• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

qq more

good night Sonic-GAF

tumblr_m3d8snE6O91qdhxyeo1_500.gif

oh god i remember that site

the artwork is just... so beautiful. makes me mad jealous i cant do that :(

Tizoc

B-Grade RPG masquerading as an A/S-Grade RPG.

It had elements of an A/S-Grade RPG even if it didn't utilize them better.
...but man the smile on my face when I got to the world map for the first time X3
Also DAT OST~

good night Sonic-GAF

tumblr_m3d8snE6O91qdhxyeo1_500.gif

Is that from a game? Where's it from please?

So I just found out ICO and SoTC are on PSN+.

Nice.

Are you EU or US Plus? Cuz EU Plus got it like months ago.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It had elements of an A/S-Grade RPG even if it didn't utilize them better.
...but man the smile on my face when I got to the world map for the first time X3
Also DAT OST~
So thus, it was masquerading as an A/S-Grade RPG, then.

The World Map with slow walking/sailing speed, and the one that you had to keep traversing to backtrack often before they even thought of giving you a quick-travel spell. :V

Spectacle and visuals can only go so far until you realize the execution of the entire game is incredibly subpar, and ends up being repetitive and tiresome.

Tizoc

The World Map with slow walking/sailing speed, and the one that you had to keep traversing to backtrack often before they even thought of giving you a quick-travel spell. :V
That reminded me of Dragon Quest 8, but the slow speed didn't bother me much on land.
Plus the world map traversal themes were among my fav. in the game.

Spectacle and visuals can only go so far until you realize the execution of the entire game is incredibly subpar, and ends up being repetitive and tiresome.

Never bothered me TBH, still enjoyed it to the end when I played it.

Razzer

I can't let a JRPG music discussion go by without mentioning Blue Dragon. I can't remember what the rest of that games music is like so it probably is orchestral, but the one track I do remember is incredible and not orchestral.
Every time I hear that I want to go back and play that game since I stopped like half way through but considering that music is the only thing I remember about it, it's probably not a good game.

Hey, there's a good reason for that.

Blue Dragon is a great game, and I don't care if it has middling reception in general, Aeana agrees with me dammit. That counts for something. The story is not great, or rather some of the characters aren't, but the writing is actually not complete tripe which is a plus from a lot of RPGs. The real shining star is the battle system and the various mechanics outside of battle that affect stats and how you encounter enemies though. I'd go into more detail but I don't feel like writing up a huge post right now.

Given the comments about Ni No Kuni up above, I'm only more sure that I'm right about this. All the things Schala is saying NNK did wrong are things Blue Dragon does right, and the blandish visuals and story are probably what made people quit the game despite the excellent RPG underneath. It's the anti-NNK haha. Honestly I think it's one of the most underrated games of this gen.

Also, the boss theme isn't the only good track. Check out these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fjv6LxB7A0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp_lYho9RPg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NpsumrIgtE Possible spoilers in this one as it's the final boss theme so the title has their name.

Edit: Going over footage of it now I can't believe I forgot about this haha, the soundtrack is great in general, it's like my favourite RPG.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #26

Song: Revvin' Up
Game: NASCAR Arcade
Composer: Jun Senoue
Lyrics and Vocals: Johnny Gioeli

Daytona USA this ain't.

It's widely forgotten these days that Crush 40 wasn't the group's original name; they started out as Sons of Angels, until it turned out that a Norwegian rock band already had it. The group also originally included Naoto Shibata, the badass bassist behind Konami's Dracula Battle Perfect Selection albums, but sadly he couldn't stick around.

Anyway, this piece from one of the soundtracks Senoue worked on between Adventure games was sitting around on their recent "Best Of" album next to a bunch of Sonic tracks, which is close enough for me to cheat and toss it up here. It's weird listening to the pieces from this game, because they're pure classic Crush 40 in a way that their work from Shadow onwards isn't, but they aren't quite the same style as the Sonic work from the time either. None of them are as good as their Sonic work either, but this one's still a fine demonstration of the sort of catchy riffs Senoue can put together when he puts his mind to it, and of Gioeli's impressive high-flying vocals (and more impressive ability to make perfectly good English unintelligible).

Bonus: Crush 40 performs the US national anthem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8XM8u4ZYFs

Razzer

I love Blue Dragon. The middling reception doesn't faze me at all.

I wish it could've blown up more,but that 360 exclusivity :(

That deal really hurt Mistwalker in general I feel. Imagine if BD and Lost Odyssey had released onto a system full of healthy JRPGs, or at least the system that was selling somewhat in Japan. They could have built themselves as a top tier developer but alas it wasn't meant to be.

Razzer

I played a bit of Dishonoured. I never got that far as I kinda suck at first person games that aren't shooters, and stealth games for that matter. By the time I moved on I was only like 20% of the way through. Still, what I did play was really good. It's an example of a good game that just concentrates on being good at what it does rather than chasing some silly goal they can slap on the box, and the level design is better for it.

I'm kinda playing it in a chaotic manner. I stealth from time to time, avoid guards when I can, but I got so many cool powers, and the combat is so satisfying, I don't feel forced into stealth or that trial-and-error restart save shit so many other stealth games fall into. Like Mark of the Ninja, movement feels really good, and the levels accommodate a variety of choices in your approach. And while the story is weak, the world itself has a very strong artistic direction, with a lot of interesting lore to flesh everything out. Its one of those games you can see yourself getting better at it as you go along, learning its various mechanics and studying the sandbox level design, and it just feels really good.

Also, crouch sliding is the best

iWVyl8QVgBFJi.gif

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I got Pokemon X. It's pretty neato so far.

Pokémon X (3DS)

Another game I got because I succumbed to peer pressure. I didn't like Pokemon White very much, so I didn't bother with BW2. The games are kind of like DQ without the narrative, multiple party members (even if some battles require you to keep multiple characters out at one time), etc. A lot that goes into Pokemon is stats, skills, passives, natures, etc., though, so that's where the depth really is.

Pokémon X completely respects the player's time. It starts you off quickly, it gives you access to online quickly, it's paced very well, it allows you to level up as quickly as you want via EXP Share, it allows you to find Pokémon of various types very quickly in early-game in order to gain an advantage early on (even if you get Torchic via download). I absolutely adore how the game looks, and I adore the animations. Essentially, I feel like it's a Level 5 game without the mechanics of a Level 5 game (this is a good thing), and that's probably because of its general look. There's also a lot of shit to do, and it's really quick to do it.

My favourite camera angle in battle is when the camera zooms in/out on the participating Pokémon. It cracks me up every single time. Especially when the Pokémon looks dumb. (And Coldman, qq more, and OMG Aero agree, and two of them had gifs to share.)

I'm enjoying it so far. It's everything I wanted Pokemon White to be. Heck, it's everything I wanted a certain Level 5 RPG with monster-rearing elements that came out this year to be that I ended up really disliking. I wish with you could take screenshots.

PKrockin

Pidgeot?

Is Pidgeot finally decent?

Such a shame warstories seem to have died out on smogon.com. I loved reading them and seeing the predictions, mind games and thought process behind each move decision even though I don't actually play competitive.

TheOGB

Banned
And here I am just now heading to Route 7 for the first time because I spent like two hours trying to find a female Ralts with Synchronize.

17 hours and one badge. I'd be highly disappointed with myself if I wasn't having such a blast with Super Training and Pokemon Amie
4tCIK.gif

AniHawk

pokemon y is really beautiful. was not expecting the music to be that good. in a pokemon game. i'm actually surprised.

of course, i've been on a media blackout of sorts (i wasn't intentionally avoiding info, but i wasn't seeking it out either)

TheOGB

Banned
The good songs in X&Y are really friggin' good, while others that I expected to be great are... kinda weird. The trainer battle theme and gym leader themes, at least, aren't bad, but they weren't what I was expecting. I guess I'm a bit underwhelmed after loving the shit out of pretty much evey battle theme in Gen V.

But stuff like the Power Plant qq more posted, Professor Sycamore's theme, and the rivals' theme that I can't seem to find are excellent.

Razzer

The good songs in X&Y are really friggin' good, while others that I expected to be great are... kinda weird. The trainer battle theme and gym leader themes, at least, aren't bad, but they weren't what I was expecting. I guess I'm a bit underwhelmed after loving the shit out of pretty much evey battle theme in Gen V.

But stuff like the Power Plant qq more posted, Professor Sycamore's theme, and the rivals' theme that I can't seem to find are excellent.

Going by what I've been listening too for the last 15 minutes the more jazzy stuff is excellent whilst battle themes are mixed? That's my initial impression anyway.

TheOGB

Banned
The Xerneas/Yveltal theme is definitely the best music in the game.
Just gave it a listen and it is damn good, best song I've heard from this game so far. But there are still a few weird parts about it, can't seem to articulate what it is though.

Then again, it's 5 in the morning and the only sleep I've gotten was the 15 minutes in-between the Colts-Broncos game and Ralts hunting

OMG Aero

I'm just before the 7th gym leader so I can't speak for anything after that like the legendary or elite four music, but so far I really like the Power Plant, Route 15, and boutique music posted before. In terms of battle music I also like the rival music (although I prefer BW2's rival music) and I really like the gym leader music, I pretty much pick that music every time I battle online.
I'm not really a fan of the Team Flare music though, I think pretty much all the other team music except New Team Plasma is better.

I found X/Y's soundtrack pretty disappointing really, Sycamore's theme is probably my favourite one in there and of course there's a handful of other good ones but it feels like a noticeable step down from the past two gens, especially Gen 5.

Dario ff

Banned
Yep, just got confirmation my HD 6870 died after 3 years of use... And the only method I have of getting a new GPU soon is just to wait for paychecks. Good timing for Watch Dogs to get delayed I guess!

/prays to GabeN for a Titan Steam Machine prototype

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom