• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackJace

Yeah, it have to be that. The first half of the game there's a lingering sense of going through the motions to it all, and honestly I was a bit bored of it. Fight these crooks, crack this door, swing on them gargoyles; you done these things, exactly these things, only two years ago. I can't be arsed running around for these Riddler challenge things again after AA/AC. I think people would be more fond of it if it didn't come out so recently after AC, or didn't LOOK so much like AC.

By the second half though, its found its groove. Its got the most interesting story in the series, with some great cinematics, surprising twists, and a great Joker performance by Baker. The side missions open up from the usual "find all these monkey butts around the city" type of open world design and start giving you some unique playspaces. The Mad Hatter and Deadshot ones are especially inspired. Its probably got the best overall set of boss fights, although the difficulty peaked a bit with the Deathstroke battle early on. I've unlocked most of my moves, so the rhythmic free-flowing combat system is still just as fun as ever(the sound is a bit muted tho, shame that). I actually had to stop myself from playing it to go do some important things, and I think I still got a few more hours left.

It doesn't deviate a whole lot from the established formula which is gonna give it middling impressions, but of all the current-gen stopgap prequels this year(God of War Ascension, Gears of War Judgment, Arkham Origins), this is the best one I've played. Its like a cover band playing some of your favorite songs; they're clearly not the real deals and it doesn't have that same impact on you, but they've done a pretty admirable job all things considered.

I do hope Rocksteady's next-gen game changes things up, though. I really enjoy this series, but I fear it going down an Assassin's Creed route unless the next one is like an AA to AC jump.

Alright thanks, I'll look out for it when I decide not to be broke again.

What the hell is up with Steam? It keeps on spitting out bogus play times for me. I certainly did NOT play 30 hours of SA 1 as I uninstalled that shit after about 4 hours (fuck that port) and I certainly did not put 29 hours into KOTOR as I only have a single save file saying I've played 3 hours.

Edit: And now its back to normal. WTF?

qq more

That's a guy?

You sneaky JRPGs

mustache.png

qq more

Excuse the double post but odd design in Sonic Rush:

If you game over as Sonic, you have to start over the zone from Act 1.

However if you game over as Blaze... you only start over the act you died in.

huh

Tizoc

Slow day at work, half way through my shift and I'm feeling sleepy...

Got Sonic LW yesterday along with Pokemon Y.

Gonna finish up Ace Attorney 5 and Mario and Luigi 4 before I start either though.

Went to Best Buy and got to play the Lost World demo; still pretty "eh" about it.

Sonic's default running speed is great, but turning at that speed is kinda janky, and hella loose when going off a spindash. Jumping is kinda eh, too, but at least the double jump I'd better here than in Colours. Only real problem with it is that Sonic kinda uncurls at times after double jumping. The Homing Attack has WAY too much range, though. There were times that I targeted a bunch of enemies and then another one would pop far off screen and Sonic would automatically zoom towards it... and who's bright idea was it to make the kick attack the same button as the bounce? Using Wisps on the GamePad sucks, too, but that seems to be common knowledge by now. I honestly don't think the game looks that great either. Aesthetic-differences aside, the game dues run smoothly, but not as smoothly as I thought it would have. I was playing Sly Cooper 4 again and thought it ran much smoother, though that may be because the game was cel-shaded or because of the TV that was used for the demo, I dunno.

What I took from the demo was this: They decided in the change of style in order to give the players more control over Sonic, but I don't see anything in Sonic's new moveset or control that couldn't be done with Generations' style of level design, so why did they change that?

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #32

Song: Tails' House
Game: Tails Adventures
Composer: Kojiro Mikusa

Short and sweet today. This one reminds me an awful lot of the saccharine, lullaby-like quality you hear in the early music in Pokémon Red/Blue, particularly Pallet Town and the Pokécenters. Perfect for taking a little R&R between levels.

Short and sweet today. This one reminds me an awful lot of the saccharine, lullaby-like quality you hear in the early music in Pokémon Red/Blue, particularly Pallet Town and the Pokécenters. Perfect for taking a little R&R between levels.

This was always my favorite song in the game because I like the harmonization in the main melody.

One of my favorite games of the series' lesser-known titles, but the track, while good, is kinda eh. It's there. It's great for its purpose, but it's nothing I'd go out of my way to listen to.

Yeah, a lullaby is a pretty good way to describe it.

Razzer

It's cute, not much more. Kinda sounds like the pokemon center theme slowed down though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

Haha, it does. It's good, and it doesn't really stand out (which is its intent). There aren't a lot of Game Gear bgms I like, but usually the Sonic ones are good.

You all know how I feel about Triple Trouble.

everyone knows that's Schala's husbando, gawd
u shut ur face

For the most part, if I ever were interested dudes in video games, I generally keep it to myself cuz no one wants to hear that.

I would change my avatar, but it seems as though if I changed it, people would be weirded out. It's like the time I took the fall for qq more and took a new avatar, yet not a lot of people were taking me seriously on the basis that the avatar looked super-saccharine or they didn't recognize me without the avatar.

That's a guy?

You sneaky JRPGs
I swear we had this conversation a year ago and you found out that I wasn't a guy at the same time. :p

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
KuGsj.gif

He did. And then he asked how many members of SonicGAF were female because he couldn't believe it.

As for Pokemon X, I'm still playing it. I just have other games to attend to. Plus I've traded with some people already. The online in Pokemon X/Y is pretty good, but it sucks that whenever you close your clamshell, online gets disconnected. Booooo.

Oh yeah?! I just beat Doom 2 an hour ago!

more like doom beat you

As for Pokemon X, I'm still playing it. I just have other games to attend to. Plus I've traded with some people already. The online in Pokemon X/Y is pretty good, but it sucks that whenever you close your clamshell, online gets disconnected. Booooo.

Speaking of trades, I recently got a Magmar and have been making Magby babies for those who are interested. 'v'

because apparently Magby isn't easy to get

Welp, just wrapped up that Top 100 Video Games list ya'll niggas were waiting on(in my head)

I learned a lot about myself, namely that the PSX/N64 era is my least favorite, or at least the one I revisit the least

also, pls tell me I'm not the only one who played and loved Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks

But which one is the actual better game?

It's a zero sum game to me, really.

My stance on Sonic 06 has always been that it's a busted, technical mess of a game but that there's some okay-ish Sonic Adventure style design buried deep, deep in there if you can deal with everything (though even then, stuff like the story, big empy Adventure Fields and Mach Speed Zones are bad on a fundamental design level so even if the game was well made they'd still be bad).

What it basically comes down to is that Sonic 06 is what could have been an okay game made very poorly, while Lost World is a blah game made very well. So it's not a "Sonic 06 is more entertaining through ironic appreciation" thing.

I think it's a matter of expectations, too. Pokecapn's LP hadn't be done when I played Sonic 06 but I knew it was meant to be a bad game going into it and had tempered expectations after Heroes and Shadow whereas I had high expectations for Lost World after the Unleashed->Generations run.

qq more

I like T-Rexes and all but I'm going to stick with my current main team... which happens to be made mostly of Gen 1 and 2 Pokemon.

Rock/Dragon is a pretty baller type.

If I'd have known you can get wild Bagons early on, I would gone with that instead, but as I didn't know that Tyrunt felt like the best choice. Axew? Goomy? Trapinch? Please.

If there was any wild Dratini, things might have been different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom