• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciz

okay fine I'll stick to Sonic games

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #27

Song: Labyrinth Zone
Game: Sonic the Hedgehog
Composer: Masato Nakamura

Ah, water levels. You're so maddening, but so memorable. Labyrinth Zone codified basically everything about the series' handling of water, including the use of calm, soothing music so you can be properly scarred for life by the intrusion of the drowning jingle. Let the guitar and bass wash over you with their simple back-and-forth, like waves on a beach PANICPANICAIRPANIC enjoy the relaxing melody, collect big ring caches PANICOHGODWHERESTHESWITCHPANICPANIC then run headlong into a spear trap, go scrambling for your lost rings PANICPANICWHYDIDTHATFLOORDROPAWAYPANICPANICPANICPANIC blurble blurble die

Don't break your back while crouching all the time trying to sneak up on them.

Crouching? PSSH!

batman_vent_by_realghostvids-d6ranoq.gif

Razzer

okay fine I'll stick to Sonic games

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #27

Song: Labyrinth Zone
Game: Sonic the Hedgehog
Composer: Masato Nakamura

It really does seem like a day out tune doesn't it haha. So chilled and relaxing, until that jingle. Still, the tune is pretty good in the stage itself, but you better have da skillz or you will get very annoyed as it starts from the beginning every time you hear something else, be it drowning, getting a life, any kind of sound clip that overrides the tune and you will be greeted with 'dun dun dun duuuun dun dun' Having been in a situation where I heard this several times in 30 seconds it got scarred into me. I guess you could say you have to dive into the mellow here.

Tizoc

Dat 20 Pounds price for Phoenix Wright DD~

Crouching? PSSH!

I blame Dishonored and Deus Ex HR for this, why the fuck can't I just WALK normally and knock them the fuck out?
I walk inside a room with 3 enemies outside and SUDDENLY THEY SUSPECT SOMEONE'S IN THE FRICKIN' ROOM!

Spinluck

Are you EU or US Plus? Cuz EU Plus got it like months ago.

US. My harddrive space is pretty limited, so I can't always download what they have available. But ICO is only 1.7GB, and SoTC is about 6GB! So I'll finish ICO again then play SoTC.

Crouching? PSSH!

Haha, funny GIF. I wish I was able to get into the Arkham games. I'm sure they deserve all the praise they get, but I couldn't enjoy them as much as I wanted to.

Haha, funny GIF. I wish I was able to get into the Arkham games. I'm sure they deserve all the praise they get, but I couldn't enjoy them as much as I wanted to.
What issue were you having?

It's just, I'm a guy who doesn't really like stealth games, because I always feel like I'm completely screwed when I get caught (even if that's not technically the case) - but these games feel different somehow. If I get spotted, I can pretty easily fly up to the various footholds above everyone and become invisible again. As a result, whereas in most stealth games I feel like I'm being hunted and have to hide and pick my battles very methodically, here I'm quite clearly the hunter, and DAMN does it feel good.

Granted, this only applies to the stealth segments of the games (basically when you're up against more than one person at once having firearms to shoot you with), and the games have plenty of moments where your opponents aren't armed as such, where you just beat them to a pulp. That feels surprisingly fluid, too. Although, it gets kind of confusing when you have to start doing cape twirls to disarm knives and jump over enemies with riot shields to attack their unguarded back sides; it's fine one-on-one, but in large groups, you'll find yourself trying to pull off the correct move to handle these special enemies, but wind up missing because another enemy was closer to you. Still some of the best fisticuffs mechanics I've ever seen, though.

Did I ever post this here?

6FHV2T6.jpg

I hate this game.
That's not what people usually mean by "burning a disc", PKrockin.

PKrockin

I just read the manual. There are no "secret tips." The closest thing is a list of all the people involved in the game who must pay for this abomination with their lives.

SNAP THAT SHIT

Yeah, don't do that. Just sell it. :p

Then some other poor soul would have to suffer through it. If the previous owners of this game had the good conscience to destroy it I wouldn't have had to do it myself.

That's not what people usually mean by "burning a disc", PKrockin.

Nicely done.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I can't remember if you ended up playing Sonic 06 or not, but man I'd hate to see what you'd do to that. I know there were a few GAF members who completely broke their Sonic 06 discs because they couldn't take it anymore.

One of our lurkers who's otherwise level-headed broke one of his controllers while playing the game.

Sadly it didn't burn very well. But that's what the manual's for! Here we go!
Oh god.

Only time I've ever intentionally broken a game was when a friend and I split his copy of DBZ Ultimate Battle 22 by tapping it with a Fanta bottle a few times. We didn't really hit it hard or anything, were just joking around with a few light taps on the disc and it went snap. The only real entertainment to be gleaned from that game is the hilarious translation of the manual though, so it was no big loss.

I don't usually destroy things, even if they're shit. Just feels wasteful.

PKrockin

I can't remember if you ended up playing Sonic 06 or not, but man I'd hate to see what you'd do to that. I know there were a few GAF members who completely broke their Sonic 06 discs because they couldn't take it anymore.

One of our lurkers who's otherwise level-headed broke one of his controllers while playing the game.

I did play Sonic 06 all the way through. It was the first Sonic game I played after SA2B like ten years ago. And, honestly, Secret Rings is so, so much worse. I was mostly just bored and falling asleep during 06. Secret Rings made me angry like no other game has.

*cough cough* okay that's a lot of smoke

qq more

shouldve sold it

i mean yeah some other poor sap is going to play it, but its going to happen to them anyways if theyre already considering buying the game

i mean the only diff in the end is that you'd get some of your money back

qq more

on the flipside its kind of awesome seeign such an awful game getting destroyed

fuck that game

EDIT: schala's reaction basically mirror mines lol

PKrockin

shouldve sold it

i mean yeah some other poor sap is going to play it, but its going to happen to them anyways if theyre already considering buying the game

i mean the only diff in the end is that you'd get some of your money back

Maybe I will slip it in my Gamestop's store shelf with a note in it that says "Please reconsider. There are so many good games out there. Don't end up like me."

Razzer

Btw I don't know if you are still here but if you could make one of your future projects about Dota that would be awesome. I think your style could give a really unique feeling to the setting and the community is massive on reddit in particular so if someone posted there it could be pretty successful.

Now back to sonic things, is Lost World holding up those who have it now?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Wow, that fresco's very beautiful. So much colour. Good work, Orioto! I'm very happy the "Tails drowning and dying" bit got in. And I think the panels flying off and hitting the Clucker in the face was cute. >.>

Thanks for sharing it.

Also, JC, does this hold up?

ViewtifulJC said:
What can I say, I love games with incredible level design, great weighty controls, and some damn fine remixed music. NONE of which can be applied to any version of Sonic 4.

10/10: Sonic 3 and Knuckles(DKC2, DKCR, Rayman Origins)
9/10: Sonic 2(SMB3)
8/10: Sonic 3, Sonic Colors, Sonic Rush Adventure(DKC3)
7/10: Sonic 1, Sonic CD, Sonic Advance, Sonic Generations(DKC1)
6/10: Sonic Advance 2, Sonic Rush, Sonic Unleashed, Saturn Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Heroes, Sonic and the Black Knight, Sonic Chronicles
5/10: Sonic Advance 3, Sonic Adventure 1, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic Battle
4/10: Sonic 4, Sonic R, Sonic Shuffle, Sonic Riders, Genesis Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic 2006: Sonic 2006
Sonic Blast Game Gear Edition should go somewhere.

Edit: TheOGB, don't you have a birthday coming up?

orioto

Good Art™
Thx guys :p It's for you i hope you like it.

Btw I don't know if you are still here but if you could make one of your future projects about Dota that would be awesome. I think your style could give a really unique feeling to the setting and the community is massive on reddit in particular so if someone posted there it could be pretty successful.

Well to be perfectly honest i'm not even sure what dota is :p

PKrockin

That is a pretty nice piece, orioto.

Rating SMB3 lower than Rayman Origins?! Get that filth out of my sight.

Yeah, that's sheer madness.

Still haven't played Origins despite getting it free on PS+. Rather I just finished Never7 and Phoenix Wright comes out in a few days.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I feel like it's necessary to put this in here, too, as it's probably a decent topic of conversation.

Regarding Sonic Lost World (Thanks, Azure Dream):
A couple pages back I posted that really bad Super Sonic video. Here's a much clearer one, and unfortunately, it shows how... "rough" his implementation is. A lot of animations revert to just standard Sonic spines and don't look particularly Super.

Another video shows that it doesn't even properly switch the side-mouths, which standard Sonic does, so he has double-mouth all the time.

They even bothered to put in a waiting animation for skydiving, so I think this hints at Super Sonic as a very rushed inclusion.

[Edit: ending spoilers]
There's no secret boss or extra scenario, either.

3DS version of Super Sonic

I don't like it at all. Sonic's core mechanics are pretty good but the game's overarching conceit for stage design just doesn't make for enjoyable levels. It's about as fun as X-Treme looked.

Should've been this reworked moveset in a more straightforward Colours followup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom