It's inescapable. You'll want stuff to just hold still and stop fucking gently bobbing back and forth, and it won't. You'll want to get on with playing the game and you can't because you have to wait for the platform to rotate. When the game isn't rotating, it's overusing good old moving platforms like they're going out of style, so one way or another you end up spending a lot of time just standing around waiting for shit to get into position. It's devastating to the game's pacing. The lesser New Idea is the concept of obscuring the player's vision, and it's generally unfun. There's a selection of dark levels, but the only good one is the first, which is full of fireballs and invincibility stars to light the way. Then there's clouds all over the place, which mostly exist to get you to shake the controller even more than you already are and serve the exact same purpose as the fake walls. This game loves fake walls. They're everywhere, and nine times out of ten they're also signposted with misaligned tiles or distinctive textures like you're playing DOOM, but that sort of mechanic barely works in a 2D environment (Commander Keen is still best-in-class in that department). The best ones are the few that aren't obvious, or where the level designer manages to distract the player with something else at the same time, but most of them are very lazily placed and functionally highlight secrets instead of obscuring them.

And then there's little things, like how warp cannons are even more poorly placed than they were in NSMB DS, and how you're stuck playing as hatless Mario most of the time because lives are so plentiful and there's no way to toggle the effect off, and how shake and tilt functionality is shoehorned in like every other Wii game.

The game hits higher highs than its predecessor, but also lower lows, and in general you've already seen everything it has to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom