• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Just read Sonic #254, I don't mind the slow introduction to this new world all things considered
So Muttski, whom i barely saw in the pre-reboot, is now a full fledged character. Sonic and Tails' reaction to him was funny.
Also does everyone know how have a spin attack? Cuz 'Twan's was pretty cool.

I'm not a kid! Look, I even have a mustache in my avatar!

It's fake
tumblr_m9fhpgDqcE1rw70wfo1_500.png

so is it Earth or is it Mobius

did we ever figure that shit out
Apparently, it's not Mobius. "Mobotropolis" exists, I dunno if they use the term "Mobians" or not, but "Mobius" is now verboten.

That said, they won't confirm it's Earth, either. It's "Sonic's world".

Funny thing, SRB2 does the same trick. It's always "the planet", never named.

Lightning Lord, isn't it your birthday today? My records indicate that it's your birthday today. >.>

You're right, it is his birthday. Happy Birthday Lightning Lord!

I have no idea what Lightning Lord likes so I don't know what kind of cake to post, but happy birthday anyway.

Thanks guys, it is indeed my birthday. :) And I prefer chocolate cake.

*cough*21onSunday*cough*

STOP TRYING TO STEAL THE SHOW ON MY BIRTHDAY :(

PKrockin

Coldman is only going to be 21? Woah.

Poor qq, always on the receiving end of this age teasing. I still get asked what grade I'm in, and mistaken for an intern or something at my workplace so you have my sympathies.

Apparently, it's not Mobius. "Mobotropolis" exists, I dunno if they use the term "Mobians" or not, but "Mobius" is now verboten.

That said, they won't confirm it's Earth, either. It's "Sonic's world".

Funny thing, SRB2 does the same trick. It's always "the planet", never named.
Unleashed did the same thing. it's a lot less awkward then whenever it's mentioned in Colours and Lost World.

Razzer

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #38

Song: Death Yard Zone ~ BOSS
Game: Sonic Rivals
Composer: Chris Rezanson

Thi song is a complete cockblock lol. Epic fanfare, ballin guitar, some real frenetic string work... then it fizzles out into nothing. A good composer could quite easily remix (see lengthen) this and make a great tune out of it. But alas that will obviously never happen.

aw yeah, Sonic Lost World came in through GameFly. Its time to experience a brand new Sonic Team experience for the Wii U!

Remember that negative opinions are not allowed and you should just play the game and have fun. Don't nitpick or get hung up on negatives. Some people like the game so we must maintain a Comfy Hug Zone™ (Act 2) by decree of the Lost World OT.

Yeah, I peaked in that OT, you and Noctubird and Dark whatsoherface doing long posts thinking critically and analytically about video games, don't you know they're video games, you're not suppose to think about them and stuff. Besides, this is Sonic, its just good ol fun, remember you used to have fun, bunch of nerds

For real though, I hope you get some fun from it. I think there's some decent stuff in there, it's just a jumble and the core idea (which isn't really used as much as you'd think/it should be) didn't really click with me. My overriding impression of the game was disappointment at what seemed to be one step forward, two steps back, shuffle over to the side a little" after the continuous improvement the series has seen over the last five years. I can understand why some other people are enjoying it though.

I don't tend to get super analytical when talking about things 'cause my mind doesn't really work that way and I can't articulate those kinds of thing that well but the "stop thinking about things and just have fun" shit in the OT really got my goat.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thanks guys, it is indeed my birthday. :) And I prefer chocolate cake.
Too bad. Happy birthday, Lightning Lord!

phoenix_wright_the_caq0s47.jpg

You... track that?
It's more like I remembered when I checked the date. Ever since I was a little kid, I was pretty good at remembering classmates' birthdays for some reason, even if I don't have it written down (heck, I can still remember some of them). I guess it's carried on into my adult years.

Yeah, I peaked in that OT, you and Noctubird and Dark whatsoherface doing long posts thinking critically and analytically about video games, don't you know they're video games, you're not suppose to think about them and stuff. Besides, this is Sonic, its just good ol fun, remember you used to have fun, bunch of nerds
I was just glancing at that thread because I just woke up, and couldn't believe my eyes.

See, this is why most of the time I try to put impressions in here and then tentatively crosspost them in other threads. This is why a user reviews thread is somewhat required again. I think the notion of "hey, stop analyzing games and thinking about them and how they're developed and how they're designed and start having fun and turning your brain off" is absolutely positively silly. If you don't think about a game's design process or its design template while playing the game while critically analyzing those aspects, then how can games improve? How can developers get that sort of feedback when they're spoonfed that their games are good and fun and even though it has issues it's still fun so don't change it?

I don't understand.

For me, its not even so much about feedback to devs, but its just how I consume entertainment. There's a part of my brain that's always thinking, "The flow of dialog in this scene is so natural" while the other one is totally into what's happening on the screen. And just the same, when I'm not engaged or bored by something or some mechanic, I like to be able to explain why. "Why is this Colors QTE just mashing the A button, that's a lot less engaging than Sonic Unleashed". As your experience with a genre or medium grows, you start to see more of the strings pulling everything together, and understand why something is or isn't working, and can think about the product on multiple levels. What is this product trying to do, and how successful do you feel it is?

I love video games. I love writing about video games. And I find it really fulfilling to attempt to nail down the aspects of a video game that I experienced and how they work in conjecture with each other. Its fun to write a snarky, negative review ripping something apart, I won't deny that; but there's nothing better than writing about something you actually love, something you really enjoyed, digging into that and showing it to everyone. "Holy shit, the reloading in Doom is stupidly satisfying. The animation is great, but it's this precise, metallic "cli-click" that accompanies every ejected shot that makes it a never-ending joy to unload on demon faces". I'm already thinking about my GotY list and what I'm gonna write down for all these games I enjoyed this year. I read every single damn post in that thread, because I love to read why games connected with people, even the games I don't like. I find that in-depth thinking about a medium you enjoy healthy, important, and fun to read.

SOTC has one of the finest examples of storytelling in the video game medium and that's with barely any dialogue at all.

On the other hand you have fucking FFXIII with several dozen cutscenes, datalogs, and full voice acting and can't tell a coherent narrative worth shit.

WHY IS WANDER A BETTER CHARACTER THAN LIGHTNING WHEN HE DOESN'T SAY ANYTHING

Ahem.

Yes SOTC is a fine game.

I played SotC on PS2 for about a hour. Between the framerate, the barren overworld, the horse controls, and the grip system, I was really put off by it and it was put in the "I'll give this another shot one day" pile of games I'll probably never play again.

I got further in Ico. Really enjoyed the minimalism and the level design that actively encourages experimentation(also really like how the camera will foreshadow certain elements that will come into play later, you can tell its just a very well-thought out game), but Yorda and the combat really soured me on it. I think I got just past the windmill and the shadows showed up again and I was like, "Nah nigga, I aint about this life"

Dario ff

Banned
That looks neat. Is it a collaborative effort or just yourself?

I've been dabbling on the idea lately on getting serious on starting a game of my own lately... I feel like this is probably the point where I consider to have enough programming background to start something solid. I kinda wanted to see first if Lost World would lead to me doing more modding content lately, but it seems like the interest will fade soon. Not to mention having to wait for the Wii U itself to get cracked in the first place.

qq more

People noticed the secret. It worked!

That looks neat. Is it a collaborative effort or just yourself?

I've been dabbling on the idea lately on getting serious on starting a game of my own lately... I feel like this is probably the point where I consider to have enough programming background to start something solid. I kinda wanted to see first if Lost World would lead to me doing more modding content lately, but it seems like the interest will fade soon. Not to mention having to wait for the Wii U itself to get cracked in the first place.

The sprite work, programming, level design/layout, UI... everything but the audio stuff is all done by me!

Yeah, I've noticed you've expressed interests in making games in the other thread. I think you should totally go for it, I would love to see what you can do!

Dario ff

Banned
The sprite work, programming, level design/layout, UI... everything but the audio stuff is all done by me!
Can't blame you on the audio part, I could probably get by all the other ones even doing programmer art... sadly there's no thing such as programmer audio other than SFXR, and you'd have to live without music. The rest does look nice tho. I like the mechanic of being able to hit enemies with the slide as well.

Yeah, I've noticed you've expressed interests in making games in the other thread. I think you should totally go for it, I would love to see what you can do!
I probably need a little motivation kick once this month is more settled. It's kinda hard to find the right balance in thinking of something achievable by a single person and that it could have some commercial appeal. I've done a bunch of freebie games before for some Ludum Dare-like contests if you're curious actually. But that one's a bit too hard. Stolen RPG Maker tiles all around for obvious reasons. :p

I've reached the promised land of being considered to be possibly harming game sales. Step over Schala, your attempts to hinder the Tales of Series from being localised are being challenged (well actually you play a role in this one as well I guess).
HMMM I can see a thread created in Neogaf's future...

"Sega have attributed low sales of Sonic Lost World to a variety of factors, the low install base of the Wii U and mixed reviews leading to a death sentence metacritic rating of 62 are certainly points taken into consideration but most damaging where the damning criticisms lobbied at the game from pesky forum dwelling nerds daring to point out any issues the game may have no matter how small, Sega have sent their ninjas to go clip some Owl's wings and prevent this from ever happening again, unfortunately they couldn't make it overseas and remain in Japan only"

But really this sort of thing among other points is why I dithered on posting any sort of final thoughts on the game. At least it's kind of funny from a certain standpoint.

See, this is why most of the time I try to put impressions in here and then tentatively crosspost them in other threads. This is why a user reviews thread is somewhat required again. I think the notion of "hey, stop analyzing games and thinking about them and how they're developed and how they're designed and start having fun and turning your brain off" is absolutely positively silly. If you don't think about a game's design process or its design template while playing the game while critically analyzing those aspects, then how can games improve? How can developers get that sort of feedback when they're spoonfed that their games are good and fun and even though it has issues it's still fun so don't change it?

I don't understand.
I get enjoyment out of seeing how the various pieces of a game fit together, what works, what doesn't quite work, how could it be improved and so on.
Yeah i'm probably going to sound like some unappeasable nit picker at times especially on games that are more flawed than others but hell I can poke holes in my favourite games of all time to some degree and it doesn't stop me from loving them all the same, other times I can be very much aware of a games numerous faults but still have high praise for it. This sort of probing goes both ways as well, I've mentioned a few times as of late that I was replaying the Metroid Prime trilogy, on this occasion I came away loving Prime 2 even more and Prime 3 even less and its the differences in how they approach aspects of the game design that are what led me to these updated conclusions.

Sometimes I do envy some of my friends abilities to not give much of a damn about these things or be oblivious to what I'd find to be glaring flaws, in the end though I wouldn't give up this shall we say "quirk", it's another part of the overall gaming experience to me these days.

*super post*
I understand JC, I UNDERSTAND!
neQgK.gif

Speaking of which, before finishing this post the Schala edition came up, hugs all round!

I played 20 minutes of Shadow of the Colossus for the first time.

It was fucking amazing.
I'd explain what makes this one of my favourite PS2 games but such things are frowned upon, instead i'll just say the game has charm and emotion.

First, happy birthday Lightning Lord.

Second, I agree with both Schala and JC. Without user feedback, along with self-reflection (something I think several developers have for/gotten how to do nowadays), how exactly does one expect a series to continually improve? Wishing happy thoughts?

To talk about this a little more personally: one day I'm hoping to publish a novel. Always have wanted to be a writer, and while I'm not making that my main job (I'm getting a degree to have a full time job... the life of the starving artist ain't for me), I do hope I will get the chance. If and when that happens, I don't want criticism or praise that boils down to "10/10 would read again, was good" or "Lulz, u suck". Okay, why? Is it the dialogue that I write (does it not flow, is it too stiff, etc)? Is it that the overall plot is too boring, obtuse, or otherwise? Is it something about the characterization of he characters I create? Do I lack verbosity? Do I linger on scenes too long? What can I do to improve so that, if I were to ever write a second novel, I don't make the same mistakes. Or, if I do something right... why? I know what I think is good (I wouldn't submit what I believe to be a piece of crap to a publisher), but maybe there was something that I didn't think about that I could be more mindful of in the future.

And you know what? Maybe I don't agree with a specific criticism. And that's fine. In fact, no one will ever agree with all the criticism leveled at them. Again, perfectly normal and fine. Sonic Team isn't going to go "Gee, we suck. Let's take all the ideas given to use and create a masterpiece.". No, that's not how feedback works, and 99.9% of the time will never happen even if it did. It'll just be an amalgamation of concepts that has little identity.

And like JC, I like to be able to identify why I like something. Saying "I like it because it's fun" doesn't cut it for me. Why? Why do I loathe the QTE's of Bayonetta but am fine with the QTE's of Metal Gear Rising. I also love seeing in depth analysis, even of games I don't like (like JC).

Now, maybe on of these days I find some time to sit down and do a really deep analysis of several games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom