• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing with some Gecko codes to speed up the text and remove the redundant notifications definitely makes a difference in SS.
This would actually remove like 90% of my issues with the game seeing as I actually enjoyed the game part of it very much.

Well you know what Owl!?

I agree. Superstar Saga still da bes
But of course, 15 hours of non stop thrills back when the concept of spin jumping as the bros was actually brand spanking new and enemy attacks as well as Bros attacks were to the point.

I don't actually dislike DT as much as it may appear, I think it's okay, just suffering some crippling flaws, obligatory mention that it still trumps PiT which was much more soul crushing.

pffft

you know nothing about annoying text until you play twilight princess and skyward sword

NOTHING
TP? slow opening aside I don't recall the game being slow text turmoil.
Or maybe my love for the dungeons in that one is blinding me.

It's the lack of owls, isn't it? You take the one positive and turn it into a negative!
Woah, I didn't even consider this, you know what has Owls? Sonic Lost World, see they know the score.

Because we all know that owls make everything better.

*Kaepora Gaebora, the hero of Hyrule*

One of the wisest Owls of all, not my fault you lot are inpatient hammering away at the buttons. Kaepora has the right idea by ensnaring you in his trap, see if you were paying attention you'd notice that "No" is the first option, he catches out those avoiding his noble guidance and gives you a chance for redemption and all people do is complain.
Those who don't listen to him are the reason we have Fi now, true story.
Plus he has boss theme music, gives you aerial lifts from Lake Hylia and Death Mountain, allows you the privilege of using his warp and save points in Majora's Mask and gets you to the lens of truth, LOVE HIM DAMMIT!

40e085_901934.jpg

PKrockin

Localise MMOs and then not release them.

Oh, and laugh at Yakuza threads on GAF.

Yah-koo-zuh? What's that?

I feel bad for Yakuza fans in the West

Is there codes for this in Wind Waker? My major gripe about the game itself is the annoying text in certain scenes.

Googling doesn't return any Gecko OS codes for WW's text speed. But I don't recall there being much text in the game besides the couple of major cutscenes.

This would actually remove like 90% of my issues with the game seeing as I actually enjoyed the game part of it very much.

Yeah, I always, always recommend doing if if you're at all okay with softmodding your Wii.

So I have about 20 hours worth of homework with about 30 hours to do it. And College courses take up another 5 hours over the next two days. So I have a buffer of 5 hours. YAY FOR FEELING A SENSE OF IMPENDING DOOM AND SLEEPLESS NIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh, neato. Ruby decided to pop in for once.

So I have about 20 hours worth of homework with about 30 hours to do it. And College courses take up another 5 hours over the next two days. So I have a buffer of 5 hours. YAY FOR FEELING A SENSE OF IMPENDING DOOM AND SLEEPLESS NIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would imagine that I have even more work than you do. :V

(In fact, I'm kind of in the middle of doing a ton of assignments/papers right now. Okay, maybe not a ton, because these aren't due for another week. Oh, and lesson plans. Those are nice.)

Oh, neato. Ruby decided to pop in for once.

I would imagine that I have even more work than you do. :V

(In fact, I'm kind of in the middle of doing a ton of assignments/papers right now. Okay, maybe not a ton, because these aren't due for another week. Oh, and lesson plans. Those are nice.)

Lesson plans? You a student teacher?

Sciz

Sonic: Lost World's main theme has steel drums. Steel drums. I swear, it's not helping the "this isn't inspired by Mario honest"; the way they're used make them sound like they came out of Super Mario Sunshine or Galaxy's tropical stages or similar.

It's pretty good, though.

wha

when did

He's talking about this, for anyone else it completely slipped past.

And yeah, Ohtani's definitely channeling a couple different Mario flavors here. It's got its own style in the long run, but there's no way the Galaxy homages aren't intentional, and it's borrowing from Wario Land Shake's vibe at a couple points as well. Not that this is bad source material by any means, but it pushes the other Mario-ish snippets we've heard further away from the realm of coincidence.

It'll be interesting to see how he manages to transpose this to a minor key boss theme, though.

Spinluck

Oct 29th should get here already.

It's gonna be awesome playing Lost World a couple of weeks before I get my PS4! At least I have GTA Online to look forward to in the meantime, I think.

TP? slow opening aside I don't recall the game being slow text turmoil.
Or maybe my love for the dungeons in that one is blinding me.

It's not nearly as bad as Skyward Sword, but the game has the awful habit of constantly reminding you about what the rupees are worth every time you start up your game. It's just annoying and unnecessary.

He couldn't beat the last boss.

There's no need to cover for him. We all know he's really stuck on the first boss.

PKrockin

It's not nearly as bad as Skyward Sword, but the game has the awful habit of constantly reminding you about what the rupees are worth every time you start up your game. It's just annoying and unnecessary.

It only takes three or four seconds though.

Thinking back, as I've yet to replay it, the later part of Twilight Princess really did have some of the most interesting and fun dungeons in the series.

Can't believe it's almost 7 years old...

My point is, I really can't recall TWW having much in the way of "annoying text", unless the generic text that appears when you get map charts or pieces of heart is considered annoying. Twilight Princess, in my mind, is a bit worse when it comes to that, and Skyward Sword even more so.

EDIT: I was talking to qq more about better clarification on what he meant, and he was referring to text speed for certain scenes, which I suppose I can understand.

Thinking back, as I've yet to replay it, the later part of Twilight Princess really did have some of the most interesting and fun dungeons in the series.

Can't believe it's almost 7 years old...
It's well worth revisiting if you have the time, I didn't appreciate the Snowpeak Ruins nearly as much on my first run.
And Arbiter's Grounds is a pretty godly dungeon.

My point is, I really can't recall TWW having much in the way of "annoying text", unless the generic text that appears when you get map charts or pieces of heart is considered annoying. Twilight Princess, in my mind, is a bit worse when it comes to that, and Skyward Sword even more so.

EDIT: I was talking to qq more about better clarification on what he meant, and he was referring to text speed for certain scenes, which I suppose I can understand.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the rupee thing in TP which seems lovely compared to the SS material item equivalent.
Wind Waker's equivalent is getting a joy pendant, skull necklace or Knight's band (or whatever it was called) out of a chest, off the floor is fine but you get the whole description works if you dare to pluck them out of chests no matter how many you have.
Otherwise I remember it being pretty safe on this point.

Instead is just falls to pieces in the later half of the game by comparison to the first, you truly can't win them all in this series.

It's well worth revisiting if you have the time, I didn't appreciate the Snowpeak Ruins nearly as much on my first run.
And Arbiter's Grounds is a pretty godly dungeon.

Arbiter's Grounds is the best dungeon in TP with the best boss fight (along with Zant). Snowpeak Ruins is pretty cool, both in aesthetics and that it is less "traditional" than other dungeons in the series.

I actually don't care for TP that much, but it does have good things going for it. I wouldn't mind seeing Nintendo do a Master Quest version of the game, with retooled puzzles to better utilize the items (most of which were criminally underused outside of their respective dungeons).

Wind Waker's equivalent is getting a joy pendant, skull necklace or Knight's band (or whatever it was called) out of a chest, off the floor is fine but you get the whole description works if you dare to pluck them out of chests no matter how many you have.
Otherwise I remember it being pretty safe on this point.

Ah, right. I forgot about those miscellaneous items. Honestly, if it comes out of a chest I don't mind a description so much, simply because it's so... commonplace in most games. I guess I've just gotten used to it.

Sciz

Right then, time for another experiment.

Between the bits of music talk that've cropped up over in Gaming lately and the ongoing war on list threads as opposed to discussion threads, I'd like to try something that'll tie the two together and get a little actual Sonic talk going on in here on a regular basis besides.

Once a day, I'll post one track. Give it a spin, and like it or not, write a little bit about it. Doesn't have to get elaborate or technical; the important part is simply getting an opinion out there. Or you can just ignore the whole affair and carry on with your day, that's cool, not everyone's into this kind of thing.

Track selection's going to jump all over the place in the interests of keeping things varied and providing something for everyone. I'll probably skew somewhat esoteric to start with, but everything from Aquarium Park to Nocturne is on the table.

So without further ado:

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #1

Song: Dragon's Lair
Game: Sonic and the Black Knight
Composer: Howard Drossin

SatBK's music is, by and large, a high-energy orchestral affair with a lot of nice acoustic flourishes. This is not one of those tracks. This is vintage Comix Zone-era Drossin rocking hard with the orchestra doing some light fills in the background. The rhythm guitars punch you in the face from the word go, the drummer starts going to town on his snare a moment later, and it doesn't let up from there.

But what I really love about this one is that it's the spiritual cousin of Flying Battery Zone. The pacing's slower, but it flows between melody and harmony in the exact same way. Check out the back-and-forth that starts going on at 0:40; at any given point in time, two of the three instruments are in focus, but which two it is keeps changing as the song goes on. Super smooth.

It's okay. Definitely fun to listen to, but pretty much as a whole I found Sonic and the Black Knight's soundtrack forgettable - and I'm not sure why, since it had a lot of really talented musicians working on it. Maybe it's because I didn't bother playing the game, or maybe because I've heard enough rock music filler in video games that it'd take a fairly notable melody to hook me; I dunno.

I have this same issue with Shadow's soundtrack, too. I didn't have it with 2K6, however; despite that game's overall quality, the soundtrack stood out as a real highlight for me.

Well this track is entirely new to me.
I've got to say the first few seconds set my expectations pretty low, perhaps that was a bit too hasty of me as it swiftly got quite a bit better, but as it stands this really doesn't do a lot for me. The orchestration and rock hybrid has a few moments that stand out to me (like a small section just beyond the minute mark) but this really isn't up my alley.

Not having played the game I can't really relate it to its use in game either.
I've gone through like 3 loops of it to try and get more of a feel for it but I remain pretty indifferent to it. I'd like to have seen the previously mention Rock/Orchestra hybrid style taken a bit further but that's just me.

TheOGB

Banned

Interesting idea.

This track surprised me immediately the first time I heard it. That opening was unexpectedly badass, and within seconds I found myself headbanging. The orchestra coming in at 1:07 sounded really cool.

Razzer

Right then, time for another experiment.

Between the bits of music talk that've cropped up over in Gaming lately and the ongoing war on list threads as opposed to discussion threads, I'd like to try something that'll tie the two together and get a little actual Sonic talk going on in here on a regular basis besides.

Once a day, I'll post one track. Give it a spin, and like it or not, write a little bit about it. Doesn't have to get elaborate or technical; the important part is simply getting an opinion out there. Or you can just ignore the whole affair and carry on with your day, that's cool, not everyone's into this kind of thing.

Track selection's going to jump all over the place in the interests of keeping things varied and providing something for everyone. I'll probably skew somewhat esoteric to start with, but everything from Aquarium Park to Nocturne is on the table.

So without further ado:

SatBK's music is, by and large, a high-energy orchestral affair with a lot of nice acoustic flourishes. This is not one of those tracks. This is vintage Comix Zone-era Drossin rocking hard with the orchestra doing some light fills in the background. The rhythm guitars punch you in the face from the word go, the drummer starts going to town on his snare a moment later, and it doesn't let up from there.

But what I really love about this one is that it's the spiritual cousin of Flying Battery Zone. The pacing's slower, but it flows between melody and harmony in the exact same way. Check out the back-and-forth that starts going on at 0:40; at any given point in time, two of the three instruments are in focus, but which two it is keeps changing as the song goes on. Super smooth.

I like this idea, and will write up something for this first go later when i have had some sleep. This kind of thing is pretty cool though.

Sciz

In lieu of manually picking through my entire music archive every day, tempting as that may be, I dumped the whole folder into VLC so I can just mash random until something worth talking about comes up, which works remarkably well. After cleaning out most of the duplicates, there's still north of 2000 tracks in the playlist. Several hundred of those are jingles and cutscenes, but even so, good grief, Sega.

It's okay. Definitely fun to listen to, but pretty much as a whole I found Sonic and the Black Knight's soundtrack forgettable - and I'm not sure why, since it had a lot of really talented musicians working on it. Maybe it's because I didn't bother playing the game, or maybe because I've heard enough rock music filler in video games that it'd take a fairly notable melody to hook me; I dunno.

I have this same issue with Shadow's soundtrack, too. I didn't have it with 2K6, however; despite that game's overall quality, the soundtrack stood out as a real highlight for me.

Yeah, that's fair. SatBK in general doesn't grab me (Drossin's other level track isn't half as good, for instance), but it has a few standouts I'm fond of. ShtH is much the same way. '06 isn't terribly melodic either, but Ohtani and co. did a better job of keeping the music varied and didn't lean too hard on riffs.

Not having played the game I can't really relate it to its use in game either.

This is probably one of those cases where that's a good thing.

The thing with SatBK's soundtrack: the most memorable tune for me is a remix of a helicopter game's soundtrack. Pretty much nothing else sticks out (other than a few measures of the main theme).

I'm listening to the soundtrack now... I must say, I like the more laidback Celtic music they use for menus and such. Not very Sonic-y, but I like it all the same.

"Crystal Lake" is Drossin's other track, then? I actually rather like this. It's a bit more atmospheric, but it's touching all the right feelings for me. "Molten Mine"'s still the runaway favorite here, but I like this too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom