• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it's terrible, but in an 80's action movie way.

It's hilariously bad yet surprisingly competent in areas. It's weird. It's a shameless rip off that tries.

I thought it was a pretty good addition from the four hours I played Skyward Sword before Xenoblade took over my Wii U. A little annoying if you let it run out too often, but the ability to run everywhere in a 3D Zelda outweighed that heavily.

First off, it's just this ugly distracting lime-green thing UI that follows you the whole game. You get maybe five seconds to run before you go back to your too-damn-slow default speed, and it's always beeping(why does everything freakin' beep in this game) because our Hero of Time can't run 6 seconds without stopping. You start playing this little meta-game of "I bet I can run to that platform/area/door before my meter runs out and the beeping starts again", and this goes on for 40 hours. And it's not just basic movement, but rope balancing, underground crawling, all kinds of things are now that much slower to do. I mean, say what you will about TP but at least I could roll wherever the hell I wanted to through this way too big game.

It's one of those games that has a lot of brilliant moments and areas and things, but it just pecks away at your sanity with so much tedious shit. The slow text-speeds, Fi's obvious comments, the stamina meter's unnecessary limit on how, the dowsing, the superfluous motion controls(underhand bomb throwing? Swimming? the bird? ugh), so many damn fetch quests, the too thin story stretched out to forever and I stopped caring halfway through, the segmented overworld, the repeat bosses, the obvious filler sections...you just throw your hands in the air and say screw it after awhile.

The 3D series has just gotten so bloated and packed with dubious design decisions, longer cutscenes, more filler and assorted pacing issues, it's actually pretty frustrating. It makes me think that console Zelda might never trim that fat in favor of a faster-paced gameplay driven experience again.

But that's what LttP2 is for I suppose

qq more

In speaking of 3D Zelda. Outside of the slow sailing (I know about the HD remake, still refuse to pay 50 when I already own it for GC), Wind Waker's pacing is pretty damn nice for what it's worth. At least from what I've been playing so far... but yeah.

PKrockin

Climbing is far, far faster than any previous Zelda game, and it's the special movement you do the most. TP was agonizing in this regard.
Running is a bit slower but the areas are more condensed than TP so it doesn't matter.
Rope balancing is hardly ever done.
Crawling/digging was kind of slow, yeah.
Let's not forget climbing up things is just a hop and skip now instead of stopping, reaching up and pulling yourself up.

The stamina meter was a cool addition because it let Link interact with the environment a little more, and more fluidly.

If it bothers you so much you should really apply the Gecko OS code for infinite stamina... and instant text, and disabled notifications. :p Hell, you can go further by pressing C to fly at boost ring speed, faster sprinting speed, sprinting indoors, instant charging Skyward Strike, instant harp playing...

the superfluous motion controls(underhand bomb throwing?)
That's it JC, you and me, lets rumble.
I have to defend bomb rolling, it was the only thing that made bomb usage actually somewhat enjoyable in like the entire series.

As the stamina meter, good idea but it really needed to get upgrades during the game to increase the stamina time.

PKrockin

I wasn't going to bring it up since he was just going on a tangent about all the aspects of SS he didn't like, but what is everyone's problem with bomb rolling? They can't point the Wii Remote down-ish and then flick it up?

Razzer

I always feel uncomfortable talking about what I liked about SS and didn't because it was my first and only Zelda game so I don't know what is considered good by series standards. All I know is that the dungeons were awesome and the areas before them were also awesome, which I believe some older Zelda fans didn't like as it was a change of format or something? With regards to the controls and stamina, I found that I had no problems with any of the controls really. Even swimming and flying would respond however I liked with about 10 minutes practice. The stamina did need upgrades as mentioned though, with the sections designed around managing it tweaked to compensate maybe.

In speaking of 3D Zelda. Outside of the slow sailing (I know about the HD remake, still refuse to pay 50 when I already own it for GC), Wind Waker's pacing is pretty damn nice for what it's worth. At least from what I've been playing so far... but yeah.

Can't help you have no taste in games. 8)

I always feel uncomfortable talking about what I liked about SS and didn't because it was my first and only Zelda game so I don't know what is considered good by series standards. All I know is that the dungeons were awesome and the areas before them were also awesome, which I believe some older Zelda fans didn't like as it was a change of format or something? With regards to the controls and stamina, I found that I had no problems with any of the controls really. Even swimming and flying would respond however I liked with about 10 minutes practice. The stamina did need upgrades as mentioned though, with the sections designed around managing it tweaked to compensate maybe.

Don't feel uncomfortable. I am a long-time Zelda fan and I thoroughly enjoyed SS. Was it perfect? Nah, but most games aren't. Any issues I have with the game are minor.

I wasn't going to bring it up since he was just going on a tangent about all the aspects of SS he didn't like, but what is everyone's problem with bomb rolling? They can't point the Wii Remote down-ish and then flick it up?

Peoples tolerance levels for these things seem to vary drastically, to this day I'm often surprised that some people have trouble using Fluzzard in SMG2 to the point its considered detrimental to the game (with his whole 2 stages), the Loftwing in SS is a bit more involved but once again I thought it was pretty breezy to control. But you know in the end I can't really tell them they're doing it wrong or anything as you can just not like certain control functions, for me I really don't like game control that requires heavy point and click usage for character movement and I don't like Gyro stuff too much either so we've all got our control gripes. Really the bigger issue around here seems more to be people not being able to separate their dislike of control schemes with the actual quality of the controls.

Though speaking of bomb rolling one of my friends did tell me that he initially thought it to not work properly and was ready to condemn it, until he actually looked at how he was holding the wii remote and realised it wasn't actually angled straight down, sometimes it helps to see what you're actually doing.
Swimming is the only one control quirk that catches me out in SS since making tight turns when required can get a bit fiddly. Also in more hectic sword fights when you want to quickly move the sword from right to left but accidentally swing it instead.

Thinking about it Wario Ware Smooth Moves was probably a greater Wii remote teacher then I ever imagined.

I really don't think it is wise to write off the entire English voice acting based on 4-5 lines that are out of context, with trailer music playing in the background.

I don't think I did write it off considering I immediately followed my comment on it up with "but maybe it's just how it was presented in the trailer so who knows, it could be hunky dory."

I don't think I did write it off considering I immediately followed my comment on it up with "but maybe it's just how it was presented in the trailer so who knows, it could be hunky dory."

Sorry, my post wasn't directed toward you specifically. I was referring to the people in the topic that was made on Discussion.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #3

Song: Sky Canyon Act 2
Game: Sonic Advance 2
Composer: Uncertain; I suspect it's Teruhiko Nakagawa, but Tatsutuki Maeda and Yutaka Minobe are also possibilities

This one's fairly new even to me; Advance 2 isn't a game I've revisited much in the last decade, and it all blurs together when I do. The same goes for its music, most of which ceases to be interesting immediately after the intro. Some of it rises above the rest, though, like this piece.

The highlight here's definitely the bit immediately after the intro, which is straight up yelling that it is PARTY TIME. The rest of the track isn't so blatantly exuberant, but I dig the steady bassline driving the pace along and the brass licks, and the melody keeps changing itself up before any given section wears out its welcome, unlike so much of the rest of the soundtrack. And then it loops straight back into party mode. The end result is one of the series' few GBA tracks that I don't feel is being held back by its system of origin.

Sweet and upbeat.

Sorry, my post wasn't directed toward you specifically. I was referring to the people in the topic that was made on Discussion.

Oh, fair enough. Now worries :)

I'm sure it could turn out okay, but I do kinda wish Side or someone was handling the voice work. Kinda want more British dubs in my games after Pandora's Tower and Xenoblade.

I love British accents, but I honestly didn't really like Xenoblade's English dub. Something about it felt... off. And don't get me started on Inazuma Eleven's dub (or its localization in general), not after what Nintendo did to the theme song.

Composer: Uncertain; I suspect it's Teruhiko Nakagawa, but Tatsutuki Maeda and Yutaka Minobe are also possibilities
Just reading this put Act 1's theme in my head. I was surprised I was able to so clearly remember it when a lot of the soundtrack, as amazing as it was at the time, kind of blurs together from years of not replaying this game.

Fun story with this one. It was late 2002 or so, and I'd gotten used to lurking various forums. I had started with Area 51, but that place had shut down less than a year prior, so I'd taken to lurking over at Sonic HQ instead. And then, December 2002, they made the forum unviewable to lurkers. Basically, imagine something akin to Something Awful's paywall going up, and you get the idea (only an ezBoard account doesn't cost anything vs. an SA account costing $9.95, but y'know, still the same concept). I was devastated... but then Sonic Advance 2 came out (in Japan, I think?), and a music rip was put up promptly. It was amazing, and helped me get through that (although I eventually got an ezBoard account, joined Sonic HQ - after joining EspioKAOS's message board, oddly - and eventually working my way up to be a moderator of the message board, before ultimately and quietly leaving it sometime in 2007 or so when they closed their spam forum). So yeah, there's a bit of sentimental value to the soundtrack. Shame I hate the game it's associated with.

Anyway, I didn't recall Act 2 of this one at all, but yeah, it's a pretty disco-esque little piece, isn't it? I think Act 1 might be the stronger work, but this is a decent remix of it.

Shadow Hog, for your own safety, do not read the depressing Lucasarts Kotaku article

it contains things about DotT HD you don't want to learn
One minute earlier...

Razzer

I'm not sure I ever got far enough in advance 2 to hear this in game due to it being pretty meh gameplay-wise and having the combined might of pokemon and the entire PS2 library to take me away at the time. Hearing it now though, I'd say it is pretty similar to some of the other tracks, notably Angel Island zone from Advance 1. For the most part I agree with your assessment, It's peppy and optimistic, with that familiar sonic bassline that I swear is in pretty much all sonic games nowadays. It has some longer notes that are drawn out throughout the track that subtly give off the floaty feeling that fits perfectly with the setting. Not the best track to come out of the Advance series, but above average imo.

Edit: With regards to the voice actor work above, the problem is more often the scene or voice director than the actors. That is why someone we all know like troy baker or nolan north can sound amazing in some games and amateur in others.The thing is with games the director more often than not got his job through his or her ability to design gameplay, primarily at least. So they sometimes don't really know all that much about how to direct a scene. This gets even worse when translating games from other languages as either an English dub team who don't really know the true meaning in the script will take over, or the original director will try to do it and not be all that familiar with how the English language is pronounced. And I don't mean that in the sense they can't speak it, but non native speakers can struggle with the subtleties of emotion in a language that we pick up easily. This causes potentially good scenes to sound phoned in because the actors were not told when they had made the perfect take. Of course sometimes they do just phone it in haha. Some of this is probably obvious, but in my opinion at least the key is to get people who are theatre trained as a starting point as they will be largely independent of direction in how they understand how to sound.

File Sonic Lost World's controls under "takes some getting used to". Game was fun as hell besides that.

Oh, and I got my picture with Sonikku-senpai~~

One thing I don't get is why they pronounce "Bionis'" (note the possessive apostrophe) as just "Bionis" (no possessive). There's not a second S because the word ends in one*, but that doesn't mean you don't pronounce it, guys!

(*Actually, I've heard the rule actually is you omit the second s if the word ends in an S and is plural...)

Razzer

One thing I don't get is why they pronounce "Bionis'" (note the possessive apostrophe) as just "Bionis" (no possessive). There's not a second S because the word ends in one*, but that doesn't mean you don't pronounce it, guys!

(*Actually, I've heard the rule actually is you omit the second s if the word ends in an S and is plural...)

I never noticed it but now you mention that is odd. Get your shit together otherwise great voice actors. :p

qq more

sweetmountain.png

sweetmountain2.png

sweetmountain3.png

GOOD

GREAT!

AWESOME!!

OUTSTANDING!!!

AMAZING!!!!!

If it bothers you so much you should really apply the Gecko OS code for infinite stamina... and instant text, and disabled notifications. :p Hell, you can go further by pressing C to fly at boost ring speed, faster sprinting speed, sprinting indoors, instant charging Skyward Strike, instant harp playing...

IDK how to do any of these things :(

Was there any major attempt to port over the Colors levels to Generations? I'm sure most of them would be fairly playable without the relevant wisp power being there.

Was there any major attempt to port over the Colors levels to Generations? I'm sure most of them would be fairly playable without the relevant wisp power being there.

Brianuuu ported Tropical Resort but he made some "additions" to get around certain color powers that can be a little awkward

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLnyNv3OVvk

There were scattered numbers of people trying to port other levels. This guy did parts of the original Planet Wisp, this guy started Aquarium Park more than a year ago and apparently never got very far, here's Sweet Mountain, Asteroid Coaster and Terminal Velocity...

AniHawk

new super mario bros. u = new super mario world 2
new super luigi u = super mario bros. 3-2

nslu is a lot of fun. nsmbu was downright sadistic at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom