• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uncle Chuck is one the cover of the very next issue, so I'm gonna have to say probably not.

EDIT: Speaking of which, I had no idea you could pre-order the comics on Google Play, so now I have a way of getting the comics on my own now.

Here's one. Geoffrey and Elias are the only two that immediately matter. Everyone else has either already been written out or are minor enough that they won't be missed in the first place.

Thanks. Sadly there are still quite a few names on that list I generally like (Like the echidnas, darnit), still sucks. Thankfully some characters I do like (hello Mina) were not created by Penders so all is well. Maybe.

Right now, it's gonna take a lot of getting used to...need to see how the comics are after a few months. This seems like quite the reboot.

So I just had a friend justify Sonic 06's abysmal frame rate because "hey, maybe the creators wanted it to be that way. To emphasis the coolness of the actions, ya know? Kinda like Slow-mo". And he was serious.

I don't know man, there's denial... and then there's that kinda shit.

That's right up there with the hardcore NG2 defenders on all the slowdown in that game.

"C'mon, you think Itagaki would let something that bad be in his game? I can't believe some people don't think that shit was intentional, lol scrubs"

Time for my thoughts on Fire Emblem: Awakening. Be forewarned, it is long, and it kinda goes into the story, although I did my best to not talk about it too much.

I beat Fire Emblem: Awakening, the latest entry in the Fire Emblem franchise, back on Friday, much to my satisfaction. Since I started the game roughly in early August, playing it on and off, that means I have spent a lot of time with the game, its story, and its cast of characters. Indeed, I put in around 70 hours worth of time into this game, and as such I feel as though I should put all of my thoughts down while everything is still fresh.

Now, Awakening is not my first experience with the franchise (that would go to Blazing Sword, or simply known as Fire Emblem in the West), but I am also not by any means an expert on the series. I haven't played any of the games that weren't released outside of Japan, with the exception of Binding Blade (and even then I have only played a small portion of it). For that matter, I am also not an expert on SRPGs, as beside Fire Emblem, I have had very limited exposure to the genre.

That said, let's move on to the actual analysis of the game, shall we?

The premise when Intelligent Systems designed Awakening was to prepare for the possibility that this game was, in fact, going to be THE final Fire Emblem title. The series overall had been in a decline in recent years, and it was determined that if the next game failed to sell a certain amount of units, the franchise would be retired. Due to this, IS decided that the next game should be a celebration of the entire series, and therefore did its best to incorporate nearly every gameplay element from all of the previous games, and have bonuses that involved fighting characters from the previous FE characters (in a place that is known as the "Outrealm"). Now, there are a lot of gameplay elements that were unique to the previous games, and seeing some of these features return is really neat, such as the map from Sacred Stones, the skill system from Genealogy of the Holy War, and so on and so forth. While it would seem that throwing all of these features into one big pot would call for something decidedly messy, IS somehow managed to make it all work together. One new thing they added that I liked was the inclusion of a choice between a "Casual" and a "Classic" mode. In Casual, your units will not die when defeated in combat, but in Classic you got your typical permadeath set in place. It's a nice choice for those who want the classic FE feel, and for those who just want to have a nice and easy time. For the record, my run was on Classic/Hard.

The story is standard fair for the series. The main character is Chrom, the brother to the Exalt of Ylisse and commander of a ragtag group of warriors known as the Shepards. Although the Halidom of Ylisse promotes peace, their neighboring country, Plegia, is ruled by the Mad King Gangrel, who wants nothing more than to start a war and destroy the Halidom, because of the wrongs Chrom's father commited years ago on Plegia. The biggest difference compared to most other Fire Emblem games is the inclusion of the "My unit" character--a character that you create and name at the beginning of the game. This is a feature similar to the avatar character you name in Blazing Sword, only in this game this character actually plays a large role in the story, and can participate in battles. While it's cool and all, I don't really like it. Personally, I feel that too much of the game went out of its way to make the story into the "Chrom and My Unit Show" with the other characters kind of thrown into the background. Even Chrom's sister, Lissa, and his right-hand man, Frederick, get reduced to some sparse lines toward the end of the game, which is... kind of pathetic really.

Overall, the story really isn't anything to write home about. Not only does it follow the same path that the previous games paved, it also suffers from feeling very disjointed by being broken up into three very obvious story arcs, with the second arc feeling like total filler. Seriously, does anyone know how this empire just sprang up, conquered nearly the entire neighboring continent, and no one seemed to know about it until they were literally RIGHT at their doorstep? Never mind this whole diversion has nothing to do with the rest of the game, so why are we wasting 9 chapters on this? Couldn't they have at least foreshadowed these events in the first arc? Then you throw in some wiggidy-wackness involving time travel and everything just gets lovely. The pacing is incredibly fast, too. Even in the first arc, which is probably the best of the three, everything moves so quickly. Immediately in the 1st chapter, you have the dead falling out of the sky and a few chapters later you have Plegia trying to start a war. I think it would have been nice if the game at least spent one or two chapters at the beginning, where you just perform some oddities as a Shepard, protecting the citizens from bandits and the like, in order to help build better purpose to fighting for Ylisse, and maybe even flesh the world out better. I'm thinking of something like Path of Radiance, where the first couple chapters are spent with Ike and his group simply working as mercenaries (which reminds me, I should totally replay that game).

Characters are good, for the most part. Some of them I feel tend to fall into cliches pretty badly, however. There are also characters that I feel suffered from it. Take Gaius, for example. He's your typical thief that you recruit in Fire Emblem. Now, don't get me wrong, I like Gaius. But I guess IS felt he was too typical, and so they gave him a personality quirk in the form of an addiction to sweets. Therefore, expect him to constantly make sugar puns, such as: "Sweet." "Like taking candy from a babe!" "What a cupcake!" "Piece of cake!" "Su...gar..." Oh wait, that last one wasn't even a pun.

Some of the characters need to die in a horrible fire, however. Namely, Nowi the loli dragon. Although I did find it to be amusing that her daughter ends up far more mature and actually belittles her mother on her childish nature.

Music is all well and good in this game, I have no complaints that I can think of. Some of it is really nice. Might be kind of an obvious choice, but one of my favorite pieces in particular was this one. The composers did a great job.

My biggest issue with the game is that it is very easy to break the difficulty, making any semblance of balance non-existant. For those who are familiar with Sacred Stones, you could probably understand why, since you can easily just stop what you are doing and grind in skirmishes. What's more, you can also fight Spotpass teams, or participate in the DLC to raise your troops. To make it even more pathetically easy, a new feature they introduced in this game is the ability to pair up troops in battle. While technically the ability to pair up was present in previous games, never before could they actually fight side-by-side in the same battle. A paired up unit can attack enemies for additional damage, protect allies from incoming attacks, and also provide passive stat bonuses. And if the two units have a support rank, then the higher it is the more likely the paired unit is to assist in the battle. It really begs the question of, unless you are doing some kind of challenge run, why would you NOT want to use it? It doesn't even help that the AI is dumber than bricks and just mindlessly run to their death against the killing machines you trained.

For those who don't know, supports are conversations between two units who have fought side-by-side for a certain amount. They have been in the earlier games, so it's no surprise to see them return for the latest installment. The big changers are that you can have an almost unlimited amount of supports, compared to the previous games which imposed a limit of 5 support convos per unit, and the marriage system, which was a feature that was taken from Genealogy of the Holy War. As you build up your support between two units, the bonuses they receive by standing side-by-side in battle increases, and if you get two units married, they obtain an "S" rank support, which basically guarantees that they will help each other in battle. They also have babies. And the babies fight. Oh, do they fight. If you play your cards right, the children become some of the most horrendously broken units in the game. And then, you can pair the children up with one another and then they also build supports and fall in love and get married, making them even more horrendously broken than they were before. Thankfully, they don't have kids as well... unless you decide to marry the "My unit" character to one of them, because apparently you don't give two-shits that you might be marrying your best friend Chrom's daughter or whatever.

Also, the maps are bland as can be. Why is is that all of the mission objectives now boil down to, "Rout the enemy" or "Defeat the commander"? What happened to the ones where you had to defend yourself for a certain amount of turns? What happened to the chapters that had extra incentives to go above and beyond the requirements to fulfill, like bosses that were optional to fight? The map design is really weak in this game, too. Too many chapters take place in open fields, with some random forests or whatever strewn about. There's not even many indoor chapters, and even then they tend to be pretty spacious. What happened to having chapters that would be plagued with fog, that would limit your perception, or the maps with bottlenecks or breakable walls that the enemy would at least try to take advantage of? The next FE really needs to step up its game in this deparment.

All in all, Fire Emblem: Awakening isn't a bad game per se, as I most certainly did get my money's worth out of it, and I did enjoy playing it. The game, however, does have many undeniable issues that plague it, which really brings the whole experience down. If I were to recommend someone to the series, I would still possibly recommend either getting Blazing Sword of Path of Radiance over this game, but it isn't by any means a terrible starting place. The game just feels rushed, and it shows in various areas, most noticeably with the story. That said, the game did manage to accomplish what it set out to do, and broke sale records for the entire series, no doubt saving the franchise from jaws of death. I can only hope that when IS releases the next mainline FE game that they take the elements that made Awakening fun to play and improve upon them, while also improving upon the weaker elements such as the story and map design. Awakening is simply lacking the polish for me to consider it as a worthy contender as the best game in the franchise.

BlackJace

I happen to really like Awakening, but it definitely isn't without its faults.

It's really easy to break the game, and the map design (not aesthetics) is really lacking. Chokepoints are nigh useless.

And it pissed me off how every unit of the enemy would go across the fuckin map to bumrush your poor small squad of 9.

Noi

I agree with this review.

Also worth adding is that besides the game being easy to break, the difficulty balance is just completely non-existent in the first place. Hard mode may as well be called Normal mode, but Extreme mode is basically borderline masochistic and requires you to own the grinding DLC to make it through at all. Get one level-up stat wrong, and it becomes impossible to clear the first map in the game after the tutorial. The game is either too easy, or too hard, and you have so many subsystems working in your favor that anything that isn't extreme eventually becomes a cakewalk unless you purposefully gimp yourself.

The story also suffers from how incoherent the extra gameplay elements can make it. You can fill up your whole army with characters from past FE games, but these have absolutely no effect on the plot, making your already insignificant army members feel even more pointless. You can do the Marth DLC and have 3 different versions of Marth in your army, but no one will ever point this out cause the DLC doesn't do any justice to the past characters. It's possible to grind yourself to "max" levels and stats really early, but some maps still have you lose battles because of story reasons even if your characters could easily trounce whatever is "beating" them.

The support conversations themselves also took a nosedive in quality. In the past, because you were limited on the number of supports, it made getting an actual S rank support have a payoff when it comes to the conversations themselves, even going so far as to have character development in them. In Awakening, because damn near every character can get married, and My Unit can get married with everyone of the opposing gender, none of the supports feel unique anymore. They very easily boil down to "Introduction > Getting to know each other > Love > Marriage", but since you can only marry one person, it means that there's no payoff in the conversations for any other character. Even A rank supports in FE7 felt special and conclusive, but Awakening's cuts them short before anything truly interesting happens.

In addition, I feel adding Casual/Classic in addition to all the extra subsystems was a mistake. It really should have just been Casual only, because even having a unit die in Classic has little to no penalty. In past FEs, if your beefy tank unit died, you suddenly had a huge gap that took a lot of effort to replace. In Awakening, if the same unit died, the game's class system lets every unit take up damn near every role anyway, so there's absolutely no penalty for it. These two comics actually highlight it best, at one point I had Tharja running around as a Great Knight and doing a good job at that. Hell, because she was a dark mage originally, she had more defense and magic defense than my other character who started as a knight. It's as painless as can be, to the point where the only reason you'd reset on classic is if you like a character that died.

I liked the game as well, but it's pretty much on a "played it once, liked it, never playing it again" basis. I still like to replay FE7 at least once a year. That game is still rock solid, has better animations, doesn't have 50 girls wearing stockings nor people with no feet. Awakening definitely feels more like an Anniversary/Celebration spin-off game than a real entry in the series, and it's my fear that Nintendo will look at the sales of it and go "Yo Inti, do more of that instead of what you did before".

Noi's right, Awkward Zombie is pretty great.

comic318_zpsea475586.png

BlackJace

xj8SgJ0.png

Like, this is what infuriated me about Awakening the most. In previous games, the enemy would gradually send its units toward you when you entered a certain proximity. Some were clustered in the NW corner, the center, the SW corner, etc.

In Awakening, it doesn't fucking matter, the AI is programmed to blitzkrieg your ass, no matter if they will have to travel across the map for 5 turns.
LLShC.gif

It adds unnecessary stress to me, especially in maps where you're only given 9 or so units.

Noi

That reminds of the infurating change to how reinforcements worked too. In past games, reinforcements popped up and ended their turn, giving you a chance to react to the new situation. In Awakening, they show up and act immediately, essentially eliminating any chance for strategy against them. Most often you just resorted to taking a hit and then dealing with the reinforcement, but it still feels like an unnecessary change.

BlackJace

That reminds of the infurating change to how reinforcements worked too. In past games, reinforcements popped up and ended their turn, giving you a chance to react to the new situation. In Awakening, they show up and act immediately, essentially eliminating any chance for strategy against them. Most often you just resorted to taking a hit and then dealing with the reinforcement, but it still feels like an unnecessary change.

From what I understand, Awakening's reinforcement system is how some of the past games did it.

But yeah, it sucks big time. It wouldn't be AS bad, but they actually had the nerve to put fucking flying reinforcements which would nail you almost assuredly.

Awakening's difficulty curve is flat out off, which is to say the dastardly scourge of video games, the unholy grinding starts sneaking its way in. The point between the end of the games first arc and jumping into the second was like this sudden level jump with even chump units wielding some classy weaponry, I barely had any of my units upgraded at this point and it became pretty clear that I was supposed to be a bit higher leveled than I actually was. Once I got past that little hurdle by finally surrendering to playing some optional encounters the many side chapters all spring up, the multiple special abilities start being learned and then it turns into one of those games that damn near wants you to make yourself as powerful giving you many tools to do so, almost like it wants you to break the game and grind up a team of gods if you're so inclined to. Nuts to that, my finely tuned path of radiance with its well done difficulty curve (that's actually pretty easy but whatever) that doesn't even present grinding opportunities just shines all the brighter to me now.
I also felt like there should've been another difficulty in between normal and hard to counteract this somewhat since Normal is a doddle and Hard is inconsistent (and has those awful reinforcements that move on the turn they arrive) but oh well.

Still good though.

So many tutorials in Dream Team.

so many tutorials
Obligatory "I tried to warn you all" post

Noi

From what I understand, Awakening's reinforcement system is how some of the past games did it.

But yeah, it sucks big time. It wouldn't be AS bad, but they actually had the nerve to put fucking flying reinforcements which would nail you almost assuredly.

Yeah well those past games were dumb too and that got fixed for FE7-10. We didn't need the bad type of reinforcements again!

Nuts to that, my finely tuned path of radiance with its well done difficulty curve (that's actually pretty easy but whatever) that doesn't even present grinding opportunities just shines all the brighter to me now.
I also felt like there should've been another difficulty in between normal and hard to counteract this somewhat since Normal is a doddle and Hard is inconsistent (and has those awful reinforcements that move on the turn they arrive) but oh well.

Personally, the only thing "off" in PoR was Post-Aether Ike. Aether was so hilariously broken there (and still is in the current games, just a bit less so) that once Ike got Aether, he could solo whole maps because he'd just heal up any damage done to him. I remember doing the final map with solo Ike and a healer, but had he not been there, then the normal mooks would have been evenly matched with my army. Even the Laguz King that you get for the final battle has a rough time alone compared to Ike.

So, er, that OST for Sonic: After The Sequel is real fucking good. If you guys aren't sure what your Track of the Year is yet, it's this.

But. There's so fucking much of it. :lol The OST is mammoth. It touches on pretty much every type of sound Sonic has had in the last 22 years, and it's almost exhausting at times. I guess that's a good thing.

Falk and the rest of the lads really knocked that one out of the park.

I should probably play those after/before the sequel games at some point, it's easier for me to connect with a soundtrack by playing the game itself.

In completely unrelated news to Sonic as par the course I finally got 100% scans in Metroid Prime, after about ten runs it was bound to happen at some stage even if I had to use the MPT new game plus like feature of carrying over scans to do so just for Flaahgra Tentacle and Mega Turret.
I've earned an odd sense of satisfaction at any rate.

Yeah well those past games were dumb too and that got fixed for FE7-10. We didn't need the bad type of reinforcements again!
I like when people sometimes try to defend the reinforcements out of nowhere by mentioning how chapter bosses sometimes tell of the reinforcements impending arrival, except all this means is you know that you will get mugged in like 2 or 3 turns and onward but not sure from where which either leads to you standing in forts/staircases using your arse as the magical reinforcement plug or just hoping they turn up at least a turns distance away from you as you from a box around your weaker units.

Personally, the only thing "off" in PoR was Post-Aether Ike. Aether was so hilariously broken there (and still is in the current games, just a bit less so) that once Ike got Aether, he could solo whole maps because he'd just heal up any damage done to him. I remember doing the final map with solo Ike and a healer, but had he not been there, then the normal mooks would have been evenly matched with my army. Even the Laguz King that you get for the final battle has a rough time alone compared to Ike.
On top of this you could have Oscar support Ike for the evasion bonus just to really drive the cheesing home but I guess that removes the solo aspect.

Anth0ny

I'm enjoying the shit out of Awakening at the moment. It's my first Fire Emblem game, and I definitely regret waiting so long to get into the series. Just reached chapter 16, hoping to wrap it up by the time Pokemon launches.

Speaking of waiting too long to play games, I finally finished Super Metroid for the first time.

Yup. One of the greatest games I've ever played. I never thought I'd change my top 10 games of all time list, but I think the time has come. Everything about this game has completely blown me away. The controls, the pacing, the story telling, the mood, the art style, the music, the sense of isolation... I can go on and on.

There isn't really anything I could say that hasn't already been said. I don't feel like making a LTTP thread is even necessary. The game is a fucking masterpiece, and if you haven't played it, pick it up for Super Famicom or SNES, or just grab it on Wii/Wii U Virtual Console. Now. I haven't felt this strongly about a game this entire generation (i.e the last 8 years) with the exception of Dark Souls and the Galaxy games.

I knew I wasn't just a cynical, bitter asshole... they really did just make games better back in the day! :p

Dr. Buni

So, er, that OST for Sonic: After The Sequel is real fucking good. If you guys aren't sure what your Track of the Year is yet, it's this.

But. There's so fucking much of it. :lol The OST is mammoth. It touches on pretty much every type of sound Sonic has had in the last 22 years, and it's almost exhausting at times. I guess that's a good thing.

Falk and the rest of the lads really knocked that one out of the park.

The whole soundtrack is fucking gorgeous. No, actually the whole game is an amazing experience for any Classic Sonic fan. I love it.

Speaking of waiting too long to play games, I finally finished Super Metroid for the first time.

Yup. One of the greatest games I've ever played. I never thought I'd change my top 10 games of all time list, but I think the time has come. Everything about this game has completely blown me away. The controls, the pacing, the story telling, the mood, the art style, the music, the sense of isolation... I can go on and on.

There isn't really anything I could say that hasn't already been said. I don't feel like making a LTTP thread is even necessary. The game is a fucking masterpiece, and if you haven't played it, pick it up for Super Famicom or SNES, or just grab it on Wii/Wii U Virtual Console. Now. I haven't felt this strongly about a game this entire generation (i.e the last 8 years) with the exception of Dark Souls and the Galaxy games.

I knew I wasn't just a cynical, bitter asshole... they really did just make games better back in the day! :p

Good, another person's seen the light.

The story also suffers from how incoherent the extra gameplay elements can make it. You can fill up your whole army with characters from past FE games, but these have absolutely no effect on the plot, making your already insignificant army members feel even more pointless. You can do the Marth DLC and have 3 different versions of Marth in your army, but no one will ever point this out cause the DLC doesn't do any justice to the past characters. It's possible to grind yourself to "max" levels and stats really early, but some maps still have you lose battles because of story reasons even if your characters could easily trounce whatever is "beating" them.

I don't really expect the game's story to acknowledge DLC Marth's that I can recruit, but I will say that was another thing that really bothered me about the second arc in the game. In Path of Radiance, a large portion of the game was about building an army that could stand up to the military power that chased you out of your home, and it honestly felt, with the way the game was played out, that you were building just that--an army. From having Ike just communicating with random soldiers, it really felt like shit was getting done. I never once felt that way in Awakening, yet somehow--SOMEHOW--your pathetic ragtag group manages to cause the fall of an empire that nearly conquered an entire continent... by doing what? You reclaimed a fortress, and then ditched it cause it was a stupid plan in the first place, and then managed to defeat one of Valm's top commanders by acting suicidal by heading to a volcano, and then you decide to just waltz up to their capital's front doors and say "FIGHT MEEEEEEEEEEE" and win. Okay.

Also, the whole thing with Excellus was stupid.

The support conversations themselves also took a nosedive in quality. In the past, because you were limited on the number of supports, it made getting an actual S rank support have a payoff when it comes to the conversations themselves, even going so far as to have character development in them. In Awakening, because damn near every character can get married, and My Unit can get married with everyone of the opposing gender, none of the supports feel unique anymore. They very easily boil down to "Introduction > Getting to know each other > Love > Marriage", but since you can only marry one person, it means that there's no payoff in the conversations for any other character. Even A rank supports in FE7 felt special and conclusive, but Awakening's cuts them short before anything truly interesting happens.

Yeah. Some of them weren't bad, but others were just... really poor. Especially the father/child supports.

In addition, I feel adding Casual/Classic in addition to all the extra subsystems was a mistake. It really should have just been Casual only, because even having a unit die in Classic has little to no penalty. In past FEs, if your beefy tank unit died, you suddenly had a huge gap that took a lot of effort to replace. In Awakening, if the same unit died, the game's class system lets every unit take up damn near every role anyway, so there's absolutely no penalty for it. These two comics actually highlight it best, at one point I had Tharja running around as a Great Knight and doing a good job at that. Hell, because she was a dark mage originally, she had more defense and magic defense than my other character who started as a knight. It's as painless as can be, to the point where the only reason you'd reset on classic is if you like a character that died.

I agree with what you are saying, but I feel that for the future of the franchise, which I hope will go back to a more traditional structure (AKA no overworld and no reclassing), it'll be a good choice to have for people who want to get into the series but would otherwise be intimidated by the permadeath. For this game, it feels wholly unnecessary for the reasons you gave, and also because I found that dying became rare after a point.

I liked the game as well, but it's pretty much on a "played it once, liked it, never playing it again" basis. I still like to replay FE7 at least once a year. That game is still rock solid, has better animations, doesn't have 50 girls wearing stockings nor people with no feet. Awakening definitely feels more like an Anniversary/Celebration spin-off game than a real entry in the series, and it's my fear that Nintendo will look at the sales of it and go "Yo Inti, do more of that instead of what you did before".

I generally don't replay FE games... I mean, I guess I've replayed FE7 a lot, but I've only ever beaten it once. Really should fix that. As for the future, I really hope IS takes a look and sees what worked and what didn't, and makes some honest-to-goodness improvements. I have high hopes for the next installment, because I think that it has the potential to be really good.

Like, this is what infuriated me about Awakening the most. In previous games, the enemy would gradually send its units toward you when you entered a certain proximity. Some were clustered in the NW corner, the center, the SW corner, etc.

In Awakening, it doesn't fucking matter, the AI is programmed to blitzkrieg your ass, no matter if they will have to travel across the map for 5 turns.

It adds unnecessary stress to me, especially in maps where you're only given 9 or so units.

Yeah, I hated that too. To hell if the earlier games did it! I kinda felt this was IS's logic when it came to the enemy placement on maps:

"This map is too easy--the enemies just keep dying because of how broken the difficulty is!"

"Then let's slap some reinforcements in! That'll fix it, for sure!"

That really plays back to what I was saying about the map design. If they spent less time shoving reinforcements into everything, and more into actually designing creative maps with creative conditions, it would have been a far richer experience.

Also, like I mentioned before, the way the enemies just came at you was really pathetic. By the end of the game, they were just running up to my dudes and getting slaughtered. It got to the point where it didn't matter if an enemy flier appeared out of nowhere, because my guys could more or less handle it.

I'm enjoying the shit out of Awakening at the moment. It's my first Fire Emblem game, and I definitely regret waiting so long to get into the series. Just reached chapter 16, hoping to wrap it up by the time Pokemon launches.

If you are enjoying Awakening, I would highly recommend giving the earlier games a shot, especially Fire Emblem for GBA and Path of Radiance for GCN. Stay away from Shadow Dragon, though.
I can't stand that game.

Noi

I agree with what you are saying, but I feel that for the future of the franchise, which I hope will go back to a more traditional structure (AKA no overworld and no reclassing), it'll be a good choice to have for people who want to get into the series but would otherwise be intimidated by the permadeath. For this game, it feels wholly unnecessary for the reasons you gave, and also because I found that dying became rare after a point.

Oh yeah, I agree with you there. A casual mode was pretty overdue, I'm just mentioning how the game is clearly balanced around casual mode and very little thought was put into Classic. Classic actually becomes a hindrance if you end up doing the DLC/Spotpass/Streetpass fights, because that content was designed around being endlessly repeated and not have a specific one-time goal like the normal stages. It totally makes sense for a character to permanently die in a story chapter that actually moves the plot forward. It makes no sense for you to lose them permanently in a non-canonical alternate dimension that really has nothing to do with the main game.

BHZ Mayor

So I just had a friend justify Sonic 06's abysmal frame rate because "hey, maybe the creators wanted it to be that way. To emphasis the coolness of the actions, ya know? Kinda like Slow-mo". And he was serious.

I don't know man, there's denial... and then there's that kinda shit.

When I was younger before I knew about the technical side of games, I used to think this about games in general since framerate drops usually happened in action-heavy moments.

I thought slow down happened when there was too much awesome shit going on the screen and the game couldn't handle it as a kid.

I was basically right.

Noi

This is also what Shadow of the Colossus fans were trained to think.

Ironically enough, the game's climbing mechanics were programmed with the slowdown in mind. The HD collection fixes the slowdown, but as a result breaks the mechanics and makes some of the colossi borderline sadistic.

PKrockin

Reinforcements that move on the turn they appear is absolute bullshit. Unless you keep squishier units encircled at the end of every turn all you can do is hope a wyvern rider never shows up to shove a lance right up your cleric's ass. I'm okay with the game OHKOing my cleric if I put them in a position of vulnerability, but in this case the positions of vulnerability almost stretch across the entire map.

I also wish they would go back to their tradition of making grinding impractical instead of encouraged. It leads to uneven difficulty.

Joining the winning team PK.

Ironically enough, the game's climbing mechanics were programmed with the slowdown in mind. The HD collection fixes the slowdown, but as a result breaks the mechanics and makes some of the colossi borderline sadistic.

If i'm not mistaken the HD version is also built upon the PAL version with its shakier and less static Colossi on top of this point, the fun of preparing to strike and then wobbling all over the place far more often then you really should.

AniHawk

all of the american-released fire emblems are pretty good, but awakening is the best. it's the first super revamp of the series since it appeared on the snes.

as far as the other ones you should look into:

fire emblem (gba): this will seem really bare-bones compared to awakening, but some heavy stuff happens in the story and it's just gosh-darn fun to play.

fire emblem: the sacred stones (gba): sacred stones should play a lot more like awakening, as i think it was the first one with a world map and the ability to level all your characters (to the point of overlevelling). the story isn't very memorable though.

fire emblem: shadow dragon (ds): i'll admit, i had a ton of fun with this game, but i skipped every bit about the story and just played the maps. it's a remake of the very first fire emblem, so the story was going to be pretty thin anyway.

fire emblem: path of radiance (gc): this is a favorite for many people. one of the things they do is introduce a pooled exp system, so everyone will gain experience through battles, and then at the end of a chapter, there will be experience points to spread out to people who didn't even participate in the battle. the gamecube version of this game is pretty difficult- 'normal' is the japanese 'hard' mode. it has a good cast of badass characters

fire emblem: radiant dawn (wii): the direct sequel to path of radiance. your data from path of radiance does transfer over in some ways, but it's not required to fully enjoy the game (they sorta nerf some of the more awesome characters). for me, this was the most difficult entry in the series i've played so far, especially because of its final battle, which can take up to and exceed more than two hours to complete.

the ones we never saw in the us are 2-6. i would like to see genealogy of holy war (4) and thracia 776 (5) some day. the former was considered by many to be the best in the series, and thracia is considered by many to be the most difficult.

TheOGB

Banned
So I was playing the Etrian Oddyssey Untold demo a while ago, having a good time, when suddenly: Yuzo Koshiro. I had to look the song up immediately after I entered the shop and heard it
while being introduced to a character that looks like Sheva from RE5 in her native costume if she were moe... That was... unexpected, to say the least.
and that was almost a mind-blow to find out he's been composing music for the series. I was just listening to the Streets of Rage 2 soundtrack just before playing this game!

It was a lot like finding out Shinji Hosoe was behind some of my favorite Tekken Tag Tournament 2 songs after he did a lot of my favorite Street Fighter EX tracks.

More time to play Xenoblade, then.

Which I did practically all afternoon yesterday. Including a whole hour of gem crafting. I'd feel better about it if I'd remembered to have dinner.

Anth0ny

all of the american-released fire emblems are pretty good, but awakening is the best. it's the first super revamp of the series since it appeared on the snes.

as far as the other ones you should look into:

fire emblem (gba): this will seem really bare-bones compared to awakening, but some heavy stuff happens in the story and it's just gosh-darn fun to play.

fire emblem: the sacred stones (gba): sacred stones should play a lot more like awakening, as i think it was the first one with a world map and the ability to level all your characters (to the point of overlevelling). the story isn't very memorable though.

fire emblem: shadow dragon (ds): i'll admit, i had a ton of fun with this game, but i skipped every bit about the story and just played the maps. it's a remake of the very first fire emblem, so the story was going to be pretty thin anyway.

fire emblem: path of radiance (gc): this is a favorite for many people. one of the things they do is introduce a pooled exp system, so everyone will gain experience through battles, and then at the end of a chapter, there will be experience points to spread out to people who didn't even participate in the battle. the gamecube version of this game is pretty difficult- 'normal' is the japanese 'hard' mode. it has a good cast of badass characters

fire emblem: radiant dawn (wii): the direct sequel to path of radiance. your data from path of radiance does transfer over in some ways, but it's not required to fully enjoy the game (they sorta nerf some of the more awesome characters). for me, this was the most difficult entry in the series i've played so far, especially because of its final battle, which can take up to and more than two hours to complete.

the ones we never saw in the us are 2-6. i would like to see genealogy of holy war (4) and thracia 776 (5) some day. the former was considered by many to be the best in the series, and thracia is considered by many to be the most difficult.

Thanks for the breakdown! I'm definitely interested in checking out some of the other FE games after I finish with Awakening.

Good God... my friend... I can't... I just...

According to him, he just vindicated Elise! IN HIS MIND, HE DID! AND THE BALL PUZZLE!

I have never seen such hardcore denial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom