• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not even true, that game's soundtrack is a fucking snooze

I would kind of agree with you - a lot of Sonic 2006's OST really isn't that good, especially for its most iconic levels (I really didn't like the music for Crisis City, but it grew on me over time).

But!

Wave Ocean - The Inlet and Radical Train - The Chase are incredibly energetic songs and are definitely up there in the rankings for some of my favorite songs in the Sonic franchise.

TheOGB

Banned
The music in 06 was good, and fitting -- it was pretty bland. Again, still good, but not the off-the-fucking-wall awesomeness that has become synonymous with the series. Did nothing to help the blandness of the look of the whole game.

Sciz

I loved 06's music when it came out, then cooled on it a bit when Unleashed released. Over time I've started appreciating it for what it is, and I'm back to loving it again. It's not the most melodic OST in the series, but unlike SA2 or Heroes, it's the careful work of composers who knew exactly what they wanted instead of the merely half-baked tunes written by a certain someone else. It's a definite change of pace from the rest of the series, but it was the appropriate music for the game it was written for.

Probably the biggest difference is that while most music in the series takes off from the word go, 06's music is rarely immediately gratifying because it always builds up to something. People like to mention Wave Ocean or Radical Train or Solaris Phase 2, but everything in the game follows the same basic pattern, just at different speeds. The effect of this is that it does a spectacular job of creating an atmosphere and telling small stories in musical form.

Dusty Desert ~ The Ruins
The journey of a caravan over harsh and unforgiving lands, a scout followed by his people.

White Acropolis ~ The Base
Suspense. Danger. Robotic assault across a frozen waste. A glimmer of hope in the face of extreme odds.

Aquatic Base ~ Level 1
The slow and steady unraveling of a mystery.

Mephiles Phase 2
Chaos. Madness. Evil.

It's a more somber, more intricate entry in the series' musical history, but it's hardly boring or without merit.

I always liked "White Acropolis - Snowy Peak", myself.

I my initial thoughts of 2K6's soundtrack were basically: "Hey, this sounds like the music from Unreal Tournament 2004." I still stand by that remark, a lot of the music in the game would fit in remarkably well with the rest of the tracks from Epic's tournament shooter - some better than others (Wave Ocean would be a bit out of place, while the boss fights with Eggman would fit in perfectly). Granted, 2K6's music wasn't composed by Alexander Brandon all of a sudden or anything, but still, the feel's right.

Tizoc

From playing Sonic Adventure 2, IMO it has some nice ideas and concepts but the execution leaves much to be desired.

Also I find the Werehog's brawler-like combat to work with Knuckles if he were to be included in a future 3D Sonic game.

http://www.tssznews.com/2012/10/17/sonic-jump-hacked-secret-characters-revealed/

Well that was fast... gotta say, those sprites actually look really good; I like the art direction for this game:

hdplayersonic.png

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Outside of the soundtrack Bioware decided to half-ass because they didn't have a Plan B, Sonic soundtracks are generally quite excellent.

I pray that we don't get BAH BAHs one day because good loooooord Mario can do better than that, man.

Speaking of SatBK I'll post the instrumental of It Doesn't Matter now.

qq more

I know, but the music in Sonic games is the only consistent thing about this series.

Even the music in Secret Rings and the Black Knight was good imo.

Except for Seven Rings in Hand. Oh god they overused that song so much I can't stand it anymore.

AND WHY DID IT BECAME THE CREDITS THEME FOR SONIC IN BRAWL

FUCK

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
And we reached a zenith this year, truly a glorious occasion.

WHY DO I ACTUALLY ENJOY IT?!
oh god why

who gave the ok for this

seriously who

this is the worst thing

i'd take sonic 4's dying cats and dying ducks over this any day

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

oh my god why do they keep using the same music for these games

If you're voting for NSMB2's OST for SotY, give an excellent reason. Because... good god...

qq more

I swear to god, I think Nintendo is doing this on purpose now. It's better than Chronicles and Sonic 4 Ep 1 at least!

EDIT: @Green Scar: Man, why did they delayed Community? :(

Just for you Schala here's an exclusive sneak peak at my Soty write up.

The masterminds at Nintendo managed to take an old soundtrack from the 2009 soundtrack tour de force NSMBWii and make it all new again, tweaks in the music such as added BAHS in the ghost houses and castles, the extra backing beat given by the raccoon tail and an athletic theme filled to the brim with a non stop aural chorus that wisks one above the clouds as the levels suggest make this a fantastic redux of everyone's most beloved Mario themes. New themes exist as well like two map themes so captivating I would take hours to finally move onto the next stage.
Where Sonic Generations floundered last year with drab remixes of the so called classic themes Mario has truly delivered, it's just a shame that all those damn coins keep obscuring the sublime soundtrack within!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Just for you Schala here's an exclusive sneak peak at my Soty write up.

The masterminds at Nintendo managed to take an old soundtrack from the 2009 soundtrack tour de force NSMBWii and make it all new again, tweaks in the music such as added BAHS in the ghost houses and castles, the extra backing beat given by the raccoon tail and an athletic theme filled to the brim with a non stop aural chorus that wisks one above the clouds as the levels suggest make this a fantastic redux of everyone's most beloved Mario themes. New themes exist as well like two map themes so captivating I would take hours to finally move onto the next stage.
Where Sonic Generations floundered last year with drab remixes of the so called classic themes Mario has truly delivered, it's just a shame that all those damn coins keep obscuring the sublime soundtrack within!
I don't want to listen to this soundtrack anymore. I was going to for the sake of giving it a fair chance, but no... I can't take this.

Why did they reuse the same music? That sucks.

lol, I can see parents going berserk with the coin noise. Possibly the BAH BAHs as well. >.>

I don't want to listen to this soundtrack anymore. I was going to for the sake of giving it a fair chance, but no... I can't take this.

Why did they reuse the same music? That sucks.

lol, I can see parents going berserk with the coin noise. Possibly the BAH BAHs as well. >.>

It is like literally the same soundtrack with the most minor of modifications so if you played Wii you already heard it all.
Similar to Sonic 4 I don't think the actual melodies are the problem, just the piss poor samples used that undermine anything good.

That NSMB2 music is awful. If I have to hear that Bah Bah! again, so help me.

The best Mario tracks are instrumental, why mess with a good thing?

Honestly, I was concerned that Mario music was getting too goofy as early as Double Dash with its ever-present dumb whistling. New Super Mario Bros.'s "BAAAH"s just seems like the next step for that.

Of course, we got Super Mario Galaxy's epic orchestral soundtracks to nip that in the bud. Also, Mario Kart smartly toned down usage of the whistle for DS and 7 (not sure about Wii). It's a mystery as to why the New Super Mario Bros. line continues to have shitty music when the other Mario games are seriously outdoing it.

Oh man you're hating on the whistling? that was like the only worthwhile thing from the drab DD soundtrack.
I can't abide this whistle hating heresy, i'm going to bed.

Before I depart I feel this is mandatory seeing the direction we've gone in, hate this and I am disappointed.
Actually NSMB2 did revisit the NSMBwii credits theme in that same style, it and the title screen them sound noticeably higher quality than the rest of the soundtrack, odd, maybe the wafer thin music budget for the game was used up by those two alone.

Bonus gibberish voice music

Whistling evolved into Bah Bah!

Just like Sky Canyon evolved into Altitude Limit or the mediocre or bad 3D Sonic games evolving into Sonic 2006.

As it's been pointed out in the Gaming Thread as well, it's not only going to include online play, but you see playable versions of Honey (with her eye bug and I presume other bugs fixed), Metal Sonic and Eggman.

It would be nice if they included the options in the Gems Collection version, as well, but I'm just shocked they actually added Honey and Co.

New feature, pretty
Wait... Robotnik is playable?! OH SHITTTTT

Was this in the original or is this a new feature?!

New feature. Pretty sure Metal Sonic and Robotnik could only be used if you hacked the game (Or used an Action Replay on the Gems Collection version) Nice of them to formally add them (and Honey, that's kind of a surprise.) as playable characters.

I doubt it'll happen, but it'd be nice if they toned them down a bit. Metal Sonic in particular is pretty overpowered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom