• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razzer

Sega didn't start bundling the vocal tracks into the main OST until Sonic '06, when they moved to three disc albums and had less vocal tracks to begin with. Before that, they were always released on their own album.

Well if they have their own album it isn't so bad i guess.

BHZ Mayor

Best Eggman theme? Best Eggman theme. It's extremely catchy haha. I really like that it played in Generations for cutscenes and map theme. I wish the song itself was an unlockable

Sonic 06's Eggman theme is great too but it got nothin' on I AM THE EGG MAN. I AM THE WALRUS. GOO GOO G'JOOB.

I keep seeing that orange avatar at a glance and thinking you're Beef for a second.

j65TU2iuUemta.PNG

Beef not even in the top 10

what a big fat phony

In all fairness to Baker, he has some pretty damn big floppy shoes to fill. Shoes Mark Hamill didn't want to fill anymore.

Was the game really that similar to Arkham City?

It really just felt like Arkham City. The one new thing I saw was the remote Batclaw, which is pretty neat: it lets you attach enemies to objects like in Just Cause 2.

I'm not saying it won't be good - and I'm sure Troy Baker's Joker is something most people will eventually get used to - but... eh. Still, it was a sub-10 minute demo so whatever.

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #6

Song: E.G.G.M.A.N.
Game: Sonic Adventure 2
Composer: Jun Senoue
Lyricist and Vocalist: Paul Shortino
The only thing I don't like about this song is that some of the rhymes either don't:

I must play this game by my rules
I will conquer the world with my tools
All my machines are made for destruction
I will build my empire
I will succeed and you will see
With my machine there is no retreat

...or try to rhyme a word with itself:

I'm plotting my schemes
Wherever I go
They're perfect in every way
I love destroy
The blue one you know
He's the obstacle who always gets in my way
This is something that affects most of the songs from the Adventure series, though; it's not a problem exclusive to this one.

Also I like Eggman's 2K6 theme :エ

I just put over JC in the rankings, passing him the fabled 6th place torch.

I've paid my dues and shook your hand, I'm ready for the big time.

When Nintendo Direct announces that Tropical Freeze Europe delay tomorrow, I swear I'll be there for you
to taunt you in a spiteful immature fashion

I've paid my dues and shook your hand, I'm ready for the big time.

When Nintendo Direct announces that Tropical Freeze Europe delay tomorrow, I swear I'll be there for you
to taunt you in a spiteful immature fashion
In which case I'll reveal that I built you up so I could bury you, I'll proceed to up my post count with filler posts...as in even more filler than this one.

I can't take much more of this horrible rumour, if it's true it'll be like *insert date of some kind of British tragedy* all over again.

You know, I'm really thinking about buying a 3DS. Know any good games besides Kid Icarus Uprising and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (definitely picking up these two)?

qq more

Animal Crossing New Leaf
New Super Mario Bros 2 (safe but very fun)
Super Mario 3D Land

Pokemon Y is coming soon

also get Sonic Triple Trouble on VC

• Pushmo
  • Crashmo
  • Picross-e
  • Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies comes out this month, and will probably be good
  • Super Street Fighter IV 3D Ed. is pretty good, although you can only get 60FPS outside of 3D mode
  • Crush 3D was pretty damn great
  • Paper Mario: Sticker Star is far from perfect, but worth at least one go (it's love-it-or-hate-it though, so be aware of that)
  • Mario & Luigi: Dream Team seems to be considered quite good
  • Tails Adventures on the VC is worth a go if you've never played it
  • Pilotwings Resort is quite fun, if you can get it for relatively cheap

There's a few ideas, anyway.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've not... been feeling emotionally well lately. I'm trying to hold it together, but it's kind of coming apart at the seams from time to time. That's all I'll say. That explains my lack of posting aside from the fact that I've been burying myself in my work.

Where do you get that info?
Click on the post count for the thread on the thread list on the forum.

You know, I'm really thinking about buying a 3DS. Know any good games besides Kid Icarus Uprising and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (definitely picking up these two)?
Well, Mario and Luigi: Dream Team is rather negligible. Animal Crossing clearly depends on your cup of tea. I wrote a glowing review of Ocarina of Time. I found Rhythm Thief fairly hit or miss, as did Nocturnowl. Shinobi 3DS is well-worth your time, and I think Nocturnowl has a review for that lying around. Style Savvy: Trendsetters is a decent game, albeit quite repetitive.

Theatrhythm, if you haven't played the iOS version. But I'd strongly suggest the iOS version over the 3DS version simply for the method of delivery for the songs. If you don't have a Vita, and have played 999, you could get Virtue's Last Reward, but there is a game-ending glitch in the 3DS version provided you save in a puzzle room.

Shin Megami Tensei IV is a frontrunner for GotY for me, and Soul Hackers is a great remake of the original game with an interesting narrative.

With respect to the eShop, Minis on the Move and the Guild01/Guild02 games like The Starship Damrey, Crimson Shroud, etc. Mighty Switch Force, if you don't have access to the Wii U version. VVVVVV, if you don't have access to the PC version. Pushmo and Crashmo are essentials if you like puzzlers.

I've yet to touch my copy of Etrian Odyssey IV. And I probably should do that.

Kokonoe

Banned
I have trouble watching Roseanne. I just can't get the last episode out of my mind, and the first time I saw the last episode was around 2000-2003.

Roseanne Finale

Gonna go ahead and put spoiler tags just in case those want to watch it first in case they missed it.

It's so nuts. Your first thought is that the entirety of the last season didn't happen, but actually, you could say almost everything didn't happen and this goes back to like seasons 2 or 3.

Jacky is lesbian, thus meaning all of her relationship problems and that one time Dan went to jail defending her never happened.

Darlene is with Mark and Becky is with David, so all of what is seen of them in the show never happened.

Dan dies which came out of nowhere.

There's a lot more than this, but what I'm trying to get at is it's like I can't seem to watch the show cause it feels like I'm watching nothing since it essentially is. No idea why they wrote such a crazy ending like that.

spunodi

I love E.G.G.M.A.N, bothered me on the Dreamcast that the sound test never had the full song and it was only a few years later when we had the Internet (wow, what an odd statement in modern times) that I heard it in full.

I made a remix once but never really did anything with it. Here if anyone wants to check it out.

Razzer

So the E.G.G.M.A.N. talk got me thinking, what are everyone's favourite incarnations of the big fella? He's definitely gone through some changes since the Mega Drive days and across the games, comics and various TV shows there are some very different takes on his character. Do you like his whimsy and silliness in AOSTH? (please don't.) Maybe his calm, grandiose personality in 06? The middle ground of unleashed/colours/generations will be a popular choice I imagine. Some others may prefer the simpleness of his sprite days, constantly looking bemused as his face is covered in smoke from yet another exploding machine.

Whilst I do like his character in the Adventure games as I mentioned earlier due to brilliant performances by Dean Bristow, a less well known (though probably not here) choice that I admired for it's uniqueness was how the SatAM cartoon took him. There are no silly moments here, just pure evil. The dude has already succeeded in his plans which automatically gives him the right to some props, and his plans are usually foiled due to the incompetency of his subordinates more than himself. But most impressive to me is dat voice. Jim Cummings makes the bloke sound genuinely terrifying, or as terrifying as is possible in a saturday morning cartoon. You can tell this is a guy not to fuck with, and he will kill those in his way given the chance. That's a dark side we haven't really seen in the games all that much. Of course, he isn't given all that much time to shine due to the hands off approach the writers gave him, and the show only lasting two seasons, but what is there is a true villain, unlike some of his other incarnations. I haven't read the comics so I may have missed a similar take there, but from what I've seen, this is one badass Eggman.

I've not... been feeling emotionally well lately. I'm trying to hold it together, but it's kind of coming apart at the seams from time to time. That's all I'll say. That explains my lack of posting aside from the fact that I've been burying myself in my work.

Click on the post count for the thread on the thread list on the forum.

Well, Mario and Luigi: Dream Team is rather negligible. Animal Crossing clearly depends on your cup of tea. I wrote a glowing review of Ocarina of Time. I found Rhythm Thief fairly hit or miss, as did Nocturnowl. Shinobi 3DS is well-worth your time, and I think Nocturnowl has a review for that lying around. Style Savvy: Trendsetters is a decent game, albeit quite repetitive.

Theatrhythm, if you haven't played the iOS version. But I'd strongly suggest the iOS version over the 3DS version simply for the method of delivery for the songs. If you don't have a Vita, and have played 999, you could get Virtue's Last Reward, but there is a game-ending glitch in the 3DS version provided you save in a puzzle room.

Shin Megami Tensei IV is a frontrunner for GotY for me, and Soul Hackers is a great remake of the original game with an interesting narrative.

With respect to the eShop, Minis on the Move and the Guild01/Guild02 games like The Starship Damrey, Crimson Shroud, etc. Mighty Switch Force, if you don't have access to the Wii U version. VVVVVV, if you don't have access to the PC version. Pushmo and Crashmo are essentials if you like puzzlers.

I've yet to touch my copy of Etrian Odyssey IV. And I probably should do that.

Thanks! Hope you start feeling better!

Dead or Alive Dimensions - Really, really solid Dead or Alive fightan on the go. Big roster, lots of stages, some weird story mode that kinda runs through the first few games in the series in a disjointed manner.

Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance - It's Kingdom Hearts, so fun if you're in to that sort of thing. Possibly the best in the series alongside Birth by Sleep for my money, though some don't like it so much.

Mario Kart 7 - Not as much variety of content as Mario Kart DS but the courses are fun.

New Style Boutique - Not going to be for everyone, especially amongst a game forum like GAF, but a fun store management/dress up game. Very relaxing to zone out to.

Pac-Man & Galaga Dimensions - A good collection for the fairly cheap price it can be had at. Original arcade versions of Pac-Man and Galaga, the XBLA games (only CE for Pac-Man though, not CEDX) and two new versions which are an okay momentum-based scrolling platformer for Paccy and a rail shooter for Galaga.

Resident Evil: Revelations - Plays like Resident Evil 4/5 but with atmosphere more like the former. Also includes a neat looty multiplayer mode.

Super Mario 3D Land - I don't like this as much as some others seem to, but it's still pretty rad. An interesting hybrid of the 2D and 3D styles of Mario platformers.

Gunman Clive (eShop) - Stylish Mega Man-esque platformer. Short but cheap and fun. Does a cool thing where you can play the damsel (who has a SMB2 Princess style float) and rescue Clive instead if you want. Get it.

HarmoKnight (eShop) - Rhythm action game by Game Freak on their day off from Pokemon.

Pullblox/Fallblox (eShop)
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Shinobi
Fire Emblem: Awakening
WWE All-Stars
Theatrhytm: Final Fantasy

Sciz

So the E.G.G.M.A.N. talk got me thinking, what are everyone's favourite incarnations of the big fella?
Classic Robotnik still has the best design.

He's more expressive than the Adventure design and has a cleaner silhouette. I think it's the complete lack of a jaw unless the artist explicitly needs it that makes the difference.

His writing and delivery have been great from Unleashed on, though, so I have to give the current version a nod.

I haven't read the comics so I may have missed a similar take there, but from what I've seen, this is one badass Eggman.
It varies. Early on he and the rest of the comic skewed close to AoStH. Then it kept on not getting canceled to the writers' great surprise, so the tone moved back towards SatAM. These days he's hanging around in a happy medium between that and Colors - whimsical, but all too capable of sending the mood down a dark hole at the drop of a hat.

TheOGB

Banned
Huh, I forgot DOA was on 3DS. Anybody here know if Tekken 3D was any good?

And revisiting this Eggman talk for a sec, of the games I enjoyed the Eggman of the "Uncolorations saga" the most, due largely to Mike Pollock. Outside of that, current Archie Eggman is right up there if not higher because he's a magnificent bastard.

qq more

Classic Robotnik is the best for the reasons Sciz has mentioned.

AoSTH and SatAM Robotnik are pretty high up there too. AoSTH has a great voice while SatAM is god damn badass and evil.

Eggman is kind of up there too with the amazing writing done to his character in recent games.

Let's face it, Robotnik/Eggman/whatever has always been the best Sonic character.

Sonic 06 does not exist, okay?

As for my favorite incarnation, yeah, have to give it up to Robotnik, though like Sciz said, he's been pretty fantastic from Unleashed on (Colors in particular being a highlight)

The Archie version's pretty rad, too. There was that verbal/physical ass kicking he brought in #175, and then there's that ending to Universe #40...

Spinluck

Finally picked up GTA V and it's almost done installing.

This must be what walking into the promised land feels like.

I beat it today, enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

Huge improvement over GTA4 which might be the most boring highly rated game ever made.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I am open to thread title suggestions at this point in time because, like, you all know I suck at thread titles.

Sonic Lost World |OT| [Insert some witty thing here]

Coldman, I'm planning on having the OT up by October 14th at the latest, so you have until then. I know "full week for the thread OT to go up", but I can swing having it four days before it's out in EU/AUS because I do have other things to attend to as well. If people have objections, then I can aim for the 11th/12th. Now, if I do go on vacation for that long weekend (since that's Thanksgiving weekend for me), I will probably aim for the 11th/12th.

cant use the gamepad's buttons to control the game though :(

still neat somewhat to finally have the games stream to off tv
It's really too bad, because the games with GameCube/CCPro support should theoretically be able to be controlled with the Gamepad, shouldn't it?

Gunman Clive (eShop) - Stylish Mega Man-esque platformer. Short but cheap and fun. Does a cool thing where you can play the damsel (who has a SMB2 Princess style float) and rescue Clive instead if you want. Get it.
Is the music good? I can't remember, but this is the $2 platformer on eShop, right? Man, I should be paying more attention to eShop stuff. I'm halfway up to date on PSN/Vita stuff, but when it comes to eShop stuff, I haven't got a clue at times.

I didn't enjoy HarmoKnight as much. I felt it had some odd timing issues and control issues here and there. It's a good idea, but I don't think it was necessarily executed as well as it should have been. $15 was too steep for the game. The music's good, though.

Thanks! Hope you start feeling better!
Thanks. I haven't been having a good week, but it got a little better in the past few hours. As soon as I get this paper out of the way, I'm going to take an early sleep and a night for myself tomorrow.

Oh, one of our lurkers, Bean, had a few things to say about some games released this year, too. He wrote this a few days ago. Though, he's more of a platformer player than an RPG player.

DBean said:
Animal Crossing: New Leaf, A
-I was indifferent to both Wild World and City Folk, but this one has the feel of the original with the content to push it over the top. I think it's my favorite in the series.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, A (at the halfway point)
-Some people hate the tutorials, but I like the fact that the game again has more meat to it outside of it. These areas are pretty huge, and the Real/Dream world gimmick is just as fun as Bowser/Inside Bowser to me. Hope it keeps being awesome as it has a chance to claim the top spot.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, A-
-Not expecting this to be as good. The mission based structure does great things for the return to ghost hunting. I really enjoyed the majority of the missions outside of some in the B-set. The online was also fun with a friend. Again, you can see that content is key for me, and I enjoyed getting top ranks in every mission.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, B
-It's a remake of a great game. It loses a little bit of luster for me since I played the Wii version and missed playing co-op, but the bonus world stages they added fit into the original game perfectly. I wouldn't mind an original effort from these guys if Retro gets tired of doing things on the console front. It's a solid enhanced port.

HarmoKnight, C-
-This was the worst of the games I've played this year. It had moments where it was clicking with me, but I always felt like the timing was just a bit off in that you had to hit the buttons later than it looked in normal levels, especially the drums and floating enemies in the volcano stages. The adventure was okay, the ending hit a sour note.

Mario & Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move, Incomplete
-The series moves to 3D with this eShop title. I think my favorite mode is the one where you're guiding multiple Minis around on the screen to get them to the goal safely. It's fun, but I haven't played enough of this to give a grade to it as of yet. I can say that I like it more than the other eShop game listed here.

I could still see myself getting use from the off TV Wii play even with having to use separate controllers. Popping the Gamepad on the little stand on the coffee table and playing like that while I half watch cricket or Simpsons reruns or whatever.

Uploading screenshots directly to image hosts/email from the browser is a nice addition.

Is the music good? I can't remember, but this is the $2 platformer on eShop, right? Man, I should be paying more attention to eShop stuff. I'm halfway up to date on PSN/Vita stuff, but when it comes to eShop stuff, I haven't got a clue at times.

That's the one. It's been a while since I played it, but I remember the music being pretty good. Nice Western vibe to it mixed with the kind of sound you expect from platformy shootbangs.

qq more

I heard Gunman Clive isn't lefty friendly? Or am I mixing it up with Dillon's Rolling Western?

Gunman Clive doesn't use the touch screen at all. You might be thinking of Dillon but even then I've never heard of that issue for that game. (I wouldn't know, I've only played Gunman Clive)

I am open to thread title suggestions at this point in time because, like, you all know I suck at thread titles.

Sonic Lost World |OT| [Insert some witty thing here]
Sonic Lost World |OT| Now you're John Hammond
Sonic Lost World |OT| I really hate that [Egg]man.
Sonic Lost World |OT| 100% Less Jeff Goldblum
Sonic Lost World |OT| It's going home in a box
Sonic Lost World |OT| I long for death's cold embrace
Sonic Lost World |OT| It's going to skin you alive
Sonic Lost World |OT| In which Sonic screws up everything
Sonic Lost World |OT| Par for the parkour-se
Sonic Lost World |OT| Too X-treme for the Galaxy

qq more

Sonic Lost World |OT| Now you're John Hammond
Sonic Lost World |OT| I really hate that [Egg]man.
Sonic Lost World |OT| 100% Less Jeff Goldblum
Sonic Lost World |OT| It's going to skin you alive
Sonic Lost World |OT| In which Sonic screws up everything
Sonic Lost World |OT| Par for the parkour-se
Sonic Lost World |OT| Too X-treme for the Galaxy

my favorite ones

TheOGB

Banned
I like these

Sonic Lost World |OT| Welcome to the Galax--wait, what?
Sonic Lost World |OT| Hold onto your butts
Sonic Lost World |OT| Just lie down and die
Sonic Lost World |OT| Still doing what Nintendon't
Sonic Lost World |OT| Rolling around at the speed of your choice

And just saying, for a "Lost World" they sure did seem to find it pretty conveniently :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom