• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKrockin

Vamp is the worst Metal Gear character to ever exist. FUCK VAMP.

The only thing I hate about MGS4 so far is that asshole. Other than that I love this game. So far it's my favorite MGS game [/controversial opinion?]

Well, Vamp did make me laugh a lot...

A lot of people loved the first third or so of MGS4 and they say it goes downhill from there. Having only watched ChipCheezum's let's play despite owning the game, I agree, although it does have good moments later.

qq more

Really? I'm near the end of Act 4 and I'm liking the game more and more as I play it. But hey I also love the shit out of Peace Walker meanwhile it's apparently not that well received by fans. :V

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I should've picked something better as a palate cleanser, though. Halfway through, I was getting bored watching cutscene after cutscene. Really should've picked a Tales game or another RPG that's more engaging. I try to pick stuff that's in English because I know you guys won't get anything out of it if it's all Japanese.

And Neptunia Victory being completely chatty at the beginning bored me. And the framerate. The framerate being bad wasn't my fault. It was the game. And the camera. omg. Just. aaaaaaaaaa.

PKrockin

I should've picked something better as a palate cleanser, though. Halfway through, I was getting bored watching cutscene after cutscene. Really should've picked a Tales game or another RPG that's more engaging. I try to pick stuff that's in English because I know you guys won't get anything out of it if it's all Japanese.

And Neptunia Victory being completely chatty at the beginning bored me. And the framerate. The framerate being bad wasn't my fault. It was the game. And the camera. omg. Just. aaaaaaaaaa.

You wanted a palate cleanser after Time and Eternity and you settled on a game focused on fanservice?

Schala, pls. Stop doing this to yourself. You're hurting yourself.

No offense, but by that point I'd long since tuned into Diabetus's stream instead. Just didn't want to miss it, y'know?

BTW, I'm serious, Day of the Tentacle is freakin' awesome. Probably my favorite LucasArts game and Tim Schafer game (Psychonauts comes close, but not quite), and a definite example of time travel in video games done right; you have to do events in past time periods to affect the status of things in the future ones, or use devices available in future ones to solve puzzles in past ones. Really ingenious stuff. Also helps that, while the game was already quite funny when I was a wee tot, the humor only got better as I got older and understood more of what they were poking fun of. One of the greatest tragedies of LucasArts getting shut down with the Disney buy-out is that they'll never do a Special Edition of it like they did the first two Monkey Island games. Seriously, check it out. Educate yourself!

I like the gameplay systems in MGS4, the problem is that you barely get to use them. The first act or two are okay, the bit where you tail the resistance dude through the city is neat and the
Rex vs Ray fight
are pretty cool but the gamplay/cutscene ratio is completely out of whack compared to earlier games which wouldn't really be a problem if they were up to standard but it just feels like Kojima wanted to warp everything up and shit on as many characters as possible to screw with the people that demanded he make the game.

I don't really like what it reveals about the MGS3 supporting cast either
Para-Medic in particular; can't see the leap from "cool chick you'd want to have movie nights with" to "inhumane scientist monster"
, and Raiden's "development" feels like a silly kneejerk reaction to the "waaah pathetic prettyboy" whinging throwing everything from MGS2 out and making him a cool animu badarse just to sate those people. Can't complain so much about that one when we got Revengeance as a result, though.

The opening sequence is pretty much perfect, though.

Also fuck Johnny Sasaki. Stupidest shit ever.

qq more

To be fair, MGS2 was a very stupid game. It had its moments but every character was nearly unlikable. Also it introduced Vamp. Fuck Vamp.

I'm probably the only one here who did not mind Johnny. :V

Noi

I like the gameplay systems in MGS4, the problem is that you barely get to use them. The first act or two are okay, the bit where you tail the resistance dude through the city is neat and the
Rex vs Ray fight
are pretty cool but the gamplay/cutscene ratio is completely out of whack compared to earlier games which wouldn't really be a problem if they were up to standard but it just feels like Kojima wanted to warp everything up and shit on as many characters as possible to screw with the people that demanded he make the game.

I don't really like what it reveals about the MGS3 supporting cast either
Para-Medic in particular; can't see the leap from "cool chick you'd want to have movie nights with" to "inhumane scientist monster"
, and Raiden's "development" feels like a silly kneejerk reaction to the "waaah pathetic prettyboy" whinging throwing everything from MGS2 out and making him a cool animu badarse just to sate those people. Can't complain so much about that one when we got Revengeance as a result, though.

Also fuck Johnny Sasaki. Stupidest shit ever.

The opening sequence is pretty much perfect, though.

Don't forgot
Sigint being the DARPA Chief.
I was all wooooooooooah at that at first, then I thought about it and realized how fucking stupid that was.

To be fair, MGS2 was a very stupid game. It had its moments but every character was nearly unlikable. Also it introduced Vamp. Fuck Vamp.

Fatman makes up for any other character problems with MGS2. Bladin' like a boss. Also Snake's turn as Pliskin is cool.

Don't forgot
Sigint being the DARPA Chief.
I was all wooooooooooah at that at first, then I thought about it and realized how fucking stupid that was.

I kinda saw that one coming since the end of Snake Eater says he
joined ARPA
. Pretty easy to extrapolate from there, even if it is silly
"the two important black guys in the series are actually the one guy"
stuff.

qq more

Fatman makes up for any other character problems with MGS2. Bladin' like a boss. Also Snake's turn as Pliskin is cool.

Oh yeah. Fatman was so ridiculous he was great, he's actually one of my fav MGS villains for that reason. Haha. I think he's the only Dead Cell member I actually like. Pliskin was pretty awesome even though it was so obviously who he was.

I liked Solidus Snake too.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
No offense, but by that point I'd long since tuned into Diabetus's stream instead. Just didn't want to miss it, y'know?
Don't worry about it. Halfway through I was kind of starting to get bored, myself.

But hey, I got a better streaming solution in OBS since I tested it out afterwards, realizing that everything kept stuttering, so OBS works better than XSplit. And it's a good thing, too, since the audio codec I was using with XSplit Free wasn't mp3 or AAC--the types Twitch looks for now. And I guess I had to take my stream down to something that my upload speed liked (my upload was 0.59 Mbps, so I needed to make the bitrate considerably lower... and I can now stream with more than 25fps, so that's a good). With that said, though, the resolution will be smaller.

So... g'bye XSplit. I guess.

I think we need to give Schala an intervention.
I thought you guys already knew I played bad games! It's not my fault they keep releasing them. D:

You wanted a palate cleanser after Time and Eternity and you settled on a game focused on fanservice?

Schala, pls. Stop doing this to yourself. You're hurting yourself.
The thing is, I kinda liked the second game, even if it was fanservice galore. I skipped all of the text or used the skip function for it, and just played it for its battle system. Since I was streaming Victory this time, I ended up... reading all of the text. Which was zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Outside of that, the battle system really isn't that bad. Positioning matters, and every enemy has a guard to break in order to deal adequate damage to them. It's just unfortunate that some of them are HP bulletsponges.

But the story, dialogue, and voice acting... oh my god... I don't usually pay attention to it, but now that I am, it's really irritating. It drives me bonkers. It's Cutscenes: The Video Game.... with shit I fucking hate in RPGs and anime. I'm not even exaggerating. I genuinely can't stand that garbage.

Sciz

BTW, I'm serious, Day of the Tentacle is freakin' awesome. Probably my favorite LucasArts game and Tim Schafer game (Psychonauts comes close, but not quite), and a definite example of time travel in video games done right; you have to do events in past time periods to affect the status of things in the future ones, or use devices available in future ones to solve puzzles in past ones. Really ingenious stuff. Also helps that, while the game was already quite funny when I was a wee tot, the humor only got better as I got older and understood more of what they were poking fun of. One of the greatest tragedies of LucasArts getting shut down with the Disney buy-out is that they'll never do a Special Edition of it like they did the first two Monkey Island games. Seriously, check it out. Educate yourself!
I'm not sure what prompted this but he's 100% right.

PKrockin

I looked up Neptunia Victory cutscenes on Youtube and within minutes was so bored I got started zoning out while clipping my toenails.

The localization and voice acting... are you sure this isn't a fan translation?

Tizoc

All ya'all hatin' on Vamp are just mad jelly you can never have such a sexy manly chest hair like he does...or slick looking hair....or an awesome mustache...or dreamy black as night eyes... Nor be able to kill so artistcly while dancing like a ballerina.

I looked up Neptunia Victory cutscenes on Youtube and within minutes was so bored I got started zoning out while clipping my toenails.

No one seriously gives a shit about games like that, so the localization being lazy doesn't surprise me.

Truth be told every Metal Gear Solid game is incredibly stupid.

Though if I had to pick a favorite it would be MGS3.

qq more

Why does Neptunia sell

Why does it exist

Why does it have such horrid writing

Why is the writing actually more painful than fucking Time & Eternity despite it being apparently a better game overall (which isn't saying much)?

Why

WHY

FFXIII looked like a masterpiece by comparison. Not even kidding.

Truth be told every Metal Gear Solid game is incredibly stupid.

They are, and that's part of the fun.

The problem with MGS4 is that it's either too ashamed of its stupidity (nah, all that supernatural stuff was actually these science facts (except for when it's not)) or too self indulgent in it ("hey that Sasaki guy was kinda funny right, what if we bring him back as a major character and really play up his shitting himself?") while also failing to really do anything interesting.

MGS1 and 3 are fun melodramas, MGS2 has the whole postmodern thing going on, MGS4 is just a big wankfest that does a whole lot of nothing, and does it terribly.

Why does Neptunia sell

Why does it exist

Why is the writing actually more painful than fucking Time & Eternity despite it being apparently a better game overall (which isn't saying much)?

Why

WHY

FFXIII proved that lack of quality has a sustainable market.

People will buy and defend any kind of shit if it looks like annie may.

Noi

Died 3 times in a row in the same area in Ducktales because the pogo wouldn't activate and I fell into a pit as a result.

This is stupid.

I'm not sure what prompted this but he's 100% right.
Rebel insisted during last night's stream that there were no good examples of time travel in video games.

Yes, I know he was being facetious, but seriously, if anyone ever gets that impression for real, this game proves you wrong.

Tizoc

Why does Neptunia sell

Why does it exist

Why

WHY
Because
image.php

...and also
FpsHc5V.jpg

FF13 has pretty good graphics and the combat system is OK.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You say this as if FFXIII has bad writing compared to most JRPGs.
To be fair, to some, it likely does. And the way it tends to communicate the majority of its worldbuilding can be somewhat of a turnoff. I can understand why people dislike the writing.

Emi, to be honest, Final Fantasy XIII--when I played it back in 2009--was the game that made me drop RPGs for a year. I really disliked it. Now I think it's merely mediocre, but I really hated that game for the way it was designed... and for the likelihood that it would set a precedence for how RPGs later in the generation would be developed and designed since many first system FFs have a tendency to do that.

Luckily not a lot of people took notes from FF13, so I was happy in the end. Tales of Graces f and Arc Rise Fantasia in 2010 made me like the genre again.

Even then, I still don't appreciate what FF13 does in the design department, and it's a game the I don't really like to discuss anymore simply because of the bad aftertaste it left, despite having platinumed it and surmising that it was merely a mediocre game. I don't hold it against anyone for vehemently disliking it, or really loving it... because there are certain things that the game does that certainly doesn't appeal to people at all, or things that the game does that does appeal to people a lot like its streamlined design.

It's just funny that FF13-2 was a less cohesive game and was--in my opinion--a worse-off game, with FF13 being the better of the two.

New CBOAT thread! Basically confirms PS4 will launch first, in October. Holy shiiiiiit.

Also, Platinum's making an Xbone exclusive.
I'm kinda glad I paid that one off now. Oh, and I like your enthusiasm for the Platinum exclusive. :p

I'm 16 hours in and really enjoying Dream Team, screw Nocturnowl!
Damn right. I'm having fun.

Nocturnowl, pls.

It's a NISA localization. I'm not too fond of those just because their voice direction is so bad sometimes. You have people like Stephanie Sheh, Tara Platt, David Vincent, Patrick Seitz, etc doing the voices for a lot of NISA games, and they sound so exaggerated and like caricatures that it's hard to believe that it's them sometimes. They sound better in other roles, but the voice direction for NISA games tend to be... annoying to listen to. IMO, anyway. I can't stand 'em sometimes. Only exceptions seem to be some voices in the Atelier games, but even then, some voices in those games are weird too.

But the localization had a Foxconn joke! That's funny, right?

New CBOAT thread! Basically confirms PS4 will launch first, in October. Holy shiiiiiit.
Well, it's consistent with all the rumors we've heard so far.

I don't think I've ever seen an October launch. Not like I can afford a PS4 right now, anyway. Was gonna hold on for a bit and let more games I actually want to accumulate - Knack looks fun, but that's just one game. (Will definitely be nabbing everything free that I can through PS+, though. Thanks for letting me do that without owning your latest consoles, Sony.)

Also, Platinum's making an Xbone exclusive.
I don't think I've played a single Platinum game, ever. Really should try out that W101 demo, although I'm still not sure it's my kind of game.

I think I might have the cash to swing a PS4 at launch, though it'll take a bit of budgeting on my part.

The last time I bought a console with my own money at launch was for Dreamcast. I had to mow so many lawns to raise money for that one.
KuGsj.gif

I want a PS4, just not until there are more games I want for it. The fact it can't play PS3 games was a bummer and is why I'm not jumping in already. If it did, I would be buying one at launch easily.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Emi, you can love FF13 all you want. At least I think it's better than its unbalanced sequel!

Stop having fun!
5i101N2.png

I remember when Platinum made games for consoles I (plan to) own. ;_;

Oh, wait. That was this year. Never mind.
What gets me is this:

CBOAT said:
fy yoi thgouhte poelw er mad about abyoneta going sequeleggy to WeeeeYEWW youl be soemwaht nuhapy babout waht MS i money hateing w/Platfinim/. other jpnj dvs inplay to but KMAIYATown IS ONLY o1 I am solid onon. game NOT for nortamser uior Euroep, btway which maek sno nsense byt hwathever.
"If you thought people were mad about Bayonetta 2 on Wii U, you'll be somewhat unhappy about what MS is moneyhatting with Platinum. Other Japanese developers are in-play, but Kamiya is the only one I'm solid on. The game isn't for North America or Europe, by the way, which makes no sense. But whatever."

...that makes no sense. Isn't Japan Tier-3 for the Xbox One's release? No one really bought the OG Xbox or the Xbox 360 there, so that... makes no sense.

At least the system is region-free, I guess.

Inserting a passage from a CBOAT post into a Dark Schala post only amplifies how insane his writing is. :lol

Schala, I think people in that thread have decided that the more understandable interpretation is that Platinum are making a game that is Japan-centric; designed with Japanese audiences and/or design sensibilities in mind. So the opposite of a Western-focused title like Vanquish or MadWorld, basically - something likely more in line with The Wonderful 101. The idea that Microsoft would unveil a Japan-exclusive title at a European press event just makes zero sense, so people looked for an alternative interpretation and got this.

This of course still doesn't make sense, as CBOAT noted, due to Japan getting the short end of the Xbone launch stick. But hey, if you're hiring Platinum, you let them go balls out. It fits in with their treatment of Crimson Dragon and D4, at least.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Inserting a passage from a CBOAT post into a Dark Schala post only amplifies how insane his writing is. :lol

Schala, I think people in that thread have decided that the more understandable interpretation is that Platinum are making a game that is Japan-centric; designed with Japanese audiences and/or design sensibilities in mind. So the opposite of a Western-focused title like Vanquish or MadWorld, basically - something likely more in line with The Wonderful 101. The idea that Microsoft would unveil a Japan-exclusive title at a European press event just makes zero sense, so people looked for an alternative interpretation and got this.
Ah, thank you. That makes more sense, but it still makes little sense. I'd hope it's the latter (design sensibilities) because that'd make more sense since using design would be more palatable in terms of marketing worldwide than marketing directly to Japanese audiences.

Why does nothing make sense?

TheOGB

Banned
Ah, thank you. That makes more sense, but it still makes little sense. I'd hope it's the latter (design sensibilities) because that'd make more sense since using design would be more palatable in terms of marketing worldwide than marketing directly to Japanese audiences.

Why does nothing make sense?
The moment insane buttocks were allowed to direct a hype train, let alone board a train, sense went tapdancing out the window.

qq more

You say this as if FFXIII has bad writing compared to most JRPGs.
Dunno what to say since I don't know how JRPGs are generally written but FFXIII's writing seems okay at least. To be fair, I picked FFXIII because Schala streamed for a bit after Neptunia.

I should've picked Tales of the Abyss. Good god the writing in that game... good world lore but the character's writing are sooooooooo bad. Looks like a masterpiece compared to Neptunia and T&E.

Stop having fun!
i hate fun, i only like torture and pain

My bitter tears are Microsoft's bidet. Guess I'm getting an XBOne.

Says not for NA/EU... oops (Microsoft's strategy doesn't make sense)

anyways i barely had any sleep, I'm going to nap now

zzzzzzzzzz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom