• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I get enjoyment out of seeing how the various pieces of a game fit together, what works, what doesn't quite work, how could it be improved and so on.

Yeah i'm probably going to sound like some unappeasable nit picker at times especially on games that are more flawed than others but hell I can poke holes in my favourite games of all time to some degree and it doesn't stop me from loving them all the same, other times I can be very much aware of a games numerous faults but still have high praise for it. This sort of probing goes both ways as well, I've mentioned a few times as of late that I was replaying the Metroid Prime trilogy, on this occasion I came away loving Prime 2 even more and Prime 3 even less and its the differences in how they approach aspects of the game design that are what led me to these updated conclusions.

Sometimes I do envy some of my friends abilities to not give much of a damn about these things or be oblivious to what I'd find to be glaring flaws, in the end though I wouldn't give up this shall we say "quirk", it's another part of the overall gaming experience to me these days.

Speaking of which, before finishing this post the Schala edition came up, hugs all round!
Nocturnowl, you won't hit the big time unless threads on other boards comment on how mean you are towards video games and how you're impacting the sales of said video games.

And that's essentially how I feel. I love seeing how various pieces of a video game come together in terms of being a "package". It might seem like nitpicking to some people, but those little issues do add up, and sometimes even in a big way. If the game seems too homogeneous because of reusing various level designs or gimmicks, and lacks diversity, you should make a point to say that, because that allows for discussion on how to improve that particular aspect of the game, for example.

I do like the "little things". Some people may not like the repetition of Animal Crossing: New Leaf, for example, or the "grind for EXP", but I do find it nicely-paced simply because you're not necessarily forced to meet certain due dates. You can do whatever you want, and the game seems to penalize you for doing things too quickly or time-travelling. I thought the game was neat in an overall game design sense because of the little things that were added to it. That's why I enjoyed it.

And not everyone's going to like what you're going to say, and not everyone's going to agree with everyone else. But the point is to discuss and take away from the discussion without being dismissive of other people's opinions. People have different tastes. That's the point of diversity and variety of video games: no one's going to like the same thing, so different things are going to appeal to people. If you don't like it, you don't like it. If you like it, you like it. But just answer why you like/dislike it. That way a broader picture can be painted of your impressions to make them more concrete.

And you know what? Maybe I don't agree with a specific criticism. And that's fine. In fact, no one will ever agree with all the criticism leveled at them. Again, perfectly normal and fine. Sonic Team isn't going to go "Gee, we suck. Let's take all the ideas given to use and create a masterpiece.". No, that's not how feedback works, and 99.9% of the time will never happen even if it did. It'll just be an amalgamation of concepts that has little identity.
Exactly. And that's the error that some game designers seem to make (ex: this is the sort of design philosophy I thought FF13-2 followed--where everything was thrown into the game to appease to everyone, even when it probably didn't flow well). Not everyone's going to agree with what every single person is going to say and that's okay. I'm not sure why some people need to get incredibly defensive or dismissive when games, like other media, are designed from various bits and pieces constructed into a whole. As a reviewer or player, you should be deconstructing aspects of those bits and pieces you like or dislike to take away what you generally like about a genre or game and what you dislike about a genre or game to make an unbiased opinion of it.

Merely sugarcoating everything you say is not going to benefit anyone. Especially the creator.

Let's see how good your notes are.

What's my favorite soda?
Orange soda?

Razzer

Gonna +1 the wisdom being preached in this thread. Actually, has anyone noticed that a lot of the very analytical posters on GAF hang around here? Not all ofc, but we have Schala, Nocturnowl, JC, Anihawk comes in sometimes, as does ShockingAlberto. We also have Hot Coldman etc etc. So many good posters in here. Even in other threads I feel you guys tend to stand out amongst the crowd as making great posts most of the time.

I wish I had actually played some games this year so I could give a true GOTY list, but I've only played 1 enough to comment in depth AFAIR. Still, I could just give it all 10 slots lol.

Sciz

Gonna +1 the wisdom being preached in this thread. Actually, has anyone noticed that a lot of the very analytical posters on GAF hang around here? Not all ofc, but we have Schala, Nocturnowl, JC, Anihawk comes in sometimes, as does ShockingAlberto. We also have Hot Coldman etc etc. So many good posters in here. Even in other threads I feel you guys tend to stand out amongst the crowd as making great posts most of the time.
Sonic fans have a lot of experience picking apart the flaws and weaknesses of games for some reason.

Tizoc

tumblr_msqzkoSyri1qivqtjo1_250.gif

lol, is that from Robot Detective?

Japan doesn't seem to care too much about mascot platformers. All the kiddies probably moved on to Pokemon and the billion other collecting games (which, don't forget, have much larger media presence over there, so something like Sonic would just get drowned out with its small cast of characters and somewhat antiquated character design). That leaves platformers to primarily target families, and Mario just does that a lot better.
Makes me wonder if re-implemnting Chao into the game would've helped in Japan. They're cute little buggers and it can be part of its online system where you compete with your Chao(s) and unlock abilities and skills for them by continuily playing online.

Could you elaborate on Mario though please?

I can't name many Japanese platforming icons post-1997, but the West was producing popular titles like Crash, Spyro, Jak, Ratchet and so on so Sonic's traditional market continued to thrive in the US. He remained relevant over here by virtue of his genre not getting utterly monopolised. And then the series got fairly Westernised to the point where we are today.
Crash Bandicoot, at least, was popular during the PSX era being one of the few non Japan created platformers to sell really well there.

OMG Aero

well excuse me for not being a good poster

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #39

Song: Coral Cave
Game: Sonic Rush Adventure
Composer: Mariko Nanba

If cave, then rave.

I'm not usually fond of this sort of thing, but the techno here is pretty low key. The vocal samples and that funky guitar panned hard right give it a different texture than usual for the genre, and I think that's even the rare tasteful use of a clap sample in there in lieu of a snare. And then there's the steel drum interludes which are just delicious and root the song back into the game's tropical motif.

Rush Adventure's music doesn't have an easy time straddling the line between the high intensity of the Rush gameplay and the laid back nature of the island theming, but somehow they pulled it off several times over.

Tizoc

Aren't you a little early with the Song of the day, Sciz? Normally you'd have it up in like 6 hours or so from now.

Could you elaborate on Mario though please?

It's slower so it's not going to freak people out, the character design is a lot more warm, friendly and traditional, and it lends itself a lot better to multiplayer. Plus they figured out 3D platforming, whereas Sonic hasn't. Oh, and ironically Mario's control scheme has been streamlined to be primarily stick, A and B, whilst Sonic games tend to use upwards of 3 buttons with very little tutorialising. The former's a lot more accessible (and intuitive - "jump and run" is a more natural set of commands than "jump, spindash, boost, run, kick, homing attack, slide, somersault").

It's mostly about tone; Mario is a lot more whimsical and thus universally appealing, whereas Sonic is ostensibly "cool", so he just ends up appealing to 6-10 year olds.

BHZ Mayor

I was channel surfing and happened to come across Sonic X. I never watched it so I decided to give it a look out of
morbid
curiosity. It was on a scene where Rouge was trying to break away from Shadow and the boy, so she says something like "Hey remember when you Chaos Control'd us to the Ark? Wasn't that the home of Maria?" Then Shadow just absolutely loses his shit and has a nervous breakdown. "Maria? MARIAAAAA!!!!" It was like that Batman "my parents are dead" meme, except apparently taken seriously.

I was channel surfing and happened to come across Sonic X. I never watched it so I decided to give it a look out of
morbid
curiosity. It was on a scene where Rouge was trying to break away from Shadow and the boy, so she says something like "Hey remember when you Chaos Control'd us to the Ark? Wasn't that the home of Maria?" Then Shadow just absolutely loses his shit and has a nervous breakdown. "Maria? MARIAAAAA!!!!" It was like that Batman "my parents are dead" meme, except apparently taken seriously.

Shadow is pretty much the living embodiment of edge and angst, so it doesn't surprise me that happened.

Sciz

Aren't you a little early with the Song of the day, Sciz? Normally you'd have it up in like 6 hours or so from now.

Depends entirely on how late I'm going to bed or how early I'm getting up that day. As long as a day has elapsed by my reckoning, it counts.

qq more

The whole techno direction the song took was surprising going by how different the intro was lol

Great song, one of the best ones in that game.

Razzer

Now this I like. Never played rush adventure, well 5 mins once but that doesn't count. I think you nailed the balance between tropical and techno, but I also think that it goes into a very weird vibe at times, almost alien. That could be because of the cave aspect of course. I like it.

Its one of those games that inspires no passion whatsoever in me, either to break down what I really like about it or what doesn't work. It's just straight monotone, 5/10 kinda game that you don't wanna spend any more time with than you have to.

Its one of those games that inspires no passion whatsoever in me, either to break down what I really like about it or what doesn't work. It's just straight monotone, 5/10 kinda game that you don't wanna spend any more time with than you have to.

Huh, I know what that feels like.

Even from the small amount of time watching Blaze play it on his stream, it looked like a fairly mediocre game. It looked fun too, but it also seemed like it had nothing else going for it.

Nocturnowl, you won't hit the big time unless threads on other boards comment on how mean you are towards video games and how you're impacting the sales of said video games.
Oh snap, you're right.
I'm still small time, though despite your blatant franchise localisation sabotaging attempts I do have a Xillia disc sitting in my PS3 right now.

And I'm in agreement with the other stuff you said.

I've played Lost World for two hours. I have no desire to play it ever again!

/deepanaltyicalpost
Two hours is almost like 75% of the game, may as well finish it.

I'm just saying this so you can experience the games more perplexing moments, I do not have your best interests at heart.

Razzer

So I just checked out the Extra Life thread as I have been watching brad and in the first 2 pages I saw a ton of people who were saying things along the lines of 'stop playing this stupid game and move onto something better' when he started with dota. I thought I'd ask here as I don't believe any of you guys play it.

Is the game really this hated by those who don't play it? There seems to be a large attitude of if I don't understand it then I don't like it. I know this may seem like a random question to ask here but it surprised me.

Noi

I don't follow GB at all, but don't they already have a dedicated weekly DOTA2 show/stream? It could be that people watching their Extra Life stream didn't expect having to watch the game there too.

Razzer

All I know is the people who play it, REALLY fuckin' play it. I've lost some friends to dat DOTA grind, man.

Whilst this is actually more due to a lack of money and convenience, since The Last of Us DOTA is the only thing I have played really. However, whilst I can understand it being frustrating when everyone you know moves on to something else, some people seem to translate this into actual hate. When people say 'I tried it for about 3 hours then quit, I think it's overrated' etc, I sigh because it is exactly the kind of attitude you guys were complaining about earlier, just with the opposite perspective on the game.

Regiruler

If cave, then rave.

I'm not usually fond of this sort of thing, but the techno here is pretty low key. The vocal samples and that funky guitar panned hard right give it a different texture than usual for the genre, and I think that's even the rare tasteful use of a clap sample in there in lieu of a snare. And then there's the steel drum interludes which are just delicious and root the song back into the game's tropical motif.

Rush Adventure's music doesn't have an easy time straddling the line between the high intensity of the Rush gameplay and the laid back nature of the island theming, but somehow they pulled it off several times over.

You know you're now bound by law to do Sky Babylon at some point, right?

What do you guys think of Sonic.exe?

The creepypasta itself or the game based on it?

The creepypasta is a little stale but the game did a good job at recreating the events within the story and had some genuinely disturbing moments. (Mainly the part where Tails just starts bawling incessantly before being caught)

qq more

Oil Ocean is one of my favorite Sonic 2 songs along with Metropolis and Aquatic Ruins <3

Come to think of it, Sonic 2's OST was really diverse wasn't it?

qq more

I thought the Godzilla creepypasta was... really really dumb lol

I have a pet peeve about obvious inaccuracies on hardware limitations, that and I thought it was poorly written and cliche

I thought the Godzilla creepypasta was... really really dumb lol

I have a pet peeve about obvious inaccuracies on hardware limitations, that and I thought it was poorly written and cliche

I agree with all that.

Yet for some reason I couldn't stop reading it.

I'm playing on an NES.

And man, are these graphics HYPER-REALISTIC. I'm also impressed at all this BLOOD that Nintendo allowed to get through their content screenings. There's so much of it, it's SLIPPERY LIKE AN ICE WORLD.

Who would have thought that accepting a game from some creepy old man, getting it for 1 cent off of Ebay, or taking after someone screamed "TAKE IT AWAY!" would be a bad idea?

And who would think that radically altered start ups meant a high likelyhood of bootlegged copies or rom hacks?

And most of all: who would have thought downloading an .exe file from a random site was a bad idea?

Certainly not I. And now I am among the dead. There is bloody blood on the bloody floor and hyper realistic blood flows from my eyes. My Mario doll is hacking me to pieces as it is possessed by Shigeru Miyamoto's hateful spirit, forgotten by the gaming community he had given so much to. Oh, didn't I tell you? The year is 2120...

DUN DUN DUN!

We are terrible...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom