• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
...so they decide to take out the 3D and make it value priced, but there still isn't a second slide pad? C'mon, Nintendo.

Edit: At least we know why it doesn't fold like the other DS':

Cd7iS5v.jpg

qq more

...so they decide to take out the 3D and make it value priced, but there still isn't a second slide pad? C'mon, Nintendo.

Because that would be a totally stupid thing to do. It's meant to be a budget 3DS, dude.

The real problem is the lack of clamshell. How are we going to put this in sleep mode? Streetpasses won't work without it! Such a stupid thing... holy shit.

Sciz

Nintendo, please can everyone involved in naming the 3DS, Wii U, and 2DS. It's for your own good.

Just reiterating that so it doesn't get lost in the 2DS shuffle

Lots of good stuff in that list, and I'm certainly more likely to blow $60 cherrypicking titles out of it than I am on any single AAA title.

The real problem is the lack of clamshell. How are we going to put this in sleep mode? Streetpasses won't work without it! Such a stupid thing... holy shit.
I believe you can manually put the 3DS into Sleep Mode by pressing the Power button and selecting "Sleep Mode" in the resulting menu instead of "Power Off Completely".

qq more

Nintendo, please can everyone involved in naming the 3DS, Wii U, and 2DS. It's for your own good.
Eh, to be fair, 2DS is just a budget priced 3DS.

I believe you can manually put the 3DS into Sleep Mode by pressing the Power button and selecting "Sleep Mode" in the resulting menu instead of "Power Off Completely".

Oh, just noticed that. Thanks! Still though... I wish they went with claimshell...

Noi

Not to mention that the branding for this thing is going to be just as confusing. Are they going to make cases/advertise that the games are playable on both in their normal ads?

I don't think they thought this through enough.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
...First thing I do is check twitter. See 2DS. Think it's a joke. Second place I check is SonicGAF and now I'm all confused. wtf is this thing. Who names these things over there?

*checks GAF thread* Okay. Someone needs to go home because they're drunk. Maybe it's a precautionary thing for Pokemon X/Y (ie: cheaper handheld for the Pokemon market, kids won't easily break things without hinges, etc).

Even when there are people still out there who think the 3DS is just a regular ol' DS still? Someone fire their marketing department or whomever makes these decisions.
"Can I have games for my Nintendo 2DS? No, those games are for the 3DS."
"But they work with the 2DS!"
"But they say 3DS!"
"They work with the 2DS!"
"Is this one of the old types of DSes, where the old-old DS games will work with this because it says "2DS"!"
"It works with 3DS games too."

Do you now see the problem with that, qq? People are still confused about what the 3DS is (I still see kids around my campus carrying around DS Lites and DSis). Like Sciz said, the Wii U is seen as nothing more than a peripheral for the Wii. They really need to start realizing that their naming conventions aren't doing them any favours at all. This 2DS thing is going to make things even more confusing since people started getting confused with the DS, DSL, DSi, DSiXL, 3DS, 3DSXL, etc around here.

The Wonderful 101: 6,663 (Wii U)
Don't worry. It'll sell even better when the NA release date which is the same day week as GTA5 rolls around.

So me and my mom were playing this game were you had to guess the title of something based on its logo, and she needed help for the video games.

She is now convinced that most video games nowadays are murder simulators.

>_>

Can't really say they aren't...

It's like a psuedo tablet in a way, kind of...sort of. If this were Apple doing it, I'd laugh and then figure they'd make millions off it anyway...I'm not sure if it'll just as successful for Nintendo.

Spinluck

Is the 3D in the 3DS even that expensive?

It's like a psuedo tablet in a way, kind of...sort of. If this were Apple doing it, I'd laugh and then figure they'd make millions off it anyway...I'm not sure if it'll just as successful for Nintendo.

Of course they would. Some people don't even need a reason to buy Apple products anymore, as long as it's Apple.

Nintendo may have designed one of the ugliest handhelds ever to grace the Earth, nevermind they did. But kids probably won't give a fuck, and it's a great entry price for people who just want Pokemans.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hmm... I read up on some of the 2DS specs stuff and it just... tigger's right.

It reads like a tablet with button controls. Two screens on one solid thing without hinges, one speaker, games in 2D, lower cost, etc. Given that--and I know people are probably going to give me flak for this, but this is the honest to God truth and you'll probably see this when you go out and stay around in waiting rooms, bus stations, trains, tutor kids, etc--kids are mostly tablet users, I guess this is Nintendo's way of trying to break into that market, but, uh...

Well, it certainly looks better than some of those tablets that I've seen a few kids in the clinic I work at had. But even then, I don't think it looks very nice. It looks unergonomic to boot.

But in all seriousness, I barely ever see kids with handheld devices now. And I barely ever hear them talk about them too. It's all about the tablets with them. When you were a kid, you totally gave a fuck, so I wouldn't be quick to say, "Kids won't care, even if they see their buddies on the schoolyard with other things." Kids aren't stupid, and we all know that kids aren't just looking forward to the new Pokemon game, but also Skylanders and whatever else is on their tablet as well. But again, it's more about tablets now. I can't remember the last time I have seen a kid in public with a handheld device that wasn't a phone or tablet. And we're talking kids from 4-10, here.

I get what they're going for with respect to the tablet thing, but I dunno about this one. Creating another segment for the market just seems weird to me, even if it might be because of Pokemon. It's hard pill for some people to swallow, I know, but the market has drastically changed from what it was even just 5 years ago.

Edit: Oh, haha.

Curiously, the 2DS is even more of a tablet-style system than it appears at first glance, as it actually features a single large screen in its center, not two separate ones.
I stand-corrected. Now it really is basically a tablet with carts/SD cards.

qq more

Last time I saw a kid with a handheld was a few months ago. (I think it was a DSiXL) And I barely get out... so... I guess I can't say much here. I sort of expect handheld gaming to go back to the way they were pre-DS era (I don't really think the handheld market will ever be as big as it was last gen). I really wonder how much boost the 3DS will get when Pokemon releases. We'll wait and see I suppose.

Also I'm totally not farming BP in MGR at all, nope :V

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, launching it alongside Pokemon X/Y is smart marketing, so I'll be interested in seeing how this thing does in the end. Or at least seeing whether or not that will be successful in the end. Sure, Pokemon always sells hotcakes, but I'm more interested in seeing how the device + the series does against stuff like Skylanders, tablets, iPods, etc. I see kids gabbing about Skylanders or the free (and possibly emulated) games they're playing on their tablets/phones all the freaking time.

I'm moreso interested in seeing whether or not I'll see kids bringing Pokemon to the clinic, haha.

What's interesting to me, though, is that the device is NA/EU-focused. Or designed with our market in mind. Tablet-form, cheaper, etc. I guess they took one look at sales and realized, "well, shit, we should probably try to sell as much as we do in Japan, but other forms of entertainment designed for portability are eating into our sales numbers here".

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's not the video game sales you should be looking at.

You should be looking at the figures and merchandising sales instead. There's a reason why this thing sold 1.5 bil up to this year.

BlackJace

I can't really describe what Nintendo dropped today. They weren't bombs per se, but I feel like they stretched their legs a bit.

I had a laughing fit when I heard about the 2DS, but it sort of makes sense when you think about it. It's still ugly as sin, though.

$299 Wii U is sort of up my alley, will most likely be getting the Wind Waker HD bundle. Would've jumped immediately at $250-280, but I figure its good enough considering the lineup later this year.

I expect to question the world I live in with whatever gets announced during their fall Direct conference.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm still glad I bought my Wii U when I did. $249 was the price point I was willing to pay for it, and I was able to buy it at that price.

Going to probably get TWW + the Ganondorf figure thing too when that comes out because I'm a sucker for Zelda stuff.

qq more

$299 Wii U is sort of up my alley, will most likely be getting the Wind Waker HD bundle. Would've jumped immediately at $250-280, but I figure its good enough considering the lineup later this year.
Does the WWHD bundle also come with Nintendoland? Curious.

But don't you need the figures to play that game? How would that work otherwise?

It's not the video game sales you should be looking at.

You should be looking at the figures and merchandising sales instead. There's a reason why this thing sold 1.5 bil up to this year.
I'm just curious at the sale figures is all.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Does the WWHD bundle also come with Nintendoland? Curious.
Press site says:
  • GamePad with Zelda-inspired gold accents
  • Full game download
  • Free digital version of Hyrule Historia, filled with the history and artwork of The Legend of Zelda series.
A new limited-edition Wii U bundle featuring The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD launches on Sept. 20 at a suggested retail price of $299.99. The bundle includes a black Deluxe Wii U console; a GamePad controller adorned with gold lettering, a gold Hyrule crest and gold symbols from the game; a download code for the digital version of Hyrule Historia, a book that details the chronology, history and artwork of The Legend of Zelda series; and a code that can be used to download The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD from the Nintendo eShop immediately at no additional cost.

- Still looks like it has the Deluxe Digital Promotion.
- Doesn't look like Nintendoland is bundled.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yo Schalla what do u think of grant kirkhope's music in the vid above?
I was never much of a fan of Kirkhope's (or any of Rare's) music, really (also, you need to recall that I've never played a Banjo game in my entire life). Either way, it's very Disney-like, or at least it's more reminiscent of a Disney score in terms of instruments/samples used. Tokuhiko Uwabo and Shigenori Kamiya's original composition's still there in its full glory.

I do think the narration is kind of bothersome. LittleBigPlanet had that sort of thing too, and I always felt it detracted from the experience by virtue of feeling like it takes me out of the zone a bit.

PKrockin

I don't know why we need to have this tired "I see more kids playing Angry Birds nowadays" anecdotal back-and-forth every single time Nintendo hardware is brought up. I've never seen anyone play or even talk about Skylanders in real life before but that proves nothing.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That's because it's true, though. I don't think it's a tired argument because that's the nature of the industry now. I really dislike to put it out there, but it's just kind interesting how much money the industry has been making since 2009 given the gradual gravitation towards something that seems all-in-one, portable, and cheaper on the software end of things.

At least, that's what parents tell me.

But whatever, I'll stop. I realized I'd be opening a can of worms when I brought up the argument anyway.

qq more

I'm fine with the discussion because no one here aren't going all OH MY GOD HANDHELD GAMING IS GOING EXTINCT or DEDICATED HANDHELDS ARE ANCIENT unlike some brain dead dumbasses.

Yes, there are people who actually thinks we should move on from dedicated handheld gaming and play phone games instead. It baffles my mind.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
When you've got 3D Land and MK7 still selling 8+ million copies I just find it hard to believe kids don't care about Nintendo games anymore.
Don't put words into my mouth as I never said they didn't care about Nintendo games anymore. What I said can be attributed to not just the 3DS but equally attributed to every console and handheld device. Even both upcoming consoles.

This sort of thing is legitimately why I don't step foot into Sales-Age. I don't think we've seen overall industry declines like this in a long time to the point where it's in freefall.

Either way, I'll drop the discussion.

Edit: Anyway, Jeremy Parish had a good Q&A about the 2DS here: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-08-28-nintendo-we-dont-want-to-walk-away-from-3d-gaming.

Q: I feel the design of this device is somewhat compromised by the need to maintain consistency with the 3DS' two screens. I think people will look at a device this size and this form factor and expect something more like a Galaxy phone or an iPad mini. They expect a lot more screen real estate than you're actually giving them. This device obviously doesn't exist in a vacuum. There will be these outside factors that people are going to be weighing against. Obviously this is cheaper than a Galaxy phone, but...

Scott Moffitt: I understand your point. I guess I appreciate that perspective. The big difference, to me, is that with a phone, you're making a compromise the other way. You're making a compromise in button control and the ability to play games in a manner that's been pretty successful, pretty popular over many years. You're asking, could we make the whole thing a touch screen and use all the real estate for the screen? That would negate that magic of all the things that we've done with creating great button control and great experiences with button control.

Q: So is this as close as we can expect to see Nintendo get to the tablet market?

Scott Moffitt: [chuckles] Well, it's not at all inspired by… I guess some would make that comparison. But it's not meant to be a tablet. It's not a response to a tablet at all. Again, the idea is, how can we continue to expand the world of portable gaming? One of the ways to expand it, as we saw in the DS history, was creating a more affordable price point that opens up a new part of the market. That's the real intention.

The form factor fell out of that, of that design specification, to create a gaming device that plays all of our great content, that doesn't lose any of the StreetPass or SpotPass or all the other fun features that people enjoy with the 3DS, but create it at a price point. Our hardware designers came up with this design. So I'd be surprised if there's any connection or any inspiration from the tablet market.

Q: At the same time, I still can see a similarity. I look at the original DS, and I look at the existing tablet market, and a big part of the appeal for both is that they have offered experiences that aren't strictly video games. Will you be encouraging developers to take 3DS software in a direction more like applications and that sort of thing?

Scott Moffitt: There's already some of that today.

Q: Some, but not nearly as many as there were for the DS.

Scott Moffitt: Yeah, and certainly not as many as there are for an iPhone. There are non-game entertainment experiences. Nintendo Video is one good example, the ability to access and play [videos]... Those kinds of experiences, I think, are great. We're a game company, we're an entertainment company, so I think… If we have an hour of consumers' time and they want some entertainment, they want some enjoyment from one of our games, we'd rather they play a game than an application. But certainly the ability to access video or other entertainment content exists on the platform.

qq more

This is actually a good call. $129 is kind of what the DS Lite launched at right? Really good price for a dedicated handheld gaming device. Kind of wished the thing wasn't ugly and looked more comfortable to use. I cannot imagine playing Kid Icarus on that thing.

One thing they should fix now is the MSRP for the games. I always felt $39.99 was too much.

Their next handheld has to be leaning towards a tablet design.

I sort of hope not since I really enjoy the clamshell design far more. But one thing for sure is that the next handheld generation will end up being really interesting.

PKrockin

Don't put words into my mouth as I never said they didn't care about Nintendo games anymore. What I said can be attributed to not just the 3DS but equally attributed to every console and handheld device. Even both upcoming consoles.

Alright, I'll quit it with the conversation, but let me clarify I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. When we're talking about seeing kids play less on dedicated handhelds and more on smartphones/tablets, I just have to assume we're talking about DS/3DS as I really don't think there's nearly as large a userbase of kids on PSP/Vita, and games like 3DL and MK7 are the heavy hitting kids games for the 3DS. Also, I agree the industry is in decline, obviously.

I sort of hope not since I really enjoy the clamshell design far more. But one thing for sure is that the next handheld generation will end up being really interesting.

Whatever it is, I just hope it's actually portable. As in, it fits in my pocket, not a backpack or laptop bag.

Noi

I wouldn't mind a new handheld with a tablet design. It's shoehorning a 3DS into a flat slate that looks ugly (and unconfortable) as hell since the thing was designed with clamshell in mind.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This is actually a good call. $129 is kind of what the DS Lite launched at right? Really good price for a dedicated handheld gaming device. Kind of wished the thing wasn't ugly and looked more comfortable to use. I cannot imagine playing Kid Icarus on that thing.

One thing they should fix now is the MSRP for the games. I always felt $39.99 was too much.
Yup. I ended up buying a DSLite + Brain Age at that time since it was an excellent bundle for someone like me who was trying to get back into handheld games again, and it was priced effectively. In an Intro Chem or Bio course in 2006 consisting of 1000+ people, I could easily find people who were playing multiplayer Mario Kart during an hour of class. And I made study partners easily because, uh, a few people saw me playing NSMB and Super Princess Peach and we struck up a conversation that way. >.>

The DSLite was a major hit because it was priced effectively, and because the games it was bundled with were really effective at pushing the Touch Generation profile of the platform. It wasn't "Touching is Good" or anything like that that sold the console to people. It was really the unique software+the price point, much like Wii Sports ended up selling consoles to people who they targetted with their Blue Ocean strategy. The Touch Generation games being pretty cheap (like $20 cheap) was a really good thing when you think about it.

And a lot of people I knew back then got back into Pokemon with DPP for a while since the platform was pretty cheap. If I can go back and talk to those people again, they'll probably rave about DPP more than BW since that was their second wind with Pokemon akin to RBY.

Alright, I'll quit it with the conversation, but let me clarify I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. When we're talking about seeing kids play less on dedicated handhelds and more on smartphones/tablets, I just have to assume we're talking about DS/3DS as I really don't think there's nearly as large a userbase of kids on PSP/Vita, and games like 3DL and MK7 are the heavy hitting kids games for the 3DS. Also, I agree the industry is in decline, obviously.
Oh gosh, I'm sorry. I came off as hostile and I really didn't mean to come off that way.

But you're right; there is a larger audience with the 3DS and DS than there was with PSP/Vita because there's a certain niche that the Vita caters to, and the 3DS/DS still has that jumping point of being associated with certain IPs that Nintendo has (so essentially, there's a sense of familiarity and family-friendliness associated with the brand so much so that parents and kids know what they're getting into when they purchase the device, and also when they purchase games for it). So when you look at a Mario game, because people are familiar with Mario, you know exactly what you're getting in terms of mechanics/ratings expectations, you know exactly what's in store for the child if you're a parent, and you know that because Nintendo is usually associated with excellent QA you won't get a bug-ridden game to the point of being unplayable (I know a lot of games have bugs, but I mean in the detrimental sense). So if anything, parents are naturally going to gravitate towards Nintendo products if their kid does want a portable platform by virtue of familiarity and because Nintendo's been around for decades.

But in a larger sense, yeah, the industry as a whole seems to be kind of in this weird situation just because of the commonplace nature of phones/tablets. That's why the next generation's going to be interesting.

Edit:
Whatever it is, I just hope it's actually portable. As in, it fits in my pocket, not a backpack or laptop bag.
Specs:

0no657j8fuik.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom