• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
They can't do Tales for shit, either.

Fuck this shit. I don't want to play the 3DS version of Lost World anymore. It's legitimately making me angry and snippy with people.

qq more

They also worked on Kirby & The Amazing Mirror! I would not be surprised if they were responsible for any of the gameplay or level design!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Fuck everything.

It's like... You've all seen me rip on games all year in this thread. Ni no Kuni, Sticker Star, Tokitowa, Remember Me, DmC, whatever. This is legitimately the first game this year that I feel like I'm going to quit playing because its design isn't very good.

And I don't really drop games. I usually stick through to the end even if I dislike them.

Razzer

I'd have to finish Assassin's Creed 2 first, and I gave my copy away with my 360.

Ace Combat 4 is good?

I do not like Animal Crossing.

Clearly I was talking about Armoured Core 4.

I had to look for an alternative, I think I've heard of this game?

OMG Aero

Fuck everything.

It's like... You've all seen me rip on games all year in this thread. Ni no Kuni, Sticker Star, Tokitowa, Remember Me, DmC, whatever. This is legitimately the first game this year that I feel like I'm going to quit playing because its design isn't very good.

And I don't really drop games. I usually stick through to the end even if I dislike them.
stop playing bad video games that you dont like

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
AC2 is a good game, though.

Replaying older levels in Sonic Lost World 3DS, and there's a level that's pretty reminiscent of Surf Cabana/Surf Beach in Mario Sunshine. You know how there's a juicer and you need to roll a watermelon there?

One of the levels in Tropical Coast 3DS is kinda like that, except your slowly pushing apples into holes and then pushing them into the juicer to make the apple juice level rise for the end of the level.

...If I wanted to play Mario, I'd play Mario, you know what I mean? Just because the mechanic/controls would be more refined in a Mario game. I'll give it points for gimmick stages, but that's not really what I come to Sonic for.

stop playing bad video games that you dont like
I dropped Pokemon for a while for this too. -_-

ibpJTd5cldhWBk.gif

Ya know, I give Dimps a lot of shit, but they did co-develop Street Fighter 4, and they will always have props for that.

Dimps developed the only DBZ games my friends and I still enjoy playing today. Can't consistently make a good Sonic title for shit, but at least they have that in my book.

PKrockin

AC2 is a good game, though.

Replaying older levels in Sonic Lost World 3DS, and there's a level that's pretty reminiscent of Surf Cabana/Surf Beach in Mario Sunshine. You know how there's a juicer and you need to roll a watermelon there?

One of the levels in Tropical Coast 3DS is kinda like that, except your slowly pushing apples into holes and then pushing them into the juicer to make the apple juice level rise for the end of the level.

...If I wanted to play Mario, I'd play Mario, you know what I mean? Just because the mechanic/controls would be more refined in a Mario game. I'll give it points for gimmick stages, but that's not really what I come to Sonic for.

I too enjoy puzzles in sonic games such as silver's billiard ball puzzle in sonic 06

What's wrong with Pokemon XY?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I dropped Sonic Lost World 3DS so you all should be happy.

Essentially the Silent Forest boss was the last straw, and I was tired of the game's horrible camera angles giving me nausea.

I also find the soundtrack overall in both versions to be underwhelming. Until I get the soundtrack later this month, I can't exactly put my finger on why I don't like it as much as I thought I was going to like it.

I too enjoy puzzles in sonic games such as silver's billiard ball puzzle in sonic 06

What's wrong with Pokemon XY?
Pfft, I used the skip glitch for that. :p

Nothing's wrong with Pokemon XY! I like it! I just dropped it for a bit for Sonic Lost World 3DS which appeared to be a grave mistake.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You mean the same music they used for two stages in two worlds for some weird reason instead of composing world-specific music with motifs like Ohtani would probably usually do? Not even world map-area music which baffles me a little, I guess.

I guess what's the most baffling for me is that there just seems to be little progression in the themes themselves, which is strange coming off of Unleashed and Colours. I hate to say it, but I don't think this one's going to make it on my SotY short list at all.

qq more

It was used twice?

Ehhh, I don't care honestly. It's such a nice song.

Btw, that reminds me. Why does the game rehash Windy Hill assets so much?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Btw, that reminds me. Why does the game rehash Windy Hill assets so much?
Better question: Why are some of Sonic Colours' BGMs reused in this game when at least one of them doesn't fit?

Still, that's a good question, too. Perhaps the joke about them coming up with a concept but realizing they have to construct an entire game out of that concept so they reused assets a lot may have some truth to it.

EDIT: You guys it has just come to my attention that there was a new RPG released this week in Japan called Exstetra. It's a game developed by the people who did Unchained Blades, and Yoko Shimomura composed the main theme for it.

You fight in RPG combat but with a twist. When you defeat enemies with your male main character, you gain EXS energy which lets you use special attacks, and he's the only one who can use this. But... butbutbut, you can transfer EXS energy with a kiss. So when you kiss another character, you start up a kissing minigame which is basically a QTE to make your kisses get more passionate to transfer more EXS energy for other party members to use attacks. You can do it with any member in your party (as we are also presuming that you'd kiss the guys too). :)

And the upgrade/level up/armour/weapon system in the game is horrible! You gain abilities by enchanting your gear, and abilities grow by the number of times that you've enchanted your armour, and thus it sounds like you have to farm to get better abilities (and thus the game would probably be incredibly grindy!).

Oh, and the music outside of the main theme apparently sounds like ass. :)

This game is anime as fuck, you guys.

I'll laugh so hard if someone manages to ever localize this... and then cry if they do because why are you people continuing to localize horrible games because apparently it really is horrible based on importer impressions. :(
Japan, pls. :(

Razzer

So.. uh, I guess I shouldn't get Lost World then. Oh well, less money I have to spend!

However, I'm going home for the weekend and when I come back I'm gonna bring my xbox (and maybe convince my dad to let me take his PS3) with me, so I can actually start playing other games again. First agenda will be doing a playthrough of Blue Dragon. I wanna see if it holds up like I remember since we talked about it a bit a few weeks ago.

Quackula

I'll laugh so hard if someone manages to ever localize this... and then cry if they do because why are you people continuing to localize horrible games because apparently it really is horrible based on importer impressions. :(
Japan, pls. :(

They localized Time and Eternity after all...

I wonder if some of these werido crappy RPGs in Japan only sell because of the kusoge crowd?

AniHawk

rayman legends is such a happy game. it's like the anti-jak ii. unlike me, it's free of cynicism. but that makes sense, since michel ancel is video game jesus (which i guess makes jason rubin video game tim curry from 'legend').

qq more

I wonder if some of these werido crappy RPGs in Japan only sell because of the kusoge crowd?

T&E actually has... uh... genuine fans. Some of them tends to get overly defensive when you don't like the game and just assumes you're a CoD fanboy.

Not making any of this up

Pietepiet

The Wii U version is way more guilty of trying to be a Mario game than the 3DS version is, IMO. Also, sorry if I mislead you into buying this with my 3DS version impressions, which were generally positive...

[EDIT] Also, you guys say what you want about Dimps, but at least they kept the franchise afloat with the GBA and DS games (which I still think are very good Sonic games) while Sonic Team was fucking around with things like Shadow and '06.

AniHawk

about japanese localizations:

it's tough out there. there are really only about 4 main companies bringing over niche rpgs and they all fight for the same market (nisa, atlus, xseed, and aksys). there are even smaller ones too like gaijinworks, but it's essentially those four going at the same general market. and sometimes the best option is to do the conservative thing and just get enough to make a small profit or at least break even. if you're breaking even, then you're sticking around for at least the duration of the project (and have some cash to purchase other licenses).

if a bigger company isn't bringing out a game, there's usually a reason for them not to do it, making it even more unlikely for an even smaller group to do it. that's why you don't see xseed stepping up for dragon quest vii, or aksys jumping on valkyria chronicles iii. it's usually games from publishers without a presence in the us, hence companies like idea factory and spike chunsoft working with multiple american publishers. and then there are games from bigger companies that get passed on, like the last story and pandora's tower with nintendo. sometimes it's simply a return on investment thing.

when you see something like exstetra pop up in a release schedule (and i'm not saying it will- that's not insider stuff), it's usually to fill a hole in a release schedule. sometimes it's used to build relations with a company too.

the one thing no one's really sure about is how atlus being sega now is going to change things. the head honchos at sega sammy had been shutting down the us sega branch over the last year, and then they bought index which came with a very profitable american localization branch. if they intended to close it/merge it with the us sega branch, then it seems like they're leaving money on the table. but if they're leaving the branch open and letting them operate as they have always done, then i don't know what the point was in firing so many people from sega usa. it's a really interesting situation to keep track of, and whatever happens with atlus will have big repercussions throughout that section of the industry.

Tizoc

I'll believe it when they actually announce it. Racing Transformed was released on consoles in November last year IIRC.

Ya know, I give Dimps a lot of shit, but they did co-develop Street Fighter 4, and they will always have props for that.

They should prob. stick to just fighters then.

World 1, Act 3 of Sonic LW just made me raise an eyebrow, most of what I did in that stage was spindash and go forward.

They can't do Tales for shit, either.

Fuck this shit. I don't want to play the 3DS version of Lost World anymore. It's legitimately making me angry and snippy with people.

Play Ace Attorney 5! I don't think I've seen you post about it yet.

Village

So Sonic gaf.

So do you think the characters would be strait of the list DLC wise, there were some rumors going around about others. But many of them sounds a bit far fetched, though I wish some of them to be true. One in particular is quite interesting.

Also

Would you be interested in a sonic fighting game that played like Marvel.

Razzer

So Sonic gaf.

So do you think the characters would be strait of the list DLC wise, there were some rumors going around about others. But many of them sounds a bit far fetched, though I wish some of them to be true. One in particular is quite interesting.

Also

Would you be interested in a sonic fighting game that played like Marvel.

I wouldn't mind it. As long as it had the customisation system from Sonic Battle but refined to be more balanced, even if that meant restricting the amount of options slightly. It would be a bitch to balance but I think a genuinely competitive fighter where you could create you own moveset would be awesome. If they could get it to work of course.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #45

Song: Main Theme
Game: Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
Composer: /shrug; maybe Tokoi, since he was sound lead

There's yet another one of these out today for EuroGAF, so I thought we'd stop in at the last winter edition in tribute to the sound team that makes the series worthwhile.

Sega's got a history with this sort of grand orchestral theme dating back to at least NiGHTS, if not earlier, so they're pretty well versed in creating the air of pomp and circumstance appropriate for an Olympics game. Like everything else about this particular game, you can tell that Sega suddenly started giving a shit about the series just by virtue of how much bigger this theme is compared to the first installment's. Clocking in at 5:15, it's very nearly the series' longest song period, only losing out to the lengthiest vocal tracks and credit medleys. The slow section that constitutes the middle of the piece drags on a bit too long if you ask me, but it's lovely all the same. The leitmotif is plainly the star of the show though, as high-flying and triumphant as the core musical identity for such a game should be. Y'know, one about colorful plumbers and talking animals competing on bobsleds.

Now get out there and buy the 2014 edition. I need more of these soundtracksgames to exist.

Quackula

T&E actually has... uh... genuine fans. Some of them tends to get overly defensive when you don't like the game and just assumes you're a CoD fanboy.

Not making any of this up

I suppose everything has its share of rabid fans, even stuff that doesn't really seem like it should...

about japanese localizations:

it's tough out there. there are really only about 4 main companies bringing over niche rpgs and they all fight for the same market (nisa, atlus, xseed, and aksys). there are even smaller ones too like gaijinworks, but it's essentially those four going at the same general market. and sometimes the best option is to do the conservative thing and just get enough to make a small profit or at least break even. if you're breaking even, then you're sticking around for at least the duration of the project (and have some cash to purchase other licenses).

if a bigger company isn't bringing out a game, there's usually a reason for them not to do it, making it even more unlikely for an even smaller group to do it. that's why you don't see xseed stepping up for dragon quest vii, or aksys jumping on valkyria chronicles iii. it's usually games from publishers without a presence in the us, hence companies like idea factory and spike chunsoft working with multiple american publishers. and then there are games from bigger companies that get passed on, like the last story and pandora's tower with nintendo. sometimes it's simply a return on investment thing.

when you see something like exstetra pop up in a release schedule (and i'm not saying it will- that's not insider stuff), it's usually to fill a hole in a release schedule. sometimes it's used to build relations with a company too.

the one thing no one's really sure about is how atlus being sega now is going to change things. the head honchos at sega sammy had been shutting down the us sega branch over the last year, and then they bought index which came with a very profitable american localization branch. if they intended to close it/merge it with the us sega branch, then it seems like they're leaving money on the table. but if they're leaving the branch open and letting them operate as they have always done, then i don't know what the point was in firing so many people from sega usa. it's a really interesting situation to keep track of, and whatever happens with atlus will have big repercussions throughout that section of the industry.

Pretty interesting insights there, thanks for that. Always interested in this sort of thing.

I wonder how that's changed over the years? I feel like we didn't start seeing a lot of niche Japanese games pop up in the US until the Ps1 era, likely because of manufacturing costs getting cheaper.

You mean the same music they used for two stages in two worlds for some weird reason instead of composing world-specific music with motifs like Ohtani would probably usually do?
I'm hardly going to blame them for using reusing the same music for the exact same stage setting.
A far better point to make would be why the hell there's this water backdrop stage sitting in the depths of a volcanic world, should've just given the background a red hue going by other asset reuse.

Razzer

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #45

Song: Main Theme
Game: Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
Composer: /shrug; maybe Tokoi, since he was sound lead

This is a weird one. Such a grand piece for what is essentially a party game, even if it ties into something with a rich tradition. I'm not the best judge of orchestral music, but I will say that these softer pieces are often not my thing, so the middle section was actually quite boring to me. The other bits are alright, but it's all fancy flourishes and no melody to hold it together (which orchestras can have). Average to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom