• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
how do you mean?
Every level having an 80 second time limit I guess, though to me it forces you to learn how to speedrun every level.

Also is there any sense of momentum with Lost World's controls, or is it literally just a walk-mode and a run-mode you can get into by holding down a button?

AniHawk

Every level having an 80 second time limit I guess, though to me it forces you to learn how to speedrun every level.

Also is there any sense of momentum with Lost World's controls, or is it literally just a walk-mode and a run-mode you can get into by holding down a button?

Setting the time to 100 mario seconds. It just made things more annoying instead of difficult.

hm. i'm one-shotting a lot of these later level games with all star coins no problem. i just came off nsmbu's star road which was hard as hell, so maybe i've been conditioned to reflexes and surviving.

the levels aren't very long either (unlike nsmbu's). i'm glad it means there's roughly about 100 seconds if it means you must complete it in that time or die. if these were nsmbu-length levels, i don't think i would like it.

Tizoc

How's Sonic 1 and 2 in the PSP Genesis collection? I assume they're backbone ports but anyone tried to play it on their Vita? How responsive are they?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Tizoc, can you stop posting posts from people from other threads to chuckle behind their back? This is the second time in which you've done this in a short period of time, and neither of those posts have anything to do with this thread altogether.

I have made it perfectly clear that we do not, under any circumstances, do that in this thread. It's exclusionary behaviour.

Stop it.

hm. i'm one-shotting a lot of these later level games with all star coins no problem. i just came off nsmbu's star road which was hard as hell, so maybe i've been conditioned to reflexes and surviving.

the levels aren't very long either (unlike nsmbu's). i'm glad it means there's roughly about 100 seconds if it means you must complete it in that time or die. if these were nsmbu-length levels, i don't think i would like it.

It's not hard, just annoying. The levels are interesting and I'd like to go through them at my own pace as well as speeding through them, but the shortened timer prevents that.

Tizoc

Tizoc, can you stop posting posts from people from other threads to chuckle behind their back? This is the second time in which you've done this in a short period of time, and neither of those posts have anything to do with this thread altogether.

I have made it perfectly clear that we do not, under any circumstances, do that in this thread. It's exclusionary behaviour.

Stop it.

I've done it before? Don't remember, but I'll stop doing it, apologies.

AniHawk

welp, 100% complete with both nsmbu and nslu. next would be rayman, but i think i need a small platformer cooldown for the moment, so i'll do the long-awaited pikmin 3 and maybe zelda next.

i really really really liked nslu. it was hard to keep up at first, but after comparing it with nsmbu, i appreciated its snappy pace.

TimmiT

tumblr_mtt2vpd1ex1r2tas1o1_1280.jpg

Sweet baby jesus what the fuck is this

Also
soniclostworldpreorder25lives.jpg

welp, 100% complete with both nsmbu and nslu. next would be rayman, but i think i need a small platformer cooldown for the moment, so i'll do the long-awaited pikmin 3 and maybe zelda next.

i really really really liked nslu. it was hard to keep up at first, but after comparing it with nsmbu, i appreciated its snappy pace.

I loved its pace but man that stage length often brought me down a bit, quite a few stages felt like they were just warming up then the flagpole looms into view, what was supposed to signify success and victory became the bringer of disappointment knowing that it was already over. Good stuff otherwise but I prefer longer stages.

And if we're throwing down rankings I'm currently thinking something like...
NSMBU=NSMBWii>NSLU>>NSMB2>>>>NSMB
Still not sure what I prefer out of Wii and U. Luigi U does have some of the strongest pieces of individual level design out of all of them.

If you do play Pikmin 3 next you've got to go with the pointer control.

I loved its pace but man that stage length often brought me down a bit, quite a few stages felt like they were just warming up then the flagpole looms into view, what was supposed to signify success and victory became the bringer of disappointment knowing that it was already over. Good stuff otherwise but I prefer longer stages.

Are you describing NSLU or SMB3

AniHawk

And if we're throwing down rankings I'm currently thinking something like...
NSMBU=NSMBWii>NSLU>>NSMB2>>>>NSMB
Still not sure what I prefer out of Wii and U. Luigi U does have some of the strongest pieces of individual level design out of all of them.

i feel it was the same for a couple courses. and man you could really do damage on the level design with a p-squirrel suit and a star. it's how i got through world 8's superstar road level.

If you do play Pikmin 3 next you've got to go with the pointer control.

oh but of course.

edit: i actually played nslu and nsmbu with the wii remote only. i'll do rayman and tww hd with the gamepad though. i still have the last story, lost in shadow, and pandora's tower from the wii side of things too.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #4

Song: Sonic VS. Knuckles ~ North Wind
Game: Sonic the Fighters
Composer: Maki Morrow

Remember when Sonic and Knuckles had a rivalry going? Been a while.

I've never played StF, but I'm always down for that signature Model 2 sound, bongos and all. This track's got a great tension to it that really brings across the idea of two evenly matched fighters going toe-to-toe with each other. The squeaky, high-pitched synth that crops up periodically is grating, but I think it's an intentional choice to put the listener on edge. I love that the piano's a constant presence, whether it's running tag team with the bassline or sprinting up and down the keyboard to add a dramatic flourish. Throw in the punchy synth brass belting out a decent melody and you've got yourself a tune fit for a battle between heroes.

Razzer

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #4

Song: Sonic VS. Knuckles ~ North Wind
Game: Sonic the Fighters
Composer: Maki Morrow

Another one where I haven't played the part it plays in, haha. If there was one word I'd use to describe this it would be energetic. The piece is constantly moving around, as two fighters would, and doesn't give you a moment to rest. Another thing I noticed is that it is clearly a piece all about flair and flourishes, with the piano being the most obvious example, but honestly every instrument is bursting with exuberance. Fun and bouncy, I like it. Honestly you will be hard pressed to find a song I don't like in this series so I can see many glowing reviews in the near future.

One of the better songs in the game, I reckon. Definitely has the appropriate energy and tone for a rival fight. I guess they were going for something like Virtua Fighter 2's Sarah vs. Jacky "Chicago" theme?

Although yeah, it has been a while since Sonic and Knuckles's rivalry has been played up. They've been buddy-buddy since Adventure 2, more or less. (Although there was a nod in Advance 3, if you chose to pair them up...)

Razzer

One of the better songs in the game, I reckon. Definitely has the appropriate energy and tone for a rival fight. I guess they were going for something like Virtua Fighter 2's Sarah vs. Jacky "Chicago" theme?

Although yeah, it has been a while since Sonic and Knuckles's rivalry has been played up. They've been buddy-buddy since Adventure 2, more or less. (Although there was a nod in Advance 3, if you chose to pair them up...)

They brought Shadow in to replace him and from there he became kind of... irrelevant, to an extent. Whilst they seem to have taken Shadow into the corner for a while in the games, the focus on story has also greatly diminished so they haven't rekindled the flames of the Hedgehog Echidna rivalry. Given that he will be making an appearance in Lost World this may be where he makes something of a comeback but I'm not hopeful.

Tizoc

I spent 1 hour in Rayman Legends just to get my fastest time down by 0.40 Seconds AT LEAST, called it quits after I got my fastest time by a difference of 0.15 Seconds.
Of the many things I'll never get:
How some people can actually beat games or sections so freakin' fast and people who can play bullet hell shmups, the latter must have their brain evolved or something-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WAajOaVgoA

They brought Shadow in to replace him and from there he became kind of... irrelevant, to an extent. Whilst they seem to have taken Shadow into the corner for a while in the games, the focus on story has also greatly diminished so they haven't rekindled the flames of the Hedgehog Echidna rivalry. Given that he will be making an appearance in Lost World this may be where he makes something of a comeback but I'm not hopeful.

The thing is, Sonic and Knuckles' rivalry was pretty much predicated on the whole "Knuckles is a gullible idiot who believes whatever shit Eggman tells him" thing so after a while it has to end unless you keep recycling that trope. The only way I can really think of it going on after that is if a game's story had whatever Sonic needed to do to beat Eggman/save the world somehow presenting a threat to the floating island and/or its emeralds, causing he and Knuckles to clash before figuring something out and moving forward.

Or just throw in a boss fight that's presented as a friendly scuffle/test of strength with some friendly shit talk banter.

Welp, just bought myself the Zelda Wii U bundle.

So that's a thing.

EDIT: Anybody want to hit me up with their NNID so I can add them to my friend list?

BoxofBunnies

Razzer

The thing is, Sonic and Knuckles' rivalry was pretty much predicated on the whole "Knuckles is a gullible idiot who believes whatever shit Eggman tells him" thing so after a while it has to end unless you keep recycling that trope. The only way I can really think of it going on after that is if a game's story had whatever Sonic needed to do to beat Eggman/save the world somehow presenting a threat to the floating island and/or its emeralds, causing he and Knuckles to clash before figuring something out and moving forward.

Or just throw in a boss fight that's presented as a friendly scuffle/test of strength with some friendly shit talk banter.

BoxofBunnies

This would be pretty cool in my opinion, conflicts of motivation make for good character development, which makes for good stories in turn, usually anyway. Obviously don't lay it on too thick, this is a series for children after all, but in a saturday morning cartoon sense it could work.

Yeah, I remember that. "Here's a montage of everything you loved about Sonic! Now here's a trailer for our new game, where we start with a similar montage and shoot a gun at it."

On a side note, that "Walk of Game" thing that the series got an award at (and that trailer was revealed at) didn't last very long, did it?

And on a complete non-sequitur, I don't mind the neighbors upstairs partying, but do they have to crank the bass up so high that my floor is vibrating

Looking through the channels currently active on SpeedRunsLive

"Oh hey, SA2B 180 Emblems run, wonder how long that is"

10:34:18 (WR)

Oh. Makes sense I guess given how many times you have to play the stages, then factor in the Chao stuff and that's a lot of Sonic Adventure 2 in one sitting.

PKrockin

Looking through the channels currently active on SpeedRunsLive

"Oh hey, SA2B 180 Emblems run, wonder how long that is"

10:34:18 (WR)

Oh. Makes sense I guess given how many times you have to play the stages, then factor in the Chao stuff and that's a lot of Sonic Adventure 2 in one sitting.
Yeah. Over ten hours. You need balls of steel to go for that record. Or just a bladder of steel. Still, damn.

I'm going to look that up and see what the run looks like. Despite having played SA2B for a long, long time I never even unlocked all the challenges.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #5

Song: Green Hills Zone
Game: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Game Gear)
Composer: Masafumi Ogata

Let's get 8-bit. I've always wondered if this track was meant to be Sega's own internal theme of Sonic the Hedgehog, one that they could use freely without having to shell out the licensing fee to Nakamura. "Green Hills" seems like a deliberate "legally distinct but basically the same" choice of name to hearken back to the already iconic GHZ with, the music itself doesn't sound much like anything else in the game, and then it cropped up again in CD and the Adventure titles.

It suits Sonic as a character, too. It's a song that's always on the move thanks to the channel running arpeggios in the background nonstop. It balances a dramatic minor key verse with a heroic major key chorus. It's just plain cool. Even without lyrics, it's telling the player as loudly as it can that if you try, you can do anything.

One of 8-bit's finest. You don't reuse songs often, Sega, but bring this one back.

Village

Yeah. Over ten hours. You need balls of steel to go for that record. Or just a bladder of steel. Still, damn.

I'm going to look that up and see what the run looks like. Despite having played SA2B for a long, long time I never even unlocked all the challenges.

It took me years, I was young had other games and things to do. And liked playing around in the chao garden. Had the connector so I could get the metal chao from DX so i could get see through chao.

I was at like 17something for a minute because i had gotten all the emblems and had been missing the emblems for the all A ranks for eggman tails and knuckles.

Razzer

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #5

Song: Green Hills Zone
Game: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Game Gear)
Composer: Masafumi Ogata

So this is where that awesome bit from ocean view in SASRT comes from, huh. That's pretty neat. I Gotta say hearing this after the full blown remix with proper instruments etc makes it seem a little more tinny, but the melody is great. It was reused for a reason I suppose. Not much else to say really, you covered the technical analysis pretty well.

Interesting stuff regarding our song of the day, makes me wonder which game is the tunes actual origin.
And I also mainly know it as that one bit of the Ocean View track theme as I never got past Sky High Zone in Sonic 2 MS, bloomin' hang glider.
The 8 bit version does pretty well for the master system, sounds better than most tracks in the MS/GG entries that followed it but not quite as good as those from the first MS Sonic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom