• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #33

Song: Follow Me
Game: Sonic Heroes
Composer: Jun Senoue
Lyrics: Mathilde O'Rourke
Vocals: Kay Hanley
Guitars and Keyboard: Jun Senoue
Bass: Takeshi Taneda
Drums: Mark Schulman

You're going to see a lot of Takeshi Taneda on bass.

Much like SA2 before it, Senoue saved all his talent on Heroes for the vocal tracks, and it turns out he can write bubblegum rock like nobody's business. It's cool, sweet, and catchy, and Kay Hanley's exquisite performance makes me wish they'd use a voice like hers for Amy instead of the Minnie Mouse squeak they've got going right now.

The lyrics are more coherent than the series' usual standards too, and surprisingly spot on for being written by someone who I can't imagine was all that familiar with the character dynamics of a couple of cartoon hedgehogs. The rest of Team Rose gets shafted, but y'know, who cares. Big wouldn't mind anyway.

Man, I love the vocal tracks from Sonic Heroes so much. I think the series hit peak cheese with these. There's a nice variety between the Team themes too going from a kind of upbeat pop punk with Sonic, through the industrial sound of Dark, Chaotix's buttrock and this lighter track for Rose.

Don't have much to say about the song itself except that, while it's nice, I kinda wish Team Rose's theme had a bit more of the funk from Amy's Sonic Adventure theme, My Sweet Passion.

Razzer

Well I'd never paid attention to the lyrics before but looking at them now they are alright actually. Compare to the above mentioned SA1 and 2 theme and well, a whole lot less freaky. This isn't really quite my taste in rock but it's pretty inoffensive, I think it's respectable enough. Senoue loves to put in those long guitar chords though, you hear them in loads of his work.

OMG Aero

The only good team song from Sonic Heroes is TEAM CHAOTIX.
Rock/Dragon is a pretty baller type.

If I'd have known you can get wild Bagons early on, I would gone with that instead, but as I didn't know that Tyrunt felt like the best choice. Axew? Goomy? Trapinch? Please.

If there was any wild Dratini, things might have been different.
You can fish for Dragonair on the route between the snow city and Victory Road, I got one there and evolved it into Dragonite to take care of all the HMs.

You can fish for Dragonair on the route between the snow city and Victory Road, I got one there and evolved it into Dragonite to take care of all the HMs.

OH SHIT

Well that was the point where I wasn't about to be training new Pokemon. I had my boys and girls and swapping them out for new guys would just be cruel. :p

Noi

I got lucky with one of my friend's friend safaries and it has Dragonair, Duddrigon and Gabite. If I ever wanted to raise a Dragon team, that's like half of the work done right there!

BXmTqSwIEAAqAWC.jpg

S P E L L E D

:eek:

You're going to see a lot of Takeshi Taneda on bass.

Much like SA2 before it, Senoue saved all his talent on Heroes for the vocal tracks, and it turns out he can write bubblegum rock like nobody's business. It's cool, sweet, and catchy, and Kay Hanley's exquisite performance makes me wish they'd use a voice like hers for Amy instead of the Minnie Mouse squeak they've got going right now.

The lyrics are more coherent than the series' usual standards too, and surprisingly spot on for being written by someone who I can't imagine was all that familiar with the character dynamics of a couple of cartoon hedgehogs. The rest of Team Rose gets shafted, but y'know, who cares. Big wouldn't mind anyway.

This song is my guilty pleasure.
No, seriously. Probably my favorite vocal theme from Heroes. Don't judge. >_>

One of my favorite things about this track is the guitar solo near the end. You can almost hear some SA1-era Senoue being channeled there in that melody.

Honestly, I haven't listened to this song in ages, and totally forgot about it. But, it sounds great. Definitely gives me a SA1 vibe, akin to "Believe in Myself".

TheOGB

Banned
The only good team song from Sonic Heroes is TEAM CHAOTIX.
I've been living by this philosophy since Heroes came out (except I still like This Machine, though not as much as I used to), so I never really paid much attention to Follow Me and assumed I didn't like it.

Then I played it to type this response and as soon as the chorus started I joined in humming it without even realizing. Memories came flooding back, and I learned a little bit about myself.

That is a damn catchy chorus.

SA2 hadn't happened yet.

Only then did he learn how untrustworthy police were.

He also learned that the human race was either color blind or terribly racist.

PKrockin

The police weren't untrustworthy so much as they were incompetent... I mean, Sonic was allegedly spotted stealing from a bank, right? And then Tails went on a rampage through a prison to free him.

I mean I think that's what happened. Despite playing SA2 so many times when it came out I still have a hard time remembering it. My mind rejects it or something.

To be fair, even Amy can't tell between the completely different individuals of her own damn species.

Which is just incredible. Incredible in the worst way.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #34

Song: Chao Ruins
Game: Sonic Battle
Composer: Uncertain; personal guess is Tatsuyuki Maeda, could be Kenichi Tokoi, possibly but probably not Hideaki Kobayashi

For whatever reason, the GBA games use organs all over the place, but never as well as in Battle, and never as well in Battle as in this piece. Not that the game's signature guitars aren't as badass as ever, but they're not the star here. As a result it's got this jaunty and playful tone, ideal for, say, some red chump getting repeatedly manhandled by a barely functional robot while his friends chuckle at him.

Razzer

Composer: Uncertain; personal guess is Tatsuyuki Maeda, could be Kenichi Tokoi, possibly but probably not Hideaki Kobayashi

It can be hard to get good music out of this soundchip sometimes, but I think you summed it up well, a jaunty piece, kind of a jazzy take on typical battle theme conventions. More of a playfight than a battle really. Sonic kerfuffle then. The loop is a bit small so it can get a bit repetitive at times. It's nice but not amazing.

Not so sure I'm a fan of the modulated guitar samples, honestly.

Definitely a jaunty tune, although not one I'd normally associate with ruins.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You say that, people buy it for Christmas anyway for their kids, and then the Olympics start a few months later.

I don't see why that warrants "that's being sent to die" at all given that the Olympics games seem to typically operate on legs around the Olympic fortnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom