• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
No matter what SEGA releases or what MMO Square Enix releases, I still got this freakin' awesome game.

i1wLZjvQZhtcr.jpg

ibpGu2uhZ7Dzrp.jpg

Whoa whoa whoa. Is there an English translation for this? I'd love to get in.

Any theories on why Japan prefers Mario over Sonic, if focus on those 2 franchises only?

Japan doesn't seem to care too much about mascot platformers. All the kiddies probably moved on to Pokemon and the billion other collecting games (which, don't forget, have much larger media presence over there, so something like Sonic would just get drowned out with its small cast of characters and somewhat antiquated character design). That leaves platformers to primarily target families, and Mario just does that a lot better.

I can't name many Japanese platforming icons post-1997, but the West was producing popular titles like Crash, Spyro, Jak, Ratchet and so on so Sonic's traditional market continued to thrive in the US. He remained relevant over here by virtue of his genre not getting utterly monopolised. And then the series got fairly Westernised to the point where we are today.

Lost World's JP sales hurt even more when you actually see the lengths SEGA have actually done to market the game there. They actually tried to promote it there and it still didn't do well.

I think Sonic was marketed more for the West since the beginning. Not to mention the Western influences that shaped Sonic into what he is.
Which is weird, since I've always find the Sonic series to be distinctly Japanese to begin with.

The massive multimedia push in the early 90s also helped establish a strong base for Sonic in the west outside of the games. With the three different DiC cartoons and Sonic the Comic in the UK and Archie's book in the US it was possible to know about and be into Sonic even without the games, which gave the franchise stronger cultural relevance. Japan by comparison didn't really have that, just a short manga here or there and the OVA.

Without those things, I think Sonic could've easily gone the way of Alex Kidd and Wonder Boy in the transition to the Saturn, even with his original games being so much better.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #36

Song: Boss ~ Birdo
Game: Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
Composer: Uncertain; stylistic similarities with Ocean Palace make me suspect Naofumi Hataya, but there were a lot of people involved with this game.

All the SMB2 influences in 3D World and I don't think we've seen a single sign of Birdo. At least she's had a better career over the years than the rest of that game's long-forgotten boss cast.

True to form, his boss theme is... peculiar, as though the music itself isn't sure what to make of the thing it represents. The percussion gives it a strong jungle vibe, but it's the bouncy, off-kilter synths that really sell it. They're all over the place stylistically and all over the scale musically, and I feel like the brass is intentionally synthy to drive home the weirdness that much more.

But it's such a cheerful piece. Birdo ain't gonna let nothing get her down, no matter what people say.

I know what I said.

Wikipedia said:
The original manual for Super Mario Bros. 2 asserts that Birdo is a Vadim (boy) who believes that he is a girl, and would rather be referred to as "Birdetta". Later releases of Super Mario Bros. 2 lacked any mention of her gender in either the game or the manual. Nintendo eventually established Birdo as female, first in Mario Tennis which depicted Birdo and Yoshi as boyfriend and girlfriend. However, several games portray her as male, such as Captain Rainbow, or refer to the gender confusion without assigning one, such as in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. It has been suggested that Birdo is a post-op transsexual by transsexual video game developer Jennifer Reitz, while Wired editor Chris Kohler felt that it was a way of retconning her transgender status.

yo Gabe, don't hate

That Birdo boss theme really does give off that "Sonic sound guys going for Mario style" vibe that's quite common in parts of Lost World's soundtrack, the Sonic side of things still being more prevalent of course. Or maybe that's just me.

OMG Aero

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #36

Song: Boss ~ Birdo
Game: Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
Composer: Uncertain; stylistic similarities with Ocean Palace make me suspect Naofumi Hataya, but there were a lot of people involved with this game.

All the SMB2 influences in 3D World and I don't think we've seen a single sign of Birdo. At least she's had a better career over the years than the rest of that game's long-forgotten boss cast.

True to form, his boss theme is... peculiar, as though the music itself isn't sure what to make of the thing it represents. The percussion gives it a strong jungle vibe, but it's the bouncy, off-kilter synths that really sell it. They're all over the place stylistically and all over the scale musically, and I feel like the brass is intentionally synthy to drive home the weirdness that much more.

But it's such a cheerful piece. Birdo ain't gonna let nothing get her down, no matter what people say.
Personally, my favourite Sonic music is Bowser's Road.

qq more

The only thing I really do not like about Rush Adventure are the Hidden Islands. A lot of them are so poorly designed. Thankfully they are very short.

Stop playing bad games, SonicGAF, and start playing AA5.
I'm already through Day One of Case 2, thankyouverymuch

I've been hearing from folk in #srb2fun that they've been hearing from other folk that Case 3 is divisive. Schala seems to like it well enough from her tweets, anyway. Wouldn't know myself, since, again, still on Case 2.

I kinda miss being able to examine the backgrounds of non-crime-scene areas, though.

qq more

I finished Sonic Rush Adventure. Great game which is surprisingly because it's Dimps. I think this is my favorite Dimps developed Sonic title. My only issues with it is that there's senseless padding forced onto you, but most of the content in that is actually fun so it didn't bug me much. The Hidden Islands are kind of poorly designed though. But yeah, an 8/10 game, it pretty much fixed just about every complaint I had about Rush.

Also dang it, I forgot about the GameGuard bullshit PSO2 has. It fucks with a lot of things running on my computer. I wish I could remove it.

I've been hearing from folk in #srb2fun that they've been hearing from other folk that Case 3 is divisive. Schala seems to like it well enough from her tweets, anyway. Wouldn't know myself, since, again, still on Case 2.

I kinda miss being able to examine the backgrounds of non-crime-scene areas, though.

I would say that Case 2 is the divisive one. Case 3 was great. Case 2 was all over the place.

Guess Who

Banned

Case 3 is great and anyone who says otherwise is a tremendous fool.

At least the game gave us that "galactic bummer" image.

Which I regrettably don't have on-hand here at work, but have bookmarked back at home.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, it shouldn't even be a surprise to see how Sonic Lost World sold on both platforms at all. Especially Wii U given the intersection of the install base and the amount of people who'd even buy Sonic in the first place.

I bought Typing of the Dead thanks to Coldman and ShockingAlberto. Should be cooooool.

Huh, really? I've had a pretty good time with it. It does more interesting stuff with the parkour, in my opinion. Sonic is definitely more slippery in the 3DS version, but I also quite like his speed.

Special Stages are garbage, though.

Overall I'm having a good time with both games. Maybe my opinion will change once I put more time into the Wii U version. I was out of the country last week so I've put way more time into the 3DS one
I do like that I have more control over what I do with respect to the parkour kick as opposed to the somersault (which feels slippery). Even if the somersault seems to matter more in the 3DS version vs the parkour kick. And because of the slipperiness/physics, sometimes Sonic doesn't wholly jive well with some of the narrower pathways.

I'll say that I appreciate that the 3DS version ranks you. But the game really started getting on my nerves around Silent Forest and beyond.

so far lost worlds is three things to me:

1. crazyass sonic game with gravity stuff (in 3d and 2d, but it only really affects stuff in 3d)
2. sonic game with new parkour elements
3. remnants of a scrapped sonic colors sequel

the first one tries to be the star, but it winds up handing duties off to the second one until the third one occasionally shows itself.
The thing about Sonic Lost World (Wii U, I guess, since we're presumably talking about that) is that it doesn't really feel very cohesive. Even Generations--despite feeling incoherent and falling apart at the end in comparison to Colours--feels a little more cohesive in terms of mechanics and level build/game pacing.

What bugs me a little is that score doesn't seem to matter as much as it used to? Colours doled out bonuses if you used Colour Powers and Quick Stepping, and thus scores mattered if you were ranking through the levels. But even ranking seems to be limited to Time Attack. For some weird reason.

So in essence, I'm not entirely sure what Lost World as a whole wants to do. It looks like it has a lot of concepts that they wanted to execute, but given that some assets are reused and recoloured, or that it tries to be three things to varying degrees of success, I'm not entirely sure what exactly they wanted to do with the game in general. Granted, I'm more than halfway through it right now, so maybe my opinion will change, but overall so far, it feels very much like an experimental game (in the very strictest sense -- they wanted to put some stuff in to see how it'll work even if it doesn't leave a cohesive impression or decent flow in terms of ideas, game pacing and maybe even level pacing). In terms of appearance, I guess they wanted to try some things too (ie: the tubes for three levels of exploration, slower rails, the... fountains, etc.).

Stop playing bad games, SonicGAF, and start playing AA5.
I already did with my SMT and FE credit. I finished Case 3 last night, which was nicely written (and Athena being a good character helped out a lot). Really liked how the villain in that case snapped. Plus the music's great!

And yeah, I think Case 2 is supposed to be the divisive one. I thought it was okay. But some think it's boring.

OMG Aero

How come case 2 is considered divisive?
I thought that was a pretty good case about demons and wrestlers, and it was a good introduction for the new prosecutor.

PKrockin

I thought case 2 of AA5 was a lot better than other filler cases in the series. The characters were much more likeable than, say, the circus case in JFA, the french restaurant case in T&T, or the kidnapping case in AAI.

It had great characters, but I would say that it really ruined the momentum from Case 1. It basically suffers from the Third Case Curse, but as the 2nd case this time.

It had great characters, but I would say that it really ruined the momentum from Case 1. It basically suffers from the Third Case Curse, but as the 2nd case this time.

This is exactly what I thought when I finished it, meanwhile the actual third case laughs in the face of the curse by being pretty damn good.

Drags

Neo Member
No matter what SEGA releases or what MMO Square Enix releases, I still got this freakin' awesome game.

i1wLZjvQZhtcr.jpg

ibpGu2uhZ7Dzrp.jpg

I dunno, I loved this game at first but as I kept progressing near the level cap, I became less interested in the game and got bored. I came back to game several times but everytime I tried, I just got bored in slightly less time than the last. Now I feel it's too repetitive for my likes, like the daily time attacks you have to do if you want any source of an income.

Regiruler

I finished Sonic Rush Adventure. Great game which is surprisingly because it's Dimps. I think this is my favorite Dimps developed Sonic title. My only issues with it is that there's senseless padding forced onto you, but most of the content in that is actually fun so it didn't bug me much. The Hidden Islands are kind of poorly designed though. But yeah, an 8/10 game, it pretty much fixed just about every complaint I had about Rush.

Did you beat the Egg Wizard or just the Ghost Titan?

EDIT: I'm expecting numbers greater than the amount of SASRT sales for the respective platforms, at the very least. Although word of mouth might hinder it a bit, the mainline game should sell more than the spinoff.

qq more

Did you beat the Egg Wizard or just the Ghost Titan?

EDIT: I'm expecting numbers greater than the amount of SASRT sales for the respective platforms, at the very least. Although word of mouth might hinder it a bit, the mainline game should sell more than the spinoff.

Both. I got all the Sol Emeralds and Chaos Emeralds and did the true final boss!

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #37

Song: A Ghost's Pumpkin Soup... for Pumpkin Hill
Game: Sonic Adventure 2
Composer: Tomoya Ohtani
Lyrics and Vocals: Hunnid-P

A selection which comes as a surprise to absolutely no one.

Presented without comment; like so many of life's majestic wonders, observing too closely would ruin the magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom