• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hm. Lots of posts to catch up on!

Dark Schala is making sure she has no competition for the top post count and has forbidden me from posting :(

Thanks, Mom.
I just hope you're giving your eyes some rest and are at least reading or watching TV as opposed to playing something. I say this because I care, not because I want to prevent you from having fun.

Schala's just mad about God hating her yesterday by eating her peeps.
Bought some more today, so I'm good. Not the icky purple or pink ones.

Better day today, btw.

Too bad Sonic's sprite in Sonic 3 looks dumb.
I thought the 2 sprite looked better, myself (L to R; 1, 2, 3, Spinball):

da39aTm.png

New Super Bah! Bah! Brothers is better than Colors.
It feels like I'm surrounded by people who loooove these games more often now. I'm in bizarro world, obviously.

...is it terrible that I've started to read your posts in Sarah Silverman's voice now? Because I think it is. :x

But can SonicGAF agree that it was better than Sonic 2?

Because it totally was.
I feel like Sonic 2's the better game to speedrun, tbh. In my experience it is, anyway.

As an overall package, Sonic 3&K is the better game to me because of the level variety, the overall presentation, and the music (and people involved in the music). Storywise, it's the better game, primarily because it doesn't rely on overwrought cutscenes or even dialogue. It simply relies on character animations to draw its point across. It provides the player with just as much story as they need, while not making it the centerpiece of the game itself. It's something I felt that later MMX games should have learned from, and ... well, you know how much I like character animations telling the story in the first place.

So, no news on a nex-gen Sonic game? I thought there was rumor of something new for groundhog day aka hedgehog day?
That stream was really a charity stream for a 24h Puyo-Puyo marathon. I don't think they'd overshadow the original premise of that by announcing "NEW SONIC" on that. If I'd known that prior, I would've said something.

Hm. Lots of posts to catch up on!

I just hope you're giving your eyes some rest and are at least reading or watching TV as opposed to playing something. I say this because I care, not because I want to prevent you from having fun.

Bought some more today, so I'm good. Not the icky purple or pink ones.

Better day today, btw.

I thought the 2 sprite looked better, myself (L to R; 1, 2, 3, Spinball):

da39aTm.png

It feels like I'm surrounded by people who loooove these games more often now. I'm in bizarro world, obviously.

...is it terrible that I've started to read your posts in Sarah Silverman's voice now? Because I think it is. :x

I feel like Sonic 2's the better game to speedrun, tbh. In my experience it is, anyway.

As an overall package, Sonic 3&K is the better game to me because of the level variety, the overall presentation, and the music (and people involved in the music). Storywise, it's the better game, primarily because it doesn't rely on overwrought cutscenes or even dialogue. It simply relies on character animations to draw its point across. It provides the player with just as much story as they need, while not making it the centerpiece of the game itself. It's something I felt that later MMX games should have learned from, and ... well, you know how much I like character animations telling the story in the first place.

That stream was really a charity stream for a 24h Puyo-Puyo marathon. I don't think they'd overshadow the original premise of that by announcing "NEW SONIC" on that. If I'd known that prior, I would've said something.

Would you prefer us loving Bah! Bah! Brothers or the latest entry in the Lightning Waifu Fest?

And it's okay, I've started reading all my posts in Silverman's voice too. And it's hell.

I like Sonic 3's sprites rounded shoes, the way he steps off the ground, and his more defined legs(Sonic 2 sprite there looks like he's hopping, Sonic 3 sprite is running)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Would you prefer us loving Bah! Bah! Brothers or the latest entry in the Lightning Waifu Fest?

And it's okay, I've started reading all my posts in Silverman's voice too. And it's hell.
I've stopped paying a lot of attention to SE threads because they're all the same and they all end the same way. Same shit, different thread, different week. I guess Bah Bah Bros is better than Lightning Waifu Simulator. Better gameplay premise, and better definition of difficulty.

Shame Lightning Waifu Simulator will more than likely have a better soundtrack, though that isn't very hard to accomplish.

I like Sonic 3's sprites rounded shoes, the way he steps off the ground, and his more defined legs(Sonic 2 sprite there looks like he's hopping, Sonic 3 sprite is running)
I prefer the facial aesthetics, though. 3's doesn't look so great, even while running.

FLfn8cU.jpg

EDIT: Kinda want to know what Pietepiet thinks about the Sonic sprites, though.

Emitan

I'm not really in the mood to play games today anyway.

I like 3 the best but that might be because it was the only one I owned (I had the PC version of Sonic 3K because I didn't have a Genesis)

The only Sonic 3 sprite I think unfavorably to the first two is the standing pose. His hands are HUGE, and it looks like he's gained a few pounds. Maybe too many chili dogs, me thinks.

sonics_standing_b.png

My Experience with Sonic Chronicles: Part 2:

15:40 Phantom gonna start playing chronicles again
15:40 Phantom pray for me brothers
15:44 Phantom damn these enemies are dumb
15:44 Phantom what the hell is this weird splatter on the ground
15:45 Phantom these sound effects are shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
15:46 Phantom "You need at least four characters to solve this puzzle!"
15:46 Phantom ...
15:46 Phantom fuck it
15:46 Phantom im done

...yeah, I'm not touching this again.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You will love to learn Bah! Bah!
Nope. I even gave it my Crazy Bus Award for SotY, so no.

The only Sonic 3 sprite I think unfavorably to the first two is the standing pose. His hands are HUGE, and it looks like he's gained a few pounds. Maybe too many chili dogs, me thinks.

sonics_standing_b.png
Perhaps they wanted to make his hands bigger like Knuckles's, though Knuckles having bigger hands makes sense considering his design. Tails suffers from the same thing, iirc.

I'm not really in the mood to play games today anyway.
Just get some rest. And sleep early!

My Experience with Sonic Chronicles: Part 2:

...yeah, I'm not touching this again.
Chronicles isn't even that bad, though. I wouldn't put it in the kusoge category. It's just really mediocre.

...perhaps it says something about myself when I say that I've played worse RPGs than Sonic Chronicles:

Overall:
It’s definitely far from one of the best RPGs I’ve ever played (Suikoden II, Shadow Hearts, Mother 3, Persona 4, FF9, Chrono Trigger, etc), but it’s also far from the absolute worst (Tecmo Secret of the Stars, Quest 64, Lunar: Dragon Song, Ephemeral Fantasia, Beyond the Beyond, etc). It is disappointing that this isn’t exactly what I expected, but honestly, you could probably do a lot worse. It is incredibly flawed, but there’s some quality in there that makes the game somewhat entertaining. For an RPG, it feels quite short (I’ve played longer on handhelds, so this was slightly surprising).

I really enjoyed the depth BioWare gave to Sonic’s friends—they are very enjoyable in this game, both narrative-wise and battle-wise. It is probably one of the best aspects of this game. I think the game lacks balance at times, however (equipment should matter, sidequests should offer rewards based on what you’re doing, you don’t have money to equip your party well, etc).

It fits quite well in the RPG genre, but it’s middle-of-the-road as an RPG, really. However, that could be my Sonic fan bias shining through, and I’m thinking more optimistically of this game than I normally would as an objective RPG player.

Upon reflection, that post comes off as tremendously biased. I don't think it's middle-of-the-road in hindsight. I think it's a smidge below that. Games I would characterize as being middling like that are the FF13 games, for example.

qq more

Crazy Bus Award? That is wayyy too harsh! Ignoring the fact NSMB2 recycles too many songs, at least they're listenable!

I honestly think Sonic 3's is my favorite sprite. I mean, the hands/arms are a bit pudgy, I suppose, and the pupils narrower, but it is, to me, still a fine piece of art, and doesn't have that weird issue with Sonic 2's sprites where his spines become paper thin at some angles.

They're all good, though. (Except Spinball's. Blegh.)

Must have not been a fan of Magic School Bus then.
Wrong bus.

Just get some rest. And sleep early!
Is Emitan sick or something? Because, what a coincidence, I've come down with something too! Had to do two days of work from home because of it. Hacking, sniffling and groaning at sore throats abound. Fun times!

I think I'll be okay enough to go into work proper tomorrow - and that's good, because I don't really have much in the way of sick leave right now.

Sonic 3's sprite is what it is to match the more detailed zone art. Can't look at it in isolation.

That reminds me when somebody told me the checkered artwork on Green Hill Zone was to emphasize how fast you're moving.

"...I thought it was just art...*mindblown*"

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You named your Worst Soundtrack award the Crazy Bus Award? I think I'm in love
Ghost Lion Battle Theme and Stargazer Town Theme weren't witty enough in comparison!

I'm watching King of the Hill. Is that rest enough?
Yup!

Is Emitan sick or something? Because, what a coincidence, I've come down with something too! Had to do two days of work from home because of it. Hacking, sniffling and groaning at sore throats abound. Fun times!
I think everyone's starting to come down with something again. Just something I noticed the other day. I still have this horrible cough that refuses to go away. At this point, I'm sure it's because the air's dry. It'll probably go away when summer rolls around.

Sonic 3's sprite is what it is to match the more detailed zone art. Can't look at it in isolation.
That's a good point. It does go well with the BG art.

Must have not been a fan of Magic School Bus then.
You are allowed to make fun of the fact that I like K-pop.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hahahaha.

I like lots of genres of music, though. I don't stick to one exclusively. Why do you think I start talking about how soundtracks should have more genre diversity?

As long as we keep Final Fantasy music mainly instrumental, all will be well.

I cross the line at country though. I don't want to see it any videogame.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Country can be okay, though.

Especially when the songs have the bluntest of titles. (ex: "Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor On The Bedpost Overnight?")

As long as we keep Final Fantasy music mainly instrumental, all will be well.
Will never ever understand this position.

Bah bahs are kind of like lyrics!

Pietepiet

FLfn8cU.jpg

EDIT: Kinda want to know what Pietepiet thinks about the Sonic sprites, though.

Haha <3

I think the Sonic 3 one overall looks the best because it's a bit more round than the others. I have quite a soft spot for his colours in Sonic 1, though. That blue is very nice looking.

Animation-wise, Sonic 3 is the clear winner. Tails' "run" cycle is fantastic.

[EDIT] Shouldn't be a surprise by now that I think the Advance games have the best sprites in the entire series, though. The animation, colours and general pixel work on those is godlike. But I guess that's what you get when you have ex-SNK staff on board. Man, imagine if Dimps went for sprites with Sonic 4. It would've at least looked good.

Especially when the songs have the bluntest of titles. (ex: "Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor On The Bedpost Overnight?")

Will never ever understand this position.

Bah bahs are kind of like lyrics!

The best Final Fantasy soundtracks have been largely instrumental. Why fix what isn't broken?

Country does have some really blunt titles...country would be best for a really redneck NASCAR based RPG.

I must not warp this statement to my own agenda!

I remember listening to K Rose a lot in GTA San Andreas at least, but that was more for novelty value.
We need more blues clearly.

Haha <3

I think the Sonic 3 one overall looks the best because it's a bit more round than the others. I have quite a soft spot for his colours in Sonic 1, though. That blue is very nice looking.

With this support I'm now happier about the fact that unlike most here i've never had any issue with the Sonic 3 sprite.

Pietepiet

Now that we're still on sprites: the custom sprites they did for Tails in Sonic CD HD were quite nice too! I eyeballed this from a screenshot when the game came out:

Tails_CD.png

Fits really well with the rest of the game.

qq more

Now that we're still on sprites: the custom sprites they did for Tails in Sonic CD HD were quite nice too! I eyeballed this from a screenshot when the game came out:

Tails_CD.png

I really want to see a new sprite based Sonic game now :(

Sonic 4 should of have been sprite based!

TheOGB

Banned
Sprites are so lovely <3

Oh hey, I wasn't doing the 4 for February thing, but I've just beaten 2 games in the past 12 or so hours!
Now I have to beat 2 more in the next 2 days >_>

I wish I liked Sonic CD more than I did. It think between both it' US/Jap soundtracks, it has most of my top 20 songs in the series, and it's got the controls down. But goddamn, I feel like like I'm navigating levels they stitched together from 3-4 different designers' idea for the level. It is a disorienting experience.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Haha <3

[EDIT] Shouldn't be a surprise by now that I think the Advance games have the best sprites in the entire series, though. The animation, colours and general pixel work on those is godlike. But I guess that's what you get when you have ex-SNK staff on board. Man, imagine if Dimps went for sprites with Sonic 4. It would've at least looked good.
Well, you're the one I trust the most with respect to this sort of thing! I agree with respect to the blue. I think I liked it the most out of all the sprites.

I think Sonic 4, despite the gameplay/level design would have benefitted a lot from an aesthetic overhaul. If someone could remake that game and use maybe the Advance sprites, or perhaps a new sprite set, I wonder if people would be more receptive to how that game generally looks.

The best Final Fantasy soundtracks have been largely instrumental. Why fix what isn't broken?
Sorry, but this is me right now:

It saddens me.

I must not warp this statement to my own agenda!
Now I want to know what your agenda is...

Tails_CD.png

Huh, I haven't played Tails mode that often so I didn't get a good look at the sprite. It looks really good! Good colours, really like the hands, good expression, etc.

Aha, I have that Sonic sprite you made in the past saved. I thought it was really cute.

I wish I liked Sonic CD more than I did. It think between both it' US/Jap soundtracks, it has most of my top 20 songs in the series, and it's got the controls down. But goddamn, I feel like like I'm navigating levels they stitched together from 3-4 different designers' idea for the level. It is a disorienting experience.

I find the game simply okay just running through the stages, I find it baffling and poor when trying the exploration route at which point the nonsense level design takes a trip to hell and back again.
Never forget the Wacky Workbench Act 1 Generator, or trying to hold onto rings in Wacky Workbench, or just Wacky Workbench in general outside of its US soundtrack.

Now I want to know what your agenda is...
I'm sure you've already got it all figured out.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
WW JP/EU ain't bad at all, it's just that I like the US one infinitely more, as far as the recent version of the game goes I will quit out of the game mid playthrough just to switch the soundtracks upon reaching Wacky Workbench.
Actually I do the same for Collision Chaos, in that case I just really don't care much for the JP/EU one, US gets the funky percussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom