• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razzer

I can't listen to that right now, but when you mentioned bass I suddenly got Oil ocean into my head and now whenever I try to remember the Sandopolis theme that is all that comes to me. Now there is a tune you could use to back up the mega drive. (You people and your Genesis)

Quackula

I can't listen to that right now, but when you mentioned bass I suddenly got Oil ocean into my head and now whenever I try to remember the Sandopolis theme that is all that comes to me. Now there is a tune you could use to back up the mega drive. (You people and your Genesis)

Oh crap, I saw "Sandopolis" and thought the music popped into my head, but now that you mentioned Oil Ocean I just realized that the music that popped into my head was actually from that.

Whoops!

Razzer

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #42

Song: Sandopolis Zone Act 1
Game: Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
Composer: Hell if I know

Sonic 2 and 3(& Knuckles) don't really have any bad tracks in my opinion, so obviously this is also good by default. If you asked me how good though, I would say... funky. I don't know, for some reason it reminds me of a more ethereal version of funk haha. The longer notes in the back certainly give that alien or ghost like feel, and the main bass and melody drive the idea of overcoming some large task. Not sure how I would rate this against other 16-bit tracks, but it isn't lower down that's for sure.

PKrockin

I'm one of the few people that actually loves that zone. Mainly Act 2.

The music really helps

Even though it goes on too long, Act 2 actually has a really cool concept. Accidentally unleashing a ton of ghosts inside an ancient pyramid, and getting chased all over the place as the lights dim? Awesome. The way the game stalls you by throwing in little puzzles and keeping the pace slower raises the tension a lot when you're a kid and not very good at the game. Today it's so much easier so it just gets tedious instead, but I still appreciate what it was doing.

Tizoc

Just beat World 1 of Lost Word 3DS. Dunno how I feel about it so far but playing a Sonic game by taking my time/going slow is...gonna take a while to get used to. ...but man do I wish the Acts weren't so long.
The spindash in the 2d stage is weird, I don't like how you don't get much boost a quick tap and that multi tapping it doesn't charge it up for a faster spindash like in the old games.
Act 3's gravity swapping was ridiculous, cost me a life and thunder shield.

McdJYl.jpg

I just got Sonic Lost World. Controls are a bit odd, but it'll take some time to get used to.
So consistent with my take from an hour of it last night, then. :V

I wonder if the 25 lives from Amazon is permanent (like, it resets to 25 when I Game Over, always) or one time (have 25 lives on top of your current; once they're gone, they're gone)?

Anth0ny

Ah, yes, that level. It's a real bitch, yeah. There's this one jump that always got me as a kid - it's at the tail end of being chased by three boulders in a row. You have to do this jump at the very last minute, but because the platform you're jumping off of turns to bright orange on the far right, where it overlaps a bright orange background, it's hard to tell - so I always jumped early, and always got nailed by the boulder as a result. Once you get past that boulder, it's a little more sane.

Here's a video of a guy playing it without dying at all. Reference it, I guess.

GOD I know the exact platform you're talking about. It's camouflaged. Died so many times there.

I ended up beating it last night, but man was that a pain.

Of course, you can always do what I did as a kid, and recite the magic words, "ABBA, ABBA..."

Cheat codes. Classic. I've been using that to get back to Escape from the Cave after getting a couple of game overs, but I don't want to actually SKIP levels :p

Actually, I think the game gets amazingly easier after Escape from the Cave. I mean, Rug Ride's a bitch, but if you've been stocking up on lives, then repeatedly failing will just shoo you on to the next stage anyway (the only stage to do so).

Fuck Sonic, if you want to see BLAST PROCESSING, play Rug Ride in Aladdin for Genesis. Jesus Christ.

Regiruler

The parkour really grew on me and I wish there was more levels that had a focus on it other than that one Secret in Silent Forest Zone 3 and Sky Road Zone 1.

We need a name for the Lost World final boss since they never gave it a name. My vote goes to
Egg Crusader

Oh, and Zones 1, 3, and 4 of the hidden world should have been the thematic basis for a full world, and Zone 2 should have been in
Sky Road
but they probably couldn't for plot reasons.

Ah I remember going for both those stage secrets before I knew about Sonic being able infinitely to jump sideways across walls in the game, yeah those attempts worked out about as well as you might expect. I was expecting Parkour to be really more of a thing than it actually was, most of the time it's an unusually slow way of getting extra height off a wall or grabbing ledges as opposed to the rather fast flowing shortcut creator I had envisioned in my minds eye, well I still have hopes that the idea can be refined in the future (and then dropped when they finally get it working fully).

Final boss can be called
Egg Rehash (not that I minded)

Kokonoe

Banned
The hard as hell game where you play as a skeleton with two swords on element-themed levels? I never hear people talk about that game.

Yes. No one on GAF talks about it but it deserves some praise. I plan on creating a thread about it in a few months.

The only filter I approve of for Genesis pixel art is one of those filters designed to emulate NTSC composite blur, like blargg's. A lot of pixel art was designed with it in mind, so sometimes turning it on to make it all pop out is fun to do. (Says the guy who has an RGB cable for his Genesis...)

qq more

That's... just a bilinear filter.
And yet it hurts my eyes so badly in motion.

It's horrible, I mean all filters are bad, but holy shit this one is baddddddddddddd

pure pixels > *

EDIT: I guess scanlines can be acceptable, I've never experimented with it much myself though.

EDIT2: I just tried the filter again and my eyes are bothering me. this is your fault shadowhog!

PKrockin

If that makes your eyes bleed QQ what do you think of the 3DS's DS upscaling?

Also, I didn't notice it in the gifs, but even the position of the character's legs when he's standing reminds me of Mega Man.

qq more

If that makes your eyes bleed QQ what do you think of the 3DS's DS upscaling?

Also, I didn't notice it in the gifs, but even the position of the character's legs when he's standing reminds me of Mega Man.

It's awful but it doesn't bug me as much (since it's on a smaller screen), but after a while it starts to bother me more than it originally did. blurry Mario 64 DS :(

DSiXL is the definite way to play DS games

Sciz

it occurs to me

The ghosts of Sandopolis are only released when Sonic cracks open an Egg Capsule.

Robotnik is a Ghostbuster.

PKrockin

it occurs to me

The ghosts of Sandopolis are only released when Sonic cracks open an Egg Capsule.

Robotnik is a Ghostbuster.

I was just thinking about that. Did he anticipate that Sonic would accidentally release them? Is this part of a propaganda campaign against Sonic?

Ya know, I think one of the best things about Skyward Sword is this spin jump Link does coming out of the water. I feel like a goddamn elf ninja every time I do it, and he just rolls out of it like a g.

Or maybe they're the ghosts of animal friends that suffocated in there.

Box of Bunnies
(Today, 08:49 PM)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom