• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was literally about to post the same lyric before I went with the Lost World diss, holy shit
KuGsj.gif

PKrockin

The other stages are fun when you don't concern yourself with ranks or objectives and dick around in them.

This is how I played them and had fun as a kid.

The emerald hunting stages are not long if you just use the hint TVs... except Meteor Herd, fuck that stage. And you get Knuckles's glorious raps and Rouge's music which I can never dislike. Controlling him is actually kind of fun, too, with digging, climbing up to high points and gliding around, doing that spiraling dive attack, etc.

The shooting stages aren't that bad either, they're just straightforward action. They're short, easy, and shooting the fuck out of everything is satisfying sometimes.

Regiruler

I think you people are a bit too hard on Lost World.

It might be frustrating, but from my experience once you have a technique down the game is fairly consistent about it.
That and doing a complete 360 around a horizontal axis using nothing but handgrabs is fun.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #41

Song: Apotos ~ Day
Game: Sonic Unleashed
Composer: Fumie Kumatani
Maccaferri Guitars: Shinji Kawase and Yoshifumi Yamamoto
Wood Bass: Naomi Nakamura
Flute: Hideyo Takakuwa

I've done enough evangelizing of Unleashed's night themes to get them some recognition around these parts, but I'm less sure the town themes are as universally beloved as they should be. Let's fix that.

A lazy white port town on the sea enjoys a new day - the sun is rising, the birds are singing, and it's time to get about the day's business - but not too quickly - take an easy pace, and greet your neighbors as you walk down the street - stop and have a chat for a while, there's time - ah, the town square, center of your little community - but what's this? Some blue hedgehog is walking around with a little purple thing - intriguing! - but no cause for alarm, it seems, just another visitor from abroad - and life goes on in its simple, ambling way~

Razzer

The town themes can never be under appreciated when the Shamar day theme exists. This one is also excellent. Very relaxing. The guitar gives the piece the European feel it is going for, and the flute makes evrything whimsical and happy. You can't feel bad with this playing. They even get a little chance to show some virtuosity (is this a word?) towards the end of the piece. And the gentle percussion in the back carries you along throughout the piece. Very well constructed and put together on the whole.

I've done enough evangelizing of Unleashed's night themes to get them some recognition around these parts, but I'm less sure the town themes are as universally beloved as they should be. Let's fix that.

A lazy white port town on the sea enjoys a new day - the sun is rising, the birds are singing, and it's time to get about the day's business - but not too quickly - take an easy pace, and greet your neighbors as you walk down the street - stop and have a chat for a while, there's time - ah, the town square, center of your little community - but what's this? Some blue hedgehog is walking around with a little purple thing - intriguing! - but no cause for alarm, it seems, just another visitor from abroad - and life goes on in its simple, ambling way~

Love the whole of this OST.

The overall jazz focus and emphasis on inserting cultural identity to every track really stood out for me.

Really the crowning achievement of the Sonic Team sound team, I love it to death.

qq more

Sonic Unleashed's OST is too good, it definitely brought a smile to my face despite not liking most of the game itself much.

PKrockin

I love this one. It's a catchy toe tapper, yet so relaxing and carefree. That soft bass and flute immediately put me in a great mood playing the game.

Pietepiet

Just finished the Wii U version of Lost World. Yeah.......

I'm gonna have to give Colours another go. I always felt Colours was a little on the slow side, but it can't be much slower than Lost World, can it?

TheOGB

Banned

This song, the night version, Spagonia Night, Holoska Night, and a few other Unleashed tracks are part of my music therapy. They now have sentimental value to me. They're just... soothing, pleasant, beautiful.

I hope that one day Sega is able to provide us with another masterpiece of a soundtrack like Unleashed.

It's actually pretty accessible for first timers. There are some references and characters coming back you might not get like a fan would, but its pretty self-contained.

It's actually pretty accessible for first timers. There are some references and characters coming back you might not get like a fan would, but its pretty self-contained.

To add to this, some moments might fly over your head in terms of how big they are.

I strongly recommend playing the first 4 games. But if you can't, then AA5 is still alright.

All right, that's all I wanted to know. The demo is rad.

To add to this, some moments might fly over your head in terms of how big they are.

Fair enough. As blasphemous as it might sound, I might just look up stuff on Wikipedia.

PKrockin

OK, people, tell me straight up: should I buy AA5? It'll be my first AA game.

I have 15 quid sat on my 3DS waiting to be used either way.
Play the others first. You can play the whole Ace Attorney series on a 3DS, WiiWare has good but non-portable ports of the first three games for cheaper, iOS has shitty ports for even cheaper.

You can play DD first but the original trilogy is just as good and being a story driven game it's best to play in order if possible.

PW: AA, PW: AA: Justice for All, PW: AA: Trials and Tribulations, Apollo Justice, AA Investigations, and Dual Destinies is the order.

Ace Attorney Investigations is kind of a standalone spin off.

iOS has a free demo of the first game's first two cases.

Fair enough. As blasphemous as it might sound, I might just look up stuff on Wikipedia.
Don't make me slap you

That's not really an option. I got the eshop money as a gift: whilst I can afford to throw in an extra fiver to get AA5, I can't really afford to get the iOS games plus a DS game.

I'm aware that it would be preferable to play the first 4 games first, but that ain't really what I'm asking. I'm asking if I can play AA5 first at all.

I would actually suggest watching playthroughs on Youtube over Wikipedia, if actually playing the games is out of the question. :p

That's actually a much better idea.

PKrockin

That's not really an option. I got the eshop money as a gift: whilst I can afford to throw in an extra fiver to get AA5, I can't really afford to get the iOS games plus a DS game.

I'm aware that it would be preferable to play the first 4 games first, but that ain't really what I'm asking. I'm asking if I can play AA5 first at all.
In that case, yeah, go for it.

BlackJace

Uh, Timeless made a newcomer FAQ for the AA5 OT. Playing the trilogy isn't necessary per se, but it would be nice.

If anything, AA4 would be the best bet, as it leads pretty much directly into it.

But, it wouldnt really RUIN the experience if you played 5 first.

Thanks guys. I'll look up that FAQ, BlackJace.

edit: Hahaha, that FAQ is a total "fuck you, play them!". But it ain't happening. I refuse to sit through the iOS ports, even if I could afford to drop 15 quid on them right now.

TheOGB

Banned
I'll be getting AA5 as my first Ace Attorney game and I've already looked up/watched the major events of the first four games, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'd say that the most important game to play prior to AA5 is AA4, simply because a few of the story segments from AA4 are talked about in AA5.

Even so, AA5 is one of the best games I've played this year.

Remember earlier this year when Beef and I were calling the 3DS out? Beef actually got a 3DS and I got games I would otherwise not play.

----

I had 1.5 hours of sleep today, and I can't talk about how much I love Unleashed's soundtrack again. I don't care what anyone says; out of the Uncolourations games (and including Lost World), Unleashed's soundtrack is the most polished and most ambitious one out of the the four, in my opinion. I've probably been over this a billion times, though, haha. I do have to say that I prefer the night themes and stage themes overall, but Apotos Day isn't that bad. I guess the concentration of maccaferri guitars, wood bass, light casual percussion, and flute was an attempt to resonate with the city they modeled Apotos after (Santorini, Greece) to sound more folksy.

I think you people are a bit too hard on Lost World.

It might be frustrating, but from my experience once you have a technique down the game is fairly consistent about it.
That and doing a complete 360 around a horizontal axis using nothing but handgrabs is fun.
Added you on Miiverse, but I don't think anyone in this thread brought up difficulty as a major point of contention with the game. Since people didn't really mention it, I don't think a lot of us had an issue with it.

The issue lies mostly with game structure and design for some, or just not feeling 'right' for others.

qq more

If Unleashed is the King of modern Sonic music then Colors is the Prince.

Where does Generations fit in?

I'd say that the most important game to play prior to AA5 is AA4, simply because a few of the story segments from AA4 are talked about in AA5.

Even so, AA5 is one of the best games I've played this year.

Remember earlier this year when Beef and I were calling the 3DS out? Beef actually got a 3DS and I got games I would otherwise not play.

This is what happens you doubt Nintendo handhelds! If there's one thing Nintendo is consistently good at is making their handhelds have a great library!

It's downloading now, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I heard it was one of the best games of the year, and here I am with a surprise opportunity to play it. So yeah. I've played pretty much every other 3DS game this year... :lol

qq more

It's downloading now, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I heard it was one of the best games of the year, and here I am with a surprise opportunity to play it. So yeah. I've played pretty much every other 3DS game this year... :lol
It is great seeing many people are getting into Ace Attorney. I remember years ago I tried to convince my friends to play them and half of them were like "court stuff sounds boring" or something... Those foolish fools!

Generations is a little iffy since its more or less a compilation of remixes.

But man does my boy Ohtani go ham with his tracks.

true

Um, what about Sonic Chronicles that is TOTALLY not terrible at all? :D :D :d :asdklgjkgdjksgd *dies from it*

Every time someone does this Pearls gets punched in the face.

Think of poor Pearls ;-;
All the punching done by Lightning Lord. That horrible monster punching poor little kids!

PKrockin

I had 1.5 hours of sleep today, and I can't talk about how much I love Unleashed's soundtrack again. I don't care what anyone says; out of the Uncolourations games (and including Lost World), Unleashed's soundtrack is the most polished and most ambitious one out of the the four, in my opinion. I've probably been over this a billion times, though, haha. I do have to say that I prefer the night themes and stage themes overall, but Apotos Day isn't that bad. I guess the concentration of maccaferri guitars, wood bass, light casual percussion, and flute was an attempt to resonate with the city they modeled Apotos after (Santorini, Greece) to sound more folksy.
I'd say that's almost indisputable.

It is great seeing many people are getting into Ace Attorney. I remember years ago I tried to convince my friends to play them and half of them were like "court stuff sounds boring" or something... Those foolish fools!
i remember when I first saw the game in the form of the trailer on the Wind Waker preorder bonus disc, and my thoughts were basically laughter and bewilderment. I didn't think it could possibly be good. Then I forgot about it until stumbling on a clip of the final confrontation of 1-4. That's when I knew I had to buy it right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom