• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciz

Interesting stuff regarding our song of the day, makes me wonder which game is the tunes actual origin.

Sonic 2 predates CD by almost a year, but CD had a fairly protracted development cycle for the time and presumably was originally intended to release right around Sonic 2, so the music would've been in production back in '92 anyway. It's entirely possible that Hataya and Ogata were assigned to work on both games simultaneously. It certainly sounds like it was always meant to have lyrics, unlike everything else in Sonic 2, and I'd expect CD's main theme to be one of the first completed tracks so they could get it to the animators with plenty of time to spare.

So at a guess, CD is the point of origin and Green Hills is the "eh, sounds good, why not" reused version that managed to make it to market months sooner.

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #5

Song: Green Hills Zone
Game: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Game Gear)
Composer: Masafumi Ogata

Let's get 8-bit. I've always wondered if this track was meant to be Sega's own internal theme of Sonic the Hedgehog, one that they could use freely without having to shell out the licensing fee to Nakamura. "Green Hills" seems like a deliberate "legally distinct but basically the same" choice of name to hearken back to the already iconic GHZ with, the music itself doesn't sound much like anything else in the game, and then it cropped up again in CD and the Adventure titles.

It suits Sonic as a character, too. It's a song that's always on the move thanks to the channel running arpeggios in the background nonstop. It balances a dramatic minor key verse with a heroic major key chorus. It's just plain cool. Even without lyrics, it's telling the player as loudly as it can that if you try, you can do anything.

One of 8-bit's finest. You don't reuse songs often, Sega, but bring this one back.

Been meaning to get involved with these. I really love this idea.

I remember buying a bunch of AA batteries as a kid, slamming them into my Game Gear, doing that annoying level select code, and playing through this level just to hear this theme. Even before finding out about it's link to CD, I've always felt like it was a composition made with lyrics in mind, so it was a rad moment when I saw the PAL/JP intro of CD for the first time and made the connection. It's a shame it hasn't been arranged more often, especially since I doubt there's any sort of licensing costs involved, like with Green Hill.

I wish I could turn this thing off. One of life's little annoyances, that fuckin' pig in DKCR waving that white flag saying, "Hey you suck, let me help you"

To hell with your Magical White Gorilla, I'm getting these KONG letters before I leave this stage, so back off

I wish I could turn this thing off. One of life's little annoyances, that fuckin' pig in DKCR waving that white flag saying, "Hey you suck, let me help you"

To hell with your Magical White Gorilla, I'm getting these KONG letters before I leave this stage, so back off

I don't think I saw the pig at all in Tropical Freeze fwiw

He's on checkpoint and minigame duty.

1357305630023.jpg

watch him be the fourth unlockable character

After being beaten, shot, poisoned, kicked through windows, falling from high places, burned, drowned, frozen, stabbed, slashed, jumped by countless gangs, and crushed under rubble... Batman don't give up. Cuz he's goddamn Batman.

Been playin' Batman Arkham City. Great game.

Still pretty hyped about Arkham Origins. It's a current-gen prequel by a different team using an established formula, but it's a formula that's made two of my favorite games of the generation. It's the kind of game that'll have just enough refinements and polish to make it interesting, hopefully.

Also, I keep remembering LttP2 exists and I get excited about the the idea of playing a Zelda with a dense connected overworld and a lot less cutscenes/talkative helper NPCs/game-padding fetch quests again.

qq more

Also, I keep remembering LttP2 exists and I get excited about the the idea of playing a Zelda with a dense connected overworld and a lot less cutscenes/talkative helper NPCs/game-padding fetch quests again.

Don't worry, I'm sure there will be plenty of NPCs interrupting the flow of the game, along with many tutorials :)

Still pretty hyped about Arkham Origins. It's a current-gen prequel by a different team using an established formula, but it's a formula that's made two of my favorite games of the generation. It's the kind of game that'll have just enough refinements and polish to make it interesting, hopefully.

Yeah, can't wait for it to come out. Though I really wish they had kept Kevin Conroy as Batman... not really feeling Roger Craig Smith. I mean, I understand why they got Troy Baker as Joker: Mark Hamill didn't want the part anymore. But I'm just really not feeling Roger Craig Smith right now.

And as per LttP2... I think you just jinxed it.

I worked at a game store during the long lead-up to The Wind Waker's original March 2003 release. And since part of my job description included coercing customers into pre-ordering, I spent this period talking to countless strangers about Link's debut on the GameCube. And, about half of the time, my questions about their possible interest in The Wind Waker were met with either "Isn't that the gay Zelda?" or "That game looks gay."

KuGsj.gif

Also, BlackJace you have just been admitted into the deer family, and when the mother dies, you will be forced to raise Bambi all by yourself. I hope you're up to the task, my brotha

Kevin Conroy's Batman voice >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Christian Bale's Batman voice

Regiruler

So I felt like going through the Sonic colors soundtrack, and to this day I'm still salty I didn't buy it (and no I will not take piracy as an answer, no matter the circumstance). I also really want a Wii U re-release really badly now.

I, too, am irked by completely optional mechanics that allow people who are not as skilled as me to see more of the video game they purchased. Those people should know their place.

It bothered the fuck out of me in NSMBWii, 2, and U when you can't get a shiny star if they appear. Not use it, just appear.

If I'm not mistaken, those special stages sound like the sonic 1 bonus stages.

It bothered the fuck out of me in NSMBWii, 2, and U when you can't get a shiny star if they appear. Not use it, just appear.
Same. I approve of the concept of the Super Guide in general, but I don't approve of being punished for it being offered. Punished if I take the offer up, yes. Punished for it even appearing, no.

Sciz

So I felt like going through the Sonic colors soundtrack, and to this day I'm still salty I didn't buy it (and no I will not take piracy as an answer, no matter the circumstance). I also really want a Wii U re-release really badly now.

Unless you want the physical copy, Sega's been putting those OSTs on iTunes for years now.

qq more

BVKbZJgCYAAKqnb.jpg

I finished Sonic 2 on the Master System at work last Friday. I REMEMBERED WHERE ALL THE CHAOS EMERALDS WERE!

I recently bought that game. Don't have the SMS though, waiting for this guy to make new copies of his own Power Base Converter-like device and sell it on ebay.

Pietepiet

Just so damn good.

Also I went to Vlambeer's Nuclear Throne panel. Pietepiet got a lot of love sent his way from the audience. :)

Thanks for checking that out and making a thread about the name change <3

Also I realized I've been away from this place for a long time... Hopefully will be around here more often from now on

I played the demo, and it felt DLC for Arkham City. I liked the Christmas motif, but apart from a way shittier Joker voice it just felt identical.

I love the mechanics of those first games but I'm not paying 30/40 quid again for the same damn game.

Thanks for checking that out and making a thread about the name change <3

Also I realized I've been away from this place for a long time... Hopefully will be around here more often from now on

No problem duder. I kinda felt bad about the Gamescom conference dicking you guys over re: footage, plus I'm a huge fan of Ridiculous Fishing so I had to check it out. Plus it was Sunday and I'd seen everything I wanted to on the show floor, haha, the only thing I really managed to check out that afternoon besides was Luftrausers, Lego Marvel and chatting to Matt Lees (the PS3 Abridged guy).

But yeah, really impressed and excited for that. Plus Rami joined GAF now! And Polygon fucking sourced me for their story, ahahaha.

I played the demo, and it felt DLC for Arkham City. I liked the Christmas motif, but apart from a way shittier Joker voice it just felt identical.

I love the mechanics of those first games but I'm not paying 30/40 quid again for the same damn game.

In all fairness to Baker, he has some pretty damn big floppy shoes to fill. Shoes Mark Hamill didn't want to fill anymore.

Was the game really that similar to Arkham City?

Rlan

I'm more interested in what your job is and where you found that TV.

I work at Halfbrick, working on games like Fruit Ninja and Jetpack Joyride. They still had this TV in storage for when they had to test their XBLA game Raskulls on old TVs. I've repurposed it for our Game Room, which is mostly filled with my games.

Friday is after work drinks, so I sat down and played this.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #6

Song: E.G.G.M.A.N.
Game: Sonic Adventure 2
Composer: Jun Senoue
Lyricist and Vocalist: Paul Shortino

Since we just had what's arguably one of Sonic's theme songs, how about one of his archenemy's, and our first vocal track to boot?

Most villain theme songs are all dark and ominous and foreboding. The Eggman ain't got time for that and busts out the industrial rock and belts out a grand tribute to himself instead. I've got no idea how familiar Paul Shortino is with the series, but he's got the character's self-assured, high-energy approach to life down pat in the lyrics and performance alike, and it's not hard to imagine Eggman merrily bouncing around his lab scatting to himself as he welds on another death ray. Senoue's doing what he does best too; whenever he's got a vocalist to worry about, he's less concerned about having loads of great riffs and concentrates his work down to a couple catchy ones to fill the time between verses while the rhythm guitar balances out the vocalist's dynamics. Not his best guitar solo, but it hardly brings the piece down any.

The doc's had other themes before and since, but E.G.G.M.A.N.'s the one that stuck. Aside from Kobayashi being hellbent on recycling his '06 theme, anyway.

Eggman's SA2 is an odd classic, one of the series numerous "guilty pleasures" due to it's pretty damn cheesy lyrics (which is actually what makes almost all of them guilty pleasures).
Everyone I know who played SA2 seems to be able to recall this theme, the chorus in particular so it's got that ear worming staying power, it's hard to forget a theme which so triumphantly sings "I am the Eggman, i've got the master plan".
Not sure how fitting I actually consider it for Eggman in general but it fits for his SA2 incarnation. The theme also works pretty well on an instrumental front, the opening is immediately recognizable.
The best character theme in SA2.

Razzer

Well we have a classic on our hands here. I love this theme to bits. The first and most important reason being that it's SO CATCHY! Singing along to the chorus is always so tempting, I should never listen to this in public. The intro is recognizable, the riffs are simple but enjoyable and the guitar is restrained just enough to be pleasant, up until it explodes for the solo, which is how it should be. The lyrics are cheesy as you would expect when they are about a video-game villain from a series about anthropomorphic animals, but they fit his character perfectly. I don't remember which scenes in SA2 this appeared exactly off the top of my head, but I remember it always made him seem kickass, (on a side note, SA2 is the only game where I think Eggman genuinely comes off as very smart and calculating, with the island sequence in particular making him really badass.) 10/10 from me.

Edit: It seems I'm not the only one to bestow the 'classic' status, great minds think alike.

Regarding one of those points, the main scene I remember the theme occurring in SA2 is when Eggman brings in the Egg Golem, it appears at other points as an instrumental track but it's not too common with the lyrics if I recall.

qq more

Best Eggman theme? Best Eggman theme. It's extremely catchy haha. I really like that it played in Generations for cutscenes and map theme. I wish the song itself was an unlockable

Sonic 06's Eggman theme is great too but it got nothin' on I AM THE EGG MAN. I AM THE WALRUS. GOO GOO G'JOOB.

Razzer

Regarding one of those points, the main scene I remember the theme occurring in SA2 is when Eggman brings in the Egg Golem, it appears at other points as an instrumental track but it's not too common with the lyrics if I recall.

Ah cool, thanks. Also, I've been listining to a collection of his themes to compare them and holy hell did they butcher this one in Shadow's game. So glad I never played that.

Edit: It isn't part of the OST?! That's bullshit man, it's one of the best songs.

Since we just had what's arguably one of Sonic's theme songs, how about one of his archenemy's, and our first vocal track to boot?

Most villain theme songs are all dark and ominous and foreboding. The Eggman ain't got time for that and busts out the industrial rock and belts out a grand tribute to himself instead. I've got no idea how familiar Paul Shortino is with the series, but he's got the character's self-assured, high-energy approach to life down pat in the lyrics and performance alike, and it's not hard to imagine Eggman merrily bouncing around his lab scatting to himself as he welds on another death ray. Senoue's doing what he does best too; whenever he's got a vocalist to worry about, he's less concerned about having loads of great riffs and concentrates his work down to a couple catchy ones to fill the time between verses while the rhythm guitar balances out the vocalist's dynamics. Not his best guitar solo, but it hardly brings the piece down any.

The doc's had other themes before and since, but E.G.G.M.A.N.'s the one that stuck. Aside from Kobayashi being hellbent on recycling his '06 theme, anyway.

Am still salty it wasn't part of the OST.

Sciz

Edit: It isn't part of the OST?! That's bullshit man, it's one of the best songs.

Sega didn't start bundling the vocal tracks into the main OST until Sonic '06, when they moved to three disc albums and had less vocal tracks to begin with. Before that, they were always released on their own album (although '06 got a vocal album anyway with some alternate mixes included). Black Knight's the one exception since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom