• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noi

My internet is being upgraded from sub-5 MB download /.30 upload to 40MB / 2MB on Friday. Just have to take one more week of having the literal worst internet of my life before I can enjoy what most people in 'Murica would consider average internet, but is the fastest I've had in my life.

SpeedTest e-peen time? I think it is folks

3048739747.png

PKrockin

31.60 Mbps download
3.88 Mbps upload
43 ping

here in bumfuck nowhereland of the US Midwest. I guess that's good. I don't really care because I don't torrent anything.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I have shitty Canadian Internet.

That's all you guys need to know. (Okay, some of you know my speedtest results, but it's basically bad because our ISPs are terrible up here and the government refuses to make any sort of changes because they're stupid as hell. But so far, so good for streaming outside of Twitch's occasional hiccups.)

Mondays suck so hard. Luckily I have a day off this Friday. How's everyone's week looking?
Exam tomorrow, tutorials cancelled tomorrow, trying to hear back from my groupmates to see if we can get together either this week or next week for a group presentation, probably going to be kind of blah in general.

I got some good grades back today, so I'm satisfied so far.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, after reviewing a little bit, I'm pretty sure I don't have to study like hardcore for this exam I have tomorrow. It's one of those essay exams where I get the questions in advance, so if I did the readings (which I have + have supplementary knowledge on some stuff -- which I do from other course material), I'll be fine.

So I'll just go back to watching some documentaries like I have been doing last night and this morning. There's this pretty cool multipart one I was watching and I kinda want to go back to it.
In all seriousness:
-Watching BBC's The Incredible Human Journey
-Watching BBC's Planet Earth
-Watching BBC's Civilization
-Watching CBC's Secrets of Sugar
-Watching CBC's Jobless Generation (ie: our age group)

It's particularly because I became irritated that one of our professors assigned a landscape production masquerading as a documentary narrated by Glenn Close as homework.

God, BBC's so gooooood.

Pretty sure I win the Worst Internet of SonicGAF award. We're on 1.5down/LOLup but we also haven't changed our service in like six years and literally live in the middle of nowhere in Australia so we wouldn't get much better without paying a lot more anyway.

Does most things I want, though streams where I can't drop the quality can be shit sometimes and obviously I can't stream myself. Netflix through a proxy works better than I expected. Online play isn't great but I don't really play online so it doesn't matter; Pokemon battles work just fine and that's all I really need.

Just gotta be patient when it comes to Steam/console downloads but don't really have a problem with that, plenty of other things for me to do.

Eh, Steam downloads games plenty fast enough, I can stream HD content fine, and online games don't need much bandwidth. Not many other uses are coming to mind.

Congratulations, those are exactly the things!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Was comparable!

...is still comparable!

.....will no longer be comparable in the near future!
I closed everything this time and did another test.

3048794138.png

Fuck Bell. Fuck Rogers. Fuck Telus. Bullshit.

It's a wonder how my streams turn out the way they do when they're not stuttering because of Twitch.

Razzer

Yeah, after reviewing a little bit, I'm pretty sure I don't have to study like hardcore for this exam I have tomorrow. It's one of those essay exams where I get the questions in advance, so if I did the readings (which I have + have supplementary knowledge on some stuff -- which I do from other course material), I'll be fine.

So I'll just go back to watching some documentaries like I have been doing last night and this morning. There's this pretty cool multipart one I was watching and I kinda want to go back to it.
In all seriousness:
-Watching BBC's The Incredible Human Journey
-Watching BBC's Planet Earth
-Watching BBC's Civilization
-Watching CBC's Secrets of Sugar
-Watching CBC's Jobless Generation (ie: our age group)

It's particularly because I became irritated that one of our professors assigned a landscape production masquerading as a documentary narrated by Glenn Close as homework.

God, BBC's so gooooood.

The BBC is the shit. No adverts makes a way bigger deal than you would expect i to, and I never see better quality shows, Sherlock was amazing

PKrockin

Congratulations, those are exactly the things!

uh, okay. lol

I closed everything this time and did another test.

3048794138.png

Fuck Bell. Fuck Rogers. Fuck Telus. Bullshit.

It's a wonder how my streams turn out the way they do when they're not stuttering because of Twitch.

How in the world do you host a stream at that speed? And don't most of your providers force caps on you Canadians? I feel bad for ya'll.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Actually, the streams did improve when I switched from XSplit. qq more, Beef, and Shadow Hog can probably attest to that. Especially after I started using OBS.

The BBC is the shit. No adverts makes a way bigger deal than you would expect i to, and I never see better quality shows, Sherlock was amazing
If only the CBC went a similar route since they do have some neat things, but we only get that sort of treatment with CBC Newsworld.

But yeah, the BBC is amazing. Love their work.

How in the world do you host a stream at that speed? And don't most of your providers force caps on you Canadians? I feel bad for ya'll.
Yep. And look, the ISP I'm on lowered our caps. I should just switch to Teksavvy because it's bullshit that I'm getting this sort of service on one of the "Big Three" ISPs.

My settings on OBS may not be the greatest, but I ended up using this, and things turned out pretty well.

PKrockin

The point is that if you can come up with those other things that use a decent internet connection, there's no need to even mention torrenting.

Well, yeah, having a decent internet connection is great. I've been on awful dial-up and satellite, and still often have to deal with shaky satellite or phone tethered 3G/4G that cuts out every few minutes. But the exact speed, or anything faster than what I have now, doesn't seem like it would matter much unless you were running your own server or something, I don't know.

Yep. And look, the ISP I'm on lowered our caps. I should just switch to Teksavvy because it's bullshit that I'm getting this sort of service on one of the "Big Three" ISPs.

My settings on OBS may not be the greatest, but I ended up using this, and things turned out pretty well.

40-100GB? Wow. That'll put a damper on your Steam sale.

2949645752.png

Better than what Comcast was giving us back at my old house.

Disappointingly, I noticed our ISP changed at work from Comcast to "TW Telecom"... and the DL went down from 20Mbps to 1-3. YouTube is virtually unusable. I suppose that's not a bad thing for a workplace, but still, :(

TheOGB

Banned
3048863998.png

Eh, not impressive, but not bad.

Edit: TheOGB, don't you have a birthday coming up?
It was on the 13th.
I forgot about it too :V

Unrelated but THANK GOD FOR THIS NEW SD CARD, I can finally play Luigi's Mansion 2 and get Swapnotes without fear or worry again

Spinluck

What issue were you having?

It's just, I'm a guy who doesn't really like stealth games, because I always feel like I'm completely screwed when I get caught (even if that's not technically the case) - but these games feel different somehow. If I get spotted, I can pretty easily fly up to the various footholds above everyone and become invisible again. As a result, whereas in most stealth games I feel like I'm being hunted and have to hide and pick my battles very methodically, here I'm quite clearly the hunter, and DAMN does it feel good.

Granted, this only applies to the stealth segments of the games (basically when you're up against more than one person at once having firearms to shoot you with), and the games have plenty of moments where your opponents aren't armed as such, where you just beat them to a pulp. That feels surprisingly fluid, too. Although, it gets kind of confusing when you have to start doing cape twirls to disarm knives and jump over enemies with riot shields to attack their unguarded back sides; it's fine one-on-one, but in large groups, you'll find yourself trying to pull off the correct move to handle these special enemies, but wind up missing because another enemy was closer to you. Still some of the best fisticuffs mechanics I've ever seen, though.

Combat is pretty good, and well thought out. I just didn't enjoy anything else from what I remember. Batman AA was one of my first PS3 games, and I borrowed Batman AC from a friend hoping I'd like it, but I didn't. I will probably give it a go again since I saw Batman AC Wii U version for like $10 today.

EDIT: Holy fuck man, where do you guys live, my Internet is nowhere near that fast. EDIT2: Nvm, it shows location (or the nearest server to you).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
40-100GB? Wow. That'll put a damper on your Steam sale.
Yeah... it's pretty much a case of waiting longer for downloads and stuff, or allocating how you want to spend your money for the month.

Mine was on the 17th. Hi-five birthday week bro!
It was on the 13th.
I forgot about it too :V
WTF. Happy birthday, you guys. I feel awful for not remembering or knowing.

I ain't postin' the cake.

NGn2C7M.jpg
tumblr_lv1jfpvbyu1qhlstj2z.jpg

But happy birthday!

Noi

...Re-quoting myself from earlier.

My internet is being upgraded from sub-5 MB download /.30 upload to 40MB / 2MB on Friday. Just have to take one more week of having the literal worst internet of my life before I can enjoy what most people in 'Murica would consider average internet, but is the fastest I've had in my life.

Your uploads make me want to strangle something.

Spinluck

...Re-quoting myself from earlier.

Your uploads make me want to strangle something.

I live in Florida, and get like 5.0Mbps on a good day. But average 2.5 Mbps on most days with 50+ PING. I pay monthly for 3.0Mbps. My upload speed is usually 1.5.

I used to be with a company with slightly fast speeds, but they would throttle the fuck out of me. Download 2 games on Steam, and 1 on PSN. And they would cripple my Internet to a crawl.

Thanks Obama

I don't think you ever specified what day yours was, lol. But in any case...

http://abload.de/img/sonic-the-hedgehog-caj3jjd.jpg[img]

Happy birthday to you and to everyone whose birthday I missed because I didn't know. ;-;[/QUOTE]

Haven't had mine just yet, is in the back end of the month. Only mentioned it because a couple people were already talking October birthdays, tend not to bring it up otherwise since it's not such a big deal to me these days.

Thanks, though :)

All you damn youngins. Get off my green hills!

Dunno where I fit in the SonicGAF age hierarchy but I'm not really at either extreme of the overall demographic. See a lotta youngin's makin' me feel a bit old for it, but then there's the dudes that are like 40 or whatever and it's like "well that's not so bad after all."

I'll be
soon.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
when will Beefmas get here
Beef, make Beefmas come faster.

Also, AniHawk made a pretty good post.

AniHawk said:
games should be recognized for the extreme amount of work goes into them, but not for the story. the story can still be there as a motivator or as part of the design in certain genres like an rpg, but it shouldn't be the star. games should be looked at as great pieces of architecture, that dozens and even hundreds of people could come together to create a world where hopefully things make sense, where we can do things we can't, or shouldn't in life. it's not exciting when a game offers me a binary choice of being mega hitler and killing little girls for some power or not killing little girls and still getting some power. it's exciting when a game tells me to go this way, but then i find a shortcut on my own that was made for me to find. it's exciting once i master new controls. it's exciting when i beat a level after persevering time and time again, getting closer to the goal and a little bit better with every replay.
I don't usually like to outright say it, but sometimes I feel this way, too. While RPGs are kind of...

Okay. This goes back to the origin of the RPG, when it was more of a numbers game as opposed to something where the narrative took absolute and central focus. You were role-playing as a character, and your character's stats spoke to that. They were inspired by PnP games, tabletop games, fantasy books, chess, etc. So you had text based RPGs -> dungeon crawler (extending into roguelikes) -> Dungeon n Dragons -> Apshai/Akalabeth -> Ultima/Wizardry -> a loooooad of other stuff. But then you also (in Japan) had The Dragon and the Princess -> Sword & Sorcery -> Secrets of Khufu ... so basically Koei's stuff started it on PCs in Japan. Bokosuka Wars was pretty important because it laid the foundation of TRPGs.

What I'm getting at is that it wasn't necessarily the story that started the genre off, but the games' various mechanics or how they ended up implementing them. It wasn't until much later that apparently storytelling and cinematic stuff took more of a precedence than anything else. That's why sometimes it's strange to me that some devs make sacrifices for gameplay or streamline some things just to tell a story. I suppose part of the reason is to "legitimize" the genre for non-players, but in essence, we're scaling back on some of the game design aspects that make the game itself fun to play and instead turning it into something that should be experienced whether passively, semi-passively, or playing just so you can get to the next cutscene.

Because when you design a game like that, you're left finishing an experience. It's not something you'll necessarily replay that often to find something new or having that satisfaction of finding something completely new yourself because it's kind of like rewatching a movie. You're playing for the scenes that you like a lot. If you can manually save something, you've essentially "bookmarked" the spot in the movie's scene selection to experience it again.

But at the end of the day, video games are different things for different people. And I guess that is what leads to the lack of consistency. It's something I'm reminded of every time I step into an RPG thread, for example. A grand majority of people play the game for the story as opposed to learning the mechanics inside out, or learning about stats, playing a role, or max/mining stats-- which is an interesting evolution from the origins of the genre (ie: dealing with barebones narrative, or maybe even coming up with the narrative on your own with some guidance).

So you're left with some games that don't seem to fit into the mould, and people wondering why in the world do these games not do the things that other games do despite possibly having smaller budgets, a different design vision, a different direction altogether... and then you have these same companies going for sequels which incorporate the things that people wanted before and making a game that isn't necessarily resembling the product that was released before (which may have had good ideas that were removed for the sake of being 'safe' for a score). It's a bit of a shame, really.

So this is where this:
AniHawk said:
but to me all i see are some people just yearning for their hobby, and sometimes their profession, to be taken seriously by mom and dad. so that when thanksgiving rolls around, they can proclaim they aren't wasting time, or that they do have a real job.
...is coming in. The more it resembles other mediums, the more it can gain some sort of legitimacy. I see your point. Why can't games just be games, something to amuse yourself with? It's a good question.

Haven't had mine just yet, is in the back end of the month. Only mentioned it because a couple people were already talking October birthdays, tend not to bring it up otherwise since it's not such a big deal to me these days.

Thanks, though :)
Either way, happy early birthday. :)

And that's not old! I turned 25 this year.

PKrockin

There definitely is a decent audience that can enjoy an RPG for its mechanics. Pokemon alone is a testament to that. I think there's now an expectation that an RPG is supposed to have an amazing narrative at the foundation of the entire game, but I'm really not that familiar with RPGs outside of Tales so I can't say for certain.

Tizoc

There definitely is a decent audience that can enjoy an RPG for its mechanics. Pokemon alone is a testament to that. I think there's now an expectation that an RPG is supposed to have an amazing narrative at the foundation of the entire game, but I'm really not that familiar with RPGs outside of Tales so I can't say for certain.

Ever since I've played the DQ games, RPGs are more about gameplay to me than story, for the most part.

Happy birthday to all!

On another note, I'm callin' BS on this weather, man. I love winter and am not the most fond of summer, but when we go from 75 degree (23.8 C) weather to 25 degree (-3.8 C) weather in a week and a half... bull honky! I didn't even have enough time to change seasonal clothing!

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #2728

Song: Dusty Desert ~Quicksand~
Game: Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
Composers: Tomoya Ohtani and Mariko Nanba

My opinion of '06's music goes around in circles. At release it was an amazing breath of fresh air after seven years of Senoue. Then Unleashed happened and blew it completely away and I soured on its weak melodies. But I've come back around on it again in recent years. It's a sophisticated, layered soundtrack that can be hard to get into, but it does what it does so well.

Listen to this one carefully, beautiful slow burn that it is. The guitars and bass are the only live instruments, but that doesn't stop each and every one of them from being incredibly nuanced, like listening to live jazz. Everything builds on everything else, a dozen different sounds working in perfect harmony. The closest comparison I can make is Sonic CD US, but even that falls short. There's simply nothing else like it.

Razzer

@Schala and the discussion about RPG's and games in general, I agree with a slight modifier. It is actually possible to make the mechanics tell a story themselves, rather than have them operate alongside one. If developers want to truly make games 'mature' without losing what made them in the first place this is the approach they should take, at least to me.

My poster boy for this recently is Papers Please, as it's a very simple and basic example of what I'ma talking about. You have to find a balance in your time management due to the pay by case salary of your character, so if you go to fast you could get it wrong yet go to slow and you cannot feed your starving family. These mechanics are very engaging to the player, yet they also provide political commentary on Dictator states and the morals of being one of the average workers under such a scheme. If that isn't an example of maturity I don't know what is, and I feel that number heavy genres like RPGs are actually one of the easiest genres to implement this design philosophy. So yeah, if you want maturity dev's, go with that.

Edit: I don't want to double post but I want the reply to sciz to be in a separate one, argh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom