• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nert

oh god why

who gave the ok for this

seriously who

this is the worst thing

i'd take sonic 4's dying cats and dying ducks over this any day

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

oh my god why do they keep using the same music for these games

If you're voting for NSMB2's OST for SotY, give an excellent reason. Because... good god...

If anyone votes for either game, part of me will be tempted to just bar that person from ever participating again : /

Teknoman

Wait... Robotnik is playable?! OH SHITTTTT

Was this in the original or is this a new feature?!

Return of Dr. Robotonic :p

Oh and I recently ended up snagging a Game Gear with Sonic 2. Surprised that the system works great and has no sound problems whatsoever. Would Sonic 1, Chaos, and Triple Trouble be worth tracking down? Also I had no idea that the GG was region free...so would the JP games actually be cheaper/more abundant than NA?

qq more

http://www.tssznews.com/2012/10/17/sonic-jump-hacked-secret-characters-revealed/

Well that was fast... gotta say, those sprites actually look really good; I like the art direction for this game:
http://info.sonicretro.org/File:Sonic-jump-image04.png

Dunno about everyone but I like the original game's art direction more (and by that I mean dislike it less). The remake's art is much more soulless and looks like a generic crappy boring flash game.

It definitely looks better than Sonic 4 Ep 1 though... but not by much.

Anthony is talking to me beyond the grave on Twitter. He is mostly shocked that I've never played RE4...ever.
While most people are ignoring this in favour of celebrating the release of what I imagine to be a half baked shoddy fighter I am still vigilant enough to shame the hell out of you.
I'm shocked AND appalled.

If anyone votes for either game, part of me will be tempted to just bar that person from ever participating again : /
Oh yeah, episode 2 was this year as well, it can be my second choice after NSMB2!
I'm just joking Nert, don't bar me.

I grew up with the Saturn version of VF2. It's... good, I suppose, but I never really felt like I could do any better than simply mashing buttons. Particularly when the FAQs get into how certain moves work better depending on what foot is in front - you mean I have to pay attention to really tiny details to get anywhere in this game? (Well, beyond fighting low-level AIs, anyway.)

Much prefer Street Fighter, honestly.

Virtua Striker does nothing for me, and never played Fighting Vipers or Virtual-On, so...

I never liked any of the Game Gear Sonics. They weren't awful, but they were kind of boring and nowhere near as polished or fun to play as the Genesis games were.

Though I have recently developed a new found appreciation for Sonic Chaos.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I never owned a Master System (I really want one someday though) but man the resolution makes a difference for sure!

Sonic 2 is almost unplayable on GG due to the tiny screen, but it's pretty good on Master System. But Jesus that final boss is a pain in the arse, and far harder than any of the final bosses in the 16-bit games.

Actually, once I figured out how to get the level select working on the GG version, I found Sonic 2's final boss pretty damn easy. As long as you play extremely conservatively, staying in the pipes for most of the time and only popping out to hit Eggman once in a while, I recall the spiraling energy balls he shoots out not being that hard to contend with (particularly if you get over them while they're still fairly freshly-shot, and as such aren't moving so wildly).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I love Triple Trouble.

When I was little I borrowed it from my cousin for months and months and then I had to give it back. I was so sad. Then a few years ago (man, I can't remember if I was in uni yet or not) I found a copy for $15! Yaaaaaay! Someone post that Sunset Park Act 3 remix cuz I can't find the link.

My cousin gave me his copy of Sonic Chaos when he was getting rid of his Game Gear stuff. He didn't like it, but I liked it a lot.

Nert said:
Someone reading this thread probably would for the laughs.

Teknoman said:
Also I had no idea that the GG was region free...so would the JP games actually be cheaper/more abundant than NA?
There are definitely more JP games than NA games for the Game Gear, or at least, more that I'd play--tons of RPGs we didn't get. I should probably pick some up myself now that I think about it.

Well, she conforms to the typical Sonic formula of females actually being modestly-covered despite the males being naked barring gloves/shoes now, I guess.

Tizoc

Oh and an upcoming issue seems to be based on the Olympics game but I don't think Mario may cameo or appear in it ATM.
Still the All-Stars Transformed one-shot was really fun so I expect this oen to be good too.

Gotta admit, it really looks like it'd fit in perfectly in an official mainline Sonic game. Was the redesign entirely done by the artists at Archie, or did Sega have a say in the matter?

TheOGB

Banned
I can't wait to slap the shit out of people again when Sonic the Fighters gets released. My friend and I played the hell out of that when he had Gems Collection.

Now it's only a matter of time until Battle gets revisited. (Or at least, I'd like to think so :p)

Frankly, I'm just kinda looking forward to a copy of Sonic the Fighters with a movelist I can actually read. I own the Japanese version of Gems, which, ignoring that it doesn't run on my Wii thanks to Nintendo for disabling GC Action Replays on it :)(), had a movelist full of mojibake due to me running it on a US GC (I think? Either that or it was before I could read katakana/hiragana, so it was unintelligible to me).

Teknoman

if i find a master system at a thrift store or pawn shop, but. dunno if i would actively seek one out. There really arent that many games i would want to play...at least i dont think there are...

Combichristoffersen

if i find a master system at a thrift store or pawn shop, but. dunno if i would actively seek one out. There really arent that many games i would want to play...at least i dont think there are...

I grew up with a Master System, and although I still love the console for all the hours of fun it gave me, there admittedly aren't a whole lot of classics/'must play' games for the system. I'd definitely recommend the Sonic games, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Castle of Illusion, Lucky Dime Caper and OutRun though.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Alex Kidd in Shinobi World.
Golden Axe Warrior (like Legend of Zelda 1, but better)
Wonder Boy games.
Phantasy Star if you like old school RPGs.
Captain Silver.
Ninja Gaiden.
Zillion.

Those are worth it as well.

Seconding the two Illusion games (Castle & Land, can't remember if Legend of Illusion got a Master System release) and Lucky Dime Caper. I recall Deep Duck Trouble being pretty good, too.

Combichristoffersen

Seconding the two Illusion games (Castle & Land, can't remember if Legend of Illusion got a Master System release) and Lucky Dime Caper. I recall Deep Duck Trouble being pretty good, too.

Legend of Illusion got a Master System port in Brazil. As for Deep Duck Trouble, I've only played the first level, but I wasn't a fan of how they took away Donald's ability to use weapons like in Lucky Dime Caper, and left him with kicking as his only attack (at least I think you could only use kicking as an attack, besides the chili peppers).

If you have a Model 1 Genesis and didn't put a 32X in it, you could always pick up a Power Base Converter for, like, $20-30 off of eBay. I'm considering doing that one of these days, just so I can replay Land of Illusion without breaking out the Game Gear - really enjoyed that game (it was one of the first two games I got for it, and aside from Baku Baku, it's the only non-Sonic game I have for it). Only thing is, beyond the various Disney Master System games, and maybe a few of the Sonic ports, not sure what exactly I'd go for on there - hence why I haven't bought one yet.

Incidentally, if you're European, there's a Model 2 Mega Drive version available as well. No idea if it works in a Model 2 Genesis, though. Doesn't work with card-based games, also, just cartridges.

Also, you can pretend you're Luke Skywalker. "But I was going into Tosche Station to pick up a Power Base Converter!"

qq more

Sonic The Fighters:
Sonic
Tails
Knuckles
Amy
Bark
Bean
Nack/Fang
Espio
Honey
Metal Sonic
Robotnik

Sonic Battle:
Sonic
Tails
Knuckles
Amy
E-102
Shadow
Rouge
Cream
Chaos
Emerl

StF has the superior roster B)

qq more

I remember making Emerl very broken.

I never played too much of StF but I've enjoyed it far more than Battle because Battle was just... really annoying.

Nert

So, random question time. What is everyone's favorite platformer from this year so far? It's been a dry spell for the genre, in my opinion, but Dustforce is pretty good.

Since I'm still getting used to actively anticipating new Sonic games (Sonic Colors is less than two years old), I have to admit that it is a strange sensation to really feel the absence of a mainline console Sonic title this year.

Honestly? I have no idea. The only one I've played this year is NSMB2, and I don't really like the game at all.

Last year, I probably would have said Generations HD or Mario 3D Land, though.

Mighty Switch Force came out RIGHT at the end of last year, and is getting an HD release on Wii U...

But now the question is: who is more broken?

CPU characters aside like Metal Sonic (although I was alarmed at how much life one of his attacks took off in the Model 2 trailer), I really hated Bark. He's ridiculously powerful, not slow enough to offset that, wails the crap out of characters, he can even flatten them and make them less able to fight.

The Barrier system was also interesting, but hard to get a handle on. It's been a while, but if I remember right, you could be holding down block through one attack, and if it was the wrong attack it'd tear through tons of your Barriers, possibly leaving you unable to block or go Super after that. When you were first learning, it was hard to know what attacks would be stopped by barriers, and which ones would just shatter them like nothing.

So, random question time. What is everyone's favorite platformer from this year so far? It's been a dry spell for the genre, in my opinion, but Dustforce is pretty good.

Since I'm still getting used to actively anticipating new Sonic games (Sonic Colors is less than two years old), I have to admit that it is a strange sensation to really feel the absence of a mainline console Sonic title this year.
I've had my eye on dust force, I should really just hurry up and get a controller for this laptop, i'm missing out on too much good stuff.

Just barely!

I guess one could say Fez, but... not really.

There's got to be something that I'm missing.

BAH BAH and DYING DUCKS, jeez you guys, we only mentioned them yesterday.

Fez is interesting though platforming isn't its main attraction but I really enjoyed just discovering the world and there was the odd moment of inspired platforming via screen spinning. I'm still unsure on how I felt about that game on the whole, I either really liked it or felt it was too puzzling for its own good.

I guess Dust had the odd platforming moment but i'm really stretching things at this point.

But to be safe and boring my favourite platformer I played this year so far is NSMB2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom