• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
qq, pls.

Do I need to post that whole thing I wrote about Ni no Kuni's ineptitude as a game again? Because that post was long as all hell and I had to edit lots of things out to make it fit in a post. I've said my bit on Ni no Kuni in these two posts, and I'll leave it at that.

I don't think it's a good game. I think it's a pretty game. But the game part of the game is badly-designed. And that's what hurts it the most for me. If the mechanics in a game are bone-headed as hell, it kills the experience for me completely. No amount of pretty art design and localization accolades is ever going to rectify a game for me at that point.

I mean, I get why people like it. They can like it all they want because it fits their tastes, and it has what they're looking for in an RPG.

But I can't say the same for myself. That game is always going to be an inconsistent, boring, poorly-paced, repetitive waste of art resources to me with a terribly-designed battle system incapable of delivering the action that it promises due to horrendous party AI, bad hitboxes, boring boss battles, and an undercooked monster-rearing element. It's cruel to say that, maybe, and it's probably the most unpopular opinion out there, but I had to say it, and I've justified myself very clearly in this thread enough to make my opinion merited.

As for what Box of Bunnies said, there are tons of great RPGs on portable platforms, so I don't understand all this nonsense about how "oh, there weren't any JRPGs this gen!" I've given up being incredulous and posting various examples because people are going to inevitably say that they want to play something on their big screen (I mean, that's why I bought component cables for my PSP because I did hook it up to my TV to play some of the bigger PSP games sometimes).

Yes, there were JRPGs this gen. You guys just weren't looking at the right platforms, and were concentrating on the garbage RPGs that certain companies decided to localize for consoles. If you stayed away from both the PSP and DS and you claim to love RPGs, then you completely missed out on some good stuff. The DS, especially. There were a lot of RPGs on the DS that took proper advantage of the hardware like The World Ends with You, Etrian Odyssey, the M&L games, lots of SRPGs, etc. There were a lot of original RPGs on the PSP like Crisis Core, Crimson Gem Saga, Birth by Sleep, Nayuta no Kiseki, etc. There were so many subgenres on both portable platforms that generation that got a ton of love, even if some of them were remakes/re-releases.

So you can't tell me that last generation was not a boon for the genre. It was. Plain and simple, it was.

I do have a bone to pick with people who said that the Wii never had games last gen, too. But that's for another time.

(Noi's going to wake up, look at this page, and wonder what he's started despite trying to stop me from ranting earlier. Yep.)

Well she also helps us keep getting Compile Heart games so she's clearly doing something right!
What.

JRPG fans that refuse to play handhelds are starved and will take whatever scraps they can, while the rest of us are fit to burst.

I don't consider handheld JRPGs and console JRPGs the same experience.

Why?

I dunno, just isn't to me.

Though handheld JRPGs have been great lately I really wish console JRPGs would get their shit together.

I do have a bone to pick with people who said that the Wii never had games last gen, too. But that's for another time.

Yeah, this gets me too. There were certainly release droughts and missed opportunities (how Capcom failed to follow up Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition selling over a million copies, despite being like the fourth platform the game had been released on in like three years, with some kind of Resident Evil 4-2 is still beyond me) but it still had lots of stuff worth playing.

IL2liOu.jpg

Pictured: literally zero games.

qq more

Christ, I've defended the Wii far more than you two have and my collection is puny by comparison. haha

Wii is an under appreciated console, I agree. It does have a lot of problems and a lot of stupid droughts (which is probably what caused the negative perception). but it still had a really decent library when you actually give it a look. 2007 and 2010 were the best years for it. 2009 was an okay year though but I want to pretend The Conduit doesn't exist and I still feel like a moron hyping that game up.

Tizoc

What's the fastest any of you have finished Emerald Hill Act 1 in?
I for one distinctly remember finishing it at or a little under 40 seconds, but that's it.

BHZ Mayor

Yeah, this gets me too. There were certainly release droughts and missed opportunities (how Capcom failed to follow up Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition selling over a million copies, despite being like the fourth platform the game had been released on in like three years, with some kind of Resident Evil 4-2 is still beyond me) but it still had lots of stuff worth playing.

Well that's what happens when you play graphics and specs instead of games.

Village

Well that's what happens when you play graphics and specs instead of games.

Maybe they weren't genuinely interested in what the wii had to offer. A system having no games seems more like a subjective statement about what the person is interested in , rather than an objective one about it actually having no games. If they are saying the latter they are usually wrong. Unless you are talking about the wii u and Vita right now, and the PS3 for while, Ratchet and MGS4 only held me for so long.

Thems my two cents anyway.

Peace.

On the whole, Black Knight was more mediocre than downright bad. I didn't pay a lot for it, so I never really regretted my purchase. It's a doofy concept, but something good could've been done with it. It just wasn't.

Pretty much everything but the gameplay is good, though. Looks nice, good soundtrack/obligatory awesome vocal theme, story is decent for what if is with some good humour in the interplay between Sonic and the sword. Problem is that the gameplay is just... there.

BlackJace

The Amami Monolith from Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers is the most annoying RPG dungeon in existence. IT NEVER ENDS.

It's literally a wild goose chase. You have to go up and down and up and down and up and down the 60 something floors of the place, and go through multiple same looking rooms behind countless annoying locked doors looking for the same looking switches. Run out of Magnetite? Tough tits, your demons will be sapped before you can reach the exit floor, and you'll have to pray you don't get encountered. Shit took me 6 hours, I'm not even lying. Would've taken exponentially longer if I didn't have the Minimap Hack enabled.

Nightmare dungeon.

Music was nice though.

PKrockin

Black Knight was fun for a grand total of 3 minutes.

Worse than Secret Rings, I think. Secret Rings at least had some charm.

Charm? Secret Rings has all the charm of a gorilla shitting in my mouth. All aspects of the game strike completely flat and boring, and the mechanics frustrating. Black Knight at least injects a little bit of silly fun into the script, and the graphics, art and music are a step above Secret Rings.

BlackJace

Charm? Secret Rings has all the charm of a gorilla shitting in my mouth. All aspects of the game strike completely flat and boring, and the mechanics frustrating. Black Knight at least injects a little bit of silly fun into the script, and the graphics, art and music are a step above Secret Rings.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

I for one distinctly remember finishing it at or a little under 40 seconds, but that's it.

Me and my friend tried to see who got the fastest time...I think his best was 25, I did it in 26 seconds.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Christ, I've defended the Wii far more than you two have and my collection is puny by comparison. haha
I remember when you saw my Wii collection list, you were all, "wtf, how is yours so much bigger than mine?!"

I would take a picture but my Wii games can't all fit in one shelf. They're kinda scattered everywhere, haha. I don't even know if I wrote my entire list when I showed it to you that one time, too.

21 seconds.

The Amami Monolith from Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers is the most annoying RPG dungeon in existence. IT NEVER ENDS.

It's literally a wild goose chase. You have to go up and down and up and down and up and down the 60 something floors of the place, and go through multiple same looking rooms behind countless annoying locked doors looking for the same looking switches. Run out of Magnetite? Tough tits, your demons will be sapped before you can reach the exit floor, and you'll have to pray you don't get encountered. Shit took me 6 hours, I'm not even lying. Would've taken exponentially longer if I didn't have the Minimap Hack enabled.

Nightmare dungeon.

Music was nice though.
Hahaha. Yeah, it can be exhausting. To be honest, I don't mind the dungeon as much because the other dungeons in the game aren't as great. But lots of people generally seem to despise that dungeon.

You did make sure to
check the room that is the shape of the letter you're looking for, since that's where the letter of that floor is
, right?

qq more

The system I have most games for would probably be the DS. About 45 games... this is not counting some DS games I've sold long ago like Star Fox Command and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Blue but I don't think there were a lot of those.

I think my biggest collection is either SNES, Genesis or PS1 games...but I don't have near as many games as the rest of you have, I'm rather picky

BlackJace

Hahaha. Yeah, it can be exhausting. To be honest, I don't mind the dungeon as much because the other dungeons in the game aren't as great. But lots of people generally seem to despise that dungeon.

You did make sure to
check the room that is the shape of the letter you're looking for, since that's where the letter of that floor is
, right?

lol nope, just winged it, I feel even more shitty now, knowing that I could've done that.

Regiruler

I never really liked Eminem. Never got it at all. Then again, my tastes in rap are picky as fuck, so ehh.

>liking rap

Sir, I have identified your problem.
You do not have any Clash of Ninja. You have failed me.

Castlevania JADGEment reminds me: why did that game get so much flak anyway, outside of editing beloved designs and a tiny character pool?.

BlackJace

And what's wrong with rap? Yes, there's a lot of shit, but its your fault for not sifting through it and finding the good ones. It bugs me when people generalize the genre as a whole because of mainstream. Mainstream is meticulously crafted to often be vapid, catchy garbage tracks destined for endless replay on radio stations.

It doesn't bug me at all when people junk an entire genre of music

I know which people opinions to pay attention to and which to discard. Helps me weed out wheat from the chaff, so to speak

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
lol nope, just winged it, I feel even more shitty now, knowing that I could've done that.
I liked that dungeon just because it made the player at least look around for something specific and was designed in such a fashion in order for them to do so vs. the other dungeons in the game.

But a lot of people really don't like that dungeon and it's easy to see why, so I don't fault anyone for disliking it.

I forgot but I could guess the quantity is double of the Wii at least... right? (is it?)
181 the last time I updated the list in Google Docs. You've seen my DS collection before I added a few games to it. (And there are games behind these games in the shelf). In fact, I think I need to add a few things to that DS collection now (and by that, I mean the list in Google Docs that I wrote).

S9LYk27.jpg

(Again, deep shelf; there are games behind these games. And I have more DS games to add / 3DS games to take out of that shelf and place elsewhere.)

qq more

it was okay. Xtreme 2 was good tho

I just want all of my GB games to have their proper boxes even though it's impossible because they're overpriced as shit :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom