• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

qq more

People haven't come to expect any kind of story from Mario platformers, and the few times the games offered it (such as Mario Galaxy 1), it was small enough that it kept itself consistent with the rest of the Mario platformers.

Going from the past decade of Sonic games with their own fully blown "continuity" and characters with story arcs to something like Generations is not only jarring but disappointing to those that did like the idea of Sonic games having it.

Mario fans don't have to expect squat from story with NSMBU, no one has any reason to expect it. Sonic fans, however, had every reason to expect something story-wise out of something as big as Generations, and they got squat.
This is ridiculous because the continuity is fucking garbage to begin with. Who the hell plays Sonic for the story aside from fanfic writers?

And just because they did story in the previous Sonic games does not mean they should continue doing that. It's like saying "Man, less alt gameplays in this game? What a let down!"

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
For someone like me, whose favourite Sonic video game story is still Sonic 3 and Knuckles (taking place over two days with Knuckles after Sonic's), it was great to go back to simple presentation to fit my Mega Drive nostalgia.
Not to mention that the majority of the storytelling in Sonic 3&K was done through character animations.

Hell, Sonic 1 implicitly tells you that the course of the game happens in a day.

That's only one of the things I love about older games, no matter the genre. The animations and sprite movements told all of the story for you. You didn't need a deep story or a long segment of dialogue to express what you truly mean. Expressions and animations can speak volumes. I guess that's kind of why I don't really mind silent protags; sometimes I find it preferable depending on the game as long as the animations are nailed down.

[Schala goes on to complain about the current state of RPG and video game storytelling for the nth time "And what's the deal with the poor character animations?"]

TheOGB

Banned
I can agree that Generations was a missed opportunity on the character interactions front. The way I see it, the story itself is just a vehicle for the growth of the characters. Bring the characters to life; that doesn't mean they all have to be "deep" and troubled, or whatnot, just flesh them out. Make them interesting, separate entities. The way they react to each other, the world around them, and the events that transpire, that's what makes a story interesting to me.

Call it a hunch, but I get the feeling there are going to be some people who are not happy with what I have to say in my Sonic Adventure 2 review for TSSZ.

http://www.tssznews.com/2012/10/14/review-sonic-adventure-2-xbox-live-arcade/
May as well whore out the Sonic Retro review in here as well: http://www.sonicretro.org/2012/10/sonic-adventure-2-xblapsn-the-retro-review/
5P9rV.gif

Sonic Adventure 2 is at its best when you play at a friend's house after they've beaten it.

fake edit: oh god I forgot about NIDS

what the actual fuck is/was wrong with you Sega

I sorta did given that they made a big deal outta the fact that the people who wrote Colours wrote Generations. But that was more along the lines of better dialogue.

Oh, here's the Sonic Colours mk2 page: http://wiimk2.net/title.php?title=792 (11 reviews)
Reviews were unsurprisingly extremely favourable.
- recycled bosses
- wanted a cool vocal song during final boss
- story had little weight; story was flimsy; wanted dramatic story
- plz play with GCN configuration (well, I'd say that too)
- Lots of comparisons to Sonic World Adventure but that's a given
- Sonic's character has changed a little; Tails is too much of an adult.
- Theme park setting is disappointing compared to Unleashed's setting
- was there an issue with the ranking / wi-fi in this game? I see people bringing it up a lot
- no outstanding BGM; want more vocal music
- wanted a serious story, less jokes
- Maybe it's because they hired an American writer, but Sonic's a little too funny (this was cited as a negative)
- story was short

Hmmm... you know what? If Sega takes all of this stuff into consideration, I wouldn't be surprised if the next game we got is Sonic Adventure 3. It's kinda clear that JP players a serious as heck story.

Edit: heh, they seem to love Secret Rings: http://wiimk2.net/title.php?title=232
Oh dear god, what are they doing?!

Hm. I'll go through some of the GOOD! points for Sonic 2006
-Music is very catchy
-like that you could see 3 perspectives of the story with Shadow, Sonic and Silver
-Sonic's spines look nice? wat
-Enemy design is cool
-Story's pretty good
-Playing with Silver is exhilarating? Psychokinesis, which wasn't in the series before, is neat because you can hit enemies with objects? GAF...
-Story's quite likeable
-"Shadow can ride in vehicles"
-THERE IS A TOWN
-Story entwined with a human, finally
-3-person story with Sonic, Shadow, and Silver makes it a different action game [depending on the character you choose]
-the cinematics were good??

gaf im dying
JA094.gif

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
People haven't come to expect any kind of story from Mario platformers, and the few times the games offered it (such as Mario Galaxy 1), it was small enough that it kept itself consistent with the rest of the Mario platformers.

Going from the past decade of Sonic games with their own fully blown "continuity" and characters with story arcs to something like Generations is not only jarring but disappointing to those that did like the idea of Sonic games having it.

Mario fans don't have to expect squat from story with NSMBU, no one has any reason to expect it. Sonic fans, however, had every reason to expect something story-wise out of something as big as Generations, and they got squat.

And people still complained about Galaxy having 'too much story'. Neither Mario nor Sonic needs more story than Bowser has kidnapped the princess/Robotnik has stolen the chaos emeralds.

And people still complained about Galaxy having 'too much story'. Neither Mario nor Sonic needs more story than Bowser has kidnapped the princess/Robotnik has stolen the chaos emeralds.

Galaxy's problem was that the dialog wasn't skippable. I'll take as much story as they want to give if I can press a button to skip straight to gameplay.

Nert

(Super Mario Galaxy spoilers below, in case anyone actually cares)

I actually thought that the story in Super Mario Galaxy was really clever. The Lumas sacrificing themselves was unexpectedly poignant for me, and seeing them all rush into the void served as a reminder of just how many of them you had found throughout the game. I also love the idea of the galaxy resetting itself and Mario and Bowser being sort of destined to keep doing... whatever it is that they're doing... again and again. And yeah, the Rosalina side story was well done too.

On the other hand, I'm thoroughly tired of the princess getting kidnapped angle, to the point where the 2 minutes or so of time that it takes up (boo unskippable text) has become grating. It's just so perfunctory and *boring*. I wish they would at least come up with funnier ways for her to be kidnapped if it has to happen in every game.

[Schala goes on to complain about the current state of RPG and video game storytelling for the nth time "And what's the deal with the poor character animations?"]

I've been pleasantly surprised with storytelling in games lately, actually. Ghost Trick and Botanicula do a lot of wonderful storytelling through expressive animations and bizarre sound effects, for example. Then you have innovative things like Bastion's narration system and Journey's storytelling through environmental design and mechanics instead of words. I do agree that most higher budget games could benefit from a "less is more" approach.

This is ridiculous because the continuity is fucking garbage to begin with. Who the hell plays Sonic for the story aside from fanfic writers?

And just because they did story in the previous Sonic games does not mean they should continue doing that. It's like saying "Man, less alt gameplays in this game? What a let down!"

I'm baffled by what some Sonic fans seem to want out of the series. The storylines, friends and filler have actively pushed me away from past titles, yet there seems to be no shortage of people that crave it.

I thought not making Classic Sonic talk was the right choice, but the problem was, Sega did what they did during Night of the Werehog a bit (or rather, whoever handled the animation and plotting for that), they made it like he WANTS to talk, or SHOULD talk, but can't. Like there are clear reaction shots where he's trying to express something, instead of just playing things smoothly off.

He should've been a little wildcard, not sticking around for explanations, maybe doing other things while Sonic and Tails yak away. But eh. At least the animation and modeling work was godly.

Edit: Actually, I could swear there was a cutscene in a trailer that seems like it was supposed to have been used in the game, but it was only used for the idle title screen video instead.

There were a couple bits of CG that didn't actually appear in the game, but looked like they should, which was strange. (The E3 City Escape trailer, the 2 Sonics one with Rooftop Run, and especially the shot of the 2 Sonics and 2 Tails in Green Hill in the "Bosses & Rivals" trailer, I remember that shot being featured on the official website at one point.)

The existing FMV in Generations was heavily compressed and apparently pushing the disc limits on the 360, IIRC, and let's face it, the realtime cinemas outside of boss battles tended to be really simple and a bit lame, mostly talking head stuff. Maybe they hacked out some of the FMV and put in real-time cinemas late in development?

Then again, maybe they put together those other scenes just for the commercials and trailers, but considering how little it was used, seems like a waste.

Pietepiet

Yeah, I was really hoping for those FMVs to appear in the game, and then some. Unleashed had some fantastic cinematics, like the opening, that Generations really lacked.

Seems like more of the newer fans raised on the Adventure series, 2006 (Rest their souls) and such are the ones who are hard up for engrossing stories in Sonic. Or perhaps it's the hardcore SaTam fans. I don't see the need for a story in Sonic...like others said, it doesn't need it...maybe they want a Sonic visual novel?

WillyFive

It's like saying "Man, less alt gameplays in this game? What a let down!"

What? Why shouldn't people complain that there are less alt gameplay in a game nowadays? What makes that argument a sarcastic one? More variety is better; imagine not being able to use the Chao on the Adventure games, or ride the plane/skateboard in the Genesis games. Even Mario games benefit from alternate forms of gameplay, which made the first Mario Galaxy so rich of content.

Not that I agree that Sonic needs more form of alt gameplay, but why would you actively push against it? We should be asking yes, more please. It's perplexing and frustrating how Sonic fans here keep asking for less and less out of their games, at the expense of everyone else.

qq more

What? Why shouldn't people complain that there are less alt gameplay in a game nowadays? What makes that argument a sarcastic one?

More variety is better.
That's not ALWAYS the case and to be quite frank, SEGA is god awful at it. Seriously, look at Sonic Unleashed. TOO MUCH WEREHOG

imagine not being able to use the Chao on the Adventure games
Awesome, barely a few sentences into the post and you're already reaching there. Chao is not alt gameplay, it's a side game that's optional (except for 100%ing the game). Totally a different case, dude.

ride the plane/skateboard in the Genesis games.
I'm not really a fan of Sky Chase in Sonic 2. Also, I don't recall skateboarding in any of the Genesis games. Are you talking about the snowboarding in Ice Cap Zone? That's a level gimmick that lasted not even a minute. Nice try.

Even Mario games benefit from alternate forms of gameplay, which made the first Mario Galaxy so rich of content.
They weren't even the majority of the content. You can't say the same to the shooting/emerald hunting/werehog/etc. Mario did it right, Sonic did not.

Not that I agree that Sonic needs more form of alt gameplay, but why would you actively push against it?
I'm only against the idea of alt gameplay dominating a lot of the game's content. I'll be okay with 1-3 levels of alt gameplay (or hell, make them side missions!), but the game should at least mostly be normal Sonic-esque gameplay.

We should be asking yes, more please.
Okay, you've just said Sonic doesn't need alt gameplay and now you say we SHOULD ask for more? Make up your mind.

t's perplexing and frustrating how Sonic fans here keep asking for less and less out of their games, at the expense of everyone else.
It's perplexing that people plays Sonic for the story and defend overused alt gameplay. Quality over quantity.

RagnarokX

What? Why shouldn't people complain that there are less alt gameplay in a game nowadays? What makes that argument a sarcastic one? More variety is better; imagine not being able to use the Chao on the Adventure games, or ride the plane/skateboard in the Genesis games. Even Mario games benefit from alternate forms of gameplay, which made the first Mario Galaxy so rich of content.

Not that I agree that Sonic needs more form of alt gameplay, but why would you actively push against it? We should be asking yes, more please. It's perplexing and frustrating how Sonic fans here keep asking for less and less out of their games, at the expense of everyone else.

Characters that play through the exact same levels with similar abilities as well as their own special abilities that allow them to access paths that other characters cannot are fine. But Sega has for almost 2 decades either given each character their own levels entirely because their gameplay differs so much from Sonic or the character abilities don't really matter because the level design sucks. People don't want crap like Knuckles' treasure hunts, Tails in a tank, Big fishing levels.

Sky Chase Zone was novel, but it's one of my least favorite Sonic levels. It's slow and boring. The snowboard was a short segment at the start of 1 level. At least he didn't pull the snowboard out of his ass like he does in Sonic 4 Ep 2.

WillyFive

That's not ALWAYS the case and to be quite frank, SEGA is god awful at it. Seriously, look at Sonic Unleashed. TOO MUCH WEREHOG

The problem with the Werehog was not that it was a werehog, but that it was poor gameplay. Polish and more development time would have fixed that.

Sega is bad at making their ideas a reality when they have to meet a deadline. Having them stop making ideas because they are bad at implementing them is a bad solution to the problem.

Awesome, barely a few sentences into the post and you're already reaching there. Chao is not alt gameplay, it's a side game that's optional (except for 100%ing the game). Totally a different case, dude.

So you only want to talk about the stuff required to get to the end credits? That seems pretty arbitrary, even Mario games don't make things just for the end credits; in fact, almost half of the content of the 3D Mario games is unnecessary to reach the end credits.

The Chao games are still gameplay.

Sky Chase was BORING. Also, I don't recall skateboarding in any of the Genesis games. Are you talking about the snowboarding in Ice Cap Zone? That's a level gimmick that lasted not even a minute. Nice try.

You mean something from 1993 is less elaborate than something made over a decade later? I expect things to improve and grow over time, not be stagnant to early 90's standards.

They weren't evem the majority of the content. You can't say the same to the shooting/emerald hunting/werehog/etc.

Sonic Adventure 2 was all about having those three types of gameplay, and Sonic Unleashed was about having the duality of the werehog and the running stages. They would logically all have gotten sizable parts of the game, and they did; much in the same way the majority of the Mario Galaxy games was about traversing different planetoids, and a sizable segment of Mario Sunshine was about cleaning the goo from the environment.

A game does exactly what it says on the box, gee what a problem.

I'm only against the idea of alt gameplay dominating a lot of the game's content. I'll be okay with 1-3 levels of alt gameplay (or hell, make them side missions!).

Oh.

Well, then since that's your honest opinion with the games; I guess this conversation can't go much further than "I don't see that as a problem."

Okay, you've just said Sonic doesn't need alt gameplay and now you say we SHOULD ask for more? Make up your mind.

My complaint was about the removal of story in Sonic games, I don't feel that strongly about the alt forms of gameplay; but I still wouldn't argue against having more of them, because that would be against my self interest of playing a videogame with variety in it.

It's perplexing that people plays Sonic for the story and defend overused alt gameplay. Quality over quantity.

Complaining that you lost something is not the same as complaining that you gained something. Although quality over quantity is a good idea, we should be hoping to get both; because I certainly don't see losing something because the developer couldn't achieve it in time as a positive, it makes me wish the developer had more time.

Emitan

The problem with the Werehog was not that it was a werehog, but that it was poor gameplay. Polish and more development time would have fixed that.

The reason I became a Sonic fan was because of that classic beat em up gameplay.

I don't care if the werehog segments were better than Bayonetta. There is nothing Sonic about them. If Super Mario Galaxy made me play a super polished Star Fox mission in between every platforming stage would it be a better game?

I think I had a dream last night where I was being forced to play Sonic 2K6 by... something. Funny thing is, looking back on it, it wasn't even Sonic 2K6, I just identified it as such.

Weird.

On a more lighthearted note, I was just considering the implications that Eggman gets all the Chaos Emeralds that you don't in a given Sonic game (moreso the Genesis games than recent titles, admittedly, but still). Now I have the mental image of Eggman tumbling through rotating mazes, running through tubes dodging bombs, grabbing blue spheres, hurtling himself into UFOs... Amazing.

qq more

The problem with the Werehog was not that it was a werehog, but that it was poor gameplay.
I don't recall specifically say that the problem was exactly the fact Sonic turned into a werehog. Just sayin'

Polish and more development time would have fixed that.
No it wouldn't. Werehog takes so god damn long that 75% of the playtime is that stupid brawler that has absolutely no place in a game like Sonic. I wouldn't of have liked it even if it was polished.

Sega is bad at making their ideas a reality when they have to meet a deadline. Having them stop making ideas because they are bad at implementing them is a bad solution to the problem.
A lot of these ideas are bad though, therefore it's smart of them to stop trying with these stupid ideas. :| If they want to do it so badly they should just add a few special levels (Example: Sky Chase/Sand Hill from Adventure 1). Alternative gameplay but does not take up a large portion of the game.

So you only want to talk about the stuff required to get to the end credits? That seems pretty arbitrary, even Mario games don't make things just for the end credits; in fact, almost half of the content of the 3D Mario games is unnecessary to reach the end credits.

The Chao games are still gameplay.
Do you even know what I meant by "alt gameplay" from the start? Stop bringing up Chao Garden, they are UNRELATED to what I was complaining about. I was talking about stuff like shooting/fishing/emerald hunting/etc. Seriously, context dude.

You mean something from 1993 is less elaborate than something made over a decade later? I expect things to improve and grow over time, not be stagnant to early 90's standards.
...I have absolutely no idea where you're going with this.

Sonic Adventure 2 was all about having those three types of gameplay, and Sonic Unleashed was about having the duality of the werehog and the running stages. They would logically all have gotten sizable parts of the game, and they did; much in the same way the majority of the Mario Galaxy games was about traversing different planetoids, and a sizable segment of Mario Sunshine was about cleaning the goo from the environment.

A game does exactly what it says on the box, gee what a problem.
Why on earth would you compare Mario Galaxy's planetoids to Sonic's alt gameplay? Mario Galaxy STILL played like a 3D Mario game with a different approach to level design. Apple and oranges.

Also I don't give a damn what the box says. Does not change the fact that alt gameplays takes up so much of the game making it mostly unenjoyable to me.

On a side note: I've yet to play Mario Sunshine, so I have nothing to say about that game.

WillyFive

The reason I became a Sonic fan was because of that classic beat em up gameplay.

I don't care if the werehog segments were better than Bayonetta. There is nothing Sonic about them. If Super Mario Galaxy made me play a super polished Star Fox mission in between every platforming stage would it be a better game?

I don't know, is it good? Super Mario Land was good:

250px-SarasalandBoxArt.png

And guess what that had:

Muda.PNG

No it wouldn't. Werehog takes so god damn long that 75% of the playtime is that stupid brawler that has absolutely no place in a game like Sonic. I wouldn't of have liked it even if it was polished.

I guess I'm more open minded. Just being there is not enough to bother me.

A lot of these ideas are bad though, therefore it's smart of them to stop trying with these stupid ideas. :| If they want to do it so badly they should just add a few special levels (Example: Sky Chase/Sand Hill from Adventure 1). Alternative gameplay but does not take up a large portion of the game.

Do you even know what I meant by "alt gameplay" from the start? Stop bringing up Chao Garden, they are UNRELATED to what I was complaining about. I was talking about stuff like shooting/fishing/emerald hunting/etc. Seriously, context dude.

I...I...guess I don't? I just understood 'alt gameplay' as gameplay alternative to the Sonic stages.

...I have absolutely no idea where you're going with this.

Sonic in 1991 went pretty fast by 1991 standards, but obviously something like that released today would be pretty slow by today's standards. Mario 64's worlds are downright tiny today, even though they were very impressive and sprawling back in 1996. Shooters back then were also more simplistic, you usually couldn't even aim up or down. I don't think we should be judging today's videogames to the standards of two decades ago, because it keeps us from doing new and bigger things.

Why on earth would you compare Mario Galaxy's planetoids to Sonic's alt gameplay? Mario Galaxy STILL played like a 3D Mario game with a different approach to level design. Apple and oranges.

Also I don't give a damn what the box says. Does not change the fact that alt gameplays takes up so much of the game making it mostly unenjoyable to me.

In a platformer, level design makes a huge, in some cases all the difference; since that is practically the entire gameplay and objective of a platformer. I was comparing SMG's planetoids to Sonic's alt gameplay because both are the main attraction of the game. Having control of three different types of characters to see both sides of the coin, switching between teams of three to overcome obstacles, going from high-speed stages to beat-them-up brawlers, to playing both 2D and 3D versions of the same stages; those are alt gameplay being the point of the game.

It is very obvious from the start that you don't enjoy it, but I don't consider it right to drop it because people didn't like it instead of keeping improving upon it and making it better.

Also, as to Mario Sunshine, it's a cool game (too hard for me though, could never get all of the stars).

Emitan

The majority of Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Unleashed are spent doing things other than platforming. When does it become a spinoff?

qq more

I don't know, is it good? Super Mario Land was good:

250px-SarasalandBoxArt.png

And guess what that had:

Muda.PNG
READ HER POST. SHE SAID BETWEEN EVERY PLATFORMING STAGE. NOT AN ALT GAMEPLAY THAT OCCURS TWICE.

SERIOUSLY

I'm done arguing with you. You keep missing the point of what we're trying to say. Holy shit.

WillyFive

The majority of Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Unleashed are spent doing things other than platforming. When does it become a spinoff?

When it stops having this:

320px-Redmountain.png

350px-Dragonroad.png

READ HIS POST. HE SAID BETWEEN EVERY PLATFORMING STAGE. NOT AN ALT GAMEPLAY THAT OCCURS TWICE.

SERIOUSLY

I'm done arguing with you. You keep missing the point of what we're trying to say. Holy shit.

No need to get mad. It's just videogames.

And besides, what would be the problem if those levels were between every platforming stage? There would simply be more of them. They weren't even bad or anything.

qq more

I'm not mad because video games, I'm mad because you keep taking the context out of our posts. It's annoying.

EDIT: also I'm really tired so I'm really cranky now

Emitan

And besides, what would be the problem if those levels were between every platforming stage? There would simply be more of them. They weren't even bad or anything.

Did you miss everyone's complaints about alt gameplay in this thread all the time? Do you see the threads on NeoGAF where people have written off the Sonic franchise forever because of this stuff? People do not like the alt gameplay. It's not very good and IT'S NOT SONIC.

WillyFive

Did you miss everyone's complaints about alt gameplay in this thread all the time? Do you see the threads on NeoGAF where people have written off the Sonic franchise forever because of this stuff? People do not like the alt gameplay. It's not very good and IT'S NOT SONIC.

Yes, I've seen them. I am very familiar with them. Arguing about it got me this nice little tag in the Sonic 4 thread. I still don't agree with them.

I don't care about what arbitrary thing based on nostalgia makes Sonic Sonic. "Its not Sonic!" "It's not Sonic!" "It's not Sonic!", I didn't think that was a good argument back then and still don't think it is now.

We should be hoping for good games, not complaining that "the physics are closer to the Advance games than the Genesis games" (an actual argument from Sonic 4) or that "those hunting stages I don't like come inbetween the Sonic stages I do like". Even if the hunting stages are poor, the problem shouldn't be that they exist. The problem is that they should be better.

Sciz

Changing the gameplay style up occasionally isn't inherently a bad thing, and it's probably safe to say that most games do it. The problem is that you've either got to integrate alternatives into the core mechanics (e.g. using vehicles in any open world game ever) or you have to use them very sparingly, lest your game lose focus. Earthworm Jim 2 and Mega Man 8 are both great examples of the latter going wrong. When you're just running around shooting things they're great, but the designers went out of their way to introduce levels that didn't involve running around shooting things. Consequently, the player can never settle into a comfortable groove because he's always having to learn new rules that aren't additive to what he already knows. It makes for a poorly-paced game with an identity crisis that few people are going to like in its entirety, no matter how well the alternate modes are implemented.

The other mistake you can make, if you're going to make alternate gameplay mandatory, is not empowering the player when you do it. A shmup segment in a platformer? Okay, now you can fly around and shoot stuff at will, that's a neat step up from your baseline abilities. A stealth segment in an FPS? Damnit why can't I just run around and shoot anymore, this sucks.

If it boils down to just being a minigame, just go ahead and make it an optional minigame. If you're going to really flesh out more than one style of gameplay, go all the way and segregate them properly. Doing entire campaigns for each style tends to make the game feel disjointed (looking at you, SA1 and RE6), but it's a better solution than mashing them all together.

tl;dr If you can draw comparisons to WarioWare and you aren't making a WarioWare clone, stop and take a good hard look at your game.

We should be hoping for good games, not complaining that "the physics are closer to the Advance games than the Genesis games" (an actual argument from Sonic 4)

When you call yourself Sonic 4, marketed as a return to the Genesis games...you damn well better play like the fuckin' Genesis games.

and on my take on the whole alt-gameplay debate, if the past, oh, 15 years has said anything, is that Sega can't do alt gameplay worth a damn. Emerald hunting sucks, Eggman walker levels suck, fishing sucks, go-karts suck, Telekinetic fake-ass Source Engine Silver the Hedgehog sucks, ship-battles in SRA sucks, Werehog sucks; etc. Hell, they can barely make good Sonic gameplay, much less the lesser add-ons. They should streamline the experience and focus on something they can get good at, work on making that one core gameplay idea as good as possible. A concise, sharp, well-crafted Sonic game, with no tedious, mediocre side-games and hanger-ons to try and boost game length. Sonic Colors did this and it's the best console Sonic since 1994.

Yes, I've seen them. I am very familiar with them. Arguing about it got me this nice little tag in the Sonic 4 thread. I still don't agree with them.

I don't care about what arbitrary thing based on nostalgia makes Sonic Sonic. "Its not Sonic!" "It's not Sonic!" "It's not Sonic!", I didn't think that was a good argument back then and still don't think it is now.

We should be hoping for good games, not complaining that "the physics are closer to the Advance games than the Genesis games" (an actual argument from Sonic 4) or that "those hunting stages I don't like come inbetween the Sonic stages I do like". Even if the hunting stages are poor, the problem shouldn't be that they exist. The problem is that they should be better.

I think you are saying some progressive things but consider this:

If hunting stages were removed, SA2 would be better.

The problem is that for the longest time - all the way up until around Sonic Unleashed, actually - Sonic Team was stretching themselves very thinly. They were essentially making anywhere from 3-6 completely different games. With the way budgets and deadlines can be, there is a very real plateau for how much "better" you can put in your game. And the more disparate styles you include, the less time you have for "better".

Cut Knuckles and Rouge out of the game, and suddenly you have 33% more time to work on the parts people actually like. That's better.

I've personally never heard what you are talking about with Sonic 4, however. I agree that those people were probably crazy and splitting hairs a bit, but making sure the game controls well is kind of the single most important thing any videogame needs to get right. Sonic 4 did not. A lot of Sonic games these days do not. Even games like Sonic Generations have kind of shitty, weird control problems that one would think should not exist but somehow do. Better controls makes literally everything else about a game better.

I would trade all the little half-ass side missions in the world for more full-length Sonic levels. Hell, I'd sacrifice all those mini-me versions of the levels in Generations for a real, full second act with each character.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Since when did we argue in this thread? Sheesh.

Nert said:
I've been pleasantly surprised with storytelling in games lately, actually. Ghost Trick and Botanicula do a lot of wonderful storytelling through expressive animations and bizarre sound effects, for example. Then you have innovative things like Bastion's narration system and Journey's storytelling through environmental design and mechanics instead of words. I do agree that most higher budget games could benefit from a "less is more" approach.
Oh man, I keep forgetting to listen to the Botanicula soundtrack; thanks for reminding me. Those seem to be the exceptions in a wide array of games. Stuff like Ghost Trick is more of a narrative-focused game where the storytelling is based in text. A lot of care and attention to detail is placed into making the models animate well and tell the player a story behind the character animating. Then you have some games where it's mostly gibberish and while you can't understand what's being said, actions, clever animations, and body language speak ever so louder than words.

Meanwhile, other games whether high budget or low budget use dialogue more than body language or character animations to tell its story or to tell the audience what the character is like. It ends up turning into a lecture or a text dump. Sometimes the dialogue sounds like it's waffling through the plot or the character growth and as a result it sounds meaningless. There's little room for silly animations or nice animations on behalf of the character to add levity or contextual meaning to the situation. Storytelling in this fashion is utterly boring to me. A lot of RPGs fall victim to this, which is strange to me given that in the past, they concentrated on animations more often. Now it seems like there's more of a fixation on facial expressions and while that's all fine and dandy, it isn't enough. Language does not stop at the mouth or the face. Language involves the entire body.

But while I'm doing my playthrough of Final Fantasy IV in the anniversary thread, even though I don't like the game much, I can't help but to feel that one of the best things in that game are the animations a little bit. They aren't outstanding by any means, but scenes like this:
QYLue.png
TEId6.png
IHfyb.png

yjPyv.png
LAGWf.png
qkkGD.png

I’ve always liked this scene. Again, I’m dismayed that the DS version didn’t have anything like this. So basically, Haddock told the dwarf nurses to fix the ship and put mystic silver, and he made Cena start doing some of the work. Cena pleads for the others to stop Haddock from taking him away from spectating but to no avail. He lazes around and Haddock watches him like a hawk, presumably yelling at him. And then for some reason, the nurses are running around trying to learn how to fix the airship and one falls off the bridge. Haddock doesn’t notice for a while because he’s yelling at Cena until he turns around and sees. Then everyone tries to help the poor dwarf nurse up.

Do you see how much story is told just by the freaking animations alone?! This is called good scene direction. You do not need pages and pages and pages of dialogue to tell your story. You don’t need 10-minute cutscenes featuring a monologue or characters talking back and forth to expand some stuff in a story or to symbolize a change in a character. Character animations and sprite animations in detail are things I cherish very much when it comes to storytelling in games, and there aren’t a lot of games that have that anymore. People seem to want to make (barely) interactive movies more than games, I guess, and rely a ton on dialogue rather than pretending that the game part of the game is probably just as important. Hm.
And even the 1000 Words cutscene in Final Fantasy X-2 have given me enough story and enough things to put 2 and 2 together so I could come up with the entire picture myself; it was probably the best cutscene in that entire game. I hate it when the story spoonfeeds me with lengthy dialogue segments where I feel like the characters say nothing or don't ever give me insight into their behaviours or their personalities. And they seem to lack contextual body language a lot, which communicates far more about the character than dialogue ever could. All of this fixation of facial expressions and yet nothing's going into body animations. It's annoying and it adds to the unbelievability of the character.

Gravijah kept telling me to play Journey and I didn't listen cuz I was waiting for the collection. >.>

Heck, Tales of Xillia has this chicken dance animation that I find neat (this is just a sidequest cutscene in Japanese; no spoilers outside of in-game costume spoilers but there are only 4 costumes in that game anyway; heck, I use the same costume for Milla because it's a million times better than her default/the palette swap of the default).

At least with silent protagonists in the past, you sometimes could rely on the character's animations to help tell the story rather than mostly relying on the dialogue of other characters. I praise The Wind Waker's, Skyward Sword's, Classic Sonic in Generations', Suikoden's (well, mostly 3 scenes) and Suikoden II's animations (TWO silent characters including the protagonist and they are handled so damn well due to their animations alone) so much because they tell me so much about the silent protags through multiple frames of animation alone.

(Oh, lol, I found this old post of mine saying almost the same thing. In the same breath I kind of imply that voice acting has ruined some talking protags for me.)

WillyFive said:
I... sorta understand this, but perhaps better direction/a better plan to go about it would have helped too. The major problems were: lack of speed, framerate drops, and shitty balancing; why oh why did SEGA poorly balance the Werehog?

When you level the Werehog up a lot, it's workable and easy to do stages in a very short amount of time. But at the beginning when the balancing's weird, it shouldn't take the player half an hour to finish a stage in a Sonic game. At all. Yes, you may avoid some of the enemies and pull switches when you aren't getting attacked and swarmed, but those damn bees especially in parts where you have to fight them? Having to grind the Werehog for a while to get through things quickly?

No Sega, no.

Who here likes the Boost mechanic? I think it can stay. It's grown on me :p

Boost mechanic is cool, it's part of what makes the modern Sonic games what they are for me, the rush series version (which actually birthed the concept I think) is okay but I feel they in particular rely too much on it for the level design, as in a lot of hold boost and run through everything.

Yea, Boost is okay but they really need to change it up. When it's just bulldoze through everything...until you run out of juice and get hit...it gets a tad boring after awhile. I'm not sure how they could innovate it but they could think of something...

BlackJace

I liked how Rush did it actually. I loved the sensation of feeling like a maniac and bulldozing through shit. There's was this one part in Altitude Limit where you were running up this long ass incline, and boosting up it felt so gooood.

Who here likes the Boost mechanic? I think it can stay. It's grown on me :p

I thought it was okay in the Rush series, but in the 360/PS3 version of Unleashed it felt like it was a bit overpowered/unbalanced or rather there was too much of an opportunity to spam it...the way it was used in the Wii version was better though.

it worked fine for Colors and Generations, so I guess as long as there a better balance/design for it, I guess I'm fine with the mechanic. I would like to see the Spin Dash (and maybe CD's Super Peel Out) properly return for modern though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I like Boost. Sometimes it's fun has heck. The only thing is that you've gotta learn how to control it in circumstances where it's overpowered. At the very least, Colours limits how many times you may use it.

Anyway, Sonic Jump's gonna have some good music, right?

As shitty as the game is, I always thought the first stage theme of Sonic Labyrinth was kinda catchy. Not in a "Wow, this is good" way, but more like a "Huh, this isn't too bad" sorta thing.

I'm rather fond of a few of Drift 2's tracks, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom