• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOGB

Banned
My dad is getting really interested in Xbox and Xbox One lately (and it's only because there's gonna be a 360 version of World of Tanks). He just found the Mountain Dew/Doritos Every 2 Minutes website and wants us both to sign up.

I just... don't have it in me to tell him all the horrible things to come ;__;

My dad is getting really interested in Xbox and Xbox One lately (and it's only because there's gonna be a 360 version of World of Tanks). He just found the Mountain Dew/Doritos Every 2 Minutes website and wants us both to sign up.

You'd be doing him a favor.

The 360's fine, though, he should stick with that for at least a few months while the inevitable kinks get ironed out.

It's your duty as his fellow man to cut through the marketing bullshit.

Lost World tomorrow. I will stream as soon as I get mine
zCrqMUY.png

I'm so sorry.

qq more

In speaking of, I just finished Rush for good.

No more of that dumb terrible awful game. The music was the one thing that helped me pull through that mess.

Now time for Rush Adventure...

I'm really intrigued to see the rest of you react to Lost World if you're picking it up this week, oh ho, it should be fun!

I wonder how many will follow a trend I've noticed from the OT and my own experience.

Regiruler

In speaking of, I just finished Rush for good.

No more of that dumb terrible awful game. The music was the one thing that helped me pull through that mess.

Now time for Rush Adventure...

Rush Adventure was good though. Had the best bosses of any Sonic game that I've played.

qq more

Rush Adventure was good though. Had the best bosses of any Sonic game that I've played.

Yeah, I just finished Machine Labyrinth Zone. This game is actually pretty fun so far.

Back when I first played it many years ago, I didn't like it because I couldn't get into boost gameplay but that has changed. Only complaint so far is that the bosses has too much HP, kind of makes some fights drag on a bit. I realize I can set the boss fights to easy mode, but I'd rather judge games on their normal difficulty.

I like the many improvements Rush Adventure has over Rush such as:
-Levels are shorter so far (Every Rush 1 levels were 3-5 minutes as oppose to 2 minutes)
-Level design feels a bit more interactive
-No annoying enemy placement or pits galore
-Boss fights, despite having so much HP, gives you quicker opportunities to attack
-The presentation in general feels more polished.

qq more

i'm interested to see how long it takes to get a nintendo direct together. there should be another one soon from what i understand, but soon probably means late next week at the earliest, or the first full week of november. we'll see.
Hey AniHawk, digging this back up for a bit. Do you think it could be related to this?

EDIT: sorry double post

TheOGB

Banned
You'd be doing him a favor.

The 360's fine, though, he should stick with that for at least a few months while the inevitable kinks get ironed out.
Yeah, I've got no qualms with telling him all the good things about the 360. He just made a Live account and now we're watching Monday Night Football on the ESPN. While his profile was downloading to the 360 I sat him down and told him basically why I am NOT going for anything PS4/Xbone until next year. I almost showed him the thread, but then I don't want him signing up for GAF. :V

And to think, he's discovered Youtube, Twitch, XBL, and like 2 or 3 other things all in the past month and a half just by getting into World of Tanks. :p

Regiruler

Yeah, I just finished Machine Labyrinth Zone. This game is actually pretty fun so far.

Back when I first played it many years ago, I didn't like it because I couldn't get into boost gameplay but that has changed. Only complaint so far is that the bosses has too much HP, kind of makes some fights drag on a bit. I realize I can set the boss fights to easy mode, but I'd rather judge games on their normal difficulty.

I like the many improvements Rush Adventure has over Rush such as:
-Levels are shorter so far (Every Rush 1 levels were 3-5 minutes as oppose to 2 minutes)
-Level design feels a bit more interactive
-No annoying enemy placement or pits galore
-Boss fights, despite having so much HP, gives you quicker opportunities to attack
-The presentation in general feels more polished.

I'm fine with the bosses being somewhat inflatedly harder due to most of the series having pushovers.
The boss of Sky Babylon is fairly hard, as is the boss of Pirate's Island when the difficulty is set to normal. The boss of Haunted Ship is simple but probably the best in the game, at least when you
crank it up and play it in the challenge mission

With any luck I should be picking up Lost World tomorrow.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I watched all of SatAM recently. Never got to watch it as a kid.

I think people remember this show being better than it really is.

People say Robotnik is competant in this show, but he really isn't. He's just like any other Saturday Morning Cartoon villain.

Antoine is an insufferable character who serves no other purpose than to be a walking French stereotype to be a punch bag for the writers. He only does one competent thing in the whole show, and the episode even goes out of its way to acknowledge it before rendering him useless again.

There are definitely times in the show where it's completely stupid that neither side can "seal the deal". There's definitely the Why Don't You Just Shoot Him? trope at play for Robotnik, which is to be kind of expected in a lot of shows, but in a rare instance it even applies to Sonic and the Freedom Fighters. At one point, Sonic says something like "I don't know how, but one day I'm going to beat you Robotnik!" At which point Sonic literally runs circles around Robotnik before just running off. At another point, they capture Snively, and then just kind of let him go.

Tails is useless and does basically nothing.

And honestly, Sonic is kind of an asshole.

Not that the show doesn't have some good parts, but I think the cult status of this show is rather undeserved.

qq more

I never got to watch SatAM as much as a kid, I watched the whole thing on Netflix last year with a friend. We both enjoyed the show a whole lot and thought it was great (it was his first time seeing the show too if I'm not mistaken).

Robotnik is competent for a Saturday Cartoon villain though. I mean he managed to ruled the world, roboticized everyone and stuff like that. He does have his incompetent moments though, but I feel it's a bit balanced out for a kids show, really.

Apparently Season 3 was going to happen and Tails was gonna have character development, but the show ended too soon :(

The show really picks up halfway, it's a shame it stopped at Season 2. It had so much potential.

Apparently Season 3 was going to happen and Tails was gonna have character development, but the show ended too soon :(
And then the writer died before he could go all-out with everything.

Although what Ben Hurst did tell us was probably enough to get a good idea, what with Ixis Naugus becoming the main villain and all. (Of course, removing one of the few things tying the cartoon to the games - Robotnik, in this case - and replacing it with an original character probably wouldn't have done its already tenuous connection any favors.)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Robotnik is competent for a Saturday Cartoon villain though. I mean he managed to ruled the world, roboticized everyone and stuff like that.

And we basically get that all as backstory. There's that two-parter where they go into the past when Robotnik takes over everything, but we never see any of his work that leads up it. So he's only competant when he's off-screen.

Teknoman

Sonic Lost World impressions crosspost:

Got my midnight Sonic.

Soundtrack is awesome, Nights stage is a cool addition, but kinda short/easy. More or less like a nights theme park run through (very nice remixes here though). I cant figure out what i'm supposed to do at the Gulpo(?) section though.

The parkour system fits naturally with Sonic, and the spin dash works alot better than boost ever did. You can grab onto edges of land if you almost miss a jump, or run back up a wall if you think it may be a pit. Imo this should have been the first addition to Sonic's move set, not the homing attack, especially since it just makes sense.

The wisp attacks (only used laser and asteroid) so far dont seem as helpful as in Colors, and laser is a little hard to use due to touch screen reliance. Asteroid is pretty easy to control, and seems like you just want to travel as much of the stage when available as possible.

The rotating areas take a little getting used to, but feel like you're always missing something since they give the illusion of having alot of ground to cover. The 2D areas are actually pretty cool so far...and they dont have wonky physics either.

Believe it or not, even the run button feels natural, and there are finally a decent amount of enemies to dodge, and not just enemy bridges. Actually havent run into those...yet.

Touching on the graphics and soundtrack again, soundtrack is phenomenal and kinda feels like a mix of Saturn / Dreamcast era Sega music. There are some classic sounds here and there (badnik explosions and boss impact noises) The graphics are actually very nice looking in motion. Unfortunately Miiverse community is still down, or else I would have posted some shots.

As far as what i've experienced with Windy Hill, its a good Sonic game / good game in general. No strange physics or being locked into loops either. A little too many speed boosters in some stages, but you actually benefit from missing them. Exploration is definitely rewarded, and not just memorization. Access to some stages require a certain number of Red Rings and others just a certain number of flickies+animals rescued, so you'll do good to defeat as many badniks and explore as much as possible.

EDIT: Not sure how people are having parkour trouble, since you just run into an object. Also read the manual. You've got a few actions that they dont seem to go into (tutorials arent that intrusive, and can only be accessed when pressing the ? on the touch screen).

Seems like there is also a homing kick attack. Press y when locked on to kick an enemy into whatever is behind it. You have to use this on enemies that block homing / jumps, or just for chaining enemies you might not have had the chance to homing chain.

Kinda reminds me of something he'd do in the OVA.

EDIT: Seriously, hanging onto ledges and wallrunning at will is about the same caliber of usefulness as Samus getting a wall grab in Fusion/Zero-Mission. That is not an understatement, especially for those used to playing 3D sonic games, and accidentally going too fast of a platform / having trouble backtracking.

Apparently you can use wisps without touchscreen input. Just press R and then use A to activate. Analog to aim.

There was one part in Windy Hill Zone Act 3 (glad they brought the word zone back) where it seemed like some rings were placed across an out of the way wall, but I couldnt figure out how to wall run across a gap...so I guess it takes a little practice.

I need to go to bed lol. But I guess thats how you know a game is genuinely fun.

Desert Ruins Act 2: Went through smooth on my first try. There is no quick step, but the analog is sound enough to make the small movement necessary without running into walls. Noticed a few red rings i missed on the way through though.

The deadly six feel like enemies you'd see pop up on "The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog". or an Archie comic.

And it cant be stated enough, please use the wisp powers with R and A buttons + analog. Dont use the touch screen, its too...touchy.

EDIT: Also why are Game OSTs so damn expensive. 50 bucks for Sonic Colors? 80 for Sonic Adventure 2? Please tell me Lost World wont be as much.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #35

Song: Evening Star
Game: Knuckles' Chaotix
Composer: Uncertain; Junko Shiratsu or Mariko Nanba

Ah, Chaotix. You were truly the first modern Sonic game, a perfect storm of spectacular music and utterly half-baked game design. Never were the beats more chill, or the mechanics more pointless. And much like so many other Sonic games, the music isn't just good but gratuitious; Evening Star is one of the four variations of the hub theme, based on a cycling time of day mechanic that I don't remember being important in the slightest.

A vibraphone is an odd choice to replicate in FM, but it's used to great effect here, giving the lead the distinctive twangy chime sound that carries the piece. The guitar isn't bad either, and plays a simple but memorable role. All in all, it's quite soothing.

It's worth noting that while the 32x could do substantially more sophisticated sound than the Genesis, in practice most games didn't bother. Chaotix only took advantage of the better hardware for its drums and let the Genesis handle the rest, which is why you'll hear some music rips that have completely broken percussion because the emulator used wasn't up to scratch. Don't settle for less!

BHZ Mayor

Chaotix only took advantage of the better hardware for its drums and let the Genesis handle the rest, which is why you'll hear some music rips that have completely broken percussion because the emulator used wasn't up to scratch. Don't settle for less!

Thanks for this bit of info. I didn't know the songs used separate hardware and always wondered why it was so hard to find uploads with the percussion.

I don't think that's a vibraphone; those usually sound deeper. More like a celesta or glockenspiel or something.

I love the Chaotix soundtrack, though. So good. Map stage is not an exception, even with four variations on it.

And it wasn't just kickass music; I thought (and still think) it was visually excellent, too. The larger palette and various 3D effects were put to very good use. I really liked the shattering blocks now shattering by pixel instead of tile; the shrink/enlarge boxes; the Blue Ring which let you collect all your rings at once (but only for one hit!); the polygonal goal sign... It's just a shame that the game it's attached to isn't even remotely bettered by these; it's not bad, necessarily, just highly unremarkable. The gimmick is really annoying if you don't know how to use it, but even if you do know the mechanics, the level design doesn't really make good use of them at all. Bosses and special stages are ace, though.

qq more

Okay, this is important! Do I get to type swear words to win? If so, I'm fucking buying this! I'M FUCKING BUYIN' THIS

Ah, Chaotix. You were truly the first modern Sonic game, a perfect storm of spectacular music and utterly half-baked game design. Never were the beats more chill, or the mechanics more pointless. And much like so many other Sonic games, the music isn't just good but gratuitious; Evening Star is one of the four variations of the hub theme, based on a cycling time of day mechanic that I don't remember being important in the slightest.

A vibraphone is an odd choice to replicate in FM, but it's used to great effect here, giving the lead the distinctive twangy chime sound that carries the piece. The guitar isn't bad either, and plays a simple but memorable role. All in all, it's quite soothing.

It's worth noting that while the 32x could do substantially more sophisticated sound than the Genesis, in practice most games didn't bother. Chaotix only took advantage of the better hardware for its drums and let the Genesis handle the rest, which is why you'll hear some music rips that have completely broken percussion because the emulator used wasn't up to scratch. Don't settle for less!
The music in Knuckles Chaotix is among the best in the franchise, it's such a shame the game itself needed a lot of work... At least the special stages were great!

qq more

Chaotix is such a beautiful game, and its got one of the best Sonic soundtracks

the gameplay tho

Someone should do a rom hack and at least make the level design good

Also, how the hell did Dimps managed to make a good sky level in Rush Adventure? The only rotten part was the bit where you have to grab onto an air balloon and avoid enemies (it's kind of luck-based there) at the very end of Sky Babylon Act 2.

Dario ff

Banned
Did Sega just release a good port of Typing of the Dead: Overkill?

With full Steam integration?

Online Coop mode coming?

Reworking House of the Dead: Overkill into Typing of the Dead: Overkill?

Including House of the Dead: Overkill which we never got on PC?

At $10?

On the day Lost World comes out?

This is the best cure for my lack of Lost World. I ain't even mad anymore.

Teknoman

I'm really liking how the spin dash finally works as it should in Lost World. Its a little more involved now since you've gotta press and hold the spin dash button again while dashing in order to maintain the spin, but it doesnt have any strange gluey feeling like Sonic 4 or pre-programmed launch heights like Generations.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I sincerely hope the Wii U version is better.

Because the 3DS version is... uh... well. The first few acts are alright. I get what they're going for with the game design based on Windy Hill. The special stages are garbage. But I kind of feel like Windy Hill is the best of the best when it comes to the level and stage design/pacing.

Sonic's fast in the 3DS version, but he feels slippery. It's strange, because they actually had it in Sonic Generations 3DS with respect to Classic Sonic's physics.

qq more

Of course the Wii U version is better: It's not designed by Dimps

yes, despite all that praise I gave Rush Adventure, they only got lucky there. Those punks.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sonic Advance 1 and Sonic Pocket Adventure were good, though. I dunno what happened.

Their Tales game wasn't even good.

Dimps Dumps, pls.

AniHawk

1080p vs 720p creating mega huge threads just mystifies me. it's like 'so it has come to this', where gigantic arguments are being created over minimal graphical differences. reminds me of the sparks arguments with burnout whatever.

qq more

the funny thing is that people expected the consoles to be 720p proof

FUNFACT: most developers will always put in as much as they can to the point they have to sacrifice either framerate of resolution

PKrockin

1080p vs 720p creating mega huge threads just mystifies me. it's like 'so it has come to this', where gigantic arguments are being created over minimal graphical differences. reminds me of the sparks argument with burnout whatever.
It's just thinly veiled console warz. That's the best reason I can think of explaining why GAF and other forums are completely losing their shit over this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom