• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well they had Resistance, but that stalled out and that franchise is dead. Plus, Fuse was pretty mediocre by most impressions, so I can't feel TOO sorry.

I'm just glad next week we'll get some classic R&C back, even in budget form. Haven't had that since 2009.

Tizoc

Well since we're gonna talk about it anyways...
RiP Japanese gaming industry 1985-2006ish
20 Years was a good long time.

Tizoc

For the past year, and with how Japanese devs are leaning towards mobile gaming, which has become their main method of income. Their golden age had ended by the start of this gen, just Look at Konami, Hudson, S-E, SEGA and Cacpom for example.
Granted they release a handful of big budget titles, but they as well be known as 'video game series' company.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The Mayor of Toronto, everyone. It's weird seeing the Sun rip him apart since they used to defend him to bits. The Sun.

Well since we're gonna talk about it anyways...
RiP Japanese gaming industry 1985-2006ish
20 Years was a good long time.
I just woke up from my... fuck I don't know what kind of sleep I had but it wasn't really a good sleep in any case... saw people getting mad and hyperbolic (like this quoted example, here) and then decided to go on the shareholder site to read the pdf file. Granted, I just woke up and I'm tired, but...

Uhm.

I don't really understand why some companies are going for this "throw all eggs into one basket, let's cut and run for money" approach. Because it does look like, going by some of the charts and stats they provided on the rest of the pdf, that they made some money. The language used is "focus on" and "accelerate" though I don't think they ever said "exclusively".

However, the hyperbole from some people who just don't... read, I guess? It doesn't seem to be exclusively the case. Going by the language that they're using in the pdf document, they aren't saying that they're going to stop HD/handheld development, but they're going for a focus on smartphone stuff and Eidos to work on online stuff. Unless they start entirely laying off people and cancelling a ton of projects, I don't see them completely scaling back on HD/handheld development unless shit doesn't work out for them on that front, but there's no denying that games development is expensive and will be expensive in this coming generation. Relying on more things then their three great pillars (DQ/FF/KH) would probably be superfluous expenditures for them given the cost of development (especially since SE really really really loves to put on extra bells and whistles onto their games in terms of making it look pretty). The biggest casualty, most likely, will be the mid-tier titles like Drakengard if/provided that they don't sell well.

I mean, I was warned by some people that, yes, this industry is going to get more and more mobile-focused, especially with the advent of iOS7's controller support, but I don't see people throwing all eggs into one basket. That's just a bubble waiting to burst if people did that.

The online bit where Eidos said that they're going more online-focused is basically referring to making their console games more online-focused (presumably adding more focus to MP (ex: Crystal Dynamics to Tomb Raider), putting microtransactions in their SP titles, going F2P with some original games, or making some online stuff...and uh, they did say that earlier this year in a blog post before, so this isn't new news).

What certainly makes me nervous is the DQ slide (which I could also interpret to being, "DQ can be developed for consoles/handhelds, sure, but we'll port it to smartphones inevitably" or even vice-versa), but people going out and saying "last FF on consoles!" are probably shouting that the sky is falling. FFXII was the "last FF as we knew it" seven years ago, and look where we are?

Just read the document linked in the OP of that thread. Or heck, let me link it here: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/14q2slides.pdf. Don't swear off on just the things you read in the OP. Go back and read the source and form your reading of the the form. It's like academic research, you see. It's certainly an "end of an era", but the hyperbole surrounding that document makes me scratch my head, given that what they seem to be doing is covering their bases more? I almost wonder if their aim is to make their games that are domestically-developed multiplatform (ie: smartphones being the other platform or the lead platform, and the game would maybe get ported inevitably... which is what already happens?).

That sort of behaviour shouldn't shock me anymore. As an aside, I guess I've just grown tired of the amount of hyperbole about everything. Or reading of things for a negative or positive spin (yes, this can certainly be just as bad as negative spin; we've all seen Fox News, we know how that works) on 'em. It just makes me feel tired.

I'm going back to bed.

I think FFXV will come out, be a hit, and then spend the next 15 years try to repeat that success without understanding why it was a hit in the first place.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #43

Song: Meta Junglira
Game: Sonic Triple Trouble
Composer: Yayoi Wachi

Chiptunes don't get much chippier, or more chipper. The drums and bass are forgettable and the melody just good enough to keep the piece going, but it's the rapid-fire boops of the harmony that first worm their way into your head, then your heart. The first fifteen seconds set a standard that the rest doesn't quite live up to, but I just can't be disappointed with a piece that's doing its darndest to pull off the 8-bit equivalent of scat.

what the hell kind of name is Meta Junglira anyway

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #41

Song: Apotos ~ Day
Game: Sonic Unleashed
Composer: Fumie Kumatani
Maccaferri Guitars: Shinji Kawase and Yoshifumi Yamamoto
Wood Bass: Naomi Nakamura
Flute: Hideyo Takakuwa
Probably the lightest and airiest of all of the town themes. Probably only because it's the first stage, but yeah, by far the most laidback of the lot. It works really well, though; definitely sets up a great, friendly atmosphere to ease you into the plot and stuff.

(Personally, I prefer Empire City's themes, but I'm a sucker for jazz.)

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #42

Song: Sandopolis Zone Act 1
Game: Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
Composer: Hell if I know
Act 1 was always pretty good; it's Act 2 I recall having issues with. Both have some amazing bass, sitar(?) and shehnai(?) instruments, though. Admittedly, it does evoke a lot of the usual cliche "hey it's Egypt lol" motifs you see in cheaply made cartoons and such, but it strings so many of them together it actually adds up to more than the sum of its parts, and totally comes out into its own as such.

(Fun fact: Archie had slipped a sheet of paper with a reader Q&A with one of the comics I got back in the day, and one of the questions a reader asked was how to beat the Act 1 boss - ergo, I knew about it going in, and never got stuck on him. Getting haunted by the ghosts, on the other hand...)

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #43

Song: Meta Junglira
Game: Sonic Triple Trouble
Composer: Yayoi Wachi
I've always been really impressed with how Sega managed to get steel drums out of a square wave that had a whopping single duty cycle. They did it here, and they did it even more in Tails Adventures (although that's Koujiro Mikusa and not Yayoi Wachi; she was probably working on Magic Knight Rayearth or Panzer Dragoon Zwei by that point).

Anyway, I think the lead's pretty good, actually. Sure, it's nowhere near as great as its neighboring Sunset Hill 3 and Robotnik Winter, but it's a fittingly jaunty little tune, about as lively as you'd expect a jungle to be.

Also, I completely forgot about the part at 1:46; I keep thinking its loop point is actually around 1:00 (because let's face it, it totally loops there once), but nope, after that second "loop", it actually basically completely restarts the song.

what the hell kind of name is Meta Junglira anyway
Also, why is it not "Eggman Winter" in Japan? It's "Robotnik Winter" there, too.

qq more

CD port is great, it's the same Taxman port from the 360/PS3/iOS/Android.

The rest of the genesis games are for an emulator. From my experience with Flicky, I think the emulator is alright but it seems to be glitchy with save stating not ever working for me... but it's been a while ago so hopefully that was patched.

CD port is great, it's the same Taxman port from the 360/PS3/iOS/Android.

The rest of the genesis games are for an emulator. From my experience with Flicky, I think the emulator is alright but it seems to be glitchy with save stating not ever working for me... but it's been a while ago so hopefully that was patched.

Wait, so you have to have an emulator despite buying it off of steam?

qq more

No, he's saying they're emulations. Backbone emulations, too, so consider that.

I'm curious if S3&K's New Game+ feature made it in, despite getting cut from the XBLA version by the same people.

The New Game+ feature should be in, the emulator doesn't force you into a custom menu or anything.

PKrockin

No, he's saying they're emulations. Backbone emulations, too, so consider that.

I'm curious if S3&K's New Game+ feature made it in, despite getting cut from the XBLA version by the same people.

You mean on the file select screen being able to select the level you want to play with the amount of emeralds, lives and continues you finished the game with? Yeah you can.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The Iron Sheik is a jobber who was defeated by Hulk Hogan in the 80s and that match gave birth to Hulkamania.

He's in Toronto this week to... do something, I forget. But since Rob Ford (the current Mayor of Toronto) had his crack scandal balloon yesterday, I guess he figured he'd challenge Ford to an arm-wrestling competition for publicity as I've linked above. I guess he forgot that Ford "beat" Hogan in the same type of competition earlier this year. :V

Anyway, crack scandal thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=707147
Summary of why Ford's a shit mayor here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88804286&postcount=1449
Why we cannot impeach mayors in Canada here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88775243&postcount=1328

Not to mention he's a racist, homophobic pos pathological liar who comes into work at like 12 PM and leaves at 3 PM.

Jon Stewart on Rob Ford this year:
May 21, 2013
November 4, 2013
November 5, 2013

Stephen Colbert on Rob Ford last night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efomqKJuUfY

Ford wore a novelty NFL tie from 1995 to admit his mistake that he did while in a "drunken stupor", and again to apologize profusely for being a pathological liar.

BHZ Mayor

The Iron Sheik is a jobber who was defeated by Hulk Hogan in the 80s and that match gave birth to Hulkamania.

He's in Toronto this week to... do something, I forget. But since Rob Ford (the current Mayor of Toronto) had his crack scandal balloon yesterday, I guess he figured he'd challenge Ford to an arm-wrestling competition for publicity as I've linked above. I guess he forgot that Ford "beat" Hogan in the same type of competition earlier this year. :V

Anyway, crack scandal thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=707147
Summary of why Ford's a shit mayor here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88804286&postcount=1449
Why we cannot impeach mayors in Canada here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88775243&postcount=1328

Not to mention he's a racist, homophobic pos pathological liar who comes into work at like 12 PM and leaves at 3 PM.

Jon Stewart on Rob Ford this year:
May 21, 2013
November 4, 2013
November 5, 2013

Stephen Colbert on Rob Ford last night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efomqKJuUfY

Ford wore a novelty NFL tie from 1995 to admit his mistake that he did while in a "drunken stupor", and again to apologize profusely for being a pathological liar.

Thanks for the "why he's shit" part, as I was on the "He smoked crack, that's it?" train when I saw the news coverage this morning.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So why was he elected again?
The thing about Toronto was that it was amalgamated again and made larger of a city under a previous mayor back in 1998. So essentially you have suburbanites having more of a say in what goes on in Toronto than those living in the downtown core (where everything from transit to the lakefront needs to work). Those living in the downtown core voted for someone else: someone who is a high school dropout, gay, and married to his husband... yet was a former MPP and owned his own business. Though that person was probably more representative of what you all conceive Toronto to be.

2010electionresults2jo1z.gif

Most of those blue areas are amalgamated suburban areas, not necessarily Toronto proper itself.

They call themselves "Ford Nation", and like Rob Ford because he saves them money (ie: he's conservative) and because they think he's a nice guy who they'd like to have a beer and watch football with.

Rob Ford's dad was also in politics: Doug Ford Sr. was a member of the PC provincial party for four years, and he owned a label company, which Rob Ford now uses (despite being more expensive than other contractors) for his office. His older brother (who also works as a city councillor) has higher political ambitions for the provincial government.

xu7K1w8.gif

So I guess it's a combination of nepotism and ignorance.

Edit: Oh, and what's awesome is that Ford was very vocal when a left-wing politician cheated on his girlfriend with a university student, and was telling him to resign from his job. :V Huuuuge story cuz that was back when I was an undergrad at the University of Toronto, and people actually did know the woman in question.

And what's also awesome:
Barnett was one of the staffers who was with Ford during his drunken St. Patrick's Day party in his City Hall office back in 2012.

The night included Ford knocking Brooks off his feet in an apparent rage, jumping on his giant Cut the Waist challenge scale and stripping off his clothes, smashing his cellphone on the wall, crying uncontrollably and even throwing racial slurs and his business cards at a cab driver.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So... gerrymandering, basically?
Hmmm... I guess you could say that, but not quite. Though I'll say that gerrymandering isn't usually an issue in Canada in terms of provincial/federal politics. In terms of municipal politics, city wards are independently-recommended, but city councils can overrule them.

Despite being friends with those in the conservative party, there are no parties involved when it comes to municipal politics here. You merely run on a platform or ideology of your own.

PKrockin

I won't lie, it's nice to be reminded once in a while that we Americans aren't the only ones with corrupt, morally bankrupt politicians.

Razzer

You had me at conservative basically. Though obviously the other stuff is worse.

Edit: We may think our politicians are bad but honestly places like russia or africa, (in some places) are much worse. And that's not even getting into places like the middle east and the troubles they are having. It's a sad truth that the level of corruption in America Britain etc is some of the tamest, yet it is already unacceptable.

TheOGB

Banned
We're all not so different after all. It doesn't matter where you are, your color or creed, who you love, or what you believe

Politics suck everywhere

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yes, a lot of those countries where they receive aid from other countries, yet the politicians abuse it and use it for themselves instead of giving it to those who do really need it. Uganda is a good example. Hotel Rwanda was an excellent movie depicting genocide, and no government wanted to help (and the mayor of one town actually organized for some killings to take place). Does this mean foreign aid has to stop? No. Because most of the aid does go to people who do need it. Especially for money that isn't given to a foreign government, but is instead directly spent on an aid project.

The Canadian government took a loooooong time to apologize to the Aboriginal Peoples of Canada due to pride, and the reserve system in Africa was actually based off of the crappy Canadian model. And the government of Alberta had eugenics legislation until the 1970s, which was actually helped to be put into place by a woman who campaigned for (Caucasian-only) women to be recognized as "persons" in order to vote in the 1920s.

I assume that the Americans in this thread know about the government-funded Tuskegee syphilis experiment that extended from the 1930s to the 1970s and only stopped when people learned about it.

So, yeah, politics can be pretty fucked up.

Razzer

Don't even get me started on aid haha. The idea that there is enough money to solve poverty by most estimations, and comfortably at that, so it wouldn't even require us to give up much, yet it sits in offshore accounts, frankly infuriates me. But let's not get into that here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom