• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but this is me right now:

vXi7Qqg.gif

It saddens me.
I dunno. My faves are VI and VII, generally, and barring that opera or "One-Winged Angel", they're almost entirely instrumental.

Now that we're still on sprites: the custom sprites they did for Tails in Sonic CD HD were quite nice too! I eyeballed this from a screenshot when the game came out:

Tails_CD.png

Fits really well with the rest of the game.
I believe Chimpo from Retro made those. They're really quite well-done.

He hasn't been around lately, though... although he was always kind of an ass. Also might've been female, I never could tell.

Emitan

There's only a couple tracks I like on the OST.

Warrior Goddess
Etro's Champion
Historia Crux
Worlds Collide
Eclipse (probably my favorite)
The Last Hunter
Crazy Chocobo

I am not familiar with the OST too much because I have barely played the game but I really like New Bodham. Nice acoustic guitar and relaxing vocals.

For Schala

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Fingers-crossed for Snow Day tomorrow! (There won't be a snow day tomorrow, will there? I'm gonna have to do these exams anyway, won't I?)

I had to stop studying and putting notes together for this.

Because I couldn't comprehend this. Someone help me understand this post:
For example the music in the Mistral boss fight felt really off putting to me.

I listen to a lot of rock music and in my head I'm just thinking they could have done so much better with what we got.
This post makes no sense. It's just a string of words that seem to want to make sense.

But it doesn't.

Emitan said:
For Schala
Best redesign.

...You know, I haven't replayed Chrono Trigger in a while. I probably should at some point. Haven't done my Suikoden I/II playthroughs either.

Shadow Hog said:
I dunno. My faves are VI and VII, generally, and barring that opera or "One-Winged Angel", they're almost entirely instrumental.
I was referring to the latter bit of tigger's post.

Tizoc

Seeing as you wackos are bring up RPGs, how's the NDS RPG Sonic game...as far as RPGs go? I've been meaning to play it just to see how it is, but does it utilize the NDS' touch features for attacks? If so, how is the utilization of the feature? Weak or done well?

Sciz

Seeing as you wackos are bring up RPGs, how's the NDS RPG Sonic game...as far as RPGs go? I've been meaning to play it just to see how it is, but does it utilize the NDS' touch features for attacks? If so, how is the utilization of the feature? Weak or done well?

I hope you really, really like Elite Beat Agents.

Noi

Fingers-crossed for Snow Day tomorrow! (There won't be a snow day tomorrow, will there? I'm gonna have to do these exams anyway, won't I?)

I had to stop studying and putting notes together for this.

Because I couldn't comprehend this. Someone help me understand this post:

This post makes no sense. It's just a string of words that seem to want to make sense.

But it doesn't

As full of shit as whoever told you Rising's combat wasn't deep.

Sciz

I suck at that game sad to say, but I don't dislike EBA.

Did you like how the Touch screen implemenation was done though?

It's... adequate. Combat's repetitive as hell and getting around the overworld is clunkier than it should be. The whole game's half-baked (though as a fan of the comics, you'll probably enjoy a fair bit of the writing in the first half).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's... adequate. Combat's repetitive as hell and getting around the overworld is clunkier than it should be. The whole game's half-baked (though as a fan of the comics, you'll probably enjoy a fair bit of the writing in the first half).
Yeah, I think I'll agree that he'll get a lot out of the writing considering the tone is similar to the comics.

Maybe I should stream it for SonicGAF. I've really been wanting to replay it.
Maybe! You should be getting some rest, eh?

If I ever buy a controller, ever get the spare time, and ever learn how to stream or something (lololol that's not happening), I'll stream Suikoden, Tecmo Secret of the Stars, or Tales of Phantasia PS1 for you guys. I haven't played the PS1 version of Phantasia in years, though, and honestly, the Phantasia X version is the best version since it removes spell freeze... Dunno if I could go back to non-X versions.

Spell freeze removal actually does make a difference, believe it or not.

As full of shit as whoever told you Rising's combat wasn't deep.
KuGsj.gif

It took me a while to realize the guy was being serious. That was the moment I fell in love with the soundtrack.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I hate that I ruined my sleeping schedule

oh well
You go to bed earlier than I do. :p

I have to get up early tomorrow; earlier than normal because of the snowstorm and I can't afford to be late to an exam. I think I know my stuff this time, though. I'm ready for both exams tomorrow. I'm better at this practical stuff anyway.

Let's goooooooo.

(Snow day, please.)

Tizoc

Cool, will get around to playing the NDS Sonic eventually, I like FF9 mainly for its story and setting anyway so I'll prob. overlook the shortcomings of the gameplay when I play it heh.

Emitan

Cool, will get around to playing the NDS Sonic eventually, I like FF9 mainly for its story and setting anyway so I'll prob. overlook the shortcomings of the gameplay when I play it heh.

I don't see what that has to do with this game. oh gosh please dont play it

qq more

I never played Chronicles much and I've seen someone streaming it... I can honestly say the audio (including sound effects) is extremely grating so that completely kills the game for me.

Noi

The new Sony smash bros DLC characters make me legitimately upset. Amazing how that game went from "I'm greatly looking forward to it" to "I hope this shit does horribly" in less than a year. They should put Sonic in at this rate, he fits the loosely qualifying "has shown up in a Sony platform" requirement those characters have. :|

qq more

The new Sony smash bros DLC characters make me legitimately upset. Amazing how that game went from "I'm greatly looking forward to it" to "I hope this shit does horribly" in less than a year. They should put Sonic in at this rate, he fits the loosely qualifying "has shown up in a Sony platform" requirement those characters have. :|

Yeah the character choices feels like a big stretch. They seem to be all over the place now.

...This is why I'm really glad Smash Bros stuck with its Nintendo theme and only allowed little amount of 3rd party characters.

It really is sort of bizarre how in comparison to All-Stars Snake seems far more relevant to Nintendo than Big Daddy or Isaac do to Sony. Also the irony behind Snake being in Smash before a massive Sony cross-over.

They really should have avoided having 3rd parties in the first game all together; the collaborating companies obviously didn't think the game would do well (which... I guess is fair enough :V) and the cross-promotion didn't help PSASBR sell any better. Would've preferred more Sony-owned characters. Zeus is a good if not a tad boring start at fleshing out the Sony-owned franchises.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
No one told me that Rockman 2 Complete Works didn't come with Hard mode unlocked. Saw かんたん and ふつう in the options and I was all... this is like Tales where I have to beat the game to unlock the cool modes (ie: unlocking アンノウン in Xillia/Xillia 2, for example).

I'm done studying. I just want to play something.

Did you dislike FF9's gameplay?

The new Sony smash bros DLC characters make me legitimately upset.
Who's being added?

Edit: nvm looked 'em up. Dead Space and Zeus? Yawners. I think it goes to say that maybe a lot of people equated the PS brand with more third-party content that first party content in that that might be a reason why the game seems like such a free-for-all with respect to included characters. They really could have included some people from older games (Sony-owned, mind; they still own LoD, so I don't see why they haven't included a character from there).

Who's being added?
Zeus from God of War which is an... odd choice, but I can't fault them for fleshing out a first-party Sony franchise.

Yet more importantly Isaac Clarke from Dead Space, who like most of the other 3rd party reps are huge Sony icons who most definitely doesn't reek of desperate advertisements.

the unfinished swan and Medievil stage is legitimately cool looking though.

Is the sonic riders soundtrack any good. I hardly played it but damn, theme of babylonian by fumie K. always comes on last.fm and I think thats from sonic riders I believe. Is the whole soundtrack as good?

Tizoc

I don't see what that has to do with this game. oh gosh please dont play it

Aw what's the matter, afraid I'm gonna like it?

No one told me that Rockman 2 Complete Works didn't come with Hard mode unlocked. Saw かんたん and ふつう in the options and I was all... this is like Tales where I have to beat the game to unlock the cool modes (ie: unlocking アンノウン in Xillia/Xillia 2, for example).

I'm done studying. I just want to play something.
How about...a Sonic game!
Go get World gone sour, its $5 and is a decent 2D Platformer, you got nothing to lose~

Did you dislike FF9's gameplay?
FF9's my fav. FF, but its gameplay is basic and slow. One could list me the negatives of its battle system and gameplay, and I may agree, but its setting and music are my fav. among the FF series.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
How about...a Sonic game!
Go get World gone sour, its $5 and is a decent 2D Platformer, you got nothing to lose~
I played most of World Gone Sour a little after it came out. I found it to be a little repetitive and the bosses are a bit boring/tedious to deal with. Voiceover's good. Overall, I'm pretty indifferent to it.

As for playing a Sonic game... nah, I put my FF6 playthrough on hiatus (shame too, because I wrote a load of text for that entry I linked about cinematic game design), I've played Sonic games for a while in the last few weeks of last year. Oddly, I hadn't given Mega Man any time of day in months. I'm kinda in the mood now, and I haven't played the Complete Works versions of the games before so I might as well cash-in now. I'm not really in the mood for Sonic at the moment. I'm in the mood to discuss, but not necessarily in the mood to play.

Aha, my moonrunes aren't compatible with your browser, I guess. Shucks.

Hm. An observation, though. Roll's channelling Omochao in this version, only she doesn't really spoil the game for you.

ex: "When you defeat that enemy, the light goes out and the area goes dark. You might bump into a wall here, so try to jump to go forward!"
"There's a boss in here... It'll be tough if you don't use the right weapon!"
"This boss is quick. Isn't there a weapon that could stop his moves? When the boss hits the ground, you can attack!"
...it's really hand-holdy. It's just interesting that they added that stuff, I guess.

Also, considering I was playing a JP game before this, it feels good that I don't have to deal with the X/O stuff that drives me nuts when I play a game in English right after.

...wait, can I make this one of my 4 for Feb games since I've never played this version before? Because I'm almost finished.

FF9's my fav. FF, but its gameplay is basic and slow. You could list me the negatives of its battle system and gameplay, and I may agree, but its setting and music are my fav. among the FF series.
xIILsxe.gif

I think FFIX epitomizes what I think FF truly is and what it should aspire to be. I don't have much against it. I love the ability growth/equip, I like the battle system, I think limit breaks could have been done differently, I like the story, I like most of the cast, and I like how it looks and sounds. I dunno, it kinda feels like you think I dislike aspects of it, when I feel the complete opposite:

As I've said before, I like Final Fantasy IX because it feels like an idealized interpretation of what Final Fantasy is. The characters have their whimsical sides, but also their serious sides. All of them can be silly at times, but they all have their personal struggles to deal with. The character whom I felt exemplified this quality perfectly was Vivi. Even Steiner exemplifies this because he has to struggle between his loyalty for his monarch, his loyalty to the country, his loyalty to the princess, and his loyalty to himself. Plus his CLANKING is a lovely character quirk that I can’t get over. From the moment I started controlling him, I couldn’t help but to laugh at the constant clanking of his rusty armour. All of the characters had their certain motivations to continue the journey. I felt like the silly moments complemented the absolutely serious and dark moments of the game perfectly. I don't really like how Disc 4 goes (except for Memoria, because I thought that stuff was kind of cool), or how Disc 3 ends very much, but the rest of the game is absolutely wonderful. The score is quite excellent, and the town design is absolutely gorgeous. Dali, Lindblum, Treno, Alexandria and Black Mage Village are some of my favourite towns in gaming just because I like their designs so much, and the music used for these environments are wonderful and synch so well with the art design and NPC talk.

The PS1 FFs -- I love pre-rendered backgrounds. I’m not sure about how other people feel about them, but when I had posted some of it in this thread before (3), people seemed to really dig them. I've already expanded a little about how I felt about FFIX's setpieces; a lot of them were so colourful and very nice to look at while running around on the map (I recall Conde Petie being one of my favourites along with Terra and Esto Gaza when I first played through the game when I was a kid).

Is the sonic riders soundtrack any good. I hardly played it but damn, theme of babylonian by fumie K. always comes on last.fm and I think thats from sonic riders I believe. Is the whole soundtrack as good?
It's okay. I don't talk about it much just because I don't think it's as good as other Sonic soundtracks at all. While there's an electronic soundscape throughout the soundtrack, I just missed wide the track diversity (because there is some). I feel... like that soundtrack isn't very ideal for listening out of context, tbh.

I dunno. Try it out if you'd like. Maybe you'd like it more than I did.

Zeus from God of War which is an... odd choice, but I can't fault them for fleshing out a first-party Sony franchise.
I really feel like they should be digging deeper into their catalogue, because they do have the IPs and characters there.

Tizoc

I played most of World Gone Sour a little after it came out. I found it to be a little repetitive and the bosses are a bit boring/tedious to deal with. Voiceover's good. Overall, I'm pretty indifferent to it.

As for playing a Sonic game... nah, I put my FF6 playthrough on hiatus (shame too, because I wrote a load of text for that entry I linked about cinematic game design), I've played Sonic games for a while in the last few weeks of last year. Oddly, I hadn't given Mega Man any time of day in months. I'm kinda in the mood now, and I haven't played the Complete Works versions of the games before so I might as well cash-in now. I'm not really in the mood for Sonic at the moment. I'm in the mood to discuss, but not necessarily in the mood to play.
I'll be continuing my FFXIII playthrough in the next few days. I've got like 3 Vita games on hold that I haven't played in weeks too XP.

Aha, my moonrunes aren't compatible with your browser, I guess. Shucks.
No the only way I can access GAF is through a web translator, I've tried other options but this one works.

Hm. An observation, though. Roll's channelling Omochao in this version, only she doesn't really spoil the game for you.
Funny you bring up Omochao! If I were to make a new Sonic (Adventure) game I'd have Omochao NOT give you hints, but instead just say random stuff or stuff from his daily life or such.

ex: "When you defeat that enemy, the light goes out and the area goes dark. You might bump into a wall here, so try to jump to go forward!"
"There's a boss in here... It'll be tough if you don't use the right weapon!"
"This boss is quick. Isn't there a weapon that could stop his moves? When the boss hits the ground, you can attack!"
...it's really hand-holdy. It's just interesting that they added that stuff, I guess.
Based off Airman ga Tousenai...Japanese kids must've really sucked in Rockman games...

...wait, can I make this one of my 4 for Feb games since I've never played this version before? Because I'm almost finished.
It's among your backlog, you own the game, so yeah it should count.

xIILsxe.gif

I think FFIX epitomizes what I think FF truly is and what it should aspire to be. I don't have much against it. I love the ability growth/equip, I like the battle system, I think limit breaks could have been done differently, I like the story, I like most of the cast, and I like how it looks and sounds. I dunno, it kinda feels like you think I dislike aspects of it, when I feel the complete opposite:
Ack sorry that was a typo from my end! I was not directing it to you, nor was I implying or criticizing what you liked or disliked about it. I fixed my post, what I meant is if someone pointed out the cons of the gameplay or the game I may agree with them on itor some of it at least.

Noi

I really feel like they should be digging deeper into their catalogue, because they do have the IPs and characters there.

They really do. It saddens me that they'll pick a character that literally every video game ever made could have over an actually original character (any Ratchet and Clank villain would have worked fine). Does anyone even care about a God of War character other than Kratos? I tolerated Emmet in the first DLC because he was at least a 1st party IP, but Isaac? C'mooooon. He doesn't even bring anything new to the table, he's another regular ass dude who does melee up close and fires guns from mid-range.

I don't even mind that it has third parties, it's that there's only a single one that you can actually say is a Sony Legacy character (Heihachi). You have to make huge leaps of logic to tie the other characters down. If they couldn't manage to get any of the elusive characters like Cloud, Crash, Snake, etc, they should have just gone all 1st party (though they'd likely screw that up too by including another version of Kratos or some shit instead of more characters).

I hate that I ruined my sleeping schedule

oh well

Welcome to my world, though for me it's more of an impossibility to actually get up in the morning.

Issac Clarke? that's pretty hilarious in an unfortunate way. Though I will say it's nice to see them still supporting the game with more DLC.
Plus adding a villain is one step closer to playable Nefarious, believe!

BHZ Mayor

They really do. It saddens me that they'll pick a character that literally every video game ever made could have over an actually original character (any Ratchet and Clank villain would have worked fine). Does anyone even care about a God of War character other than Kratos? I tolerated Emmet in the first DLC because he was at least a 1st party IP, but Isaac? C'mooooon. He doesn't even bring anything new to the table, he's another regular ass dude who does melee up close and fires guns from mid-range.

I don't even mind that it has third parties, it's that there's only a single one that you can actually say is a Sony Legacy character (Heihachi). You have to make huge leaps of logic to tie the other characters down. If they couldn't manage to get any of the elusive characters like Cloud, Crash, Snake, etc, they should have just gone all 1st party (though they'd likely screw that up too by including another version of Kratos or some shit instead of more characters).

I still think it's stupid that they used a character from a game that started out as a 360 exclusive (Big Daddy). And before anyone brings up Sonic in Brawl, that still makes more sense because of the mascot rivalry. Big Daddy doesn't even have that.

Quackula

FF9's story kinda unravels into a bunch of incoherent nonsense by the time you hit disc 3 or so.

The thing barely runs on the Ps1 too.

It's a good game though. I'm happy to revisit it.

My sleeping pattern is pretty out of whack, too. Try being a part time caretaker for a relative with Dementia/Alzheimer's (who quite frankly, wasn't wrapped too tight to begin with) who likes to start screaming at the top of their lungs at 3:30 in the morning for no apparent reason. That can definitely screw with one's sleeping pattern.

Sorry, just venting. It's been a rough week.

On the subject of FFIX, I like it, I just wish the ATB meters weren't so slow for whatever reason. Even with Haste, it still takes forever to fill up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom